Author Topic: What do YOU wanna buy?  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« on: April 12, 2007, 03:50:43 pm »
Hey guys, here's another Artist Alley type question. (I've seen a couple of posts on the AA, but they always seem to veer OT before they answer what I want to know). SO-I'm going to have a table in the AA and am curious, what do YOU want to buy? I've sold artwork before at SakuraCon but now KumoriCon, and have always made a little money, but not very much. I think its because I didn't do artwork from series that were popular at the time.

As a con-goer, what type of artwork would you plunk down cash for? Would you be willing to spend more for original pieces, or just a small amount for prints? Does the series the fanart is from matters, or is it so broad that you can't cater to just a few particular series? IE, do you think Naruto fanart will sell better than DBZ fanart, just because it may be more popular at the time?

Lastly, what series ARE poplular right now? I know just this past SakuraCon Naruto was still big, as was FMA and Ouran High School Club. What I like to draw fanart of may not be what others like to buy.

What do you guys think? (as you are the audience I'm trying to market my artwork to!) Thanks for any input!  :)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »
little things that arn't too expencive are always nice cuz hey when you run low on money you can still get somthing, host club is really popular as is bleach
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:39 pm »
Yea, I was thinking of little things as well like bookmarks, cellphone straps made from sculpy to look like sushi, pocky boxes, etc. Thanks for the input!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:04:12 am »
Mm, Im completely opposite. I look for rare items, or from animes not as popular anymore as they use to be, like Sailor Moon, Slayers, Fushigi Yugi, ect. And yeah small items are good! I also like buying fanart if its really good.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline shadow_shrine

• Sailor Scout
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:53:46 pm »
i would definitely stop by and buy if you do some dnangel pics... im quites fond of them~
a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:32:22 pm »
oh hair thingys if you can make those sushi thingys into hair ties that'd be neat

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:00:45 am »
I'm gonna be looking for fanart of D.Grey Man and weird anime (Lain, Boogiepop, Higurashi, ect.) when I'm at the con~ If that helps with any ideas
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline OtokoNoShufu

• Sailor Scout
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:39:14 pm »
Last KCon, I did fairly better with keychains versus prints.  I think I sold maybe 4 prints tops. I was sharing my space with a friend of mine who's a more established artist online, so next to her, I looked like a hack. -_-;  But also the stuff I put out there was from series that I liked.  I also found that as good as the product is, it's not always going to sell.  Most of my stuff was King of Fighters, Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers).  My keychains this year were Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, and Roxas and Sora from KH.  My friend sold keychains of Org 13 and made bank. ^ ^;

I'm going ahead again with keychains because I found people go for them more as they aren't a burden to carry around and they tend to be cheaper than prints.  I'll probably do half-sized prints too.  

I'm sticking to my guns though about drawing from series that I know and love, so Biohazard/Resident Evil, xxxHolic/Tsubasa, Phoenix Wright, Deathnote, and maybe I'll do a Rozen Maiden set.
Am I on one of those hidden camera shows?

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 04:29:32 pm »
My problem is I'm never sure if people are going to buy *just* fanart of their favorite series, or if they like original, unknown characters as well. (if they're well done)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:51:01 pm »
buttons are always nice and gackt fan art would be so awesom :3

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:50:35 am »
I'm in Ur threedz steeling UR topic
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
Buttons are a good idea, they're small and cheap. I didn't even think about JRock/Pop fanart either. Thanks!

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 10:47:49 am »
I personally like anything that has Ichigo on it, but that's me. Buttons are sweet, as well as fan art as long as it's good quality. Sculptures/figurines are really cool as well. Little things are great too, but everyone else has said that already. I would like to see some Azumanga Daioh stuff or possibly Higurashi. I can't remember the full name for Higurashi btw. Hellsing, Busou Renkin, and Deathnote stuff would definately attract me as well as all my friends. Plushies are fun too. I just hope you aren't gonna sell craploads of Naruto stuff  :wink:.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 10:49:08 am »
Oh, and some Dir En Grey fan art would be awesome too! Especially Kyo (the singer in case you didn't know)
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 11:28:51 pm »
sticker alway are good but i have no idea if you can make them...

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 01:43:09 pm »
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"
I personally like anything that has Ichigo on it, but that's me. Buttons are sweet, as well as fan art as long as it's good quality. Sculptures/figurines are really cool as well. Little things are great too, but everyone else has said that already. I would like to see some Azumanga Daioh stuff or possibly Higurashi. I can't remember the full name for Higurashi btw. Hellsing, Busou Renkin, and Deathnote stuff would definately attract me as well as all my friends. Plushies are fun too. I just hope you aren't gonna sell craploads of Naruto stuff  :wink:.

lol Naw-not a crapload. ^^ I'll probably have some Naruto stuff since it is so popular, but I'm not a fan myself so there won't be a lot.

Offline Rei

• Oni
What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »
Stickers are a good, easy idea. I think you can buy sticker paper at OfficeDepo and the like. You'd just need a good printer so they look nice, maybe laminate the front as well.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: What do YOU wanna buy?
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 10:47:59 pm »
As far as things that I like to buy at cons, I really go for big stuff, like posters or scrolls.  If someone were to draw a wall scroll of belldandy or urd or perhaps one of the rosen maiden dolls I'd be so on it!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 02:24:04 pm »
Plushies are always good too. I personally love any anime plushies I can get my hands on.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:40:18 pm »
I like stickers, keychains, and pins- accesories in general. And I personally like original art better than fanart. And yaoi- Gotsa love the yaoi ^_^.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:18:22 pm by AnimeMatrix »

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 08:16:13 pm »
wall art. lots of wall art. I'd swoop in and acquire as much classic style anime wall art as i can.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:23:03 am »
Hard to find both here and in Japan, but I like anime-based key-chains.
BUT the type I look for are all-metal (usually die-cast) and not totally mongo-zoidal in size, say, between the size of a Kennedy 50-cent piece and a quarter. If they're too much bugger than that, they get heavy, or they tear up other stuff in your pocket. Too small though, and there's too little detail to see what the critter *IS.*

Best one I bought was a Noir medallion. It's flat like a coin; the obverse has the two-girls-with-swords logo, and the reverse has "Noir" in crosshairs and silhouettes of Mirielle and Kirika in the opening title pose.

And another thing I don't think they make, but I'd love to find: an ALL-MECHANICAL "Noir" chiming pocketwatch. No quartz please.

(PS: Trivia question: What was that Clint Eastwood western where the two duelists at the end place a chiming pocketwatch on the ground and walk around until the music stops - then DRAW.)

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
I love anything Utena, Clamp related stuff, Chicks with swords, Bleach, Trigun... etc. 

I'm also a huge Koge Donbo fan so if you did Pita ten or Di Gi Charat fanart I would love you forever.

Yeah, stickers and maybe magnets work really well. 
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 01:54:36 pm »
 I saw this at Sakura-con & I really want it!  Well, I guess I should say them.

They were two Ranma 1/2 video games for the SNES, one a fighting game, the other an RPG.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »
I collect anything and almost everything that has to do with Darkstalkers (no particular character). I like to commission artists on single characters, but I'll only ask for sketches. I'm not to fond of finished prints; they seem too commercial. I like art that I can tell was custom made.

Offline corripera

• Oni
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:46 pm »
I always like less known animes...

The most popular of the ones I like, would be Kyou Kara Maou. Wolfram is my favorite character from there. Any art or keychains for that show I would buy.

My FAVORITE anime of all time is Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness). If anyone sells ANYTHING related to that series, I would buy it in a heart beat.