Author Topic: AMV Contest  (Read 30967 times)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV Contest
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:52:51 pm »
So AMV creators can get a head start on things, what are the limitations, format and things needed for each entry?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
AMV Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 07:13:55 pm »
We just recruited our AMV coordinator at SakuraCon, we'll be getting in touch with him to start writing out rules and such for the convention, and we'll get them posted as soon as possible.
~Sean Larson~

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
AMV Contest
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 12:40:56 pm »
Yeay.  That gives me time to figure out my new program.   :?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 12:30:11 pm »
Quote from: "QEvil"
We just recruited our AMV coordinator at SakuraCon, we'll be getting in touch with him to start writing out rules and such for the convention, and we'll get them posted as soon as possible.

You didn't get Chris Arnesen, did you? o_O

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 03:07:20 pm »
Nope, but this guy is just as cool, or cooler ^_^
~Sean Larson~

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
AMV Contest
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 08:19:14 pm »
OK... I'm serious this time. I'm actually going to finish this AMV... Honest... umm... maybe I can enter my Scum of the Earth video...?
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 10:47:21 pm »
That depends on if they meet the con's standards

Which hopefully will be out soon? ;)

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
AMV Contest
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 11:24:29 pm »
Yes, they should be out soon.  The guy running our AMV contest will be up and running soon.  We met him at SakuraCon, and he seemed wholey interested in running the AMV contest, so hopefully we can get him up to speed and on the forums asap.

Sorry for the time delay, again, we're moving as fast as our chibi legs can carry us.  ;-P
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline Kinrei

• Oni
    • http://
AMV Contest
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 12:29:45 am »
Time for Grupo Hanamaru to get cooking.  8)
Grupo Hanamaru Navigation & Anime
Tacoma, WA, USA
"Travel Service To All Worlds"

Offline Sheltie

• Cabbit
AMV Contest
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 07:32:31 am »
I can't wait untill the amv contest at Kumori con!  More Comedy amv goodness!  Sakura cons comedy catogory was really good, I like all of them, but ended up voting for the Lion King.   :D   This is gonna be fun to watch!  (the action/other catogories are my other favs!)

Sheltie
[The Secret Place
His voice... It's left me...
This time... I'll fight...]

[We'll go together.]

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 12:25:04 pm »
Hopefully the techs at Kumoricon will have a better setup than the one at SakuraCon :|

Sync errors, skipping audio. Bah, I say! Bah!

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 01:36:26 pm »
we shall have the best audio in all of con-dom... er... you know what I mean.  ;-)
-Staze
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
AMV Contest
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 03:26:21 pm »
The funny thing about the audio skipping at the Sakuracon amv show was that it only skipped when the vid had like 5 seconds left. And it did it on all of the vids.
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
AMV Contest
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 11:35:13 am »
Quote from: "PIE"
Hopefully the techs at Kumoricon will have a better setup than the one at SakuraCon :|

Sync errors, skipping audio. Bah, I say! Bah!
Quote from: "DreamcastSi"
The funny thing about the audio skipping at the Sakuracon amv show was that it only skipped when the vid had like 5 seconds left. And it did it on all of the vids.

PNTA did a great job overall with the AMV contest and the rest of the events in the Emerald Ballroom. We were really lucky that their DVD player would play our DVD-R videos, it was one of two at the convention that would play DVD-R and the only that had Component Out for their equipment.

The audio sync was caused because of the length of the cables and the various hardware that they run their video and audio through. I asked if they had a way to delay the audio to correct it but they don't have that type of equipment.

--Chris Arnesen
--Chris ^_^

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 12:40:20 pm »
How does the length of the cables affect the audio?

Offline Sheltie

• Cabbit
AMV Contest
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 02:08:17 pm »
Well, to put it simply, the long the cord (for anything) the bigger the chance for degredation in the information being sent though.  Say, if you had a 40 foot cable, the sound going though won't be as good as sound/information going though a 20 foot cable.  hmm... that's the jist of it, anyways!

Sheltie
[The Secret Place
His voice... It's left me...
This time... I'll fight...]

[We'll go together.]

