Author Topic: Dont wanna complain but I felt left out  (Read 7562 times)

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
Dont wanna complain but I felt left out
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:20:07 pm »
Yeah. I know this may sound like im complaining but when I went to kumoricon I felt left out. I mean no one talked to me. No one said anything about my costume or anything. So yeah. Are anime people usually like this because I thought their like mega social or something.
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 01:22:22 pm »
I am mega social while I am at the con, did you go up and talk to people at all? You have to remember that other people are shy go up and talk to them instead of waiting for them to go and talk to you. I am sorry if you felt left out but sometimes it happens hopefully next year this wont happen.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Re: Dont wanna complain but I felt left out
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:32:45 pm »
Quote from: "MikaRin375"
Are anime people usually like this because I thought their like mega social or something.

I highly doubt that.  A quick perusal of the "stalking" thread reveals that there are apparently a lot of people at these events seriously lacking in the normal social skills.  I wouldn't get too bothered by it though.  I didn't really talk to anyone there, and I atteded the con by myself, but I had a good time anyway.  I think finding people to hang out with in advance via these formus is a good idea.  

Incidentally, what was your costume?  I may have photographed you.

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:32:03 pm »
Not that many people talked to me or commented on my costume unless I walked up and talked to them first.

Unless you're one of those stand-out cosplayers, you can't really expect a lot of people to stop you for pictures.

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Ichiro (Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Possibly more...

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:25:08 pm »
yes, what was your costume?

i'm always tempted to talk to certain people, but i'm too shy. >x< uwah.
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:46:40 pm »
Quote from: "Sasu-kitty"
Not that many people talked to me or commented on my costume unless I walked up and talked to them first.

Unless you're one of those stand-out cosplayers, you can't really expect a lot of people to stop you for pictures.

I WOULD HAVE, but I didn't see you because I was in the random panel T.T...

Truthfully, I would have glomped you and freaked out... but... darn it.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:26:12 pm »
Mikarin! This reminds me when you were at the VERY FIRST Pocky Club meeting and no one gave you pocky. :( You gotta be more assertive, girl! -hugs- Just gather up your courage and talk to someone. xD We're all one HUGE, VERY dysfunctional family here. I was passing out slips for Pocky Club on Friday with Princess and it was sooo akward just walking up to someone and trying to strike up a conversation, but I think it's just the anticipation of not knowing how to approach someone? And I say this as a very very outgoing person. xD;

You should join back into Pocky Club. :)

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:49:11 pm »
awww im sorry!
no, if anything, anime people are friendlier than people you meet on the street, really. at my first con there were several people that came up to me and coplimented my costume. being my first con, i was kinda creeped out at first, but then i looked around and everyone was talking to everyone! so i got used to it. hope next year is better for ya! just tell me what your gonna dress up as next year and i'll come talk to ya!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 08:18:39 pm »
*we're all used to peeps around us not liking anime kumoricon is our space to breathe , remeber the people around you are there *for a RESON WE LOVE THIS STUFF TOO
LIKE I'M ONE TO TALK MY FIRST K-CON I WAS VERY SHY AND SElf concous of my pikachu costume and the link i made for my brother, you just need toi swallow you guts and try, complament a person on their costume did they make it themselves? an anime con is somthing you will have fun at if you want to if you dont try you wont
*here is what i typed before i went to use bathroom while there kendo boyfriend fixed my spellin ers...grrrgrrrGRRR *
ps no i didnt mean to have the cap locks on
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:32 am »
I hear you, about feeling shy and such. I didn't really make any new friends at the Con this year, because I was regretfully far too shy. There plenty people I feel I should have talked to, but I just never worked up the courage or did what it looks like many did and waited, hoping they would come talk to me. Eh, that doesn't work, heh. But, having a costume does help; I got tons of people coming up and talking to me about my costume, but I'm too slow a thinker to have striked up conversation with any of them. *hits self in head* A lesson for the N00b, I suppose.

But, yeah, we're all somewhat shy, I think. We just have to remember that (almost) everyone there is there for the same reason: We all love anime/manga, etc. and want to experience and share this great interest!

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself..." ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 02:06:33 pm »
I'm totally shy. It sucks! :( Once I get started though, I'm a pretty damn funny guy and a good conversationalist, if I do say so myself.

