Author Topic: Japanese Street Fashion  (Read 16812 times)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Japanese Street Fashion
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:06:47 pm »
I've become absolutely obsessed with Japanese Street Fashion.  I was wondering if there were any others in the Vancouver/Portland area.  If so, I was going to propose a get together at perhaps Pioneer Courthouse Square or something (or waterfront, or Lloyd Center or whatever) of a group of us that want to dress up and chat together.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out www.fruits-mg.com (I think it's down right now though), www.babyssb.co.jp , and so on....Or search Daikanyama or Harajuku fashion.

Anybody feel like it?  

What are your favourite fashion subcultures?

-r

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:19:30 pm »
Ya! The Gothic Lolita and Harajuku look has always been a favorite of mine (though I'd never attempt to pull any of it off myself, being a guy and all). I myself am fond of the gothic medieval attire and the cyber subculture. It is a nice meshing of looks, heh.

O <0.0> --O---E

And I totally agree that a gathering should be organized. I live not even 9 blocks from Pioneer Courthouse Square, so the idea sounds spiffy to me. I may not come dressed in Harajuku style, but I would make it worth it, nonetheless.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:23:30 am »
I loooooooove:
Decora, Lolita, Gangruo/Yamanba, FRUiTS, Urban and like, that new lolitype I've seen, the one's with the eye-patches, and they're all bloody and stuff? Also Ganguro-Loli. Although there was only like, three of thoes I've seen.

^_^ But lolita and decora are my favorite.

I'm planning on getting a summer job to save up for a bunch of lolita.
If you're into lolita, then this is one of my favorite online shops that ships to the US other than BTSSB.
http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/english/index.html

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:47 am »
Too Cool.  ^__^  I havn't bought anything loli, I get the magazines and attempt to make it myself, but that works half and half.  Thanks for the link to the other store, I intend to drool all over it.  

I think the one style with the eyepatches...well, I'm not sure of the name, but I know that they sell that sort of thing on  BTSSB, as 'Alice and the Pirates'...I love the new pirate flavour.  ^_^

I think it'd be such an awesome idea to get all those who are interested in these strange sort of sub-cultures together, just to look at what everybody else is doing and maybe take some pictures.  

Even if you're not into wearing the whole street fashion thing, it'd be awesome to have some supporters if we get enough people that feel like going out and parading around in all the finery (or un-finery, depending on what sort of street-fashion you go for).  :p  

Thanks again for the website, and if we decide to make a day of it, I hope you'll come along?  

-r

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:24:55 am »
^_^ Hehe, I've been meaning to ask when the next Lolita-Portland thing is, so I'm pretty sure I could come along if it wasn't like, last second, you know?

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 02:12:54 pm »
That's the thing.  ^_^  I was kinda hoping to set something like that up.  It won't be last minute.  I was thinking maybe towards the end of March, or the beginning of April.  Most people would be on spring break, and so they'd be more likely to have time for silliness.  

I don't know if it'd be only lolita, I have a friend who wants to be a part, but she dresses more of the mix-and-match style, and another who is some hybrid of her own.  Loli is so cute though.

-r

Offline Phylicia

• Cabbit
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:27:16 am »
I'd be interested in coming.

I'm not very knowedlable about the subcultures, but I love ganguro and decora,  know that... I love most the stuff in the FRUiTS books, too.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
Hey I heard there is a park in Japan ware every one shows up on Saturday and dresses like Americans in the 50's right out of the movies American Graffiti, Grease or Pleasantville and a lot of guys go as Elvis.   I can show up as Fonzie but ONLY if some ones Aunt will be there in poodle skirts.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 12:08:19 pm »
@ neko
i can soooo see you in somthing like that
i'd be up for somthing tho like neko just need to know when to plan for it super funness
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 08:56:50 pm »
There's lots of different areas where people just gather and hang out in Japan...Someone I met here on these forums was over there and he took pictures of the Harajuku area, and all the people that were dressed up, and that's what originally got me interested in the whole sub-culture thing.  ^_^  It's awesome to see that other people are interested in this.

If we end up doing this around the end of March or the beginning of April, do you think we should all just hang out or do any of you have any ideas about some things we could do?  I know Todai is right around there......

