Author Topic: It's a map  (Read 599683 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:52:07 pm »
So here's the page.

http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/maps.html
(note, this is a new URL, this one is safe to bookmark)

The map is too big to post here for now.
I'll make a smaller one later, I've already broken up the images to load seperately.

This is the convention space plan as far as I've been able to tell. This is for the benefit of those of you planning panels as well as those of you who missed the meetings.

Also I finally located the Hotel measurements.

This page contains the stats for the rooms above.
I will try and get calculations up on the map now.

We've now got a stage map for the cosplay contest people and anyone else helping with main events.

Also, I like maps.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
map
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:49:02 am »
So where are the dealers / vendors going?? I didn't see that space listed on the map.

Does anyone have the useable dimensions of the stage? Is there a backstage area (and how big)? I'm trying to prep for Cosplay and I need to know what space we have available... certain cosplayers tend to want to take up the whole stage, and if the stage is smaller or larger than expected then things can go wrong. Will there be space for a "green room" off main events for cosplayers waiting to go on stage (so we can have snacks /drinks for 'em as well as _I hope_ monitors to watch other acts)?

Where will microphones be located? Can we do recordings for cosplay some time during the day & where? Does the main events room have a good location for costume judging (zero traffic and plenty of light so judges can see costumes and not be bugged by other people)?  

-Runa

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Re: map
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 09:21:44 am »
Quote from: "Runa"

Will there be space for a "green room" off main events for cosplayers waiting to go on stage (so we can have snacks /drinks for 'em as well as _I hope_ monitors to watch other acts)?

you remind me of an idea I had.  Some cons have unofficial people who wander around with cosplay repair kits as cosplay medics.  If I get enough helpers this year I'm gonna send one to the green room for the show.

looking at the map (it's the same one he was pimpen last week)

if the main events has no subdivisions not shown on the map the rooms marked workshop and rounds would have to be used for the cosplay show prep as green room and such
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 11:19:55 am »
The map has not changed. Vondan was right about the Rounds room becoming the Green Room on Sunday night. Another year of finger crossing for a video link!

The vendor area is not on the map because it under the first floor. The basement parking level will be exibitor hall. It runs the length of the con space from just north of the Elevators to the south end of the building. I do not know how it will be divided up or where Artist's Alley will be.

It should be very easy to organize thanks to the lines on the floor. Heh heh.

There's a couple of other parts of the map I wanted to put up online but I can't do that at work. Like the upper stories where the hotel rooms are and where the pool and smoker's balcony are (third floor). I'm going to grab one of those google map pictures too.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
floor plan
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »
Dealers in parking area??? (yeah, I know it's indoors...)
So then where do the con attendees park? Traditionally the parking garage is used for cars. OR am I not understanding this at all....

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:30:27 pm »
can i pretend the maps a seed?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: floor plan
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:47:57 pm »
So then where do the con attendees park? Traditionally the parking garage is used for cars. OR am I not understanding this at all....

It's OK, I said the same thing earlier. Here's the explanation as I've heard it.

The below ground parking garage is (I believe) from the original building. The entire hotel structure was rebuilt with the help of the City of Vancouver a few years back. In return for an awesome hotel, the Hilton chain is responsible for the Vancouver Convention Center. When they remodelled they built a seperate parking area that I believe is in the back. I've yet to drive to the hotel actually, so I couldn't tell you for sure. When we took the tour though, there was only vehicle in the whole garage (a maintnance van near the garage door) So I'm guessing it's not usually a problem.

One amusing idea that the garage made methink of was people just parking their vans in the space and arranging the tables beside them like a kind of flea market. A little trashy but it would be interesting.