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 03:16:20 pm »
not to mention the increased chance of people walking on the cable, the greater risk of interference from other RF signals, and the--while minute--delay created from long cables.  that's why, if you have a home stereo, even if one speaker is closer than another, you should have the cables be the same length so the signal gets to the speaker at the same time.  while the phasing created by having a 10 foot wire and a 15 foot wire is neglegable... the difference between 80 feet and 120 feet can be noticeable.  

I don't envy the sound people for sakuracon... but the issues that did exist probably shouldn't have had they been adiquately prepared.  But, the reality of AV work is... if it can go wrong, then it probably will.  Ah the wonder about being a smaller con...
-Staze

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
AMV Contest
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 08:54:14 am »
How does the length of the cables affect the audio?

The big problem was the video processing hardware and video switchers PNTA uses. They caused about a quarter to half-second delay between the video and audio. Most large television productions use an audio delay out from the sound mixer to adjust for that. PNTA didn't have that capability.

--Chris
--Chris ^_^

Offline Rose

• Oni
AMV Contest
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2004, 09:36:11 am »

I would very much like to know just exactly your what beef with Chris is?

He has worked VERY hard to put together an incredible contest. If you're mad because your AMV wasn't shown, it's a contest and no amv contest that I know of shows all of the entry's they recieve. (not Expo, or AWA even) There are just too many entry's to conceiveably show every single one. The job of a coordinator is to determine which ones are the most entertaining and well done. (by appointing judges of some sort)

Now if you're upset because of video quality, you have no one to blame but yourself. When a person receives even 10 videos and each one is in a different codec, its really hard to just show them as is. You have to choose a format to work with and then convert each one to that format, in order to be able to edit them together into one long presentation. Maybe next year you should ask the coordinator which format would be easiest to work with. Basically, if the coordinator doesn't have to process your vid, it won't potentially loose quality.

And lastly, no contest goes off without a hitch. (need I mention AX 2002?) I think that Chris's contests go better than most. HECK they even start on time-ish, give or take ten minutes. (not an hour and a half-late)

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2004, 10:30:35 am »
now now.... don't make me lock the thread.  while that isn't what I would consider flaming, this isn't the place for arguing about what the problem was.  My comment and the comments Sheltie and Darkstar seem plenty innocent... and yours for the most part...

we're going to do our best at Kumoricon to make this all work and have people come away like they did last year with a "wow, that was a really great con".  

Yes, hitches happen... that's why I'm here, and my fellow jack of all trades Procyon.
-Staze

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
AMV Contest
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 10:35:42 am »
AMV's... ooo... I've been making them like crazy since Sakura Con xD  I finish them in a day or so... -.-; don't know why everyone thinks their very difficult to make... maybe I just have a flare :P j/k, but I should enter one of my Moulin Rouge AMV's... or perhaps an Annie Get Your Gun one xD just for kicks... if you've ever seen Annie Get Your Gun you would love the AMV's I made with the songs...
Sweet Times

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2004, 10:54:45 pm »
Quote from: "Rose"

I would very much like to know just exactly your what beef with Chris is?

He has worked VERY hard to put together an incredible contest. If you're mad because your AMV wasn't shown, it's a contest and no amv contest that I know of shows all of the entry's they recieve. (not Expo, or AWA even) There are just too many entry's to conceiveably show every single one. The job of a coordinator is to determine which ones are the most entertaining and well done. (by appointing judges of some sort)

Now if you're upset because of video quality, you have no one to blame but yourself. When a person receives even 10 videos and each one is in a different codec, its really hard to just show them as is. You have to choose a format to work with and then convert each one to that format, in order to be able to edit them together into one long presentation. Maybe next year you should ask the coordinator which format would be easiest to work with. Basically, if the coordinator doesn't have to process your vid, it won't potentially loose quality.

And lastly, no contest goes off without a hitch. (need I mention AX 2002?) I think that Chris's contests go better than most. HECK they even start on time-ish, give or take ten minutes. (not an hour and a half-late)

Actually it has little to do with most of what you said. Try not to lecture when you don't know the full story, and I don't want to sound rude when I say that. I'm just saying is all.

I apologize for posting that thing with Chris actually. I was just irritated with some of the problems with the contest, namely how the video/audio was off. I shouldn't have made that comment, but it still irked me.

