Author Topic: Cosplay Chess, Anyone?  (Read 18497 times)

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2007, 10:25:23 pm »
Hehe. Wish I would have found this thread sooner. If whoever is running this needs someone whose knows his way around a chessboard, I'd love to help. I'm a member of my school's chess team and I didn't do half (2.5 points out of 5) bad at this year's state tournament.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline twtmc

• Oni
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2007, 10:37:05 pm »
Greetings from the humble twtmc! I am the organizer of the cosplay chess event at Sakuracon and Anime Evolution!

Quote from: "ThiefKingsHier"
SWEEET!!
I cant wait!!

Quote from: "Trumby"
Quote from: "Vondan"
what did they use for the floor squares at Sak Kon

I believe the person in charge sewed the board by hand. So a cloth board, though it looked pretty good.

Yea, it did but it got bunched up alot and we had to straighten it out after every game.

Actually, I think itd be easier for the audience to see the entire game if they were elevated and the players were bellow them.

Quote from: "Negima"

What seemed to make the game more fun was the players just trying to have battles and skip the strategy.

Yea..that wasnt intentional it just kinda ended up that way. ^^;

The board was sewed fabric, but mighty expensive. If I can make it to Kumoricon, I will bring it (don't count on it, but I will try). I do not suggest this route right away, as it is fairly expensive ($140 for fabric) and takes about 15-20 hours to construct. The easiest way to go is buy about 700' of tape (masking tape ran me about $15 when I did this) and lay the board out on the ground just using a tape measure and putting an X where the black squares should be. Problems that may arise though is if you can't use tape, such as what happened at SC.  Metrocon uses these foam pad things that fit together like puzzle pieces, but when I looked into buying them they were $6 a sq. ft. (to give you a perspective, a board is ~ 576 sq. ft.). The fabric wouldn't get bunched up as bad if it were held down with duct tape, but the Washington State Convention Center would only let us use Gaffer's tape (some kind of rare stage tape thats quite expensive).

As for elevation, it would be awsome if they audience was elevated. If this is not possible, have the board on the floor. Having it on the stage should be a last resort, as it just makes it hard to see. If there is a stage, put the table with the people playing chess on it, along with any hosts you might have.

For strategy; if the players use strategy, the game will go on longer  (the one game we had like this went for 45 minutes, which was a great time frame). If they aren't using strategy and just going for battles, it will last about 10-20 minutes (a bit short if you have an hour). If you are doing the latter, make sure you have lots of battles planed out in advance that are fairly lengthy and entertaining.

Finally, make sure to have a meeting with everyone involved before the game. This makes sure that they are there and know what to do. It also gives you some set up time.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2007, 10:43:30 pm »
I have about 200 bed sheets we can sew those together
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2007, 03:28:51 pm »
Quote from: "twtmc"
Greetings from the humble twtmc! I am the organizer of the cosplay chess event at Sakuracon and Anime Evolution!

The board was sewed fabric, but mighty expensive. If I can make it to Kumoricon, I will bring it (don't count on it, but I will try). I do not suggest this route right away, as it is fairly expensive ($140 for fabric) and takes about 15-20 hours to construct. The easiest way to go is buy about 700' of tape (masking tape ran me about $15 when I did this) and lay the board out on the ground just using a tape measure and putting an X where the black squares should be. Problems that may arise though is if you can't use tape, such as what happened at SC.  Metrocon uses these foam pad things that fit together like puzzle pieces, but when I looked into buying them they were $6 a sq. ft. (to give you a perspective, a board is ~ 576 sq. ft.). The fabric wouldn't get bunched up as bad if it were held down with duct tape, but the Washington State Convention Center would only let us use Gaffer's tape (some kind of rare stage tape thats quite expensive).

As for elevation, it would be awsome if they audience was elevated. If this is not possible, have the board on the floor. Having it on the stage should be a last resort, as it just makes it hard to see. If there is a stage, put the table with the people playing chess on it, along with any hosts you might have.

