Author Topic: Hall costume competition?  (Read 13681 times)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Hall costume competition?
« on: February 17, 2007, 12:19:43 pm »
Hall Costume Awards
Wear Costumes every day! You will be rewarded!

I don't know for sure who is going to be in charge of hall costumes... there ought to be a group that handles it (Pocky club? Or one of the Costuming Guilds?? )   I had some interesting inspirations, and I'd like to propose the following...

1. Traditional Hall Costume Awards
We believe excellence deserves recognition and we really want everyone to dress-up everyday.

2. Traditional Japanese
Sunday or Saturday (have not decided) - ALL DAY!!!
Why Traditional Japanese? 'Cause anime is from Japan, and it's fun to wear traditoinal clothing.
Dress as a samurai or ninja or geisha or wear a beautiful kimono.

3. Best Use of the Color Green (on a different day from the traditional Japanese).... Just because it's random and silly and Andie LIKES green :lol:

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:33:39 am »
do you get anything for hall cosplay.  cause i was told about a the winning costume last year, which was revealed a closing serimonies, by some friends that stayed behind.  and according to thems said winning cosutme was something i had made...so just kinda wondering about that.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:16:20 am »
I love green too! Yay!

Last year Pocky Club (me) had the Programming staff's digital camera to take pictures out in the convention for the Hall cosplay contest. However since I never got any instructions on HOW it was supposed to work and what I was supposed to ask people it didn't really happen.

However I still want to thank the Naruto and Sasuke and friend that came by the Programming suite last year to specifically have their pictures taken for the contest. You guys were great!

I think that they're going to have Pocky Club helping man the con-merch booth downstairs but if we can get another camera involved (shouldn't be hard) I think that the Hall cosplay contest would be a perfect way for us to contribute to the convention. I'm up for it, I just gotta ask the Club membership.

As far as things for each day, I think you have a good plan, especially since you can wear a Rock Lee costume for the whole convention and be a winner everyday. Then again, if you're in a Rock Lee costume you're ALWAYS a winner.  :D
.....OK that was cheesy.

I think that if this plan is put into action the Japanese day should be day one and the cosplay character day should be day two of the con. Sunday is usually the day of the cosplay contest itself and even if they're not entering their costumes; the skit people will be wearing their favorites.

Pink, I agree that the makers of the costume should get some credit as well but usually it's pretty hard to do. Most people that have their costumes specially made have it done by someone who's not at the con, like a relative or an internet seamstress. We should definitely have a way for people to get recognition, but I think that the person wearing the costume should be responsible for communicating it to us.

As far as prizes, people seemed happy enough just getting the rainbow ribbons back in 2003. A nice little participation prize would be great for everyone and the winner should get something about half as awesome as the winner of the Official cosplay costume contest. That way they'll know if they ENTER they have a shot at something better.

If you use the theme days then each day should have it's own theme prize. The last one should have a Green Day album in the prize pack.  :wink:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:40 am »
*gasps* i want a rainbow ribbon. ^___^

i'll work hard on my cosplays this year, hopefully i'll get a small ribbon at least. ^w^

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:53:16 am »
I think instead of having "days" you should just have catagories. Like say someone has a great costume but it doesn't fit with the "Green Day" theme. They should still get a little ribbion. Your ribbions could fit your catagories. You could have two strans of ribbion. One rainbow saying "It's the hall cosplay contest!" and the second one could go with the theme. Like green for the green theme (duh), red or white for traditional Japanese, ect. You should have a school uniform catagory. :3 (With a navy blue ribbion.) What's a bigger part of anime than the traditional school uniform? ;)

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:50:33 am »
Quote from: "Nekochi"
You should have a school uniform catagory. :3 (With a navy blue ribbion.) What's a bigger part of anime than the traditional school uniform? ;)

Hmmm..... I think that the Japanese day should be just "Japanese Fashion" or split into Traditional and Modern. This would encompass all the uniforms, ninjas, kimonos, AND the Gothic Lolita swarm. Also, give the J-rockers whichever ribbon goes best with their outfit.

Also, beware Kagome  and Ouran cosplayers trying to get more than one ribbon! Heh heh.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:40:11 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Last year Pocky Club (me) had the Programming staff's digital camera to take pictures out in the convention for the Hall cosplay contest. However since I never got any instructions on HOW it was supposed to work and what I was supposed to ask people it didn't really happen.

