Author Topic: Kumoricon...in Washington?  (Read 25870 times)

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
Kumoricon...in Washington?
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:37:01 am »
My friend pointed out to me that next years Kumoricon(2007), is being held at the Vancouver convention center. In Washington. And that the site says that it's now the Portland-Vancouver Anime Con, instead of Oregons.
I hate to be a snot about this, but I thought Kumoricon was supposed to be for Oregon, and stay in Oregon too. How did it become another Washington con?
Also, prereg just having opened. Shouldn't there be a listing of how much it would cost anyways?

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:08:03 am »
Wow, I'm glad I held off on ordering my bus tickets until I officially knew the date of the Con, it would suck to have to end up in Portland for three days with nothing to do. :shock:
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53:49 am »
I really don't know how I'm gonna get to the convention next year. It was hard enough convincing my parents to let me go to Portland with my friends, but Washington? I really don't think my chances are that good already.  :(

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:41:16 am »
before everyone panics....

The convention is being held in the vancouver hilton convention center, just across the border.  The number 6 bus from downtown portland stops 1 block from the hotel.

if you had trouble getting to the red lion this year, think about this, the new hotel is about 5 miles up the road from there.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:01 am »
I was looking at the site and didn't the main theatre hold 1200 people? Is that enough room for the main events? (I'm just worried about all the people that didn't get into some of the main events because of space this past year). How big was the mainevents this past year?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:51:25 am »
this year the main events was capacity: 1300

We always had more then enuf room and never had to turn anyone away.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:51:11 am »
*sigh* we all expected someone would find reason to complain about this.

We are still Oregon's anime convention. But the best space available to us is in Vancouver. You are aware that this hotel is about a mile away from this year's hotel, right? Here are the directions from this year's hotel to next year's hotel

Those of you stuck on Tri-met, here's how you can get to the hotel: ride the number 6 north to the end of the line. It stops at the 7th Street Transit Center in Vancouver, a block away from the hotel. trimet.org will give you directions but even if you start where the number 6 starts it will advise you to get on the MAX and transfer at Lombard or Albina, which may save you a little time, but probably not.

Main events in 2006 was about 9000 square feet. This year we will have 14,000 square feet to play with. And also, we have the hotel all to ourselves for the whole weekend, including Monday, so there's no chance that the hotel will kick us out of our main events room, requiring us to shut down other events to fit into a space that only seated 600.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:56:31 am »
and dont forget to bring your oregon ID so you can go tax free while shopping in Washington.  When I visit realtives in seattle (When I cant get out of it) I save at least 30 cents a visit with my ID card.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:59:34 am »
Quote from: "kylite"
this year the main events was capacity: 1300

We always had more then enuf room and never had to turn anyone away.

Actually the layout of the main room at the Red Lion limited it to around 860, the Hilton's capacity makes more concession for a stage and fire aisles, so the 1200 is more accurate than the Red Lion's stated capacity.
~Sean Larson~

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:01:54 pm »
Don't expect everyone to honor the tax-free status. It's an optional benefit that some businesses offer but, AFAIK, aren't required to.

And I checked with EvilMonkey, our hotel/facilities liason and he said the Red Lion's capacity chart was wildly inaccurate because it didn't account for fire lanes and the stage, and we were only able to seat about 860 people. The Hilton does account for these in their counting, so I guess we must be getting more like a 50% increase in capacity, which makes more sense when you are comparing the square footage.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:27:15 pm »
Quote from: "guspasho"
Don't expect everyone to honor the tax-free status. It's an optional benefit that some businesses offer but, AFAIK, aren't required to.

Actualy I have only used it a few times per trip usealy i'm in to much of a hurry to have them get a store manager over to aprove just so I can save 8 cents.  

I plan on bringing as much of anything I need so I have the chance to price compare and not stuck with what ever store is in the Hotel area.  This year I had to go get stuff at safeway and it was spendy when you get Rolls of duct tape and super glue and they only had one color of tape.  And of course I brought 30 cup o noodles
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 04:15:52 pm »
Sweeeeeeet!  I live in Vancouver, so this kicks @$$ for me.  Plus, it's right across the river from the Red Lion, so anyone whining about it being too far away should be aware that you can pretty much SEE the Vancouver Con. center from the Red Lion.

Only thing that sucks = There's pretty much not a damned thing to do downtown Vancouver.  'Cept the con.  Our only mall is pathetic and a long way away from teh convention center.  Plus that part of Vancouver is RAMPANT with crazy homeless people late at night, so I'd advise against wandering alone at dark.

