Author Topic: Daylight Savings Ends Oct. 29, 2006!  (Read 10315 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Daylight Savings Ends Oct. 29, 2006!
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:37:47 pm »
Good riddance, I say... anyway, don't forget to update your profiles (because phpBB sucks and doesn't do this for you.) Those of you living in the Pacific time zone should use GMT - 8 hours. Those of you in Mountain should use GMT - 7 hours, and so forth.

For those of you in Arizona and Indiana, I have no idea.

Mod edit: Changed subject line to avoid date confusion (previously said "TODAY")
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:07:51 pm by JeffT »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Daylight Savings Ends TODAY!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:48 pm »
oh yeahh i alsoys forget for the longest time i had no idea when people posted cuz my clock was about 5 hours off now its only 2
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Daylight Savings Ends TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »
This year, 2007, Daylight Savings Time ends a week later.

Have your clocks "fall Back" one hour on Nov. 4.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:41:21 pm »
Thanks for thinking of us Gus, but yep. Calendar makers LIE -- Clocks actually change next weekend.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21490034/

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »
Thanks for thinking of us Gus, but yep. Calendar makers LIE -- Clocks actually change next weekend.

He is right. Clocks not only change next weekend, but also changed 52 weeks ago, which is when he posted the message.

I'm going to look into changing everyone's profile on this forum automatically (if SMF can't already). No reason every single user should have to do it manually, when we can.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:26:33 pm »
I'm going to look into changing everyone's profile on this forum automatically (if SMF can't already). No reason every single user should have to do it manually, when we can.

yay!!! thaks for makng our lifes easier!
and between mid terms and weekly quizes and cleanin house before my future inlaws come and stay with us i needs all da help we's k'n get

and otherwise my time would be an hour off for the next year...
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:29:04 am »
BSD (I think...), Linux, OSX, and Windows, when fully updated, already have up to date automatic compensation for DST.  Updating a profile should NOT be required...

What sucks are all the stupid things in my house, that were made before congress thought it would be Quite a lovely idea to screw with DST's starting and stopping time, instead of just removing it and having us all use a single time all year in the first place.

They're now off for the 1-3 weeks (at either end) of the old DST shift...  So I have to manually set the time four times a year, instead of never. (Well, when I notice drift from my computer which is synced online...)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:39:39 am »
BSD (I think...), Linux, OSX, and Windows, when fully updated, already have up to date automatic compensation for DST.  Updating a profile should NOT be required...

phpbb didn't read DST, but instead had the user configure an absolute offset from UTC in their profiles. SMF is probably better, I just need to check.

What sucks are all the stupid things in my house, that were made before congress thought it would be Quite a lovely idea to screw with DST's starting and stopping time, instead of just removing it and having us all use a single time all year in the first place.

The NIST WWV broadcast sends the DST schedule. Compliant devices should read it, rather than using anything hardcoded. Indeed, one of my radio set clocks actually correctly updated at the new date, even though it was made before the DST schedule change was contemplated.

However, agreed on abolishing DST. Here's the funny thing. Our country was obsessed with the disasters that might occur on Y2K, not realizing that the maintainers of embedded and other critical systems are always on alert for a multitude of possible software and design bugs that could otherwise, if not addressed, cause sudden failures, which the public remains unaware of. Yet they will happily, on a whim, support a law to change the schedule a couple years out which causes the need to redesign and support changes in an enormous array of embedded software.

So they make these estimates on how much energy will be saved by extending DST a few measly weeks. Did the resources wasted by reprogramming computer systems, and supporting problems caused by systems which were not fixed in time (or neglected) even factor in? Does anyone think we came out ahead?

Aren't the problems caused by having daylight time changes twice every single year worse than the one-time event of a few Y2K bugs?

Software developers and especially those who deal with databases and transactional or distributed systems (those resembling state machines, etc.) will know what I'm talking about here: The fact that government authorities can change a scientific scale on a whim and for the future makes human notations of time, a supposedly scientific measurement, non-deterministic. I thought the whole direction of science was finding eternal, constant definitions for bases of measure, such as the one remaining one, mass (the kilogram). One could argue that the need for leap seconds causes that anyway, but there's no reason to make things more complicated than need be.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:57 am »
It was awesome, half of the clocks in Steve's house automatically did the time change and half stayed the same. So now I have to keep adding an hour when I look at the clocks and it is totally throwing me off. 

Post this again next weekend =D

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 01:27:06 pm »
This really needed a new post rather than bumping an old one and giving people the impression that the clocks change earlier than they do.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 03:03:04 pm »

That's what I said.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 03:09:05 pm »
This really needed a new post rather than bumping an old one and giving people the impression that the clocks change earlier than they do.

Thread subject edited to fix the confusion.