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
AMV Contest
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2004, 11:30:56 pm »
As a lurker to this thread, I just wanted to mention I'm impressed about your apology; it's good to see our forum with decent etiquette. :-)
It's hard to get AMV's done correctly for sure, and I don't envy the position of our AMV Director this year. We'll work hard to get things right, and the more things you guys list that can go wrong, the better we'll be!

I apologize for posting that thing with Chris actually. I was just irritated with some of the problems with the contest, namely how the video/audio was off. I shouldn't have made that comment, but it still irked me.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
The AMV Contest Cordinator!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 07:12:49 pm »
Yay! I got this working!

Hello: I'm Guy Letourneau, and I'll be coordinating
the AMV contest. I've volunteered in several capacities
at SF & anime cons, and I've also arranges AMV showings
at non-anima cons (It's really fun to see folks in fandom
zones 'next door' to anime, such as SF fans, discovering
AMV's for the first time!)

Consider the following to be 'floating a trial balloon,' rather than
being a hard-and-fast iron RULE of LAW. I am experimenting with
defining different kinds of categories than we've usually seen at
AMV contests. So let me know what you think:

TENTATIVE AMV Categories, and their
approximate show order:

1. Action & Adventure [6]
2. Romantic / Drama [4]
3. Period / Traditional Japanese Setting [6]
4. SF & Futuristic Setting [6]
5. Comedy [6]
6. Trailers [7] and Commercial Parodies [7]

The number in [brackets] is the number of entries I will
show during the contest. This may change depending on
the number of entries that come in.

TIME LIMITS:

The time limit is 4:50 seconds for all categories except
Trailers & Commercials. Trailer time limit is 2:45, and
commercials are limited to 30 sec. (Most commercials
nowadays are 15 sec, although in the '60s & 70's they
used to be up to 1 min long.)

SUBMITTING THINGS:

I'll be defining things more clearly as I explore a bit over the
next couple of weeks, but as a start, if it don't play on Zoom
Player, Media Player Classic, and XINE (Linux) then I may have
problems getting it to display & run properly. SO the only
CONSTRAINT I'm considering so far (and I hate constraints -
let's bee as free & creative as possible!) is NO WMV's, RA's
or MOV formats.

Mpg's, DivX up to 5.05, and Avi's are OK.

I'd like to ask that entries be burned to CD and MAILED to me,
and I'd set the deadline at IN MY Hands (or mailbox) by 28-Aug-04.
I'd like to use the organizational address of Kumoricon if the
folks in charge of that decision would consent. (Please?  ^.^; )

Your comments & suggestions are always welcome.
I look forward to presenting all of your works, and
rousing the audience wtih your talents, stories,
breathtaking effects, and comedy suprises!

- Guy Letourneau
guy1656@ados.com

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 07:18:29 pm »
Hello Guy... please email staff@kumoricon.org with your information and we'll get you set up so that you don't just look like some wacko in the forums.  ;-P
-Staze

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 03:37:48 pm »
Good to have you on board, Guy. Welcome. :)

I'm a little puzzled on the fourth entry genre.
Period/Traditional Japanese Setting?

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Contest
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2004, 05:35:22 pm »
I'm a little puzzled on the fourth entry genre.
Period/Traditional Japanese Setting?

Here's your chance to stand alongside the likes of Kurosawa Akira ... :-D You don't necessarily HAVE to tell us a story which takes place in the Heian or Tokugawa eras, but the challenge here is to bring out the JAPANESE-ness of anime with the sound and images you are presenting.

Source materials can be anything which showcases (or has as a backdrop) traditional Japanese craft, arts, activities, culture, mythology, religion and/or attitude. For video, this might mean (and PLEASE don't stop here - reach out for anything inspiring...)  but: Tsukikage Ran, Hakkenden, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Kai-doh-Maru, Milleneum Actress, Hikaru no Go, Ninja Scroll, Kenshin, some bits of Gasaraki, or that one ep of 'Animatrix...'

