Author Topic: How did you get into anime?  (Read 13411 times)

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
How did you get into anime?
« on: August 06, 2004, 06:23:05 am »
Was it a person who got you in? Something you noticed and liked about it? An obsession from the womb? :P

I personally got into it because one of my friends bought the Hellsing series, made me watch down to watch the first few episodes, and then I was hooked. (This wasn't very long ago)

Edit: What I forgot about earlier (even if about only one person has read this) is that I used to watch DBZ then Pokemon. I guess that's really more of where I got my start, but never got deeper than that until now.
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:02:42 am »
Hmm.  Vague memories of watching Akira on TV when I was little and not liking it at all...I suppose it really started with Toonami--particularly Gundam Wing, with a mild interest in DBZ for a while after.  And then they showed Bebop, and I was changed forever. :)

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 07:14:06 am »
DBZ! Oh yeah. I remember really liking that when I was like 8-9. I don't care for it at all now though. :P
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 07:23:06 am »
the thing that got me hooked was actually a gift from my grandmother. for my 5th b-day she gave me the un cut version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. the first time i saw it i was addicted. All hail Hayo Miyazaki!
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 07:28:47 am »
Lol, yeah, my friend and I rented DBZ from the video store one time and it got us hooked. Ranma 1/2 soon followed... Ranma is still a fun classic of course. DBZ on the other hand... Well, now we've realized that there are far better anime out there, but it's still fun to watch occasionally (mostly to make fun of the powerup scenes where they sit and look constipated while screaming for 5 minutes straight :P )!
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Magnus777

• Sailor Scout
Robotech.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:08:56 am »
I rented Robotech when I was a little kid, and here I am.
Zombie bunnys are edible play toys

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 10:19:29 am »
Hehe..Samurai Pizza Cats and Sailor Moon *-*
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 11:20:31 am »
I grew up in a household with a Mom that loved foreign movies. ^.^

But, as cool as Chinese soap operas are (and bizzarre O.o ), I got hooked when I started watching Sailor Moon when I was 10.  Of course, I had seen most of Kurosawa's samurai movies before then, and still obsess over those greatly. ^.^ (I still want to see a Seven Samurai cosplay!)
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 11:36:49 am »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
 Of course, I had seen most of Kurosawa's samurai movies before then, and still obsess over those greatly. ^.^ (I still want to see a Seven Samurai cosplay!)

Well there is a samurai 7 anime now. Loosely based off of Seven Samurai, so you might get your wish.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 07:41:10 pm »
Seven samurai anime?  I thought it was Yojimbo, not my beloved Seneve Samurai!
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 08:10:48 pm »
I saw the first couple of eps. and they were alright, took the story into the future, kinda followed the movie's storyline a lilttle bit.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Thomas

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 04:26:34 pm »
for me it was kinda a transitional thing...lemme break it down...

::the entire timeline::
Pokemon-
DBZ-
Gundam-
Bebop-
Yu Yu Hakusho-
Inuyasha-
Love Hina(my series i got on dvd)-
Trigun-
Akira-
Hayao Miyazaki movies-
Excel Saga-
FLCL-
Evangelion(still havent fully recovered)-
::current::

there may have been some minor shows in there sumwhere...but these are basically the chart of my obsession.As you can see my fandom was very gradual and is still in the beginner stages ^^;;...hell...I still enjoy dubs,plus there are still a few genres that arent covered yet.

Offline Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.theOtaku.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 08:53:56 pm »
Now I feel really old. My first exposure to anime that I can remember is watching Doraemon on video tapes from Japan. I wouldn't say I was a real avid fan until Robotech came out in the 80's.

Gail Shimura-Brightbill
theOtaku.com
Site Administrator / Staff Reporter
Gail@theOtaku.com

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 10:28:43 pm »
Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and DBZ got me hooked. Now I'm more into Shonen Jump (Japanese) comic books and anime. (Current being Naruto, Inuyasha, Black Cat, as well as FMA) Any action packed stuff with good story plot and character development will surly get me to love it. :D
-A.I-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 11:24:22 pm »
Okay, I want to reply, but I'm gonna have to give the short version of it here.

I was in an online RPG chat, years ago, and I had an idea for a character based on one of the classes in Dragon Warrior 3. Since I was vaguely aware that the game was done in the style of Japanese cartoons, I went looking for one. I found a pic from Slayers. It seemed perfect for what I had in mind.

I met a friend in the chat who was a huge anime fan, and I recognized he had a pic from the same series (gee, with Slayers? What a coincidence :P). Since now I had two reasons to be interested, I went out and rented the first video of Slayers.

It was hilarious and... different. ^^ And it filled a void in my cultural exposure left open from having played Japanese video games for so many years without knowing much about where they came from.