This is pretty exciting!  Plus, anyone coming by train, the Amtrak station isn't far from the convention center.  That makes things super easy for ya'll!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 05:49:45 pm »
I'm not complaining about the distance it is. I'm not even really complaining about the hotel, or whatever,. I'm asking, because there are probably plenty of places in Oregon to hold the con, why would  it be held in Washington?
Even if it's only a couple miles from the last con, it is not in Oregon anymore, and that says something.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:24:32 pm »
Lets just be happy that we have a place to be at.
Also think of Kcon as hermit crab. we have to move to a new place  as we get bigger and this hotel is the perfect place for us this year.

I am not saying that we will always be in washington, but atm for this year we will be.

also Its hard to find a place  so lets thank the person who got us the spot.

THANK YOU.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 07:41:38 pm »
Quote from: "yukimizu"
I'm not complaining about the distance it is. I'm not even really complaining about the hotel, or whatever,. I'm asking, because there are probably plenty of places in Oregon to hold the con, why would  it be held in Washington?

I asked that very question at the meeting, and the answer is:

1. This is the only hotel that is big enough to hold our growing attendees in the Portland area (and yes, like it or not we are growing -- not quite large enough for the Portland Convention Center, but too big for most of the Portland hotels) and

2. Available for the amount of time we need it.

I have not been to the hotel, but am assured by the staff that it will suit our needs more than adequately. As a Publicity person, I sigh at the loss of being able to say K-con is "Oregon's only Anime convention" but I think I'll live. It also makes more eager to let my city council people know that Portland is loosing out on a lot by not having space for conventions.

Also, although from a planning standpoint it would be awesome to have the same space year after year (and I do believe the time will come when we will have the convention center - maybe by then it will have a hotel attached), I also understand that we don't want to be tied into something for years on end if it doesn't work out. So ya. As stated, we'll just annex the town for the weekend and we all get dual citizenship!

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »
Quote from: "Antares"
Quote from: "yukimizu"

I asked that very question at the meeting, and the answer is:

1. This is the only hotel that is big enough to hold our growing attendees in the Portland area (and yes, like it or not we are growing -- not quite large enough for the Portland Convention Center, but too big for most of the Portland hotels) and

2. Available for the amount of time we need it.

I have not been to the hotel, but am assured by the staff that it will suit our needs more than adequately. As a Publicity person, I sigh at the loss of being able to say K-con is "Oregon's only Anime convention" but I think I'll live. It also makes more eager to let my city council people know that Portland is loosing out on a lot by not having space for conventions.

Also, although from a planning standpoint it would be awesome to have the same space year after year (and I do believe the time will come when we will have the convention center - maybe by then it will have a hotel attached), I also understand that we don't want to be tied into something for years on end if it doesn't work out. So ya. As stated, we'll just annex the town for the weekend and we all get dual citizenship!

To the United States and Florida?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 08:57:59 pm »
Very good answers, staff! And accurate to boot.

We tried VERY HARD to stay on this side of the river. We tried different dates from July to November. We tried every hotel that was big enough for us to no avail. In the end, it was Washington or no con. Most hotels book a year and a half in advance. For the ones the size we need, it turned out to be more like two to three in advance. This is atypical of hotels, and we'll have to roll with it. (Yes, we are currently considering the hotel for 2008. Doubletree is already booked.)

But let's not view this as a bad thing. The only thing wrong with this hotel is that it is on the wrong side of the river. We will eventually make it back to the Oregon side, but until we have a better hotel than any thing Portland currently has to offer.

I've added a few of the selling points about the hotel to the web page. And we will have meetings there as well, for those of you who would like a preview.

In the end, the thing that really matters is that we are KUMORICON! We still have the staff, we still have the enthusiasm, we still have everything that makes us different from other cons around the country. The state did not make us what we were and are. The people did. And they are still here. (Thank goodness!)
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 11:20:57 pm »
It is reasonable to ask the questions about the move to washington like:

OMG?, WTF? ,  WHY, oh god why *cries*, Dude? What? Why? Do I have to pay sales tax on my Pockey??? My ramune??

There will continue to be questions about the move but the best thing I can say is that we are still KUMROICON!

KURMOICON will still rock and will still be the con to go to!
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 11:42:55 pm »
Interesting. Kind of sucks in a way, though. I mean, I live just a few miles outside of Vancouver, and it's actually like, 5 miles closer .. but .. I don't wanna pay taxes. :(

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 08:40:25 am »
Quote from: "EcchiSpice"

In the end, the thing that really matters is that we are KUMORICON!