-r

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:02:11 pm »
Quote from: "Ruriko"
Someone I met here on these forums was over there and he took pictures of the Harajuku area, and all the people that were dressed up, and that's what originally got me interested in the whole sub-culture thing.  ^_^  It's awesome to see that other people are interested in this.

Hey there. ^__________^
(Me, right? http://midori-ronin.deviantart.com/ )

Offline PixeL

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 01:04:04 pm »
hey, speaking of which, you guys should come to seattle for the next styleswap!

http://www.kumoricon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33516#33516

more info is on the link ^______________^

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 06:44:55 pm »
Ohh~ I always wanted to go to one. >.>

I saw this really awesome website off the Livejournal Ganguro Community and there's ALOT of really cool Fashion/Idol/Anime Mags. :)

http://kayiu.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=94

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 12:31:57 pm »
The one and only, Negima.  ^_^  Your pictures were awesome!!  

Cool info on the link....How often do style-swaps take place?  Do they ever happen in Portland??

-r

Offline PixeL

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »
Quote from: "Ruriko"
The one and only, Negima.  ^_^  Your pictures were awesome!!  

Cool info on the link....How often do style-swaps take place?  Do they ever happen in Portland??

-r

Style swaps happen every third saturday of the month at the frequancy 8 manga lounge in Seattle. Swappers and their friends get to enjoy live DJs, open turntables and free DDR [4th mix mashine] courtosy of frequency 8 manga lounge.

They do not happen in Portland with the exception of Kumoricon. I would love to host ones in Portland but i do not know anyone or have any connections with any open venues. If you [or anyone] know a coffee shop, lounge, whatever that can hold up to about 40 people and space to lay out clothes let me know so i can host one in the area.

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 04:17:44 pm »
A style swap in Portland would be awesome.  Me personally, I'm not aware of any place off the top of my head that could host a get together, but I'm still fairly new to town, and somebody on these boards's got to know.  (btw, I just saw all your pictures in another thread here, Pixel, and you are too cute!!  ^_^)  

Is the one in Seattle ever held during the week?  I work doubles every weekend, but I'd really like to check it out.  

Does anybody in Portland know any good thrift stores that one might shop for oddities in?  I heard the Red Light is awesome.  

-r

Offline natsuko119

• Oni
Japanese street fashion : online store ?
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 09:32:32 pm »
I'm in love with this store!!

http://stores.ebay.com/planet-walrus

view their portfolio on lj

http://easterngypsylj.livejournal.com/

Not only does it offer a wide variety of Japanese street styles it also includes various Japanese subgenre fashion clothes & accessories, priced affordably too, worth checking out :O)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 11:51:19 am »
Wow, those are neat....and very affordable, you're right.  ^_^  Thanks for the heads up!

-r

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 07:04:53 pm »
Yeah, Red Light is awesome, Buffalo Exchange is nice, Naked City is great, though not completely thrift, to be exact. Spartacus is good for leathery odds n ends, if you don't mind the occasional barrage of "bedroom materials".

Ummm, there are so many more I have been to, and I can't remember any. *scratches head* Well, I'll clue you in if I remember.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 07:17:28 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"

Spartacus is good for leathery odds n ends, if you don't mind the occasional barrage of "bedroom materials".

I make leather stuff so when I show people my sword belts made from Black leather and chrome parts I get a LOT or people that tell me I should go look around the Spartacus store next time I’m in P-Land.  They said the "bedroom materials" are put together badly and I could do better.

Things to do in P-land

Look in Powell’s Books
Look in OMSI
Look in those two Army Surplus stores
Look Up friends from HS
Look in the Kinky leather store
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 07:55:00 pm »
I wasn't too impressed by the Buffalo Exchange in Portland.  My school is right nearby.  They have a lot of fun stuff around Halloween, but it's much expensive.  Lots of people have found super-cute things at the Red Light.  One girl here has a black and purple swing dancing dress that looks oh-so-lolita...

And spartacus has loads of wigs!!!  Best place to go for good quality (somewhat low-cost) costume wigs.  ^___^

-r

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 09:52:46 am »
oooo i've heard of them and that there suposto be good, but never been
oh but lack of funds..

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 12:05:32 pm »
Yeah, Buffalo Exchange is pretty spendy, at least it always is when I tend to go. And, that swing dress sounds very fancy, in them ost awesome sense of the word.

oh but lack of funds..

