Author Topic: Salem area anime fans unite for possible meetup!!!  (Read 7462 times)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Salem area anime fans unite for possible meetup!!!
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:10:06 am »
Please post if you are a Salem area anime fan!  If there is enough interest, we should have some kind of meet up at the con...  I am going to be there with my friend and his sis...  anyone else??
The trick is not minding.

Offline RaySilver

• Oni
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 04:19:25 pm »
Hey That sounds like a great idea you will have to pm me with the infor

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 05:39:54 pm »
Cool, it'd be neat to know others in the Salem area.  :D

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:34:37 pm »
I'd love to meet other fans in the Salem area! PM me with details!
Bunny_Mae
~I'm Addicted to Chocolate, I used to Snort Cocoa~

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 11:32:41 am »
Im in Salem, and so is my roomate ^____________^

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 01:50:09 pm »
Oooh, you know what I wanna do (maybe I'm the only one, but...) is have a picnic at the waterfront for lunch one of the days at the con (weather permitting). I think it'd be awesome to have a get together for that! Let me know what you think, I can bring some extra food and stuff (as hopefully a few others might). Would be fun in cos too hehe.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:18:30 pm »
You know, I think a picnic would be an awesome idea.  When I was thinking about this, I imagined that we would find a place to meet up at the con and then go eat or something.  But, a picnic sounds like an awesome idea.  Lets discuss that more...

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 10:50:54 pm »
:) Yay! Well, I was thinking that maybe Saturday would be the best day. Sunday is the cos contest (meaning people are going to be a bit busier), and I think that maybe we'd want to meet eachother the first day so there's a few more familiar faces while we're there. :) That, and if we brought food for the picnic we wouldn't have to worry about storing it all weekend. I'm just not too sure what time would be most ideal on Saturday since I don't have schedule specifics. Also, if the weather is crummy on Saturday I suppose we could still have one, just indoors or in a covered area.

Offline Sushi_Glomper

• Cabbit
    • http://www.geocities.com/sushiglomper
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 03:27:04 am »
Im a salemonite too  :D
<3 Sushi G

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 07:52:40 am »
I am not so sure I can make it to any type of get together (I will have my two younger siblings to look after at the con and I dont think they would wat to meet other people (they are rather shy creatures  :wink: )) But do any of you go to the Salem Area Anime Meetings ( or whatever its called) I know its on the Chekemeta campus, i go to Chemeketa, but I have never been and my older sister says, from experience, that there are some stange people that go to it. Well all anime fans are going to be strange and they was several years ago but would any body be interested in  forming a new anime club in Salem? We could rent a place, like a gaming room at Border Lands and that way no one would have to worry about their parents freeking out if it was at someones house. And we could all bring snacks and our anime dvds/vhs's and watch them! I dont know what kind of equipment Border Lands has. I will ask my brother, he and his friends rented the back room for Dungens and Dragons before Border lands moved. If he doesnt know anything I will call the store directly and ask them. Or does any one have anyother places they would like to suggest? If we did it during the day I think we might be able to get a room at the Salem library but I am not sure on that one either. Any other idea/comments/suggestions?
Bunny_Mae

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 10:43:36 am »
I don't think there's anything wrong w/the one at Chemeketa. As a matter of fact David asked me if I could help him with the club the last time I talked to him. Doing things at the college is pretty ideal since we can use their rooms/equipment for free. I know the guy that runs the theatre too, and I bet if I asked really nice we could get him to let us have some events in there too. We had a LOTR showing in there once and that was pretty awesome. It was the day before the premeire of the third one, so we watched the first two in the theatre, then drove to see the midnight premiere of the third. I'm going into my third year at Chemeketa, so I'm getting the hang of things over there. I'm sure we can make things run more smoothly soon. ;)

Oh, and I was asking a different friend coincidentally about having events at Borderlands also (for more late night stuff) that could very well be in the works soon.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:38:41 pm »
I am ALL ABOUT an anime club in salem.  I used to go to the Chemeketa club but then it dissapeared and apparently it is back, but we are waiting for school to start up again.  But, there isn't a reason we can't have more than one club either.   :wink:   I guess it just depends on where and when the CCC club meets.  

I have quite lots and lots of anime on dvd and if anyone is into it I have TONS of chinese/hong kong live action films on VCD and DVD (like 140 and counting...).  I have always had this dream of an anime/live action HK cinema club where the first 2-3 hours we watch anime, and then the last 2 hours we watch a live action HK film (martial arts, swordplay, mafia, crime dramas, etc...)  

Either way, I think it is a good idea that we meet up and start talking about what we can do to make a group or combine with the existing groups or whatever.  I also know that there is a small anime club that meets at McKay High School on Fridays, and there is a whole nother group of kids we could get in on the anime action.

I like the ideas so far about meeting up at the con.  Perhaps as it gets closer we can think about a nice afternoon time like 2-3ish??  If it rains, maybe we can just all take a walk to a nice covered area or something.  Anyway, I like the way this is sounding... :D

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 12:42:01 pm »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
I know the guy that runs the theatre too, and I bet if I asked really nice we could get him to let us have some events in there too.

You know that back in the day with the original SAAS club all the meetings were in the theater room on Friday nights for 3 hours...  If you could swing that theater room again that would RULE!!!

Please at least keep me updated about stuff because I am very willing to help as much as I can.

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 02:06:12 pm »
Having it on campus would make it easier, since I have classes on campus. I am sorry I dissed the anime club at Chemeketa, my sister took classes there three or four years ago and she had stories about certain members of the club then, now I am sure there are different members and I am sorry id anything I said earlier hurt anyones feelings.
I like all of your ideas about a new and/or combines with an old group for an anime get together.      
Watching Anime in the theater would be awsome. And your right that Chemeketa would have all of the equipment we would need. Anyways, keep me posted, like I said before I am not going to be able to meet you at the Con but maybe I someone would pm me their e-mail address or something so I can stay in contact with them after the con and if you decide anything at the con. Thanks!
Bunny_Mae

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 05:18:10 pm »
if any of you want to email me about anything (just to get it out there now) it's @gmail.com  (my screenie before the @ obviously, I just don't want to get spammed is all lol)
Oh, and I don't feel like you were dissing them or anything, it's just I know that a lot has to have changed since I know david's been putting quite a bit of work into making the club successful.
I'm gonna take a nap now heh. I went to Portland today to pick up parking passes and map things out. Oh, and I'd like to mention that if you go to the building where the Portland Transportation office is (on 5th street 8th floor) if you have a resident come with you you can get scratch-off permits that are each good for a whole day that you can use in that zone and they're $3.00 for a book of 10. Worth a little bit of extra walking I think.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 10:43:50 pm »
Alright does like 12-1 sound good for a Saturday picnic. The schedule says that's the time for the volunteer meeting, so unless you are volunteering we wouldn't miss anything having it then. :)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 09:03:55 am »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
Alright does like 12-1 sound good for a Saturday picnic. The schedule says that's the time for the volunteer meeting, so unless you are volunteering we wouldn't miss anything having it then. :)

That sounds good, but the only problem is that the vendor hall opens at 12 and I for one want to get right in there and check stuff out...  Would it be cool if we had it from like 1-2???  Also we should clarify a meeting spot, maybe just around the front lobby, like around the check in or something.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 11:50:21 am »
Okay, that sounds good. We'll plan to meet at 1pm. I don't know the exact layout of the hotel, but I'm sure there's a main lobby we can plan on meeting at. I bought some fixings to make sushi and yaki soba today, which I will make tomorrow before I leave. To everyone that plans on going: bring what you can so we can be sure there'll be enough for everyone. :)