I've been hooked ever since. Mostly for medieval fantasy and modern day comedy/drama. I'm one of those rare "not-gaga-over-mecha" anime fans. And among the fantasy subgroup, I'm one of those rare "not-gaga-over-Final-Fantasy" anime fans. :P
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 11:26:34 pm »
gundam wing mostly i had seen some before that but that one really hooked me

i belive there is a really awful game based off of samurai 7 dont remeber what it was called but it had 2 kids rapping very badly in it

Offline tarock

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2004, 01:05:03 pm »
Well for me it started back when they were airing the zelda anime in the late 80's or early 90's  I forgot when exactly it aired.  
I loved that anime.
then they wer eplaying mega man.  I am a diehard fan of megaman.  
Finally ronin warriors was air on Tv during the summer in 1995 if I am correct.  ummm yeah 95.  so that is when I started to get into anime.  from there I watched toonami whenever I was visited my mom in flroida,  rented anime movies whenever I could.

tarock

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2004, 02:02:14 pm »
Well if memory serves me well, I'd have to say the first anime (which I realized was anime) I've seen would be Sailor Moon.  After that there was kinda of a "hmm, I wonder what that series is like" with Toonami.  What may have pushed me over the edge into Anime was a video store that had a few old tapes of Anime which included Slayers Next.  It was the tape with the "Forbidden Dance" episode.  Oddly enough that store hasn't updated their Anime selection since Cardcaptor Sakura #1 came out.

And for the person who mentioned the Legend of Zelda cartoon, I actually have a tape recording of several episodes of that as well as one or two episodes of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show (I think it was from the 80s).  I can't remember the last time I watched it though.  I just remember they gave Link a personality like Steve Martin.  (Seriously, one of his catch phrases was "Well excuu~~~se me, Princess."  Ahh, going down memory lane....

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 03:27:36 pm »
The Legend of Zelda Saturday morning cartoon wasn't anime. In fact, it was also pretty bad. But I don't begrudge anyone for watching it, because I did too, and loved it just because it was Zelda. Only it was on really dang early in the morning... Part of the reason I liked it was no doubt because I was in no condition to judge anything at around 6am, even in grade school. ;)

Also, I think it was in the late 80s. Around '88, I'd estimate. Maybe later.

Apollo Justice

Offline tarock

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 06:09:39 pm »
-gasp-
you mean zelda was not anime.  man I thought it was this whole time
Tell me mega man was anime.

tarock

Offline gshock99

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 08:59:01 pm »
i grew up in japan for half my life so i grew up with anime.  it's been in my life as long as i can remember

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 04:04:26 am »
Quote from: "tarock"
-gasp-
you mean zelda was not anime.  man I thought it was this whole time
Tell me mega man was anime.

tarock

I dunno, that's a bit recent for me. I watched part of one episode when I was stuck at my grandparents house for the day... I was in my teens at the time.

I think it's anime, but I'm not really sure. If it's not anime, then thank god they finally came out with something American that represents Megaman properly. Captain N was a travesty.

Apollo Justice

Offline omniwarrior

• Sailor Scout
    • http://omniwarrior.tripod.com/
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2004, 09:31:34 pm »
Armitage was my first taste... Mmmm then it moved on from there and now all I can say about women is this...

There is nothing finer than a sword weilding babe in battle armor...
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me...so tie me up and throw me down and show me that you like me...

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 07:31:06 am »
Well if you count Robotech as close enough, then Robotech was my first anime! In fact, when I was around 3 or 4 my mom would watch soap operas then I would watch cartoons. Robotech was the compromise we both watched:P

I have always been into fantasy and sci fi so have watched adult animations all my life, seeing the periodic anime such as Akira and whatnot though not realizing what was from japan. Back in '98 my friend and I came across Blockbuster's measily anime collections, and began our Anime Weekends. $10, 10 Animes, 0 Hours Sleep.

We also quickly learned the lesson of viewing anime before watching them with younger siblings. We made the mistake of starting up BioHunter in front of my friend's 12 year old brother and 12 year old friend. Jaws to floor!
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2004, 01:31:10 pm »
Long ago, back when I lived in Beaverton, a Japanese family moved in next door. They're kids had some raw DBZ on tapes, and I saw one of the first movies raw. That was about ten years ago. Been hooked ever since and watched as much anime as I could. I have also read as much Manga as possible.

I'v seen so much, its crazy.

I am currently hooked on Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, and Prince Of Tennis.

For manga, I read Bastard!!, Great Teacher Onizuka, Naruto, and One Piece.

So many anime and manga's, so little time.  :D

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2004, 10:44:57 pm »
The titles you mentioned above is great. Yeah, there is never enough time to get exposed to anime with only little time to spend on them.
*wishes day was 48 hours long*
-A.I-

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 08:11:58 pm »
Wow... I was a huge fan of Unico and Transformers when I was about five and I had no idea they were anime until sixth grade and this guy in my class told me about Sailor Moon. I didn't actually get into it until I was sixteen. My brothers introduced me to Gundam Wing and it kinda took off from there.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline omniwarrior

• Sailor Scout
    • http://omniwarrior.tripod.com/
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 10:20:50 pm »
You know there are so many newbies out there. I wonder how many animes and which ones someone would have to watch to be considered well versed heh heh. I mean I have an awesome collection, but it seems that there is always some big one I have never heard of. I would list them but I am worried that I might crash the forum heh heh. The bad part is I keep downloading them and saving them to DVD but I don'y really get much time to watch them. I am so busy with a new project in the shop, or a list of projects come at me all at once...
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me...so tie me up and throw me down and show me that you like me...

