Author Topic: Is anyone -not- cosplaying?  (Read 9783 times)

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
Is anyone -not- cosplaying?
« on: August 05, 2004, 05:58:37 am »
I thought about it, but finally decided not to bother.  I'm actually going to bring my camcorder and spend as much time as I can documenting the event instead.  Hopefully I can get some webspace and post my pseudo-documentary in late September.  Haha.

But yeah, anyone else skipping out on dressing up as a cartoon character?  I'm worried that I'll look out of place in my street clothes. :P

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 08:14:10 am »
*Jumps up and down waving hands amonst the costumed group* Right here!

I may at a later con, but... ah, not right now. :p
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:43:03 am »
You're going to make a documentary out of this!? O.o

Remember to interview me, the crazy girl that never shows up on film and puts in too much time on duty! ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 10:56:33 am »
i dont plan to play dressup
but i will take plenty of pics
maybe try a whole roll on frodo maybe then shell show up lol

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 05:24:37 pm »
^^ Some people in my group arn't cosplaying. We might end up giving them cat ears / tail / skirt (for the dude >.> Guys in skirts are hot.) But you won't be totally alone! ^.^
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 05:58:53 am »
*Remembers to wear a kilt* I don't know if I could stomach wearing a girl's skirt out in public. =P

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 11:17:35 am »
It's only a kilt if you have a claymore to back it up. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 12:08:39 pm »
ive been put in cosplay out of my own will ^^;;; if you really wanted i guess i could put on a skirt or something... as long as i have some sort of stockings to cover my hair >.>
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 12:09:26 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

i sell claymores >.>
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 01:26:24 pm »

Yes, well the claymore shall remain sheathed. ;) Sorry. :P

Offline Zell

• Cabbit
Re: Is anyone -not- cosplaying?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 12:36:09 am »
Quote from: "Fade"
I thought about it, but finally decided not to bother.  I'm actually going to bring my camcorder and spend as much time as I can documenting the event instead.  Hopefully I can get some webspace and post my pseudo-documentary in late September.  Haha.

But yeah, anyone else skipping out on dressing up as a cartoon character?  I'm worried that I'll look out of place in my street clothes. :P

Okay Okay.....Not dressing up for a Cosplay convention....no problem do what you want.

BUT CALLING ANIME A CARTOON!!!!!???
THIS IS PUNISHIBLE BY DEATH!!!!!!

Come Asuma!!!! We Must Vanquish The UNWORTHY!!!!!!!!
<Li>My #1 result for the SelectSmart.com selector, <a href="http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=narutoquiz">Naruto Personality Test</A>, is Lee<P>

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 12:38:56 am »
To arms!!!!!!

destroy the heathen!!!! the infidel!!!!!!

no one wants to dress up as a cartoon character.
thats why we are dressing like anime characters :wink:

feel free to come tho - i'll know who to throw shuriken at...
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 08:23:27 am »
Uh-huh.  I can add this stuff to my movie.

This just in: Anime apparently turns people into obsessed fanboys/girls who think that Japanese cartoons have somehow transcended the normal limits of animation and reality into something that is, in fact, not a cartoon at all!  Oh the humanity!

No worries, I'll be sure to interview you guys about what makes anime so different. :)

Offline tarock

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 12:30:49 pm »
-Gasp-  8O
Fade you are uttering blasphemies.
im speechless.
We dont refer to anime as catroons ever.  To do so will call the rather of anime lovers everywhere upon you.  you poor sod you.

NO seriously though.  Cartoon is the western word for the animated films seen usually on video and TV.  
(please corect me if I am wrong)  
anime is an eastern word for animated films seen usually on video and TV.  
You will find if you take a good look at anime and cartoons there are huge differences between the two.  
anime has a different art style, has different plots,  is usually presented differently (cartoons are mainly aimed at younger kids, anime on the other hand is not mainly aimed at any age group)  There are many differences between the two of which makes anime and cartoons completely different.  
I would go on listing different cartoons and anime and the differences between the two but that would be a long post.

Hoipefully I am not wrong or partially wrong and have not made an idoit out of myself.  
nice to know not everyoen is going to cosplay.  I thought almost everyone would be.  but I have never been to an anime convention so I dont know what to expect. (please please no cat girls)

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 03:06:37 pm »
Actually, anime is a word the Japanese adopted from, you guessed it, English; a shortened form of 'animation' specifically.  Just like 'terebi' is the word for television.  Do you guys get offended when someone calls a Mitsubishi TV a television instead of a terebi? :)

Interesting to note is the fact that, while American anime fans obviously consider 'anime' to represent Japanese animation, the Japanese use the term 'anime' to include all animation--yes, including American cartoons.

But joking aside, I do understand the differentiation, and obviously, as I'm coming to this con I can assure you that I like a lot of Japanese anime much more than American cartoons.  Still, generalizing the theme and art-style differences between Western and Eastern animation does not make one a cartoon and one...something else?

I suppose I'll draw more fire for this, but that's all right.  Just nobody take me too seriously. :)

Offline tarock

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 06:19:25 pm »
Nahhhh Fade you wont draw more fire. Fire not good.  It tends to be a bit hot and it burns.

I think that is a good point.  
In my american biased mind I establish difference from cartoon and anime based off of art style, and otehr stuff like that.

but hey I think that is interesting that the japanese see all animatoin as anime.  I think ill adopt that type of thinking from now on.

tar

Offline gshock99

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2004, 09:13:14 pm »
i won't be cosplaying...at least not this year.

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 05:36:25 am »
Japanese cartoons?! I thought this was going to be centered around the Ninja Turtles! What's wrong with you people? :P

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 07:36:03 am »
No cosplaying this time! I'm interested but I want to see how others do so since this is my first con and I would be embarassed. Neither is my friend who is coming along. Though if someone wants to donate cat ears I shall wear those. No skirts though, I have trouble shaving my face let alone my legs.
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 09:29:19 am »
Quote from: "Ronime"

i sell claymores >.>

do you sell ringmail/chainmail too? Or, do you know where to get the the stuff to make it?  like what kind of tools and what gauge of wire?
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007
I wanted everyone to survive the con.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 01:19:09 pm »
Nah, I ain't cosplaying. Mostly because its hard for us big guys to cosplay anyone. Not many big guys in anime. I was thinking of doing Akimichi Chouji, but....well, I ain't got the materials to do so at this time.

I'll probably just wear my most comfortable clothes and stuff and have as much fun as possible.  :D

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2004, 01:29:21 pm »
I'm considering it; I might fish out my old Terry Bogard costume from last year's SakuraCon. But I threw away the blonde wig so I'd have to find another one, heh.

I didn't cosplay this year because it was a slight hassle, but I realized that I missed the fun of people pointing and recognizing who I was. Something about that has made me realize I could easily get into this as a hobby. That and posing for cameras was fun. ;) Getting attention just for dressing up = good times.