Author Topic: High School Anime Club - Need Help... >.>  (Read 9484 times)

Offline YokoBM

• Oni
High School Anime Club - Need Help... >.>
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:42:49 pm »
So a friend and I have started an anime club at our school this year. The main thing that we do is view but the problem is that we lack variety in what we are viewing.

Can anybody recommend anything? The only parameters that we have are 1)No Nudity and 2) Limited Profanity (if it can't be said in a PG-13 movie, it can't be said here). Those are there for obvious reasons.

It doesn't really matter what you recommend so long  as it follows the above guidelines. As far as variety goes... I'm sure that if people reply to this there will be enough variety between all the post for us to pick and choose and be okay.

Edit:
Oh, and violence is pretty much okay so long as it isn't too excessive.
And God said, "Let there be Anime." And it was good.

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:52:23 pm »
The things you stumble upon.

I recommend;

Ouran High School Host Club - Good comedy, excelent parody.

Gunbuster - Classic robot sci-fi. Gainax. You might have to watch out for nudity though. (The not-so-sequel-sequel DieBuster is also good).

Outlaw Star - Good starter anime. Pretty clean as well.

Well, those are three that I would show if I ran a club...
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:59 pm »
- studio ghibli movies, like spirited away and howl's moving castle.
- azumanga daioh
- card captor sakura?
- fruits basket

...is violence okay?[/u]

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:50:26 pm »
uhm there is one episode of out law star you cant show tho..
i would recomend tri gun
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 01:57:39 pm »
The Melancholy of of Haruhi Suzumiya.  It's a great comedy-semi drama about a high school club.  It fits all of the parameters, and is just freaking awesome.

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex.  The Japanese version didn't have any major swearing, but I think the American translation did.  I'm not sure.

Gunslinger Girl.  A great little series about young girls who have become assassins.  There's no nudity or swearing, but there is some violence, though never over the top.  I think it's got a teen rating for the violence, I'm not sure.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:20:02 pm »
Metropolis (movie)

Escaflowne (some blood but not buckets of blood.  Possibly some minor swearing but nothing big.)

Kare Kano - Another High School Comedy/Drama but not as out there as Haruhi Suzymiya.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 11:03:42 pm »
Here are some of my all-time favorites:

Witch Hunter Robin (I don't think the violence was too bad)
Wolf's Rain (Violence, but I'm not sure how bad since I haven't seen it in awhile)
El Hazard (oldie but goodie)
Fushigi Yugi (another oldie but goodie)
Yamato Nadishiko Shichi Henge (like a very twisted version of Ouran High School Host Club - but is only available through fansubs atm)
Cowboy Bebop (Don't think there was much swearing, but I could be wrong)
Vandread (just too funny... male against female sci-fi series)
Alien 9 (weird sci-fi/school series. very interesting)
Full Metal Panic! / Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Twelve Kingdoms (based on actual japan novels)

I could go on and on, but will won't. ^.^

Offline YokoBM

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 09:53:51 pm »
Thanks for all your help guys. We're constantly looking for new things to show. The majority of the people who come to our meetings aren't very die hard fans so we're trying to expose them to as much as possible (or at least as much as we can show in a school setting).

violence is okay so long as it isn't too excessive. Language, again, if it can't be said in a PG-13 movie then it can't be said in our anime. PG-13 leaves room for a lot.

All the series that people have posted so far are great. Nothing that conflicts yet. Keeping posting your ideas, and thanks a bunch.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 10:11:45 pm »
angelic layer
naruto(though most have seen this)
inuyasha (though most have seen this)
Full Metal Alchemist (though most have seen this)
Sailor Moon (yay girls in fukus)
I agree with Fushigi Yuugi... pick it up and watch it...

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:51:26 pm »
Saber Marionette J
Ninja Girl Jubei Chan and the Mystery of the Lovely Eye Patch (its a hoot)
Knight Hunters.
Sorcerer Hunters
Chromartie High School
Saiyuki
Chrono Crusade
Samurai 7
Peace Maker

Those are all pretty good

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:05:21 pm »
Gundam Wing
Slayers
Weiss Kreuz (About assassins, but no blood)
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Code Geese (Another CLAMP)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 11:54:26 pm »
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Princess Princess
Death Note
Comic Party

All wonderful (slightly 'new') series to watch. Princess Princess would be an excellent one to show at the club as long as you don't mind cross-dressing : D
Sweet Times

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 10:34:49 am »
Quote from: "The Night Bringer"

Saiyuki

I soooo wanted to mention Saiyuki because it's one of my favs, but the language is really bad at times (but I wouldn't have it any other way! lol!). So I highly recommend it, but if it has to be in a PG-13 environment, you might want to watch it in Japanese - where the language is still mighty bad, but the subtitles go a bit easier things, hehe.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 04:00:35 pm »
Haha, yeah. I forgot about the language thing. I usualy forget that little factor.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 06:17:57 pm »
Me too, hehe.