Also, sometimes a series in a modern or futuristic setting has throwbacks to Traditional Japan: Shogi (the game) shows up in Evangelion and Bebop, and several series have one conspicuously 'traditional' character: Nami (Silent Mobius) Motoko (Love Hina,) Goemon (Lupin,)  and one of the Happy Lesson gals does iaido (I forgot their names, ) and Cap't Tylor's XO Yamamoto keeps up his kendo. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER the previous list to be 'closed.' Use any source material you can think of, as long as you can get that Edo-thing going.

Or you might rustle up some traditional Japanese music (enka, funa-uta, koto music?) and paint a story or a setting, perhaps tying in modern images in a way that ties into a special 'something' which hearkens back over the centuries ...

BUT: Note that the landscapes and costume designs of '12 Kingdoms' and 'Fushigi Yuugi,' are primarily CHINESE; and Gensoumaden Saiyuki ("Journey to the West") is also a Chinese legend. Also watch out for 'Spirited Away,' in which Miyazaki masterfully blends traditional Japanese and Chinese influences, but there may be a story you can tell us... Same goes for Condor Hero: iffy, but possibly do-able. Although nothing is impossible for AMV makers, Lodoss, Slayers, Rayearth, Those Who Hunt Elves, and Scrapped Princess might be difficult to use, because they're either in some kind of 'generic FRPG' setting with more Western medieval trappings, while the alternate worlds of El Hazard have more of a Mediterranean/Arabic feel to them.

- GLL

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2004, 07:17:53 pm »
Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers come to mind.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004, 06:48:05 am »
i loved the AMV's at kumoricon is there going to be a chance to buy, like a DVD of what you going to show? i  would love to buy one to show my friends,  they were so good and funny and dramatic
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2004, 07:26:10 am »
We might make a CD of the winners.
~Sean Larson~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 12:50:59 am »
Quote from: "QEvil"
We might make a CD of the winners.

To sell to loyal fans, right?
RIGHT???

BTW, did anyone keep thinking about the AMV-disc-burning room?
The computers on a LAN with disc burners and tons of AMVs, you select a number of AMVs and burn them onto a disc for a nominal fee to pay for the blank disc.
Maybe we could donate the money to AMV.org or something! Anybody here got contacts with the people running that site?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 12:54:56 am »
well, we'll see what we can do.  Unfortunately, we're not too sure about what--if any--net access there will be provided by the con.  While we will work on having a station that someone can walk up to and watch provided media on, I'm not sure whether that will be something someone can burn from or not.  

But, I think we definately will have CDs that will be sold for a nominal fee of those winning amv's, etc.  That is up to the AMV coordinator.
-Staze

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 01:12:30 am »
Well, the thing I was suggesting wouldn't need the internet actuallly. I was thinking of a LAN or maybe just one computer where people could get discs of AMVs burnt. I know that I'm still looking for AMVs I saw at last year's con.

Heck, if somebody would monitor the thing (like at a manned booth) I could volunteer my computer.

Maybe the person has a list of their AMVs (with the creator, anime, song, and file size listed )and the customer signs up for a list of songs equaling the alotment for a CD (700 Megs or so?). The person at the computer burns the disc and then hold it for the person to pick up later. The money could be donated to AMV.org later and probably cover the cost of discs and jewel cases or slip covers.

Heck, this doesn't sound like a bad booth now that I think of it...... maybe I could borrow some other friends' computers.......... Maybe I should take it to another thread...
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline zenix

• Chibi
AMV Contest
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 02:27:44 am »
mplayer is supose to be able to play just about all formats if anyone wants it here a link
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/info.html

i think it is linux only

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 02:28:27 pm »
You would still need the right codecs (Xvid, Divx 5.xx, whatever)

Offline DannyCat

• Cabbit
    • http://
AMV Contest
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2004, 07:35:13 am »
Couple of questions:

1) We don't actually have to BE there to submit AMVs, right? I've lived in the Portland area for pretty much the past 24 years, but happen to be at graduate school in Korea and won't get back until after the convention, so would I be able to just mail my entries in and watch the results online?

2) Are we limited to one entry, one entry per category, no limits, or something else?

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
AMV Contest
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2004, 08:46:54 pm »
Just a curious question... why aren't WMV formats allowed to be entered?
Sweet Times

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 12:18:23 am »
I think all questions will be answered once we get the requirements and information sheet on the contest.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 10:55:50 pm »
Since any form of AMV distribution is out of the question as far as offical functions though, can I at least request that information is given out for the AMVs shown?

