Author Topic: Fanfic Bedtime Stories! --a Kumoricon first  (Read 19650 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Fanfic Bedtime Stories! --a Kumoricon first
« on: August 20, 2004, 08:56:14 am »
New and exciting this year is the addition of FanFic Bedtime Stories!

Wear your cosplay or your pj's or something comfy.....
bring bedding and your plushies if you can....

and cozy up for a lovely, relaxing but enthralling evening of bedtime stories as you've never had them before.

everyone, from the newbie to the pro, is welcome to:

(a) bring your own fanfics and read them to the crowd;
(b) bring others' fics (with their permission) and read them to the crowd;
(c) bring your own fics, and have one of our talented volunteers read them to the crowd;
(d) bring others' fics (with their permission) and read them to the crowd;
(e) offer your services in reading fics from authors who couldn't attend or preferred to have them read by others;
(f) turn in fics for the fanfic contest--whether or not you desire to have them read to the crowd;
(g) or just cozy up and listen contentedly :)

see you there!

this event will be held on sunday night (time to be announced).

it will take place in the salem room -- the room dedicated to all things fanfic on sunday and monday, and site of the Beta Station on those days, and the fanfic workshop/ panel on sunday.  (please see also separate threads.)

the salem room is 22 feet by 19 feet. when there are chairs, it seats 40. those will be stacked for this event, to add to the slumber party ambiance.

the salem room is on the main floor. it is next to the medford room. it is also next to the stairs down to the gaming rooms. it is across the hall from (and slightly over from) the main salons/ballroom.

see you there!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 01:38:05 am »
I was wondering how people were going to be able to sleep without another slumber party!
Cool!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 10:44:04 pm »
hi, tom!
would you like to come and read any of your own work?
or volunteer to read the works of others, who lack your stage presence and experience?
or have yours read by anyone?
or just sit and relax?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 10:53:07 pm »
*snorts disbelief*
Uhh... MY work!?

I technically did some fanfics but they're not anime and I never finished the real fanfics.
I just do little participatory self-inserts on webcomic forums.
Heck, one wasn't so much a fanfic as it was a MST script.

Though I suppose that "Return to the Pride Lands" would make a pretty awesome story if I ever finished it.

I might stop by but I won't be reading anything by me.
I think that I might be able to read a fanfic by someone else if they don't want to. I'm an elementary education major so storytelling to groups is something that I have some skill in.

Especially if there's pictures.
*giggle*
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:07:43 pm »
awesome, tom! i hope someone puts your talents to great use :)

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:00:26 pm »
You know, I was looking for an excuse to write more fanfics but I didn't think I could make the fanfic contest with all the other stuff I've to do at the con... this just might be worthy. If all else fails, I'll come by and listen to a few stories!

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:48:23 pm »
your fics do not have to be new to you, to qualify for our contest and our bedtime stories event! in fact, even if they have been professionally published they would still qualify for our contest! so please submit at least one, i'd love to read your work!

thanks for your interest :)

oh, and my manager approved my time off request, so i will be able to attend the con on sunday! yay!!!!

fondly,
rem.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:28 pm »
also please recall, the endtime of this event will mark the due date for submissions for our fanfic contest.

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 11:57:52 pm »
My entry to the contest is too long probably to be read in its entirety as a bedtime story. It's as big as a novella, and while people have found it fairly enthralling I don;t want to take up that much time when there are other people who would want to read their stories.

Is it OK to read just the first three or four chapters of a longer saga, even if it ends on a cliffhanger?

I know I wrote an OC, and while she;s not an obvious Mary Sue and she does have a legitimate reason to be in the world, she is extremely capable. I also feature a canon character who is not quite a canon character -- a total rebirth gave me the opprotuntiy to totally redefine him, but I wondeer if that's a fair game now.

Anyway, can i read a few chapters?
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 11:32:30 pm »
though i replied to you, michael, in our yahoo group, i will reprint here, for other folks' edification:

novella-length fics are fine for bedtime stories. however, their authors (or surrogate readers) will have to select "cliffhanger" stopping points and let others read in between their chapters. :)

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 09:13:42 pm »
Wth my story structuredas a serial, with plenty of cliffhangers, that shouldn;t be a problem. I modeled my story after the idea of a 13-part Slayers sequel set 25 years later. The heroine is Lina and Gourry's daughter, Anya Inverse. One of Amelia and Zelgadis' sons plays a major role in the sotry, which revolves around a girl who is actually the du\aughter of Xellos and struggling between her human and Mazoku sides. Valgaav -- the one who hatched fronm the egg that came down from the sky into Filia's arms at the end of the original series -- is a major character, and Filia shows up as well, as do, of course, Lna and Gourry.

Xellos is cast in an unsual role for him -- as the centrail villain. All he wants is a father-and-dauighter reunion. unfortunately such a reunion could destroy the world....

And I bet nobody who hasn;t seen Slayers all the way though understood a word I said....
Michael Hopcroft Press

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 12:28:59 am »
Will there be soda (diet or otherwise) at the event? I'll be in the hotel this year after all, but it sure would be nice if I had something to drink while I was listening to the fics.

I also haven;t decided wehther to read my story myself or go through a surrogate. I can correct my own typos if I read it myself, but usually it's pretty obvious what i meant to say. And listening to someone else reading the adventures of Anya Inverse sounds like fun.... :)
Michael Hopcroft Press

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 08:56:19 pm »
i do not believe we would be allowed to sell soda. my understanding, from peter at the most recent staff meeting, is that the con received, from the hotel, a limited exception: we may purvey only things that would not be readily available in a neighboring store. some will be selling pocky. i would be willing to front a little money to pick up a few things at an asian store, that we could offer for sale/donation; but any soda available readily in stores would be outside the exception.

there will probably be vending machines in the hotel? contact the hotel for details.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 01:29:29 am »
by the way:
songfics and filks are welcome!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 08:04:56 am »
due to popular demand, we are relocating to a larger room:
salon A, site of last night's beta station :)