Author Topic: AMV rules and guidelines  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV rules and guidelines
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
So people have told me there 2 months left to submit one.

But where the heck on the homepage can I find the rules and guidlines??

Like how long black space has to be at the opening and endning?
Can we put our names in the corner of the AMV?
MPG, AVI, ect?

I cant start making one without knowing.

And while im on rules and guidlines
Has the info for then Karaoke, Mascot, or Astirt Booth come out yet?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
AMV Contest info has been up since JANUARY
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:15 am »
The Web page with the rules for the AMV competition has been up at http://www.opusnet.com/guy1656/k2007-amv.htm since JANUARY.

Guy is also arranging a KumoriCon multi editor project that EVERYONE should have fun working on. Multi editor project instructions at http://www.opusnet.com/guy1656/K2007-MEP.htm, and discussion is in the "Contests" section of the forum.

Oh, and since we made sure the web guy got a copy of the page this weekend, the info ought to be linked to the KumoriCon web site some time soon.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Contest Deadline
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:23:17 am »
The deadline day is Friday 27-July-07.

So you actually have about 3-1/2 months to go...

I have already received several sumbissions, including one direct d/l from a person's private webspace...

- GLL

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:24:50 pm »
Thannkk youuu~~~~ ^__________^
I hadnt heard any word of it until now, so I didnt know it started.

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:39:31 am »
I can't wait for this contest. I tried to enter in the Sakuracon contest, but I missed the cut-off date. I'm currently working on a new AMV just for this contest and it should be done soon. Oh, by the way, is there any way to get rid of subtitles that are part of the video file? I can't seem to figure it out. The one I'm making now has no subtitles because it's in english, but my Bleach and Hellsing and Higurashi have subtitles and I can't get rid of them  :cry: . I also have a sub-par video editing program, Windows Movie Maker :( . I am trying to get Adobe Premier. Any suggestions?
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:58:41 am »
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"
I can't wait for this contest. .... I also have a sub-par video editing program, Windows Movie Maker :( . I am trying to get Adobe Premier. Any suggestions?

Adobe Premier is a good bet. Windows Movie Maker typically outputs WMV files, which have horrid playback problems and low resolution. I'm reasonably certain WMVs are not allowed formats for the AMV competition because of those issues, so you will need a good editor.

For subtitles isses, one thing you can try is note which episodes contain the footage you need and then seek the raw versions (originals/versions without subtitles). If the series has already come out on DVD, you can extract the footage from the DVD (which will not include subtitles). One trick that you could do if it's completely impossible for you to obtain a new version of the footage is to either carefully crop the picture (cutting subtitles off) or to individually edit each frame to erase the subtitles. Naturally, that's a TON of work and takes a lot of time, but it's one solution.

I'm reasonably sure that during KumoriCon there will be some AMV editing panels (of course, that's a bit too late for you, but hey).

• Chibi
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:53 am »
Crap...Also, is there a way to get rid of the DivX symbol in the corner of the video or do I need to get different clips again?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:55:14 am »
Crap...Also, is there a way to get rid of the DivX symbol in the corner of the video or do I need to get different clips again?

It's best to get different clips. (unless you really enjoy hand editing each frame). Using Adobe After Effects you can put in frames around pictures, etc, which could effectively remove/hide those DivX symbols..

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:06:11 am »
Wait the deadline's July? Score, I thought it was June

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
DivX Tribulations
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 07:57:40 pm »
DivX is particularly NASTY about this after version 5.05. They reason that in exchange for offering the codec to you FREE, then they deserve to plaster your videos with intermittent ADs. (Die, adware, malware, scumware! Die! Die!)

The DivX logo isn't in the footage, it appeard whenever the CODEC is run. One way you might TRY to get rid of it is to use VirtualDub to output to Uncompressed AVI. Be sure to add a little Warp-Sharp filtering. Then drop those (LARGE) clips into your editing program. If that STILL doesn't work, (uuuggh!) mix up some ammonium nitrate, nitromethane, and NO ... I mean, output using some other codec like HUFFYUV or XVid, and try THOSE clips.

