Author Topic: 2007 venue parking questions  (Read 6970 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
2007 venue parking questions
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:04:11 am »
Hello! I read the info on the Hotel Information page for the 2007 venue, and it mentions parking fees and "reasonable."

I hope it isn't too much of a bother, but I'm planning on driving, and if it is possible I'd like to know the fees before hand.  Thanks!
~I've got another confession to make, I'm your fool~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:08 am »
I will write this down as something to investigate when I visit the hotel next. I was planning on taking some measurements of the entrances and exits so I'll be sure to ask the hotel about parking as well.

I've been wondering about the parking since I found out we'll be using the hotel's underground lot for our dealer's area and this will be a good chance to  answer those questions as well.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:51 am »
Parking:
Self Parking:USD 8.00 (Parking key required)
Valet Parking:USD 11.00 (Upon Request)

Or atleast thats what the hotel website says!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Re: 2007 venue parking questions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:16:50 pm »
Quote from: "Halcyon"
Hello! I read the info on the Hotel Information page for the 2007 venue, and it mentions parking fees and "reasonable."

I hope it isn't too much of a bother, but I'm planning on driving, and if it is possible I'd like to know the fees before hand.  Thanks!

as your driving down in your Panzer from Germania

you can just crush the other cars
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 02:26:34 pm »
I wish I had a Panzer to drive down there.  :lol:

Luckily modern bridges could support such weight, eh?

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys.  Definately is reasonable pricing, so I won't have to worry about a thing!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
I wish I had a Panzer to drive down there.  :lol:

Luckily modern bridges could support such weight, eh?

Ohhh you just gave me a great idea.  Lets do a none cute and fuzzy Jin Ro cosplay skit.  A friend's friend has a British armord car, and we have some German M37 and M43 Helmets and he has some russian PPH SMG.  I have some red velvet cutrains I can make into a little red ridding hood cloak and she can carry the Kar16 with a M203 grenade launcher.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:28:57 pm »
LOL!  That'd be fun to see.

My friend and joke that if we won the lottery, we'd blow it on a PzKpfw IV Medium tank.  It would be our life time project to make it road-worthy and keep it that way.  :shock:

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:44:21 am »
Actually, there is a nearby parking garage that is $6.00 as we will be converting the hotel's parking garage into the exhibitor's area.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:05:50 pm »
how much would they charge to park a Tank, Armourd Car or a MoterHome with Warp nacells.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 01:38:51 pm »
Quote from: "EvilMonkey"
Actually, there is a nearby parking garage that is $6.00 as we will be converting the hotel's parking garage into the exhibitor's area.

This is good information, he's in charge of talking to the hotel. Here's something else that's good;

Quote from: "guspasho"
Also, there is a lot of free parking within a few blocks of the Vancouver Convention Center.

This was from a different thread where we discussed the hotel in general.

I'll be getting some more information on this soon to present everyone with evidence. That way you don't have to take Levar Burton's word for it.  8)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 02:06:01 pm »
Definately is reasonable pricing, so I won't have to worry about a thing!

I define "Reasonable" parking prices as FREE...Anything beyond that and it's money wasted, because we could be spending it at the Dealer's room or on food or other such fun stuff. Thankfully it's not as much as an incredible ripoff as the Seattle Convention center or the Marriott downtown Portland...but I really miss the DoubleTree's free parking.

So how early do we have to show up for the convention to snag the free parking spaces?  And is there a way we can make a deal w/ the hotel related to if you're staying in the hotel you get free or at least cheaper parking?

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 12:23:33 am »
Parking with a tank I see as "free" as I think a 75mm KwK42 L/70 gun or a 88mm KwK36 L/56 gun as a pretty damn good bargaining point.  :lol:

With an armored car, I guess it would depend on it's bargaining point as well.  You could opt for a German "Puma" armored car with a 50mm gun.  :lol:

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 08:15:33 am »
LOL, guns; the new penis pills!

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 09:58:18 am »
I personally saw lots of free parking. Depends on how far you care to walk and how "save" you want your tank to be

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 03:53:07 pm »
OK, I went up to Vancouver awhile ago and now I'm posting my findings.