That's what I know, most of it's hearsay but it makes sense. I'm hoping one of the people who DROVE to that meeting will be able to verify some of this. information.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Re: floor plan
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:08:10 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

That's what I know, most of it's hearsay but it makes sense. I'm hoping one of the people who DROVE to that meeting will be able to verify some of this. information.

you stole my idea  last year a friend asked if I wanted to barrow his motor home (but it was also sans a tranny as the mechanic took 3 months to fix it as he lived in it)  I could try that this year and kill three Mynocks with one blaster.  How to haul my stuff, ware to set up my stuff, how to bust down or lock up my stuff a night and ware to stay
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
It's a map
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:43 pm »
I don't know the full details, but I believe the vendor area of the parking garage is going to be decorated very well so it will not feel like a parking garage, but it will feel like a regular vendors' room.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:42:25 pm »
Quote from: "JeffT"
I don't know the full details, but I believe the vendor area of the parking garage is going to be decorated very well so it will not feel like a parking garage, but it will feel like a regular vendors' room.

Ah, so it will be more like the vendor area at the Double Tree. Cool.
Fingers crossed for carpetting!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:53 pm »
how secure will the vendor area be after closing.  will they lock it or will we post Yojimbo in there all night.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 08:09:06 pm »
Also, there is a lot of free parking within a few blocks of the Vancouver Convention Center. The closest garages are free to use on weekends. But double-check to make sure you don't end up in one that will charge you. But parking shouldn't be a problem. It's not like there's anything to do in downtown Vancouver outside of 9-5, M-F.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
It's a map
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 10:35:14 pm »
I like how much bigger the ladies rooms are than the mens rooms.
 anyway, thanks for posting that. it helps when planning meetups ^_^
-Mikae

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 06:57:40 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
It's not like there's anything to do in downtown Vancouver outside of 9-5, M-F.

Another glowing review of our con-site ladies and gentlemen! "The area is boring so no-one else will be there!"

Anyway, as far as the security of the vendor area, dig this.

The garage has a roll-down gate that can be closed over the main driveway and the elevators themselves are actually within a chain link cage. when you exit the elevator there is a gat to the left and a gate to the right. It's an ideal set up for having one entrance and one exit and controlling the flow of people in and out. Then onc the place is closed for the night you just lock the entrance and wait for the everyone to clear out then the other gate can be locked until morning.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
It's a map
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 09:38:08 am »

Another glowing review of our con-site ladies and gentleman! "The area is boring so no-one else will be there!"

Aw that just means people will be happy we're there cause it will give them happiness in their otherwise boring and dreary lives!  ^_^
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 10:27:36 am »
quote="TomtheFanboy"]

Another glowing review of our con-site ladies and gentleman! "The area is boring so no-one else will be there!"

[/quote]

It also means that people are more likely to STAY at the con since there won't be anything else to do besides be there.  :)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 07:51:59 pm »
It also means that people are more likely to STAY at the con since there won't be anything else to do besides be there.  :)

Exactly my response.

I'm not going to dress up Vancouver to be something it's not. It's not a hip, happening place to go on a weekend night. It's not impossible to find a parking spot. The two bars I can think of that have karaoke play both kinds of music, country and western. To people twice your age. It's downright dull on the weekend and in the evenings. That might not play well with the raver anime kids, but it's certainly helpful for many of the attendees to know that they won't have to worry about an impossible, expensive parking situation or not feeling safe outside the convention center.

Your smarmy attitude is not appreciated, Tom.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 08:38:57 pm »

The two bars I can think of that have karaoke play both kinds of music, country and western.

ha ha  you rememberd that joke from Smokey and the Bandit 2 no one ever gets it when i talk about the town I went to HS and it had both kinds of music
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »

(edit) I have no idea what happened to this post. Heh heh heh, I'm sure that it wasn't sabotaged though. Looks like I got my self on this one. for those of you that didn't see it, I posted a quotation with no text because i messed up. That's what I get for posting at work.

Anyway, I'll be good for awhile, just happy to get a response outta "The Man".
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 09:58:01 pm »

Exactly my response.

I'm not going to dress up Vancouver to be something it's not. It's not a hip, happening place to go on a weekend night. It's not impossible to find a parking spot. The two bars I can think of that have karaoke play both kinds of music, country and western. To people twice your age. It's downright dull on the weekend and in the evenings. That might not play well with the raver anime kids, but it's certainly helpful for many of the attendees to know that they won't have to worry about an impossible, expensive parking situation or not feeling safe outside the convention center.