Honestly though, they wouldn't be the Sanzo Party we know and love if they didn't all have potty-mouths. ^.^

Offline guenthar

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 07:13:48 pm »
My list off the top of my head

Blood+
Mar
Night Head Genesis
The Third
Red Garden
Busou Renkin
Asatte no Houkou
Pumpkin Scissors
Soukou no Strain
Black Blood Brothers
D Gray Man
Kiba
Saikano (depressing)
Zegapain
Welcome to NHK (you should see this one)
Eyeshield 21
Glass Mask
The Snow Queen
Muteki Kanban Musume
Cluster Edge
Giniro no Kami no Agito (movie)
Uninhabited Survive
Shakugan no Shsna

I might post others later
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 09:21:42 pm »
Eureka seveN (good mecha anime really sweet love story, awesome fight scenes)
Ouran Host club is just the best.
Death Note is good, but it's kinda dark sometimes.
NEGIMA!
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 10:13:42 pm »
Quote from: "guenthar"

Welcome to NHK (you should see this one)

I disagree. While NHK is one of the best series being released right now, several episodes have far too much fan-service for a school club (for example, several of the nun scenes in the first episode).

The rest of your list is superb.

Offline guenthar

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 10:56:22 pm »
That would still get a pg-13 equivalent rating here in the US and there isn't any nudity or excessive violence so would be counted in that list.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 02:50:11 am »
Oh! A fantastic one that fits your criteria is Rune Soldier. I adore that one.

Offline Brack

• Cabbit
Re: High School Anime Club - Need Help... >.>
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 06:24:36 am »
"1)No Nudity and 2) Limited Profanity (if it can't be said in a PG-13 movie, it can't be said here)"

"Oh, and violence is pretty much okay so long as it isn't too excessive."

You fail miserably at making an anime club if you keep these rules. If you don't have these two, you are providing the bastardization in Americanization of anime through censorship. Anime is supposed to and always has been raw. If you expose people to anime without those elements, then they haven't seen anime all the way. And besides, you're trying to get people from the outside who haven't seen anime to join in, right? You don't want to throw them in and when they finally see uncut versions of the show, they'll totally be turned off by it because it isn't what they expected.

Throw freaking anime parties at people's houses. I'm sure many people you know have rich parents who buy their kids manga and anime DVDs, and there's hundreds of high school kids who have downloaded millions of anime torrents off the internet. I'm very sure if you keep running an anime club at your high school, your attendance will be pretty close to zero.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 07:01:02 am »
Quote from: "Brack"
"1)No Nudity and 2) Limited Profanity (if it can't be said in a PG-13 movie, it can't be said here)"

You fail miserably at making an anime club if you keep these rules. If you don't have these two, you are providing the bastardization in Americanization of anime through censorship. Anime is supposed to and always has been raw. If you expose people to anime without those elements, then they haven't seen anime all the way. And besides, you're trying to get people from the outside who haven't seen anime to join in, right? You don't want to throw them in and when they finally see uncut versions of the show, they'll totally be turned off by it because it isn't what they expected.

Throw freaking anime parties at people's houses. I'm sure many people you know have rich parents who buy their kids manga and anime DVDs, and there's hundreds of high school kids who have downloaded millions of anime torrents off the internet. I'm very sure if you keep running an anime club at your high school, your attendance will be pretty close to zero.

Most anime doesn't have nudity in it. And from the posts already made here it's obvious there are an exceedingly quantity of excellent series that already fall into the catagory they need.

Out of the all the anime I have either heard of/and/or seen few quality anime series would be unexceptable. I am not attacking you or your post, but they have a lot of good stuff to watch under the guidelines they must follow being a school club and all. Certainly there's anime that's been edited for U.S. viewers, but a lot lately (stuff that isn't being shown on 4kidstv, or cartoon network) are not. If you look at what's coming out of Japan now that you can get via torrent/DVD, most do not contain nudity and have limited profanity.  Out of what has been listed in this post as suggestions, I'm not sure which ones you are talking about being drastically changed/censored.