The hotel's usual Guest fee for parking is $8.00 per night. There is also Valet parking for more money. Since we're using their parking structure for the exhibitor's hall they will have all hotel parking utilize the underground parking structure across the street (across the intersection, NE of the hotel) and the prices will be the same for hotel guests.

Other attendees will get no discounted pricing.

The parking meters in the area are free on weekends so that is beneficial, however Labor Day will not be free.

The best parking nearby is at the same garage the hotel will be using. The prices seem fine but the hours may prove inconvenient.

M-F $5.50 max, Weekends $1.50 Max
Mon-Thur 6am-10pm
Fri-Sat  6am-Midnight
Sunday   8am-10pm
Nothing specific listed for holidays

Hopefully our hotel liason and relations staff will be able to negotiate slightly expanded hours for our attendees wishing to stay later and still drive home (at least on Sunday). Presumably hotel guests will be able to access their cars at any time.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 04:10:51 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

M-F $5.50 max, Weekends $1.50 Max
Mon-Thur 6am-10pm
Fri-Sat  6am-Midnight
Sunday   8am-10pm
Nothing specific listed for holidays

Er, usually these hours imply that everyone has to remove their vehicles by closing time. That would be rather inconvenient for people staying at the hotel. I hope that the hotel, besides arranging a convenient discount for using that parking structure, also arranges the assurance that hotel users will NOT have to move their cars at 10PM....

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 05:07:39 pm »
in areas in down town portland, its that you have to pay till that time then its free
hopefully its like that
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 03:07:18 am »
Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun.  I'm now contemplating taking the bus up or outright getting a room with some buds.   :?

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 12:04:40 pm »
Got an addition questions, so the charge goes for everyone? What about those who are there as vendors or artists?

Personally, I think it's pretty bogus to have to pay for parking, considering last year, no problem. I have to drive in from where I live and even if I could take a max...hauling supplies would be a tad awkward. ><

Good to know I am going to have to budget for parking a head of time.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 04:53:03 pm »
Quote from: "Evaldas"
Got an addition questions, so the charge goes for everyone? What about those who are there as vendors or artists?

Good question. A lot of them will be staying at the hotel of course, so they're covered as guests. We had a pay-to-park situation when we were at the Marriott and it turned out OK. I don't know whether we'll be able to cover the parking costs of the "not quite guests". That is something to take up with Relations or more specifically, the Exhibitors Manager.

If I find out something official, I will, of course, let you all know.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 05:22:28 pm »
Now that the con is a coming in a week, any new information about the parking situation?  It seems I'll be driving up afterall, so...  :o

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:11 am »
Actually, there is some news!

The City of Vancouver paved a vacant lot a block behind the hotel and opened it for free parking!

Seriously, it's awesome to have such a big lot so close. It will be PACKED on Saturday because of the 150 year celebration in the park but if you get a spot on Friday yous should be safe.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:20 am »
is that event continuing sunday and monday, or would that lot be okay then?
any word on the labor day issue, you had said you thought parking meters and lots would still charge on labor day, that would surprise me as i would think folks who would enforce/collect such charges would have the day off?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 12:42:06 pm »
is that event continuing sunday and monday, or would that lot be okay then?
any word on the labor day issue, you had said you thought parking meters and lots would still charge on labor day, that would surprise me as i would think folks who would enforce/collect such charges would have the day off?

Meters and public lots DO NOT CHARGE on weekends, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. Who on earth suggested this?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 12:59:05 pm »
Do we know whether the free lot will allow overnight parking or not?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 12:59:49 pm »
Suprisingly, the policy on public parking is (gasp!) publicly available! Online, even!

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parking.asp?menuid=10465&submenuid=16890&itemID=27786

Parking in Vancouver
Parking at downtown meters, lots and garages

Parking Meters/Pay Stations

Short-Term (3 hours or less)

15-minute (yellow label), 30-minute (red label), 1-hour (green label), 90-minute (black label), 2-hour (blue label), and 3-hour (orange label) meters are available throughout downtown Vancouver. Maximum times are posted on each meter/pay station. Overtime parking is not allowed (please see panel on parking violations for more information).

