Author Topic: Used Manga  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
Used Manga
« on: August 02, 2004, 09:42:17 am »
Hi!
   I, and most likely everyone else going to kumoricon, like manga. The problem is is that I really hate paying fifteen bucks for a paperback comic. Think about it! You can buy three paperback fiction books, that each have three times more pages than one manga, for fifteen dollars. I know this is probably because it cost lots of money to translate manga from Japanese to English, and for some reason they charge an arma nd a leg for american comics too. Anyways, to make a short story even longer, does anyone know any really good used manga stores in the greater Salem/Portland area? Powells, in Portland, has some, but its not usually used. I have bought manga off of borders/amazon.com but then you have to pay shipping (which probably has been worked in but not listed with the actual purchasing price), and I dont have a credit card and my mom doesnt like to give out her numbers to just anyone, so I have to find someone that lives one or two states away and send them a check, which then takes forever to process, and then.....well you get the picture. So I was just wondering, does anyone know something I dont?  :D
Bunny_mae
~I'm Addicted to Chocolate, I used to Snort Cocoa~

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Used Manga
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:24:38 am »
Go to Half Priced Books, or some other used book store, and you can buy used manga really cheap there. ^.^

Not the greatest of selections, and sometimes you'll have to settle for the Japanese editions, but hey, its' manga. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Used Manga
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 02:53:03 pm »
I know of a used bookstore in Aloha, but I don't think they sell manga. But, there is a BookSale going on in Tanasbourne where KB Toys used to be.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
Used Manga
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:23:17 am »
OK! Thank you very much Princess Frodo and Kei Kei!

Bunny_mae

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
Used Manga
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:06:58 am »
You might also check out Powells City of Books in Portland. They have a little manga/comic section there, and I know that they also take used books. I don't know about their pricing because I haven't been there since I got interested in it, but there's a good chance you'll find at least one thing in there that's used for a decent price.

It's located where all of the Sci-fi/Fantasy books are. ;)
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Used Manga
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:51:26 pm »
online: check campusi.com it searches all of the other sites... hmm, as for local shops I have gotten manga used at the Book Bin in Salem (right downtown on... uhmm court?) before. It's kind of hit and miss, but I've even gotten some killer deals (like $2/ea) on imports and stuff like that. Good luck!

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
Used Manga
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 11:44:08 pm »
Kinokuniya is the best place for manga PERIOD. it may not be used, but its a sure shot at WHATEVER YOU WANT. seriously, they have everything. i bought naruto 1-6, dragon quest this and that, the book Hagakure (very good btw) and Bushido. the english manga is a little spendy, like 7 bucks. but if you want cheap manga, you'll have to opt for the japanese versions. kino is in the back of uwajimaya (the best and only[IMO] place for pocky and cricket cola) in beaverton. i drive 80 miles to get there whenever i want manga and stuff.

try the gentlemen's pocky. trust me.
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Used Manga
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 01:34:24 pm »
If you want to buy from the internet (which is really the best bet in my opinion), I always buy my stuff from http://www.animecornerstore.com/index.html

Thats a great store, I'v been shopping with them for around three and a half years now. Great prices, fast service, and I have never had a problem with them.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Used Manga
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 04:46:42 pm »
I agree... Robert's (Anime Corner Store) is the bomb. I've gotten things like two days after putting in the order, and that was the standard shipping service! They also manage to get different DVDs and mangas before other retailers. The only thing is they can be a little more expensive sometimes, though it's well worth it. You should also try Anime Nation for preorders since you get 25% off if you order so many days before the release date. I've never had problems w/orders from them either.

Offline Kay-Skay

• Cabbit
    • http://
Used Manga
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 07:43:45 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
Go to Half Priced Books, or some other used book store, and you can buy used manga really cheap there. ^.^

I haven't heard of that store where is it located?

Powells does somtimes have used manga but they don't like to by it because they don't think it sells very well and when they do buy it they will only give you like $2 for it though they are going to mark it up to $7 or so.  They do however have a pretty big section of untranslated ones that are all about $2 each but it's bigtime hit or miss because as far as I could tell weren't in any particular order.

If you join a book buyer's club like the one at Barnes and Noble you'll get 10% off everyone that you buy but you have to pay $25 to start but if you think about it; that's 25 or less mangas and if you read or get other stuff too well you can spend the $250 that make it worth while pretty fast but that's only if you go to Barnes and Noble and I've noticed that they don't really always have the greatest in-store selection.  The last I checked their net site won't allow you to check any particular store's inventory or reserve books for in-store pick-up, you have to buy it.  For in-store pick-up you have to go to the store in which case you have to deal with them trying to find it eventhough you already know it's not there because you've already looked in the 3 or 4 different places that they hide the manga.  Then of course having to spell it title for them because it just sounds too wierd is always fun.

Now I've also heard from a friend that Things from Another World has some deals where you commit to spending a certain amount a month and then you get 20% off.  They don't just sell manga though you can also get you're magazine subs, figurines, and other stuff through them but I think that the commitment is $100 a month to get a box.  So that one just kinda depends on how much you're willing to spend and I keep meaning to check it out for my self but I just haven't done it yet.
I am a cloudy sky in which shafts of brilliance pirce through to momentarily illuminate the earth.
KLM

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
Used Manga
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 12:57:11 pm »
Thanks everybody for you help! Now I know where to find manga!
Bunny_Mae