Edited for grammer

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 09:12:24 pm »
Quote from: "Brack"

Now, I'm going to assume you aren't a member of the club YokoBM is vice-president of. I'm going to assume you're not a student at the school he attends either. I'd like to know how you can say he is failing, without even seeing what he is doing.

In a school setting, you're not allowed to just show whatever you fancy and not feel any backlash for breaking the rules. You can't just show something like Ninja Scroll and expect no administrator or teacher to care about a rape scene here or there. Sure, some of the great anime series out there have nudity or swearing in them, but some is not all.

For the past 12 weeks YokoBM and I have ran the club this thread refers to quiet well, with are member count to proves it. We've shown great shows that have fit inside the guide lines, which we established ourselves, so we could run a school-friendly club that would last.

It should be known we haven't shown anything censored either.

You are right that we can get around any and all rules by throwing a "freaking" anime party at a member's house. However, that would limit who could attend. As a club, we want anyone and everyone who wants to join in our activities. Holding a party would limit those who can't attend such events for one or another reason.

As an after thought, I counted our last attendance sign-in sheet. 23 excluding myself, YokoBM and our advisor. Not even close to 0.

Thanks for you opinion, we'll continue to fail just for you,

K.H previously-mentioned anime club Co-Founder and President

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:30 pm »
I am Switzerland!!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 11:18:36 pm »
when in doubt screen all anime first just to be safe....

Offline Linkhiei

• Cabbit
    • http://linkhiei.deviantart.com
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 11:29:33 pm »
Quote from: "Lit_of_Fey"
Eureka seveN (good mecha anime really sweet love story, awesome fight scenes)
Ouran Host club is just the best.
Death Note is good, but it's kinda dark sometimes.
NEGIMA!

totally agree

btw what high school?
Kumo 06: ME | Kumo 07: Itachi | Kumo 08: L | Kumo 09: Kaito | Kumo 10: Izaya | Kumo 11: Roy Mustang | Kumo 12: Axel

asdfstrawberries

Offline guenthar

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 11:37:09 pm »
I always screen anime that I am showing at any of the club events I am running the anime for. (but that is usually because I watch nearly everything that comes out)

PS.  The club I belong to is the Clark Anime and Japanese Club at Clark College.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 12:00:20 am »
Quote from: "guenthar"
I always screen anime that I am showing at any of the club events I am running the anime for. (but that is usually because I watch nearly everything that comes out)

PS.  The club I belong to is the Clark Anime and Japanese Club at Clark College.

Don't forget the new mascot for the Clark Anime and Japanese Club is Nekojawia
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Linkhiei

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 08:27:40 pm »
im in Parkrose High School anime club but theres not much to do >_>
Kumo 06: ME | Kumo 07: Itachi | Kumo 08: L | Kumo 09: Kaito | Kumo 10: Izaya | Kumo 11: Roy Mustang | Kumo 12: Axel

asdfstrawberries

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:33 pm »
our school (clackamas high) has an anime/manga club (which i'm the mascot of, for some reason or another).

here are some things we have watched so far:
- howl's moving castle
- princess mononoke
- spirited away (lots of miyazaki stuff)
- advent children
- endless waltz
- trigun

it'd be best to have your club vote for the kind of anime they want to watch - if you play one no one's interested in, it won't be good...

although we're not limited to just viewing, we do a lot of improv games. O_o the popular one being the anime dating game.

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 09:43:29 pm »
My school (pleasant Hill high school) has an anime club, but we're all pretty flakey, and so all we've gotten to watch is Advent Children (but we get to watch XXX-holic next!) it's super spiffy ^.^
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline anime_lover

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 10:35:20 pm »
Actually alot of the one's that are mentioned here are really bad. Oh..I suggest..
Pretear-Extremely innocent really good
Tsubasa Chronicle- Its all over a awsome anime and definetly pg-13
Chobits-Has some nudity but everything is coverd up. Though they do talk about wanting to download porn.
Spiral-detective anime there is killing but you dont see anything. People dont die very often I think...like 3 people die
Final Fantasy Advent Children-most people know this one its awsome. Definetly pg-13

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 11:52:30 pm »
If you are going to watch Advent Children, then for the love of the Gods, watch it in Japanese.