What he said.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 04:35:11 pm »
OK, back to being helpful. Here's some attributes that I've gotten from the rooms while I was on break today. I'll clean it up once I sit down with my map at home and add the numbers to the map itself.

Now we can start drawing a stage!

Hotel Room name, square footage, measurements
                                            (width, length, height in feet)
---Our Name, Seating Style, Capacity (estimated for some rooms)

*****Downstairs Rooms*****

Heritage Ballroom A/B/C/D? 10502, 89 x 118, 18
---Main Events, Theater, 900

Heritage Ballroom- F? 1755, 39 x 45, 18
---workshop, Classroom?, 85

Heritage Ballroom- E? 1755, 39 x 45, 18
---Rounds Room, Banquet, 140

Discovery Ballroom- A/B  3720, 120 x 62, 18
---Live Programming, Theater, 325?

Discovery Ballroom- C/D/E 3720, 120 x 62, 18
---Gaming, Classroom?, 180

Alder-       1050, 42 x 25, 10  
---Karaoke, Theater, 100

****UPSTAIRS****

Oak-         1196, 46 x 26, 10
---Panel Room 1, Theater, 110

Hemlock      1118, 43 x 26, 10  
---Panel Room 2, Theater, 100

Cedar      1075, 43 x 25, 10  
---Fanfic Room, Classroom, 50

Birch      550  25' x 22'  10  
---JRock, Theater, 50 people

Ash      550  25' x 22'  10
---Art Show, banquet-ish?, 40 people

Board Room   875  35' x 25'  10  
---Manga Library, Conference, 16 people

Spruce-      962, 37 x 26,  10  
---Viewing Room, Theater, 70 people

Pine-      962, 37 x 26,  10  
---Viewing Room, Theater, 70 people
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 05:53:39 am »
The max people for each room has been added and a preliminary map for the dealer's room has been added.

I've also added a little stage in the Main Events room to give us an idea of the max capacity/ scale we're dealing with. If we take up 1/3 of the space with stage and gear it drops the seating to 600 officially. According to the designs theater seating is for displays on the wall and may not account for a full stage. Honestly I think 700 is a better estimate for seating.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 11:36:32 am »
The page has been moved to maps.html, prompting an udate of the post and a bumping of the thread.

I've added some information but the exhibitor's map will need to be updated with the newest info from Eric (the guy in charge). It seems that the elevators and stairs will all be locked! I'm still not sure about the layout though. We'll get that news later.

Also, the artshow may be moved to make room for a mini panel area!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 12:31:33 pm »
I've added some information but the exhibitor's map will need to be updated with the newest info from Eric (the guy in charge). It seems that the elevators and stairs will all be locked! I'm still not sure about the layout though.!

OK, if the elevators & stairs are all locked, how will we get into exhibitor's hall? Will they have a star trek style transporter for us to beam in or will we be walking in from the vehicle entrance from the outside or climbing in through the windows?  :wink:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 12:49:46 pm »
All attendees will go in and out the main driveway.
Also, Eric has verified that the hotel will be puting up a gate at night.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:57 pm »
this will make for a very easy post for a couple yojimbo. 2 on the only door in and out and 1 roaming
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 03:11:54 pm »
Did anyone check on where the WATER goes when it rains and water comes in through the driveway into the parking garage? Cars don't care about getting wet. Dealers who are selling things DO care...   :?   Just a thought. (Yeah, it's Washington, but it's still the Pacific North Wets and is very likely to rain at least ONE of the days of KumoriCon)

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
It's a map
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 03:17:46 pm »
There ought to be a trough style drain at the bottom of the ramp to collect all water  entering the building from the outside.  I'm pretty sure that IBC (international building code) requires all water from vehicle areas be collected and diverted to the sanitary sewer (as opposed to storm sewer), but that's probably more than you wanted to know.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 03:25:39 pm »
OK, I'll trust that they've taken care of rivers of water coming down into parking garage... but what about cover for us people who have to step outside to get to the delaters?  :?  