But yeah for the most part, people aren't going to talk to you unless you say something first. I tend to find that if I spend more than 30 seconds talking to someone at a convention, I end up thinking they're one of the most awesome people I've ever met in my life.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Brack

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 01:04:07 pm »
One word...

ALCOHOL

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 07:13:19 pm »
*drop kicks brack in the head*
YOU BAKA! don't you ever think that maby some of us are a little too young to drink???? besids.....alcohol is a lame excuse for making friends! and lame advise too!!!

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 07:17:30 pm »
I made friends at the con this year. Though I am one of those people that will randomly take pics of everybody and will talk to everybody. I am usually pretty shy but around my own kind I can be very social... In fact I was hugging alot of people.... ^_^ Maybe next year you can hang with me ^_^

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 10:12:42 pm »
*waves* I'm shy, as well heh. Though when you get to know me, I tend to act more sarcastic than quiet.... but I totally understand the whole awkward conversation thing. It's hard for me to just go up to random people and be all like HEY!!!!! But in cosplay, that doesn't seem AS bad because iunno... it's just... not for me. It gives me an excuse to act out-of-character and it's kinda nice! I hope that your exerience from last time won't keep you from not going again. Who knows? You just might make a few more friends online that you'll see at the con! That's always a nice experience~* hope to see you next year! ^__^
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Brack

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 01:03:56 pm »
Quote from: "corpsic beauty"
*drop kicks brack in the head*
YOU BAKA! don't you ever think that maby some of us are a little too young to drink???? besids.....alcohol is a lame excuse for making friends! and lame advise too!!!

You probably don't drink alcohol. But then again, neither do I. Instead, I rather INTAKE alcohol. Beer is disgusting.

Offline Briar

• Cabbit
Re: Dont wanna complain but I felt left out
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 01:31:23 pm »
Yeah, I know that even if I see someone that I really want ot talk to or get pictures of them, I won't unless someone else is.. Hehe... And I am normaly fairly outgoing too..

So yeah, don't feel bad!
If barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 04:52:40 pm »
Personally, before the con. I was about the weakest, shy person in the world, but now I'm more outgoing, not afriad of dancing, and okay with being freaky and having people stare at me and give me wierd looks. I even wear ninja gear to school sometimes now.

Ehh, well, I'm still kinda weak.

But I'm not so shy anymore because I was able to walk up to people and talk to them and not feel strange. In the line for pre-reg on the day before, I was talking to some people to pass the time, and said, "This is great, I'm surrounded by a bunch of anime freaks and it rocks." And one of the staff bellows, "YOU'RE SURROUNDED BY A BUNCH OF FREAKS?!?!?!" And instead of cringing and feeling embarassed, I replied, "YEAH! IT ROCKS MY SOCKS!!" And he just laughed, and laughed.

You have to come out of your shell a bit, once in awhile, even if it means moving away from your comfort-zone. Try it next year!

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 05:01:51 pm »
Omg! You were no-face! :DDD I remember sitting somewhere Sunday night and I took some gold from you and then gave it back...

That's all. XD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 05:03:48 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
Omg! You were no-face! :DDD I remember sitting somewhere Sunday night and I took some gold from you and then gave it back...

That's all. XD

Just for the record, you could have kept it. That's why I was handing it out.  :D  Next K-con, I'll give you another chance to take some, if you come.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 05:38:05 pm »
Quote from: "Raccon-Faced_Keruri"

That's all. XD

Just for the record, you could have kept it. That's why I was handing it out.  :D  Next K-con, I'll give you another chance to take some, if you come.

Course I'll be there! :) I'll look for you and I'll bring a little bag so I can treasure it FOREVAHHHH!!!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 07:26:04 pm »
Quote from: "Raccon-Faced_Keruri"

That's all. XD

Course I'll be there! :) I'll look for you and I'll bring a little bag so I can treasure it FOREVAHHHH!!!
Awesome. Hey, if you can find me as Kurama or Youko, I'll give ya a little rose, too.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 08:02:01 pm »
This thread is kind of funny, because it's more or less the opposite of how I am. Out in the "real world" (cons are their own world, you know) I'm one of the shyest people you'd ever meet. But at cons I have absolutely zero trouble walking up to a random person and striking up a conversation. Sure at first I'll be a tad bit nervous, but I've found that every con I go to I get better at it.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 08:41:45 pm »
Quote from: "Trumby"
This thread is kind of funny, because it's more or less the opposite of how I am. Out in the "real world" (cons are their own world, you know) I'm one of the shyest people you'd ever meet. But at cons I have absolutely zero trouble walking up to a random person and striking up a conversation. Sure at first I'll be a tad bit nervous, but I've found that every con I go to I get better at it.
My friend and I felt so at home there.  xD  It was crazy, I even decided to sing in front of people!  =o
That's a really big deal for me.  Trust me.