For strategy; if the players use strategy, the game will go on longer  (the one game we had like this went for 45 minutes, which was a great time frame). If they aren't using strategy and just going for battles, it will last about 10-20 minutes (a bit short if you have an hour). If you are doing the latter, make sure you have lots of battles planed out in advance that are fairly lengthy and entertaining.

Finally, make sure to have a meeting with everyone involved before the game. This makes sure that they are there and know what to do. It also gives you some set up time.

So basically tape for the stage? Where would you find out the rules for their stages etc? Just ask the hotel when we figure out where the event is going to be?

And I'm going to have to agree on BoredHorror on the people manuvering the chess match. Having basic knowledge of strategy with a good knowledge of those participating in the game would be better because then they'd be able to make interesting battles.

I also think getting people to make the battles last would be a good idea.. They were really short at Sakuracon which was part of the reason why the games didn't last too long.

Offline twtmc

• Oni
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »
Quote from: "kiraraplushie"
So basically tape for the stage? Where would you find out the rules for their stages etc? Just ask the hotel when we figure out where the event is going to be?

Email the programming staff, they should know.

Quote from: "kiraraplushie"

I also think getting people to make the battles last would be a good idea.. They were really short at Sakuracon which was part of the reason why the games didn't last too long.

Easier said than done. At both conventions I have (and am still trying) to do that. We will see at anime evolution how it goes with second year players.

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2007, 07:12:50 pm »
Quote from: "twtmc"
Easier said than done. At both conventions I have (and am still trying) to do that. We will see at anime evolution how it goes with second year players.
Very true. We'll see what happens though.

And thanks, I'll make sure to give that a shot!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2007, 11:18:18 pm »
OMG U GUYS!! *dances in the middle of her backroom*

Do you REALLY know what all this means? And the forum for dance music suggestions came out too!

THE CON IS GETTING CLOSER!!!! So excited!!! Once schools out its gonna be 100% focus on the con! Oh no!! *gets cosplay makin jitters*

This sounds exciting.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 05:51:46 am »
heh heh heh.

What it means is the staff are back from Sakuracon and ready to work for Kumoricon full time again.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 04:08:47 pm »
Crap.. That means I'm running out of time to put everything together! I suppose I should get on figuring out where it's going to be held first. ^ ^;;

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 09:17:35 pm »
I have a question.

If it does get okay'd and we can do it, is it all right if I start a new thread so that the rules and stuff would be on the first page? And if I did, where would it go?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2007, 08:07:30 am »
Well first off you need to fill out the Panel/Event form and get it turned in to Programming. I have a PDF on my site here.

http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/temp.html

Be sure to specify that you'd need the chairs cleared out of the room for your event.

Second, there are only two rooms I can see this even being held in. Main Events and Live Events. You can see both rooms on the map.

http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/maps.html

Main Events is busy but if they can schedule this even in before the dance then the chairs can just be taken out of the way even sooner. You'd also have a big stage to move up to so you could see the board (having th board itself on stage doesn't seem practical).

Live events is big enough itself but we'd have to specifically take all the chairs out just for htis event. Then the chairs would all come back in.

Finally, one of you guys has to step up as the Panelist/Coordinator of this event. Your name will be down on the form and yo'll be the one in charge of talking to programming and gettingthe people together.

Just so you know, the term Panelist refers to any non-staff member who is organizing a scheduled event at the convention. The people organizing this, the Ouran Host Club Event, and the Lolita Tea Party are all considerred Panelists in the paperwork.

As far as where to start a thread once that's done, I'd suggest the Panel forum below or the General Discussion forum. The Panel section is obvious because its where people talk about events, but General Discussion gets more attention and would be good for sign ups.

Finally, come to the Sakurafest if you can because that's the next location where staff will be gathered. I can't guarantee that Prog will have people there but I can collect forms if nobody else will. I have some faxing capability at work and don't feel too bad taking advantage of it.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2007, 04:54:49 pm »
Just one more question for now. (Sorry!) If I can't make it to that gathering, should I email the form or mail it?