Yeah, I won't melt, but my costumes don't get along with water too well...and if people are potentially getting wet, they're less likely to go there. If they don't go there, dealers don't sell, and when dealers don't sell, they don't return following year ... Maybe it would be better to make elevators / stairs available and close off the big vehicle entrance (except for allowing dealers to enter exit there w/ merchandise?  )

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 03:35:45 pm »
my guess is in the case of rain, we go to the hotel staff to unlock a stairwell or elevator. it wont take much to change routes and move yojimbo into position.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 05:27:07 pm »
I'ts really not that much of a walk, especilly if you're smart enough to use the stairs over by the gaming room and not by the main entrance (I guess that area won't be as empty as I told the gaming coordinator.... Oops).

However we should be able to open the south elevator the easiest. I'ms still not sure how the south stairwell connects up. That's on my list of things for my next visit.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 07:40:23 am »
SIGNAGE... we will need LOTS of SIGNS so people know which way they can go & where stuff is.  8)  

Isn't planning fun?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:50 am »
The Sign Monarch will actually be an official staff position in Ops.
I'm hoping we get an education major, they are trained to write legibly in all sorts of colors. :wink:

I'll have to add the driveway to the map.

I think I'll make little packets for everyone at the retreat. Everyone will get maps and street team forms and yojimbo information. I'll call it the staffpack.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
It's a map
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 02:56:32 pm »
I'll send you programming forms to add to it if you want :)

Brenda
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 10:26:00 am »
Oh pleeeeease do so. I will probably end up giving them to people at the Pocky Club meetings. I know Mustash'll be there after all.

I have Acrobat Pro at work so I can cobble together forms. They probably won't be as good as Peter's though.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 11:52:09 am »
I'll notify you all via the Pocky Club newsletter, relax.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 05:33:33 pm »
Another update to the outside map. I was up there this weekend and verified Burgerville and found some spots nearby, like the closest pizza delivery place. West Side Pizza. I'm hoping we can get in contact with them and maybe even convince them to put some coupons in the swag bags. Lord knows they're gonna get business.

I also located the Black Angus steak house next to the Shilo Inn. That's a big deal for steak lovers like Vallie.

Also, for the staffers, there's a Fedex/Kinkos ONE BLOCK NORTH of the Burgerville. Those of you coming in from the North and taking the Mill Plain exit off I-5 will be going right past it. I know someone will have to head over there at somepoint during the con.

Unfortunately, the nearest grocery store is actually the Safeway over on Hayden Island.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
It's a map
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 01:44:08 am »
Yes, coupons in swag bags would be great! I want to note that we do have an advertising fee that we charge for flyers in the con bag, but if the item is valuable to the attendees (such as goodies, samplers, or coupons), we would waive the fee, and encourage those items.

We also have a reduced advertising rate for the con book that is reserved solely for local restaurants (walking distance or very short driving distance) from the con. It's 1/6 page for $50, which works out to 40% less cost for the equivalent space rate based on all the other ad sizes except full page. (Details here, and I'll be posting an updated street team letter PDF shortly.)

If a member of street team or a volunteer could offer this to local places, that would be great. Please coordinate with Sarah (antares on the forum) before you start so we can track what places we have already talked to and who we plan to talk to.

Even if they don't advertise with us, we would still like to inform all the local food places of our event, and also gather addresses and open hours, so we can print those in the con book or the pocket book. Please keep in mind that Labor Day Weekend hours may vary from normal hours when checking.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:52 am »
Quote from: "JeffT"
If a member of street team or a volunteer could offer this to local places, that would be great. Please coordinate with Sarah (antares on the forum) before you start so we can track what places we have already talked to and who we plan to talk to.

That is just the kind of go-ahead we've been waiting for. When out and about on Memorial Day we avoided doing this because we had been told to get permission from our managers first.

Next time we head up there I'll be sure to verify the advertising fees and everything then hit the streets. In fact Mike, our driver for the day, mentioned that he had personal interest in all the little cafes in the blocks north of the subway so hopefully he'll see this information before he heads out.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 02:25:14 pm »
Be sure you hit up the Coffee Lounge on 11th and Main, and if Rico is there, give him crap for me.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »
Be sure you hit up the Coffee Lounge on 11th and Main, and if Rico is there, give him crap for me.

Heh heh, that shouldn't be too hard.