The way Hall Costume competitions work is very simple: if you show up at the convention wearing a costume, you have entered the competition. There are people handing out ribbons who are watching out for particularly nice costumes. The number of ribbons handed out is a function of the ratio of the number of ribbons to the number of attendees. Meaning, if we have 500 ribbons and there are 1500 people, nearly everyone is going to get at least one hall cosplay ribbon... if we have the same 500 ribbons, but we have 10,000 people, then only a few will get ribbons as they have to divvy them up among a much larger selection and they'll be fussier about who gets 'em. The second level to hall cosplay competitions is that if the ribbon hander-outers acutally have a digital camera (either in their possession or at a particular location that they send  you) then there is the opportunity to choose a grand prize winner by examining all the pictures and picking a favorite. Again, most of this depends upon whether or not they have managed to arrange for a big prize. Most hall cosplay winners just get the hall ribbon... it's only recently that someone came up with the idea of picking a "best" costume...

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:22:24 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Quote from: "Nekochi"
You should have a school uniform catagory. :3 (With a navy blue ribbion.) What's a bigger part of anime than the traditional school uniform? ;)

Hmmm..... I think that the Japanese day should be just "Japanese Fashion" or split into Traditional and Modern. This would encompass all the uniforms, ninjas, kimonos, AND the Gothic Lolita swarm. Also, give the J-rockers whichever ribbon goes best with their outfit.

Also, beware Kagome  and Ouran cosplayers trying to get more than one ribbon! Heh heh.

:3 Who me? Heheh.

There should also be a "That's a cool costume but it doesn't really fit into any catagory" catagory. XD

And I've just realized I got something for the green catagory.

Huzzah! Kino green!

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:51:42 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
The way Hall Costume competitions work is very simple: if you show up at the convention wearing a costume, you have entered the competition. There are people handing out ribbons who are watching out for particularly nice costumes.

Just make sure we get the ribbons and we can do it!  :D  V!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:34 am »
wow, what a great idea, I kinda want to be in a contest but I HATE wasting time waiting in line.  I'd rather go out and do something fun than line up and wait to be judged, but if someone hands one a ribbon and says check back at the end of the day, that'll be awesome, no time to do that at all.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:20 am »
That reminds me, since Pocky Club officially has a booth next door to Kumoricon Swag we could probably make that the Hall Copslay HQ.

Think the con could station a computer down there for both booths to use so we can store pics from a digital camera on there? Heck, station the digital camera down there for awhile!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 05:29:32 am »
how did the people find out the results of the contest last year?
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Hall costume competition?
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:29 am »
Heh heh, there weren't any results last year. There wasn't really a contest last year.

Since I've officially been put in charge of this years contest I can now make some official statements.

I am waiting to hear what my prize budget will be because I really want to give out one prize a day so people with a bajillion costumes can be recognized for more than one, but since Monday's so short that's not really going to work.

There will be a cool ribbon given out to everyone whose picture we take. I've requested 200 ribbons so we should be able to get a lot of cosplayers. Each ribbon will come with a little form that is optional. If you fill out the form and drop it off at our booth you'll be eligible for the real contest (we'll need to be able to find you and get you your prize, for that we need your info). If you don't really care then no big deal, you've got a cool ribbon and your picture in the Kumoricon Cosplay Gallery!

Pocky Club will be picking out the finalists each night and printing out pictures of them at the booth. Each morning you can come and see if you won one of our special prizes (probably Kumorikash) for the previous day's costumes. At closing ceremonies we'll award the Grand Prize for the contest and put your picture up on the big screen for everyone to see. This may not be much of a ceremony since we're usually short on time at closing but you'll still get a prize.

If you gave us your contact form but are only there one day then you won't be eligible for the special prizes but you might still win the Grand Prize. If this happens we'll use your form information to contact you and get you your prize. Special Prize winners must pick up their prizes themself but we will let you know you won if we don't see you early in the day.

More details when I get the info about my budget.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:07 am »
Tom - I have a lot of Japanese/anime stuff I'd be willing to donate as prizes, are you interested?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 10:27:03 am »
Tom - I have a lot of Japanese/anime stuff I'd be willing to donate as prizes, are you interested?

OF COURSE!!!
Prizes are always hard to come by and the bigger contests (video game tourneys, Karaoke, Cosplay on Stage) get the bigger prizes. The only thing I know we'll get is ribbons and Kumorikash. If Pocky Club can supply special prizes to special contestants then the conetest will be even more fun!

Bring whatever you have to the meeting and I can decide what would be best for our contest.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:17 pm »
I'll bring a bag of stuff and you can sift through them. :3 There's even random stuff like sushi coasters...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:03:22 pm »
*imagines a bunch of california rolls riding a car along a big curvy track until the loop-de-loop where a bunch of the rice falls out of one while the sushi screams*

:o whoa..... sushi coaster.....