It'd make it a lot easier to go home and download them later if we had a list of names (creator/anime/song/studio).
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Some comments & Some Answers:
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2004, 07:56:20 pm »
1) About the contest entry CD. Neat idea. The problem comes in where money gets exchanged for AMVs which are made up various of bits of (usually) licensed materials for which most of us are too broke to go around and whistle up 'legitimate' distribution rights. I think it's a bit iffy for anyone associated with running the con to be touching money while distributing AMV's. Maybe I'm just paranoid about the legal environment nowadays. (checks out the back window for black helicopters... :-D)

2) I really like the idea of a LAN set-up where the winners (or heck, ALL the entries) can sit in a file that people can grab & burn on the sytems they bring & jack in. If some Cat-V saintly person decides to PRIVATELY burn & distribute, making his/her own arrangements for media cost - even BYOBD (Bring Your Own Blank Disk) then maybe THAT would work. I dunno, & will defer to con staff for their say & opinions.

3) Remote submissions:  Mail media to:

Kumoricon
ATTN: AMVs
P.O. Box 3213
Eugene, OR 97403

This could be a CD, DVD or a ZIP disk (100MB or 250MB.) I will TRY to remember to have the submitted media with me at the con, so if you REALLY need it back there's a good chance I can have your stuff for you to pick up.

Kumoricon Staff has set a mail-in deadline of 8-August-04.

4) How I plan to run the showing: I've run a couple of AMV showing at cons, which went off reasonably well, using the following set-up. However, I'm not a techno-uber-geek ("dammit, Jim, I'm a MECHANICAL engineer, not a computer expert!") Here goes:

I will bring a 'Shuttle' box, running Windows 2003 Server Professional on it. I will set up directories for each category, with 5-second 'dummy' files in between. The order of showing within each category will be determined randomly by physical dice rolls, shortly before the con. The file names will be renamed with prefixes "01-" "02-" etc. to keep them in order in each directory. Showing will consist of a brief verbal introduction to the categoy to be shown, then mouse-drag or grab all the files in the directory, and hit 'Play.'

I will then show snippets of the videos in quick succession during the voting phase. How about each entrant include a TEN SECOND, no-more-mo-less snippet? This way, instead AMV staff trying to figure out the most memorable section, or artificialy selecting the opening 10 sec, or some other uniform but arbitrary method, why no have the creator select the 10-second slice? They know their work the best - What do you guys think?

5) Why no WMVs? Because (a) the resolution isn't as clear as .avi and .mpg on the above system, and (b) you need Windows Media Player 9. The licensing agreement of WMV includes phrases about letting Microsoft check up on what you've been doing with the media player, install & change things automatically whenever you're connected to the internet, and you even allow them to access 'other areas of your computer' which they don't tell you WHAT. So, I hit "I do NOT agree" and will have nothing to do with Windows Media Player 9. So, contest entries need to be in more open-source formats like MPG or AVI. Ra's and mov's usually BITE for quality, so let's stick with the mainline: AVI and MPG. Sooner or later these works will al hit the 'net, and it's nice to go in knowing that your works will be as widely accessible as possible.

I would like to run the show in Winamp 5, but I can switch to an earlier version of Windows Media Player if it BOMBS. Note: as I said, I'm not a computer geek. I'm what marketers call a 'late adopter.' I stick with something that works for as long as possible, change ONCE, then hang on as long as possible again before changing. The system I will use currently plays MPGs and AVIs well, and DivX up to 5.05. I'm not upgrading. If somebody releases a codec in mid August, and you encode with it, and your AMV doesn't play on 'Ol Sawbones' here, it won't show at the contest - because it doesn't play on the system.

6) Posting of Submission Guidelines: I'd like to put it all all into a printable TXT file and see if the Kumoricon web-master(s)  might pop it up on the con site. Can a good staff person e-mail me about that, pleez?

7) Limits: Up to TWO entries per creator, only ONE entry per catagory. Each work must be submitted for ONE category. You must tell me WHAT category you want each work to compete in.

