Author Topic: my first con  (Read 8463 times)

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
my first con
« on: August 13, 2004, 10:49:21 am »
this will be the first con i've ever been to, so i'm still kind of confused about whats going on. i already preregistered, and i want to go on all 3 days. do you have to pay to get in each time you go if you've preregistered? also, i wont be getting a hotel room, but i want to stay there as long as i can if it works out with my parents, and my aunt, because i'm going with my cousin. is there anything speacial that goes on at night? i need to know so i can work out a schedule.

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
Re: my first con
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 01:09:28 pm »
Quote from: "DaniChan"
this will be the first con i've ever been to, so i'm still kind of confused about whats going on. i already preregistered, and i want to go on all 3 days. do you have to pay to get in each time you go if you've preregistered? also, i wont be getting a hotel room, but i want to stay there as long as i can if it works out with my parents, and my aunt, because i'm going with my cousin. is there anything speacial that goes on at night? i need to know so i can work out a schedule.

DaniChan,

If you have preregistered, then your already paid for and just have to check in each day. And as far as I know the open Karaoke mic starts at ten pm-ish and goes till everyone is tired Saturday night. Also I have heard rumors that there is a dance one of the nights, Saturday or Sunday, that doesnt start till ten-ish or later. Other than that I havent heard much about night stuff. The actually Karaoke contest is at eight to ten Saturday night, but that isnt too late. I hope that helped.
Bunny_Mae
~I'm Addicted to Chocolate, I used to Snort Cocoa~

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
my first con
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 01:55:43 pm »
Welcome to the convention, Dani-chan! :) If you aren't getting a room, that means I can skip the general "don't starve yourself of sleep or food" advice.

Regarding what's going on at night, well, Bunny_Mae pretty much accurately covered information about karaoke, which I'm running. As for the other stuff...  *looks at sheet*

It seems that Saturday night has:
- the dating game from 8pm to midnight (some of that may be setup and breakdown; not sure),
- karaoke at 8pm and Open Mic at around 10pm like Bunny_Mae said,
- video rooms and tabletop RPGs will be going on all day and all evening, and
- the Sailor Moon Pajama Party which goes from 8pm until late.
(the schedule caps off at midnight; I'm not sure whether anything will officially continue past that time)

On Sunday we have:
- The cosplay contest from 6-8pm (come early to wait in line for a better seat),
- the Dance goes from 9pm to midnight, and
- the karaoke room will be open most of the evening. More hours may be schedulled depending on our volunteer pool and the demand.
- video rooms and RPGs also run all Sunday.

There is nothing going on after 3pm on Monday. I'm guessing the only thing that will be truly 24-hour are the video rooms, but even that may close down after a certain point. Also, since you asked about night events, I didn't mention anything before 6pm, so check up occasionally and we'll get the full schedule posted in time for everybody to have a look at it.

Have fun!

P.S. - It seems you are getting my 42nd post. This means good fortune for the rest of the day. 8)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Magnus777

• Sailor Scout
Ha!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 07:01:00 pm »
Good fortune huh?.........
We shall see.
Zombie bunnys are edible play toys

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
my first con
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 09:03:33 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"

It seems that Saturday night has:
- the dating game from 8pm to midnight (some of that may be setup and breakdown; not sure),

*blink blink* Dating game? That's a new one. I wouldn't be playing since I'm quite happily taken already :D, but how's it go? I have some single friends that would probably be interested.
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
my first con
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 03:17:06 am »
Quote from: "Luana-neko"
*blink blink* Dating game? That's a new one. I wouldn't be playing since I'm quite happily taken already :D, but how's it go? I have some single friends that would probably be interested.

Everyone plays! ;)

It's a pretty awesome idea. First, they have an unseen bachelor/bachelorette in back. The hosts read off a series of "either/or" questions to the audience. Everyone starts standing (well, everyone of the appropriate gender, anyway), and for each question you either raise your hand or you don't. If you choose the answer that the unseen person prefers, then you stay standing. Everyone who picked the wrong answer sits down.

When there are only 3 or 4 people left, they go up front as contestants. The hidden bachelor(/ette) comes out... the audience can see him/her, but a divider keeps him/her separated from the contestants. Then s/he asks a series of interview-style questions. Each contestant gives their own answer for each one.

At the end, the bachelor(/ette) chooses a contestant. They step around the divider, and see eachother for the first time.

It's basically the same rules as the old game show, The Dating Game, but as you might guess, most of the questions are anime-themed. :) Oh, also, it's generally really dang funny. Just remember, though, it's usually rated PG-13. There's nothing obscene, but it's not intended for young'uns.

Apollo Justice

Offline Magnus777

• Sailor Scout
interesting
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 10:06:17 am »
That sounds like it might be hillarious!
On the other hand some people might get hurt  :cry:  :D
but thats ok
Zombie bunnys are edible play toys

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
my first con
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 10:21:32 am »
Radien,

since you seem to know everything ( :wink: ) can you post the schedule for all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday? That would be really nice and I could start planning what to see and do and what to miss and then I can also inform my guardian so he knows when to meet us to leave ect. Thanks!
Bunny_Mae

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
my first con
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 10:29:33 am »
P.S. What is the Sailor Moon PJ Party? Do you have to dressup like Sailor Moon charactors?
Bunny_Mae

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
my first con
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 02:45:16 pm »
Cool! I remember that Dating Game thingy, it was pretty funny hearing the sorts of answers people came up with. I'm going to have to go watch at least!
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
my first con
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 05:57:51 pm »
The schedule would be nice, since I got to work (even though I preregistered for all three days :cry: ) and I want to know which date to go to, and around what time. It seems all the interesting stuff is happening past 6PM to midnight....
-A.I-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: interesting
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 07:32:14 pm »
Quote from: "Magnus777"
That sounds like it might be hillarious!
On the other hand some people might get hurt  :cry:  :D
but thats ok

It's usually all in good fun. ;) No one expects a serious matchup going into it, BUT at last year's Sakura Con the dating game had one returning couple! Their first successful pairing!