Often (and I hope to get to do this again) I get to convene an AMV-making workshop or panel event. It would be nice to have an AMV Creation Station - like a 3 hour 'huddle' where questions and answers can be exchanged. This made-by-fans, made-for-fans aspect of Kumoricon to me, is what blows away industry-driven cons like AX.

Good Luck! - G

• Chibi
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:48 am »
OK, I'll give that a try. Thank you guys so much for your help.  :D

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 04:55:45 pm »
OKay I have a huge problem... T.T
Im freaking out over the maximum MB size. This is why none of my AMVS are online.

I dont know why, Ive tried everything, redusing size, quality, sound. I can NEVER get an AMV below at least 800 MB without having it look like a peice of crap that came off youtube.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:39:56 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
Im freaking out over the maximum MB size. This is why none of my AMVS are online.

I dont know why, Ive tried everything, redusing size, quality, sound. I can NEVER get an AMV below at least 800 MB without having it look like a peice of crap that came off youtube.

1. What are you exporting your file as (ie, what codec are you using) from the editing program?
2. What encoding program are you using once the file is finished exporting?

My method of doing things goes like this: I export the file from the editing program as either an uncompressed AVI or an AVI encoded with Huffyuv. From there, I use VirtualDub or TMPGEnc to encode it; which one I use depends on what I want the final format to be (eg, MPEG1, MPEG2, Xvid, etc).

• Chibi
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:26:58 pm »
OK, I have another dumb question. Would Advent Children be considered anime and accepted into the contest? Please don't say I'm stupid out loud... :oops:

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
Advent Children OK.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 10:10:01 pm »
Would Advent Children be considered anime and accepted into the contest?
A: Of course - Final Fantasy / Advent Children 'count' as anime, because they are owned/created by Square-Enix Co. in:
--> Shibuya,* Tokyo, JAPAN. <--

*Shibuya not only happens to be the home of the famous Hachiko statue, but recently it has grown into an anime/cosplay center second only to Akihabara.

If anything, the most borderline and therefore difficult (imho) decision would be 'Kingdom Hearts,' because of its Disney [yuck-barf-hurl] content yet 'blessed' by Sqare Enix. So technically KH is indeed anime, (cuz it's from Sq.-Enix) albeit 'polluted' by Disney. Therefore even a KH AMV would still be OK even though charatcers like Goofy and Daffy Duck should normally seem as out-of-place at an ANIME convention as Fred Flintstone, Shaggy, Bugs Bunny, Jessica Rabbit, Akima from Titan AE, the Smurfs, or Invader Zim...

Meanwhile, does anyone know if there's a follow-on to Advent Children, called 'Lenten Children?' :wink: I would love to see someone spoof out on that, or make a link with Advent Children and an (almost forgotten) musical genre: Advent carols.
[I can only name three offhand: ' Veni, Veni Emanuel,' 'On Jordan's Bank,' and 'A Spotless Rose'**]

** which you can sing as 'A Snotless Nose' in choir and get away with it...

- G

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 11:26:39 pm »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"

1. What are you exporting your file as (ie, what codec are you using) from the editing program?

My method of doing things goes like this: I export the file from the editing program as either an uncompressed AVI or an AVI encoded with Huffyuv. From there, I use VirtualDub or TMPGEnc to encode it; which one I use depends on what I want the final format to be (eg, MPEG1, MPEG2, Xvid, etc).

See I have no idea what any of that is... T.T I just make them.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
AMV rules and guidelines
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 12:09:53 am »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"

See I have no idea what any of that is... T.T I just make them.

Okay, let's take this step by step. Kimiski, why don't you start by telling us what program(s) you are using to make your AMV's? Once we know that, we/I can help guide you to a better final product.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!