Author Topic: Pre-contest angst  (Read 16712 times)

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
Pre-contest angst
« on: August 27, 2004, 06:37:47 pm »
This si the first time I have actually had fanfiction judged in any sort of contest. I have a lot fo stressors in my life --- running a game company does that -- but should I worry about the contest? I don't know what the judging is going to be absed on, but I have a terrible fear that ym entry is not good enough or the right kind of story for a contest.

I've al;ready had one person tell me "Your fanfic is a complete waste of time because fanfic is a complete waste of time". I've had people call me an idiot. In short, I have no self-confidence and am having trouble deciding if I should eve read exceprts at the bedtime Stories for fear of being jeered off the stage.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Pre-contest angst
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 09:25:32 pm »
No one will do that. And if they try, tell me and I'll beat them up.

Not really, but I'll make them leave. And I can be very forceful.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Pre-contest angst
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 11:17:57 pm »
no worries, michael. and BJ is definitely a good bodyguard :)

can't wait to meet you. drop by the beta station!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Re: Pre-contest angst
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 02:10:43 am »
Quote from: "Michael_Hopcroft"
I've al;ready had one person tell me "Your fanfic is a complete waste of time because fanfic is a complete waste of time". I've had people call me an idiot. In short, I have no self-confidence and am having trouble deciding if I should eve read exceprts at the bedtime Stories for fear of being jeered off the stage.

Sweetheart, every fic ever written is going to have at least someone look at it and think, "That story is a waste of time."

There are people who believe that fanfiction is useless, that anime is useless, that science fiction and fantasy are useless, that fiction in general is useless.  They can all go boil their heads in a nice fish stew as far as I'm concerned.  I love what I do, I enjoy writing--whether it be fanfic or original work--and in the end, what matters isn't whether I win or lose, or whose approval I win or lose, but how I play the game.  It's cliche, but it's true.

In other words, enter the contests!  Post online!  Share your stories with the world, and ignore those who are close-minded and stuffy and tell you your hobby is dumb!  And definitely bring your stuff to the bedtime stories; I'm in charge there, and if anyone starts jeering, I will have them ejected from the room.  This is bedtime, not MST3K.

(However, don't ignore good constructive criticism.  Too many people confuse "Fanfic Power!" for "My critically flawed fic is more precious than diamonds and above all criticism!"  It takes time to learn to differentiate, but stick with it and strike a balance.  Here's a clue, though; if their problem is with something (or things) specific in the story, it's probably concrit and good to listen to.  If they're blindly bashing the story in general or making personal attacks on you yourself, they're a flamer.  Ignore them.)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
Re: Pre-contest angst
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 12:38:42 am »
Quote from: "FilkAeris"
Quote from: "Michael_Hopcroft"

Sweetheart, every fic ever written is going to have at least someone look at it and think, "That story is a waste of time."

There are people who believe that fanfiction is useless, that anime is useless, that science fiction and fantasy are useless, that fiction in general is useless.  They can all go boil their heads in a nice fish stew as far as I'm concerned.  I love what I do, I enjoy writing--whether it be fanfic or original work--and in the end, what matters isn't whether I win or lose, or whose approval I win or lose, but how I play the game.  It's cliche, but it's true.

In other words, enter the contests!  Post online!  Share your stories with the world, and ignore those who are close-minded and stuffy and tell you your hobby is dumb!  And definitely bring your stuff to the bedtime stories; I'm in charge there, and if anyone starts jeering, I will have them ejected from the room.  This is bedtime, not MST3K.

(However, don't ignore good constructive criticism.  Too many people confuse "Fanfic Power!" for "My critically flawed fic is more precious than diamonds and above all criticism!"  It takes time to learn to differentiate, but stick with it and strike a balance.  Here's a clue, though; if their problem is with something (or things) specific in the story, it's probably concrit and good to listen to.  If they're blindly bashing the story in general or making personal attacks on you yourself, they're a flamer.  Ignore them.)

I had a Teen Titans fanfic I did once flamed for using the script format. My fanwork mailing list had been spammed, and the script was my response to being spammed over and over again. I had people saying after I wrote that that I didn;t have the intellect of a kidergartener. If you look at ym handwriting, you;d agree with that statement.

By the way, last night I started writing in the sub-universe of Slayers Inheritance again. So i guess I haven;t given up on the story entirely. But Rem is probably going to have all sorts of things to say about it after the con. I just hope they're nice things. I don;t care about a prize -- just getting attention in a friendly environment towards fanfic will be enough.

Finally, i feel greatly ashamed to admit to this, but I have a story on my hard drive I haven;lt shown anybody yet. I think you can guess why not. i feel bad about getting the urge to write stories like that, even though I do try very hard to keep everyone in character. Nothing burns me more than people who mistake writing fanfiction for indulging their sexual fantasies by putting anime characters in situations they would never willingly place themselves in.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Pre-contest angst
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 08:44:03 pm »
filkaeris: great post! thanks!

michael: there is no shame in writing stories for your own entertainment. not everything you write has to be for the public eye. however, what you do want to share, we want to read and hear!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).