..and I hear it is still cloudy in WA.

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 10:00:13 am »
Believe it or not, Washington is just like Oregon. The only noticable differences are sales tax (which doesn't apply to Pocky and Ramune as food items, BTW!) and the lack of smoking in bars.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:07 am »
I can see both sides to this, I guess I'm just bummed that tax money will be going to Washington and not Oregon. And I understand that unprepared food isn't taxed, but everything else in the Dealer's Room will be.

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 11:24:30 am »
As with Sakura-Con, there are a lot of dealers that will just include the tax in their prices, so it's rather transparent.  It's less hassle at the point of sale to just deal with whole dollar amounts, so they usually just take the tax out after the convention.
~Sean Larson~

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 01:05:21 pm »
Thanks to everyone for trying to make this as positive as possible.

It's going to take some time for some people to get used to, but I'm sure it'll be ok in the end.

To the people weirded out, you're not alone, obviously, but keep in mind that this was the best possible choice the directors could have made.

Everyone else, please keep patience to the ones still getting used to it.  Sometimes change is hard to adjust to.

Let's just try to make the best of it though.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 01:43:18 pm »
Looking on the bright side....>_>

yah! More space!! I almost died from hyperventilation this year due to the overly crowded halls 0__0

I'm just glad that we'll have a place for next year ^^ Vancouver still feels like Oregon to me...

LONG LIVE KUMORICON!!!!! OSU~!!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 01:52:25 pm »
as long as it is a (i stress) temp move till were big enough for the portland convetion center  i an happy they found a space that will rock our socks :)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 02:28:15 pm »
For those of you who are really unhappy we are in another state, just think of it this way, if you can help us get tons and tons of people at the con this year we can just skip hotels and move right to the convention center and then we won't have any more problems.  :wink:

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline spindrift76

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 02:42:35 pm »
Quote from: "Nyco27"
For those of you who are really unhappy we are in another state, just think of it this way, if you can help us get tons and tons of people at the con this year we can just skip hotels and move right to the convention center and then we won't have any more problems.  :wink:

Nyco

YES!! Convention Center here we come!! lets bust out the wall on this hotel!!!  No hotel will hold us wahahahaha  :-D
Minion of the Otaku 7

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 03:29:53 pm »
Quote from: "Nyco27"

Nyco

You know though if we did get the convention center the year after next the next complaint would be how they wished it was still small enough to be in a hotel  :P

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 04:03:38 pm »
Quote from: "jasonqdavis"

You know though if we did get the convention center the year after next the next complaint would be how they wished it was still small enough to be in a hotel  :P

Yes people will say we have grown too much but hey as long as staff and members want to keep it friendly and family like it will still be a good Con.

And you can't please everyone.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 07:43:20 pm »
This will be my second year going to Kcon and although I am happy that we HAVE a con and that we have a space large enough to accomidate our growing crowd I still can't help but have it bother me a tad bit that OUR Oregon convention is not in Oregon. Besides I like my money... *pouts*

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 07:44:56 pm »
As stated, all vendors will be putting the tax into the price so no calculations will be needed. and on nono pre-prepared food items there is no tax so pocky and romane candy are good to go

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 07:48:57 pm »
Actually, only some vendors may pay the tax themselves. That's not the case across the board, with all vendors. I paid tax at Sakuracon in the dealers' room. Probably more often than not though I honestly can't remember.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
I am sort of thinking that this is like the magical year when we go to a far away land and we will return home soon.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 10:58:51 pm »
A Kino's Journey Kumori Con?  Ooooh, that would be awesome!

Offline Micardyn

• Cabbit
    • Life [Condensed]
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 09:42:35 am »
I live on the Portland/Gresham line on Division. If I can make to Vancouver... there isn't a problem. So can I ride #6 from the downtown transit center that's on Main and 5th? Atleast I think it's fifth... because then I can take #4 downtown... -mumbles quietly- Anyways, anyone that can help me with that. Yay!

So, I wasn't really noticing it was in Washington, I was just amused that I could see it when I looked out the window of the Red Lion. We have space... so what's the big deal?

Anyways, point being... how many people have to attend Kcon for us to get the Convention center?
'Never let fear stop you from doing the little things in life...'

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 09:55:16 am »
The convention center holds about 10,000 people roughly.

we would have to gt around 8000 large to really make good use of the convention center.