Offline Sushi_Glomper

• Cabbit
    • http://www.geocities.com/sushiglomper
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 01:20:12 pm »
Sailro Moon got me started but my first anime anime, was The wrath of the Ninja.   AT first I was really scarred by the blood and flying decapitated heads...but then I later foudn myself wanting to watch it again.
<3 Sushi G

Offline arc_knight

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 02:47:50 pm »
lets see mine was chrono trigger... i really like the art in the instruction booklet... problem is it was a video game not an anime... oh well

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
Classic movies
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 03:28:28 pm »
Well when I was a wee lass back in the day, I remember my brother-inlaw always watching some stuff like Akira, Aeon Flux, Jin-Rô , Waga seishun no Arcadia, & also The 1975 rendition of The Little mermaid also by Tomoharu Katsumata and other similar animes. Mainly they were a bit too rated high for me at the time but I think if anything got me hooked it was a movie known as Green Legend Ran by Satoshi Saga in 1992. This is what snagged me i've seen more times than can be counted. I will admit actually didn't expand my anime interests untill I watched childhood favs like: Digimon, Tenkû no shiro Rapyuta, Majo no takkyubin, Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro, ect. And I eventually matured into things like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Kôkaku kidôtai (aka Ghost in the shell) Blue Gender, 3x3 Eyes, and others. I think I inevatibitily would have ended up loving anime at somepoint in my life but I really can thank GLR & Ran for my true obsession today.
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...

Offline gshock99

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 07:00:24 pm »
Quote from: "Sushi_Glomper"
Sailro Moon got me started but my first anime anime, was The wrath of the Ninja.   AT first I was really scarred by the blood and flying decapitated heads...but then I later foudn myself wanting to watch it again.

bon!! XD

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 07:22:15 pm »
From my cousin, Robert:

I got into anime when I watched one of the Tenchi Muyo movies on Sci-Fi channel one night. I got into more when my cousin let me watch alot of his collection.

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 11:31:38 pm »
Well, let's see, I used to watch "Saint Saiya" when I started in Elementary school, and I read Doreamon Manga at that time too.  Then about 6 years ago, I got into reading Manga magazines, I remember reading Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z and such(It must've been Shonen Jump, I didn't realize that before).  Three years ago, I started watching Inuyasha anime, that's when I really got into anime.  This is my story.

Offline celticangel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2004, 01:28:35 pm »
I've been watching anime since I can remember. I just didn't know it was anime, 'cause it snuck in among my normal cartoons as a kid. I watched Toonami and all that. But I didn't get hooked until one day a friend invited me to the local anime club thing. There I met a bunch of anime-lovin' friends and...here I am today.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 02:58:01 am »
I remember watching Voltron when I was like... 3 or 4.
I had a huge grudge against Robotech when I was little because I think it took Voltron's timeslot. When I was older I had a grudge against Robotech for killing Roy Fokker, he was the Biggs Darklighter of anime.

Star Wars was my big thing in fandom though, that's why I'm Tom the Fanboy and not Otaku no Tomu.

Another of the shows I now know was anime was the Mysterious Cities of Gold. Which is really hard to talk to people about since not many people saw it back then.

There was another cartoon that I knew was foreign but had a different art style than Japanese animation. It was Spartacus (and the hidden world?) and I found out awhile ago that it was French!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 12:59:50 pm »
I think I remember that Cities of gold show, jog my memory a lilttle about the premise of the show.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2004, 01:44:02 pm »
Uhhh..... Cities of gold was about three kids.
One is a coming-of-age bopy from an Incan village, one is a native girl kidnapped by Spainiards, and the other is a kid who grew up alone on an island.

They are searching for the Lost City of Gold to use the power there to save their village/home. The Spainiards are villains but it turns out that the Cities of Gold are really sought out by aliens who want to use their power to conquer the world. The show might have been done by the same people as the studio behind Belle and Sebastian, they were out around the same time.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 01:46:10 pm »
Uhhh..... Cities of gold was about three kids.
One is a coming-of-age bopy from an Incan village, one is a native girl kidnapped by Spainiards, and the other is a kid who grew up alone on an island.

They are searching for the Lost City of Gold to use the power there to save their village/home. The Spainiards are villains but it turns out that the Cities of Gold are really sought out by aliens who want to use their power to conquer the world. The show might have been done by the same people as the studio behind Belle and Sebastian, they were out around the same time.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 07:49:27 am »
Did the kids at some point get a big mechanical  gold bird? A falcon or eagle type?
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline gshock99

• Cabbit
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2004, 02:45:58 pm »
Quote from: "BigGuy"
Did the kids at some point get a big mechanical  gold bird? A falcon or eagle type?

yes