Author Topic: cosplay tickets? bring a bear for fandom bears?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline sadaharu

• Cabbit
cosplay tickets? bring a bear for fandom bears?
« on: August 25, 2007, 07:15:08 pm »
So I was looking at the kumoricon 2007 schedule

It says that the cosplay event is a ticketed event, but the tickets are free. So I searched the board and there was a post asking about ticketed events, but it didn't really make things clear to me.

How do you get one of the free tickets for the cosplay event? Does it come when you check in, or do you have to wait in line somewhere else to get it the day of?

and a question about Fandom Bears  (two questions in one post, go me!)
do I need to bring a bear for this?

Sorry for all the questions, first time kumoricon go-er. Thanks for the help ^^

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
Re: cosplay tickets? bring a bear for fandom bears?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:15:19 pm »
for the cosplay competition last year, all you had to do was grab a free ticket from a desk in the lobby then go line up. Simple stuff
-Mikae

Offline sadaharu

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:28:04 pm »
Ah, thanks ^^

now i know what to look for  ;D

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:03:24 am »
Typically, for the ticketed events - cosplay & concerts - the tickets are available at the info booth on the day of the event for several hours prior to the event itself. There are two reasons for the tickets: first, it allows us to count how many people are attending the event and second, since these events tend to be extremely popluar, it ensures that we only let in the number of people that the local fire code permits in the room.

Locate the Info Booth as soon as you can and ask the person there. They should know when the Cosplay tickets will be available.

You'll also notice that the merchant's area will have yojimbo posted at the doors who will hold people back during extremely busy times to prevent that room from getting overloaded (makes it easier to shop and fire code requires that no more than a certain number of bodies are in a particular location at one time...) It may feel like a pain or that it's mean for them to do that, but the laws exist for a reason...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:23:30 pm »
So I was looking at the kumoricon 2007 schedule

you will probably enjoy the workshop more if you bring your own bear.

however, you would certainly be welcome if you don't have one, or choose not to bring him or her.

our wonderful panelist will be giving demonstrations on how to render teddy bears fit for their own cosplay (the plushie kerade). it's my belief she will also be able to tell people how to make bears from scratch, and it's my belief that she had been considering scrounching a few spares from thrift stores for her demo, but i don't know if that happened or not. this is the first time we're offering this panel, and i'm not the panelist; so i don't want to be wrong here!
i'll forward a link to this thread to the panelist and see if she can further clarify!

see you there; i'm really looking forward to it. :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:40:35 pm »
Here is the event description, this should help you:

Fandom Bears
This 2-hour workshop will show you the basics of “from scratch” teddy bear making, and then let you jump right in and customize a pre-made bear for your favorite fandom! Using a technique called “Needle Felting”, as well as soft doll making and coloring techniques we will re-imagine these second-hand stuffed toys into whatever we wish. Level of complexity is up to you; you can completely remake a bear, or just create your very own Fandom Bear, with a custom belly emblem! All ages workshop, though we will have pointy objects about.

You might also want to check out our fabulously talented seamstress who is also our con chair, who is running the following:

Rudimentary Cosplay Pattern Making
Learn to make your own cosplay patterns from scratch. This panel teaches the art of draping to ultra-beginners, through draping plain cloth into a top. The content is geared toward the novice, but seasoned sewers are encouraged to come and share their knowledge.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:38 am »
Main Events has a seating capacity of 800. There are already 1700 people coming to the convention.  :o

The Exhibitor's Hall will likely have an arbitrary max capacity decided upon by the Exhibitor Manager. I'm guessing that they might cut off entrance if more than 500 people are in there at one time. We're only using about 2/3 of the garage for booths after all
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:37:08 am »
If you are contestant you will have a seat. However, for the cosplay we might have to watch from backstage (for those of us "working" the event) or from the TV in the Green Room. Cosplay usually has about 50 people participating and since there will already be like, 50 seats reserved for VIPs, execs, cosplay judges, Guests, and Press.....

I have a feeling that cosplay contestants will have to fend for themselves. I will, of cousre, see what I can do about that. Maybe they can reserve us the section behind the sound booth.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline sadaharu

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
Hmm, alright, thanks for all the info ^^

I figured there would be a max capacity for the rooms, and that's why there are ticketed events, so now surprise there. I just want to make sure I get some of the tickets! ^^

Alright, I'll go buy a teddy bear from the thrift store before I head down to Vancouver :3

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:49 pm »
I thought cosplay contestants were going to watch from the cosplay green room
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Mouse

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:36:42 pm »
{snip}

{/snip}

Hi!

I'm running Fandom Bears. :)

Bringing your own bear would definitely help out, as you get to pick them out yourself. Me? I went for cheep, and, if you want your bear to have more starting character that 'it was in the 50 cents bin', bringing your own is best!

Only requirement is that it doesn't have mechanical 'guts'; the needles will snap if we try to punch into plastic or what have you.

Any other questions? I'll gladly answer them!

Mouse

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 11:06:59 am »
Don't grab a ticket Mustash, remember, were "working" this event. Not competing.

It's not my call to reserve seats for the contestants and I honestly think that they will have to go back to their seats in the green roomto watch the TV.

I would like to request that the Rounds Room be given one of the larger TVs for this since it has been a request since 2005. ;D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 02:43:16 pm »
The bear thing sounds neat!
I'll look forward to that. Maybe it will help me with my ****-tastic sewing skills.