By the way, if you went to Sakura Con, I should mention that somebody different is running the dating game at this year's Kumori Con. The club that originated the anime dating game isn't coming down this time. However, a little birdy told me that Bakazoku will be hosting the dating game, so it will undoubtedly be a crazy-fun show.

Bunny_Mae:

I know no more than most other staff members... I just happen to be a forum addict, so I feel the need to answer questions if no one else does. ;) I did the same thing at last year's con, but I've been busy up until recently this time.

As for the schedule, I just have a xeroxed copy... Staze said he'll put the new schedule up on the site as soon as he can, and if he hasn't yet, there should be an older schedule in the news archives.

Believe me, everybody wants to know the schedule ASAP, but remember that there are always last-minute changes. That means the later you view the schedule, the more accurate it will be. The current one should be fairly accurate for most of the major events, though (and that doesn't include viewing rooms; those always undergo sudden changes).

The Sailor Moon Pajama Party is where everyone comes in their pajamas (if they prefer), and watches a whole lot of episodes of the live action Sailor Moon TV show. Sailor Moon fans and haters alike will join in laughing at the goofy melodramatic girls' show. :) It's all in good fun. Sailor Naboo on the forums is the "mastermind" behind this scheme; she did it last year as well.

Oubeji:

Yeah, it's true that cosplay, karaoke, and of course the dance are major events that usually occur in the evening... Try to stick around until at least 10pm if you can manage it. If you can't, though, there's still fun stuff to do during the day, and the upside to those events is that you can usually come and go as you please.

Apollo Justice

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
my first con
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 10:08:11 pm »
Knowing myself, I'm pretty sure I'll spend every minute possible staying at the convention(lol) XD
-A.I-

Offline marmaladeboy

• Oni
my first con
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 11:57:59 pm »
Any chance someone would know when the MV (music video) contest is?  I usually consider it a night event (like it is at AX) but there seems to be no nights left *_*  It's the only big even (at least I consider it such  :wink:) left out of the small schedule in this topic ^_^

^currently information gathering ^_^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
my first con
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 09:07:47 am »
I just hope Brody and TS don't crash the Dating game like they did at the mall!

The PJ party is going to be awesome. We've got the episodes all planned out, but we'll have enough material to go pretty much all night if there's people willing to watch (and the tow of us can stay awake). My job is to watch the stuff while Sailor Naboo steps out to get stuff and help keep the shout outs to a happy and funny minimum. The show itself is great fun and over the top so it's natural to make jokes about it, but we just have to keep people from getting out of hand for the fans who actually like the show (like me). You don't actually have to come dressed in costume or pajamas but it's part of the fun. Just grab some sweatpants and a T-shirt. We all sat on the floor last year so maybe a pillow would be good too.
Also, practice saying Sailor SENSHI or soldiers; not "scouts". I nearly got my head removed last year.

I know I'm going to miss out on a few cool events but I think that the Party is worth it.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
my first con
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 12:04:10 pm »
Oubeji:
I'm sure most of us would echo that. Just try not to piss off your parents. You want them to bring you next year, after all, don't you? ;)

marmaladeboy:
I'd recommend taking that question to the appropriate forum. Many staff members are not like me, and don't browse topics outside of their assigned area. I could check the schedule, but it's not official or finalized, so I'd rather we not rely on my copy.

But yeah, AMV is definitely a major event. 8) It's among the top five con events. Even Gotaku Ranger said so, right Tomthefanboy? ;)

(it's a Conscrew joke. Check his sig link)

also, Tom: Is Naboo going to use a bedroom this time? Or will it be another viewing room-type huddle? I know it'll be fun for you guys, but it'd be cool if you could do it somewhere with a bed.

Man... you could have fit everybody from the slumber party into Naboo's hotel room at Sakura Con... She had the disability suite. It was huge.

Apollo Justice

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
my first con
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 07:35:30 am »
I don't have to worry about my parent because I'm going by myself, and I'm 18 by the way... Hope that clalify things a bit. :)
But I know, I act like a 12 year old.
-A.I-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
my first con
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 06:05:07 pm »
Whoops! :( Actually, it's not because you act young; I just mixed you up with another of the many people here who are minors... They are quite often the ones needing extra info because they have more rules to follow.

Apollo Justice

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
my first con
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 08:21:09 pm »
Haha, yeah. No problem, it's not easy remembering people's age on-line. I only asked for the schedule on events taking place to decide on which date to take time off of work. Because I need to let my employer know one week in advance, so I am runnning short on time here.
-A.I-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
my first con
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 11:42:38 am »
Understood. A lot of people have to deal with that. Personally, I had to wait until I got my school schedule before even knowing if I could go for all three days. In a grad school program that meets only a few times a week, missing a class is usually not an option. Fortunately, there were no conflicts this time around. :)

Apollo Justice