And I shall get it filled out and taken care of this weekend when we gather to discuss the situation.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2007, 07:33:09 pm »
Quote from: "babysugarbear28"
ideas for teams

Shojo vs shonen
ninjas vs soul reapers o.O
anime vs video games (this includes ff7 characters sorry advent children)
good vs evil

if you have other ideas let us know ^_^

How about male characters vs. female characters?  Of course, we'd have to have the right type of character for the king of females & queen of males, but this could be amusing, I think.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2007, 08:52:41 pm »
Those are good ideas.

As soon as the paperwork is filled out, if it gets cleared, we'll probably have a vote for which theme people want to use. I think that's the easiest way.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 04:14:21 pm »
I am totally willing to help run this event as a volunteer, to play as a character or to be a chess player. I am not the best at chess but I play a fair game :P So yeah.. I am totally in on this.. TOM you can help me present this idea to meg :P ^_^ anyway count me in

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2007, 07:10:21 pm »
@ twtmc
Were you the guy who I asked for some advice after the game?  I was Tom Riddle (Voldemort) and mentioned Kumoricon was interested in doing this.

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36:28 pm »
Oh man, I NEED to be a part of this event somehow >_< I'm a decent chess player, and I would love to lead a charge of cosplayers X3 I would totally be willing to volunteer and help too. Who would I talk to about doing that then? if this is really going to happen.

I just don't wanna miss out because I'm uninformed >_<
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline twtmc

• Oni
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2007, 07:28:16 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
@ twtmc
Were you the guy who I asked for some advice after the game?  I was Tom Riddle (Voldemort) and mentioned Kumoricon was interested in doing this.

yup, that would be me!

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2007, 10:39:19 am »
So what exactly is Cosplay chess? I'm on a school computer and the Geocities link is blocked...
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:19 pm »
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"
So what exactly is Cosplay chess? I'm on a school computer and the Geocities link is blocked...

Exactly what it sounds like.

Cosplayers are given positions and act out a chess game on stage.

Its also the most fun Iv had at a convention..ever.

Theres a clip of the end battle on Youtube. Search for uh..Sakura con 07 I guess.

Soo just whats the situation with this anyway?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2007, 08:00:11 am »
The event has a time slot and a Programming person is "on it", however we don't know who exactily will be running the event at the convention.

Again, if you're a volunteer or staff memer that is available during the convention and you are interested in this event (even if you don't want to run it) let the Programming staff know.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 10:13:15 am »
Quote from: "ThiefKingsHier"
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"

Exactly what it sounds like.

Cosplayers are given positions and act out a chess game on stage.

Its also the most fun Iv had at a convention..ever.

Theres a clip of the end battle on Youtube. Search for uh..Sakura con 07 I guess.

Soo just whats the situation with this anyway?

That sounds awesome! I'll definately take part in that if I can.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:34 pm »
this was fun, I liked how Jesus would take away the killed peices,

well at least most of them.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 04:05:08 pm »
Quote from: "melchizedek"
this was fun, I liked how Jesus would take away the killed peices,

well at least most of them.

He took 'ur jobs!!

Ichigo and did get to drag off Shiek.
Even tho Taicho was the one who killed him, and was actually on the correct side. Lazy ass.
I guess poor Renji STILL has to do everything after hes dead.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2007, 01:14:02 pm »
If you are interesed in participating in Cosplay Chess this year, please see this thread.  If you have any questions, please post there.

;D
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline chibiroth

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 02:21:38 am »
this sounds amusing to join lol maybe i should join as sephiroth?
Kumoricon 2008 cosplay:

Princess Tutu
Riku- KH
Hunny-Ouran Host Club
Cooking Mama
Alita- Apollo Justice

And a Secret Cosplay hehe :D

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2007, 02:20:20 pm »
Misa Misa will totally be a pawn! XD

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 12:00:19 pm »
I could be a knight as Alphonse Elric Armor :)
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
Please divert all your discussion on cosplay chess to this topic: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4862.0

Thanks.
2008 Facilities Liaison