Offline Micardyn

• Cabbit
    • Life [Condensed]
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 10:00:13 am »
Ha, seriously? I'm not sure we'll ever be that big, but it would be nice. Here's to hoping. -crosses fingers-

Atleast we have a place for Kcon 07. And the slightly larger space might make registration, events and crowd control a bit easier.
'Never let fear stop you from doing the little things in life...'

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 10:30:13 am »
plus the layout of the hotel *faints in happiness* no more mile runs from one end of the hotel to the other. its all neatly condensed and stacked

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 12:52:55 pm »
plus the layout of the hotel *faints in happiness* no more mile runs from one end of the hotel to the other. its all neatly condensed and stacked

Yes I hear you like them stacked..... hotels that is.

the main thing to keep in mind with the Con in Washington...

What ever you do at the con your now crossing state lines to do it

Von "What happens In Vancover stays in Vancover" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 01:08:23 pm »

They layout is HUGE!!!  It just makes me drool looking at the sheer size of it!

And, with everything be so close, it'll be so much easier to just roll me under a table whever I get too sick and pass out, and not be afraid of losing me. ^.^

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 01:13:20 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

They layout is HUGE!!!  It just makes me drool looking at the sheer size of it!

And, with everything be so close, it'll be so much easier to just roll me under a table whever I get too sick and pass out, and not be afraid of losing me. ^.^

so if you want to work the repair station do we need to put it next to the aid station
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:55 pm »
Nah, just roll me under the table and make the excuse that I'm repairing the floor.

>.>
<.<

Hey, sometimes floors need to be repaired!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 01:40:37 pm »
this whole disscution makes me think of my friends daughter whos 5 and wants a pink cat, my friends fave color is yellow so in hopes of a cat tried to cut a deal with mom
"we can share a kittie ! it can be half yellow and half pink!"
btw they just got a puppy

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 02:15:25 pm »
that was so random and off topic my head nearly exploded

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 04:26:59 pm »
carful to look where you step. you could step on kylites head!

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 04:44:34 pm »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
this whole disscution makes me think of my friends daughter whos 5 and wants a pink cat, my friends fave color is yellow so in hopes of a cat tried to cut a deal with mom
"we can share a kittie ! it can be half yellow and half pink!"
btw they just got a puppy

AAAAAhhhhhhhhh!

*falls over and sanity leaks from ears*

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:08 pm »
It'd be nice if people remembered that we're sister cities . . . this doesn't have to turn into a WA vs. OR kinda thing.  Vancouver IS considered in the Portland Metro area, in case you forgot . . .

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:46 am »
I agree with the amusing suggestion that this is a "magical journey" to Washington from which we will soon return. :D And technically, we ARE still "Oregon's only" anime convention. What we are NOT, as of this year, is an "Oregon-only" anime convention. ;)

Now, this is technically a rumor, but what I heard was that Washington businesses are required by law to refund sales tax to Oregonians, BUT many employees are ignorant of this fact, and will refuse to believe it if you try to waltz in the door and tell them about it.

It makes sense to me: people from other states don't pay OUR sales tax when they drive through Oregon, so why should we pay theirs?...

Well, in any case, I can only think of a small handful of taxable items that I'm likely to buy at the site of the con. I hope that's true of everyone else who dislikes the idea of WA sales tax.

Quote from: "Micardyn"
Ha, seriously? I'm not sure we'll ever be that big, but it would be nice. Here's to hoping. -crosses fingers-

Bwaaahaaa... XD *covers face and points in the direction of Seattle*  ...We were saying that sort of thing at Sakura Con about 4 years ago. Remember: anime popularity is still on the rise. It's not going to level off just yet.

The upside is that more conventions keep popping up, so if Kumori Con gets too big, you can always search for a more "homey" convention-ish event somewhere else (if you can stand a bit of a drive...)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2006, 09:28:12 am »
Hahaha. I think she was talking that the hotel being in vancoover is a little dissapointing, but the space and the layout is a good thing?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2006, 11:02:51 am »
Quote from: "Radien"
I agree with the amusing suggestion that this is a "magical journey" to Washington from which we will soon return. :D And technically, we ARE still "Oregon's only" anime convention. What we are NOT, as of this year, is an "Oregon-only" anime convention. ;)

Now, this is technically a rumor, but what I heard was that Washington businesses are required by law to refund sales tax to Oregonians, BUT many employees are ignorant of this fact, and will refuse to believe it if you try to waltz in the door and tell them about it.