That sounds pretty cool. You don't have any manga in your grab bag right?
Because that should go to the library.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 06:00:53 pm »
This sounds like a great idea! Mainly because I love to cosplay, but don't think I'm up to snuff for the stage, as it were. Thato r I just have plain ol' stage fright. Either way, the hall cosplay "edition" of the cotnest sounds pretty sweet. Cause I plan to prance around all weekend anyway, heh. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 09:38:30 pm »
This sounds like a great idea! Mainly because I love to cosplay, but don't think I'm up to snuff for the stage, as it were. Thato r I just have plain ol' stage fright. Either way, the hall cosplay "edition" of the cotnest sounds pretty sweet. Cause I plan to prance around all weekend anyway, heh. ^_^
That's actually the POINT  ;D of the Hall Cosplay competition - It's to acknowledge people who spend massive amounts of time making a costume but do not enter the cosplay competition for whatever reason (NOTE: you may win an award in BOTH the Hall cosplay competition AND in the regular Cosplay competition!). Can't wait to see YOUR costume   :-*

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
Awesome. I think it will really be a hit, and by "it", I mean the contest, though in retrospect I could very well be talking about my costume as well, lol. (I'm just not that cocky. ^_^ )

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 01:51:35 pm »
Update on the ribbons.

Those neat rainbow ribbons from 2005? Yeah, according to our fearless conchair they were purchased outside of the con budget and cost WAY more than we can possibly afford.

However we are trying to work out a way to get you guys something cool that is also affordable. I'm trying to avoid bland little red or blue ribbons.

NHo matter what happens, rest assured you will not go empty handed if you are chosen by our photographers.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:11:29 pm »
Yay! Budgets are understandable, and I am sure I speak for many when I say that recognition is good enough for me. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:39 pm »
ve haf veys of makink people happy, ja.   ;)

I have a pile of assorted ribbons and suchlike that may have to be "drafted" for the mission, but we will be certain that cosplayers are properlay celebrated.  That's why I trusted Pocky Club to handle the Hall cosplay stuff.  :D

Offline sadaharu

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 08:56:15 pm »
any idea when it will be decided what day is the 'traditional japanese' day? It would be good to know what day to wear my yukata, since i'll want to wear my costume the rest of the time ^^

I have the pretty wooden sandals to go with my yukata. The only problem is they only come in one size (which is too small for me D:) and they're just in general painful to wear. but at least they're pretty...   i'll just have to decide how long i'm willing sacrifice my feet wear them x__x

I will now carry on with putting the finishing touches on my costume, in hope of getting a cool little ribbon or something 8D

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 02:33:01 pm »
I've got 3d4 prizes ready for the Hall cosplay contest but i'd like to turn it into 3d6, or at least 2d4+Ribbons.

The funny thing is that I have the special prizes but not the generic participant prizes.
Categories so far:
Best Fantasy RPG Costume
Best Ninja
Best Traditional Japanese Garb
Best Catgirl
Chibiest Chibi in the Land
Host with the Most

I should get some certificates. Maybe I can just get some blank ones when they print out the Actual Cosplay Contest's certificates.
Hmmmmm....
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:37 pm »
Lack of ribbons, eh? Well, I have 3 spools of purple ribbon [the ribbon is thin, though, so we can't write on it easily. However it could work as some sort of hall ribbon if we cut it to 6" lengths and attach a pin to each cut section (and maybe add a button or sticker or something cool to the top of it...)]I'll be bringing the ribbon to the con anyway and you can check it out.

Offline chibiroth

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 03:49:30 am »
chibiest chibi of the land? lol this should be interesting!
Kumoricon 2008 cosplay:

Princess Tutu
Riku- KH
Hunny-Ouran Host Club
Cooking Mama
Alita- Apollo Justice

And a Secret Cosplay hehe :D

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 09:59:35 am »
There'll be more based on how many prizes we can get AT the convention, Mustash.

Runa; Purple Ribbon sounds fine to me. I was told be an exec not to worry about the ribbon though, so we'll see how that works out.  :-\
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 04:24:12 am »
So I hear word that I won "Baddest Mofo" award, haha. I, unfortunately, couldn't swing by the Pocky Club table to pick anything up in time though. I was wondering if there will be a way for me to pick up the award, or something to that effect?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ninetailbunny

• Oni
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 09:54:35 pm »
Has the results been posted anywhere online?
I couldn't seem to find any.

Offline Hei

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 10:34:59 pm »
I felt pretty insulted when one of the people took down my friend's picture and name and ignored me, even though I was in costume and he wasn't
09 cosplay:
Tomodachi/Friend - 20th Century Boys

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 11:09:17 pm »
Well, I can tell you the winner of the "Best Use of Green" category - my brother won.
-_-; They didn't put the full last name. It's Charney Cohen, and they only put Cohen.

Gahh, it makes me mad when it happens.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:08 am »
Since Pocky Club was in charge of the Hall cosplay contest, we were still working out some kinks. As a member, I apologize. We absolutely didn't mean to offend or make anyone mad.
Tom has all the results, but I think he's been busy these couple days so please be patient, thank you!