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 06:53:34 am »
Dilly Dally, Shilly Shally.

The problem with watching movies is the fact we would have to watch them in two parts, because our club time is limited by space availablity and the bus schedule.

However, I am thinking of showing Brave Story, because it can be conviently split into two parts.

If we were to show AC, which would be the best part to split it (to fit with two 1-hour meetings)?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 07:06:32 am »
Guys, I appreciate your patience with Brack, and I apologize for his behavior.
2008 Facilities Liaison

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 08:38:58 am »
Its happens.

Oh, man. A classic anime that is just a huge heart wrencher and beautifully done is the Grave of the Fireflies. Makes me cry every time. Thats an anime every one should see at least once.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 12:36:54 pm »
Its happens.

Oh, man. A classic anime that is just a huge heart wrencher and beautifully done is the Grave of the Fireflies. Makes me cry every time. Thats an anime every one should see at least once.

I was given that with the Studio Gibli colection 3 years ago x mas should I watch it
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Linkhiei

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 12:41:05 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"
Its happens.

I was given that with the Studio Gibli colection 3 years ago x mas should I watch it
yes u should its really good

xD it made me sad

asdfstrawberries

Offline YokoBM

• Oni
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 08:11:07 pm »
Grave of a Fireflies is a must see for anybody.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 10:09:14 pm »
Natch. I would argue Grave of the Fireflies is a must-avoid. At all costs. I just didn't find any reason to appreciate it.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:59 pm »
I agree with guspasho.  I have some personal reasons that prevent me from apprecisating it fully.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 01:40:59 am »
May I inquire why?

Vondan: It was a beautifully orchistrated film taking you from the perspective of a boy and his sister living in the times of World War II who had no part in the war or polotics but were greatly affected by the poverty and the fire bombings and all the dirty stuff that happened. Its very little about War and more of the perspective of a nation in a losing war. I feel its a good perspective to look at the war with, not just only the "Gung-ho, america had every right to do everything that they did to those japanese bastards" Kind of idealisms I hear so often in social studies classes with unforgivably biased teachers. In short it is a must see. Even if you hate it or disagree with it, you should at the very least watch it.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 02:09:21 am »
I Know what’s it's about and have read reviews and people have talked about it. I have just not gotten around to watching them all yet.

I wonder if I may have seen a live action version sometime in the last 15 years at least 10 years back.   I was flipping the channels late at night and came across a movie that was in Japanese and it was just kids living in a bombed out and desolate area and all the adults were shot from the shoulders down.

The main character was a Japanese boy maybe 12 and another little boy about 8 and a 14 yeah old girl was in it for a bit.  I think the boys were starving and the girl gave them some rice  but the older boy beat the girl and threw the rice away I assume it was his sister and I think he thinks she did “Something” for the American soldiers for the rice and she runs away and the younger boy dies.

I shall IMDB to see if there was a live action version or if it references a similar movie.  Although come to think of it some once gave me a Manga that was in a similar situation a little boy living a the ruins of Hiroshima
Field Marshall Von Dan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:02 am »
Doesn't sound like the same movie to me at all. If it is thats a greatly altered storyline.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 02:30:47 am »
I just IMDB and the live action movie was in 2005 (and centered on the aunt) so what ever movie I saw was just similar in theme about kids surviving in japan right at the end of the war.  Of course if the original Book Grave of the Fireflys was a hit in 1968 when it came out it could have inspired knock offs.  Then again there were a million kids in the same situation to draw stories from
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2006, 08:07:55 am »
on a seprete note on
grave of the Fireflies
a week or so before thanksgiving chris and i were at borders looking at the anime section and theres this little old lady looking thru the the foren film section right next to it, she had trouble looking at the stuff at the bottom so i asked what ahe was looking for, grave of the Fireflies
we looked thru the anime sectioon for her but couldnt find it, she asked us if we got it often to which we didnt know as we don t work at borders, but it was so sweet seeing a little old lady looking for anime for herself, she had said she saw it the oher day and thought the animation was beautiful
i;ve nrver seen it tho

Offline guenthar

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006, 11:16:09 pm »
I think Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie and pretty depressing (close to Saikano kind of depressing) and should be watched.  Now that I know the live action version is centered around the aunt I will never watch it unless she dies a most horrible death in the end.