Ohoh,
that same friend and I are going to '07, and singing a duet.  x3
Just don't tell my parents.  =X  I absolutely can't sing in front of them.

Anyway, people at school think I'm pretty much a mute.  ^^;
Next year, I think I'll walk up to people/costumes I recognize.
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Brack

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 08:42:09 pm »
Really funny though... usually when I go to cons, people walk up to ME when I'm wandering around. I don't even have to be in cosplay, and they still talk to me^_^.

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 09:29:14 pm »
i also noticed something about cons. at my first con, i noticed that the atmosphere was different. it's like.....hard to explain but it's alot more comforting and welcoming than anything else in the "real world" (like trumby explained). i dunno, but it just seems like everyones in a better mood when they're at cons!

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 10:17:54 pm »

Same with me.

Hell, I was frightened to even talk to you for a while xD

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Ichiro (Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Possibly more...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 11:20:23 pm »
i also noticed something about cons. at my first con, i noticed that the atmosphere was different. it's like.....hard to explain but it's alot more comforting and welcoming than anything else in the "real world" (like trumby explained). i dunno, but it just seems like everyones in a better mood when they're at cons!

I agree. It's one of those, "these are my people," kind of feelings.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 01:01:25 pm »
Quote from: "Sasu-kitty"

Same with me.

Hell, I was frightened to even talk to you for a while xD

Man, I'm suprised I didn't scare you off! I was like tweaking the entire con, I swear! Guess that's what happens when you're switching meds/it's your first con. Yeah, sorry everyone I freaked out!

But I thought it was great. I'm actually more outgoing now than I was before the con. I'm also a lot more comfortable in my geekiness. XD My parents were actually thrilled that I found so many people (2,000+!) that are like me!

You just gotta take a risk and put yourself out there. I mean, most people at the con won't bite. There are the few, I'm sure, but that's when you smack 'em with a...well whatever's in reach. Even if it's just going up to compliment someone else on their costume, that's all it takes.

Also, it could be the vibes you're sending off. If you're feeling all negative and like "no one wants to talk to me" probably no one will. But if you turn it around, it works the other way too. Works in the real world just as well.
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 02:49:53 pm »
I only talked to maybe 10 people and they were 10 that I had exchanged messages on the forum or I sort of knew from the anime club in town years ago.  I was just busy and really most all the con goers were 10 or 15 year younger then me so I was not going to hang out all week end with anyone.  I’m also socially in adept not shy, unless it about dorkydorable ladies. I have no fear of walking into a room with a nut case throwing broken glass and chairs, but in five years all I have said to TNG (The Nerdy Girl) on the bus is "ahhhhhhh excuse me”.  At least once a month we magically run each other over going around corners then we run 50 feet away and stair at each other.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 04:22:46 pm »
vondan> it sounds like love. invite her to dinner or somthing to make up for all the times you've run into her/hit her/stuff.........

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »
vondan> it sounds like love. invite her to dinner or somthing to make up for all the times you've run into her/hit her/stuff.........

It's not gonna happin.  As perfect as she looks and she acts all dorky I once worked with her ex room mates mom and found somethings out about her.  The main problem being she cant hold a job for more then 3 weeks or suport herself.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 06:59:15 pm »
kumori 06 was my first con.
 Honestly, that was the most fun I've had in a long time because of the atmosphere and all the energy spinning around. everyone is exicted to be there and happy and the con goers really are a lot nicer than people in 'the real world.' they don't make fun of you so you don't feel you have to hide or anything and you can go crazy and they support you or join in....
...and run around the parking lot screaming "DARKNESS!"
....Or freak out over Axel playing tennis.
...Or ride lions in front of the hotel and smile innocently at other hotel guests who have no idea what's going on.
(oh man, good times^)
lots of people came up to me (I was Roxas) and asked if they could have a hug or get a picture and that made excited because you really feel like you are famous.

oh boy. I want to go back now. well, at least it's only 163 days till sakura-con...hahaha....*dies*
-Mikae