I wonder if that was the shop with "Coffee, Crepes, Tea, Wifi" on the window.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
It's a map
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:37 pm »
Another update to the outside map. I was up there this weekend and verified Burgerville and found some spots nearby, like the closest pizza delivery place. West Side Pizza. I'm hoping we can get in contact with them and maybe even convince them to put some coupons in the swag bags. Lord knows they're gonna get business.

they do alot of coupons and like meal deals and things already so you should have no probrelm getting something from them, even if it is just the normal deals they hand out as coupons

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »
*shifty eyes* I think I'm only making signs for the inside of the con. >.> Though I still need to get my hands on the forms of what the signs actually need. I could try and make signs for Outside of the con and stuff. :/ Though they'd all be on a CD and stuff. Possibly JPG, TIFF, or PSD.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
It's a map
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 11:47:34 pm »
Quote from: "Kyuubi"
*shifty eyes* I think I'm only making signs for the inside of the con. >.> Though I still need to get my hands on the forms of what the signs actually need. I could try and make signs for Outside of the con and stuff. :/ Though they'd all be on a CD and stuff. Possibly JPG, TIFF, or PSD.

Who ever is putting the signs together I keep seeing the foam core poster board at Doller tree for $1 each I priced it on line and it's up to $15 the same size.   I brought it up in a meeting a few months ago thinking it would be gone but I was running in and out of the doller tree sat and they still had it obviously they are restocking it.   If all the signs are made on the same side poster board and then store over the year in a box that is the same size they should last for years

Von "thats how we did it for a Yearly telahone" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
It's a map
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 12:33:32 pm »

We have a Sign King at last! Yay!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
It's a map
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

We have a Sign King at last! Yay!

Do I get a snazzy crown?

Offline loroo

• Oni
Re: It's a map
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2007, 09:10:27 pm »
What about wheelchair access?  Its a pain to get around in those things!  Do you have an ADA compliance person helping you out?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:32 pm »
What about wheelchair access?  Its a pain to get around in those things!  Do you have an ADA compliance person helping you out?

We don't have any ADA compliance person helping us out. You should talk to the hotel about that. The hotel is brand new so it will have lots of wheelchair access.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline loroo

• Oni
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2007, 05:33:52 pm »
I did today.  They were not helpful at all.  As a matter of fact, they seemed puzzled that I would even question getting around, parking, and such...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 12:54:16 pm »
Each room in the con space is wheel chair accessible. The panels, events, workshop, viewing rooms, and even the exhibitor hall. All the rooms have double doors for entry so there will be room to get in and the hallways and corners are all more than wide enough (so long as your fellow attendees are cooperative). The only room that might be a problem is the Gaming room because of all the consoles and DDR pads and cables. I will mention it to the gaming staff, just in case.

As for parking and the actual rooms in the hotel, the main lot and the guest rooms are accessible. I'm not sure how much room there is to maneuver once inside a guest room, that's something for the hotel (but I doubt they'll have an answer for you). The hotel will be using the parking garage across the street, this has a long entry ramp (with no special sidewalk for pedestrians or wheelchairs) but it does have an elevator. The other parking options may not be as accessible since they are scattered around downtown Vancouver.

The only complication I forsee for an attendee in a wheelchair is pre registration. the line will be running up to the door in front of the ramp, so a yojimbo would need to be called to "part the crowd" and let you up. One should be stationed outside those doors though so if it does come up they'll be able to make way quickly.

Edit: I realized quickly that I should mention that the Exhibitor's hall will be accessed by a driveway ramp that is steeper than normal (The elevators will all be locked at that level for the duration of the convention. That is, steeper than the usual wheelchair ramps at entrances. This may not be an issue but I did not want to give the wrong impression, a hand powered wheel chair would be rather difficult on such a slope if it was not expected. I don't want to be too presumptious.

Since you signed up on the volunteer list, I'd suggest you come by on Friday and become our "ADA Litmus Tester" to make sure that nobody sets up the panel rooms with stuff too close to the doors. You could show they yojimbo what to keep an eye out for to help other wheel chair using attendees get around easier.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:07:52 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!