Long-Term (up to 10 hours)

If you plan on staying longer, look for silver/white 5-hour and 10-hour meters. For long-term off-street options, please see the "Municipal Lots/Garages" panel.

Don't forget - Your first 20 minutes are FREE on some on-street 1-hour, 90-minute, and 2-hour meters in the downtown area. To get your free 20 minutes you must turn the handle one complete turn before you insert your coin.

All parking meters are enforced from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday except the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

ON-STREET AND PUBLIC LOT PARKING (IE WEST COAST BANK PARK AND GO GARAGE) IS FREE ON FRIDAY EVENING, AND ALL DAY SATURDAY, SUNDAY, AND MONDAY, LABOR DAY

If you plan to secure one of these public spaces, your best bet is to get there Friday afternoon when people are leaving work and before the downtown revelers and other attendees arrive, and park around 5:40 PM, the earliest you can grab a spot and not have to pay a penny. Or, grab a spot earlier, and pay for it for until 6 PM, when the spot becomes free for the entire weekend, INCLUDING LABOR DAY.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 01:03:02 pm »
Do we know whether the free lot will allow overnight parking or not?

Yes, overnight parking in public lots is generally allowed in Vancouver.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 01:18:56 pm »
i think i heard that tthe event going on in the park is saterday only yay!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »
That made my day! Unfortunately I am not staying night there, but I know that I can show up early enough it shouldn't be an issue. ^^ It wasn't an issue last year. Thank you for sharing that information. ;D

Offline loroo

• Oni
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 01:35:16 pm »
Suprisingly, the policy on public parking is (gasp!) publicly available! Online, even!

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parking.asp?menuid=10465&submenuid=16890&itemID=27786

Parking in Vancouver
Parking at downtown meters, lots and garages

Parking Meters/Pay Stations

Short-Term (3 hours or less)

15-minute (yellow label), 30-minute (red label), 1-hour (green label), 90-minute (black label), 2-hour (blue label), and 3-hour (orange label) meters are available throughout downtown Vancouver. Maximum times are posted on each meter/pay station. Overtime parking is not allowed (please see panel on parking violations for more information).

Long-Term (up to 10 hours)

If you plan on staying longer, look for silver/white 5-hour and 10-hour meters. For long-term off-street options, please see the "Municipal Lots/Garages" panel.

Don't forget - Your first 20 minutes are FREE on some on-street 1-hour, 90-minute, and 2-hour meters in the downtown area. To get your free 20 minutes you must turn the handle one complete turn before you insert your coin.

All parking meters are enforced from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday except the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

ON-STREET AND PUBLIC LOT PARKING (IE WEST COAST BANK PARK AND GO GARAGE) IS FREE ON FRIDAY EVENING, AND ALL DAY SATURDAY, SUNDAY, AND MONDAY, LABOR DAY

If you plan to secure one of these public spaces, your best bet is to get there Friday afternoon when people are leaving work and before the downtown revelers and other attendees arrive, and park around 5:40 PM, the earliest you can grab a spot and not have to pay a penny. Or, grab a spot earlier, and pay for it for until 6 PM, when the spot becomes free for the entire weekend, INCLUDING LABOR DAY.

I'm not challenging your information HOWEVER I just called the City of Vancouver and spoke directly with Heather.  She told me that the rules INSIDE A PARKING GARAGE are different than on-street metered parking.  She even verified this with her supervisor.

According to Heather (feel free to call the main customer service number -- you may even get a chance to speak to her directly -- at 360-619-1154), you MUST pay for parking INSIDE the parking garages (like the one diagonally across from the hotel) EVEN on the weekend.  She did say that Monday should be free, though.

She also said that, at the very least, police do enforce the area (I've seen them inside the garage myself before) and have the legal right to issue parking tickets.

At this point I would suggest that it is whatever you feel most comfortable doing.  She also said that failing to pay (if you're ticketed) would cost $20 per violation.  I don't know at what point they may elect to tow but I've seen cars with more than a week's worth of tickets on the street.

On-street parking, though, is free on the weekend and holiday.  Oh, and, apparently, the meters IN parking garages are also enforcible on the weekend UNLESS they say otherwise.

Me?  I plan on paying...  Can't afford to get the thing out of an impound lot...