Eight) ADDITIONAL RULE I AM "CONSIDERING:"  What do you guyt think of this: Any music style is fine, but lyrics must be 'radio quality,' which means no execrable expletives. I AM -NOT- 'enforcing' this, just bringing it up for discussion.

- Guy Letourneau

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2004, 08:29:00 pm »
Oh! why didn't I think of it sooner!

If the entrants in the contest do not already have accounts on animemusicvideos.org then perhaps you could start a Kumoricon profile.

Then after the convention you could just upload them to your account there and when the fans get home they can all upload them!

As for the BYOCDR I'd be willing to burn some CDs for people like that.
I got an idea, how about you burn discs for the participants? Or make a disc of the winning AMVs to give as prizes to winners of other contest, or in the volunteer grab bag! There's plenty of uses for them that wouldn't involve money but would still be cool, heck some would save money!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 05:35:18 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
If the entrants in the contest do not already have accounts on animemusicvideos.org then perhaps you could start a Kumoricon profile.

Then after the convention you could just upload them to your account there and when the fans get home they can all upload them!

Do you mean download?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2004, 02:15:53 am »
Ah........ Er. Yes.
*blushes profusely*

The AMV contest runner would of course upload them.
*bows in apology and wishes desperately he knew what Japanes to say*
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

AMV Contest Submission Form
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2004, 06:32:27 am »
OK - I sent in a TXT file submission form.
They should pop it up on the AMV contest
page anytime now.

It's 80 columns wide by 57 lines long, so it should print-out
just fine as is onto one sheet of paper.

You can also grab the text, drop it into a word processing
program of your choice, and go from there.

Remember, you will need to submit TWO files:
1. The AMV, in .avi or .mpg
2. A 10-second excerpt from the AMV as it is seen*

* You choose which 10-second slice you think would  best refresh the
memory of the audence - the most dramatic scene, the 'punch line' to a visual
gag, etc. It is preferred that you just take 'the best 10 seconds.' If you want
play more editing games, such as compressing 20 seconds into the 10-sec
slice (at double-speed) or make a composite of several scenes overlain onto
a 10-second work (kinda like making an AMV of an AMV,) that may be risky
because if the audience sees something MUCH different from what was
shown, they might not connect the excerpt with the correct AMV.

However,  if you -DO- make a composited excerpt, then ALL of the material
in the excerpt must be present in the actual AMV. The excerpt is -NOT- the
place to introduce new material. (Don't you HATE movie trailers which have
scenes/dialogue/music which ISN'T in the movie!?!)

- Guy L.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 07:16:21 am »
as far as paying money for the disks, (legal issus and such) you could say tecknicly we're not paying for the matrial, thats a free gift, we're paying for the labor and time spent geting the disks ready and for the disk itself or somthing,
i'm all for bring your own disk but i'll need to be told, in terms a held back second grader would understand, what disks ezactly to buy, other wise i'd probly end up bring those Candy CD that contain gum
yay AMV's please (you can't see the happy dance i doing)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2004, 02:48:44 am »
My AMV collection is making the rounds of my friends now but soon I'm going to make a file list for online friends so I can figure out what files to burn onto discs for them.

the discs you'd want to buy superjaz would be called "CD-R" or CD-RW". They will be in the computer product section of most Fred Meyer stores or at actual computer stores.

8O
Oh yeah! I need to ask about FFVII Advent Children buzz! Off to the other board!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2004, 08:54:47 am »
if you have bittorrent(and you should :D ) you can get the trailer for advent children from animesuki.com
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
AMV Contest
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2004, 12:37:23 pm »
Actualy, I've found that this is the best place to gets Advent children stuff.

http://www.adventchildren.net/ff7ac/media/movies.htm

It's almost official.... or something.
Anyway, they have the subbed trailer, which is good.
I'm sure that in a month they'll have more commercials with different footage since the movie will actually be OUT.

Man a fansub of that would be awesome...
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Contest
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2004, 02:18:58 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Man a fansub of that would be awesome...

Ohhhh you know people will make those once it's in theaters in Japan.

Offline Hyuuga_Neji

• Oni
AMV Contest
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2004, 12:53:05 pm »
Stuff like that is usually available for download a day or two after it airs in Japan.