I know your pain. I work and all my month's wages go straight to my rent. It's lovely. XP

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 11:55:43 am »
So anyways.....

Anybody up for taking over Portland sometime in early April?  I think April Fools'd be soooo cool to meet up.

If not for street fashion, then for a thrift store excursion.  

-r

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
Well, I am down for anything and everything. I'm not exactly an educated youngling when it comes to gothic lolita street fashion, but I would definitely be into going through some thrift stores with y'all wonderful people.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:51 am »
i dont know every ones location amounts of free time but i have a sewing macheing and thing about my work is i work at a fabric store and some bolts of black costume satin came up left over from halloween so it was 90% off and the i still got 15% off the total, i can afford that
now i know i wouldnt need all i have but i figured i knew people who could apreshate some black satin

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 11:13:12 am »
rather than do an anime cosplay this year i've been actually giving some heavy thought to doing a FRUiTS or Hara this year. Leaning towards something lolita like. Husbands doing a J-Rock & anime. The hard part will be narrowing down between choices. I like to mix up my cyber look with my J-Street styles a lot, so this will be fun!  :)

( I know I haven't posted in FOREVER :sigh: )
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 05:38:04 pm »
Quote from: "riverspree"
rather than do an anime cosplay this year i've been actually giving some heavy thought to doing a FRUiTS or Hara this year. Leaning towards something lolita like. Husbands doing a J-Rock & anime. The hard part will be narrowing down between choices. I like to mix up my cyber look with my J-Street styles a lot, so this will be fun!  :)

( I know I haven't posted in FOREVER :sigh: )

I love your icon! n_n It's from... oh god... x_x It's that anime and ther's that... house. and it's magical or something. I forgot the name.

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 06:10:29 pm »
edit dbl post
Kumo 2007 Cosplays

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 06:10:44 pm »
Popotan  ^_^ which does indeed involve a magical traveling house
Kumo 2007 Cosplays

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 06:33:11 pm »
Yay. xD

Oh, if anyone was intrested, I wanted to think about having those Gothic Lolita Portland Meetups? (Haha, I'd need to acctualy BUY some loli though). During the summer would work best for those of us in school.

Oh, would anyone want a Northwest Para Para group? XD Bwahaha. I looooove Para para.

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 01:26:33 pm »
I would very much like to meet, regardless of what we do!  I'd be fun to just talk Loli with other people.  Were any of you at the Tea Party last year?  Does anybody plan on attending this year?

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 02:35:26 pm »
I was at the party last year. I will also be at the tea party this year. I, along with several of my lolita friend are also running a Lolita Fashion: How to panel an hour/half hour after the tea party.
The thread for the tea party is here;

http://www.kumoricon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3078&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »
I've been watching that thread as well!  ^_^  I went to the Tea Party last year as too.  It was a lot of fun, but it felt like it ended too quickly...I hope there is more discussion and such this year.  I'd like to meet more people who are into Lolita.  ^_^

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:55 pm »
What was your outfit? :)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 10:09:51 pm »
I had a Hello Kitty head for a purse.  ^_^  Other than that, I was pretty standard loli....I also had bells in my hair.  ?  Those are the only two accessories that might be remember-able.  I sat at the middle table?  *shrug*

What was your outfit?     :)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »
I was in this outfit;http:// http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/carolineacree/a020.jpg

:) I'm really excited about it next year. If you have a livejournal you should join the Oregon lolita community.

http://community.livejournal.com/orlolipops/profile

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 06:49:24 pm »
Aha~!  I remember you...You had all the BBSTB goodies that I was secretly lusting over...  :)  The girl that I was with was dressed Kodona/Aristocrat-- she won one of the best dressed awards.  She gave me her strawberry.  ^_^

I do have LiveJournal, I'll check out the community.  ^_^    Thank youuuu~!

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 06:57:54 pm »
You're welcome. May I add you on myspace? :)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Japanese Street Fashion
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 07:20:13 pm »
Of course~!  ^_^  I joined the L.J. community...At least, I think I did....It's nice to meet up with more people that are into Street Fashion.  I wish that there was more of that here...Oregon is so diverse, I don't know we havn't spawned some of our own little inventions.....