It makes sense to me: people from other states don't pay OUR sales tax when they drive through Oregon, so why should we pay theirs?...

Because Oregon doesn't have a sales tax? On the flip side of the argument, Washington residents DO pay Oregon income tax, and can't avoid paying it because they live in a state that has no income tax.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2006, 11:05:30 am »
work in washington, live in oregon.
then u dont get nailed for income tax, and u dont get nailed for sales tax

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2006, 11:07:38 am »
work in washington, live in oregon.
then u dont get nailed for income tax, and u dont get nailed for sales tax

Also you get to drive the reverse commute across the I-5 bridge.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2006, 02:16:53 pm »
my mom works in or and live in wash this bad?

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2006, 03:34:43 pm »
As a Portland girl I just want to say that I still am but I am just living in the suburb of Vancouver.  I like not having to pay sales tax because I still have my Oregon DL because it has my parents address.  So I always get to cheat the system.  

I love the idea that if took SR 14 doing about 150mph and turn at the exact moment I would fly off the ramp and hit the convention center dead on.  Note on the Dead part though :-P  It looks pretty and I am eager to go explore the inside because I been past the building a great deal.  I reconized the building from the pictures that Sean took but I didn't say anything and I am glad I was correct.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006, 10:08:11 pm »

Because Oregon doesn't have a sales tax? On the flip side of the argument, Washington residents DO pay Oregon income tax, and can't avoid paying it because they live in a state that has no income tax.

Seeing as I live in Oregon, yes, I know we don't have sales tax. Perhaps I could have worded it better: "people from other states don't pay sales tax in Oregon."

The lack of a sales tax doesn't mean less tax overall; it means Oregon makes up for it by having more tax in other ways. That means that Oregon residents are footing the bill for services given indiscriminately to all travelers (roads, rest stops, etc.)  It's just a broad estimation of where funds end up going, but I think it makes sense.

I'm not sure what you mean about Washington income tax. I've never been in a situation where I had to pay income tax outside of Oregon.

Apollo Justice

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2006, 10:20:34 pm »
Gus, keep the political dicussion out of here. :P

I'm glad that everyone is warming up to the idea. The November meeting will be at the hotel, so everyone can get a good look.

That's something I forgot to post - the halls are really wide, so we won't have to yell at people to stop blocking them, unless they make a valliant effort to block them.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2006, 10:35:39 pm »
Will we get any idea of what rooms will be used for what at this time other then the obvious like the main performance hall.   The earlier we know the more time to work on Signage and Mapage.  And as I had an idea that more of the rooms should have there own volunteer staff like Fan Fic and PC game rooms do the room team member can get an idea of what there set up will be but that can wait till the weeks before when we should take  another tour of the hotel
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2006, 10:43:20 pm »
We already have some ideas. As we expand the programming, things may move areound a bit. Plus, we're at a loss as to what to do with the board room. (aka Meg's Power Trip of Doom Expression of Zeal Room) The best plan I've come up with so far is to take pictures of my bobble head Jack- in - the Box CEO at the table. Or to COSPLAY the jitb CEO, and sit in the room giving out random, nonsensical orders.

We'll have a better idea as we approach the con.

Some signage can be started now. Generic signs for thing we know we'll have can be worked up at any time. (Main Events, This Way to Fan Fic, Vendors Hall, etc.)

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:09 am »
We could use the board room for Gothic Lolita Tea Parties and it would be idea for some panels I know.  

I know that we don't have the budget for Hospitality but maybe do a potluck room with it and invite Taco Con to have their little event there too.  

Also I was thinking what about Volunteer HQ?  We could do training in that room for Volunteers that want to help out and need to know what to do to be effective.

Just some ideas.... I am sure it will get used well.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2006, 01:21:33 am »
personally I vote boardroom as the lan party. fire code does not go above 15 in that room at max. its the smallest space so its perfect for it. but thats just my 2 cents.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2006, 07:42:11 am »
I don't think that the Gothic Lolita events would fit in a room that has max cap. of 15. I vote Lan party aswell.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2006, 11:05:52 am »
Seeing as I live in Oregon, yes, I know we don't have sales tax. Perhaps I could have worded it better: "people from other states don't pay sales tax in Oregon."

The lack of a sales tax doesn't mean less tax overall; it means Oregon makes up for it by having more tax in other ways. That means that Oregon residents are footing the bill for services given indiscriminately to all travelers (roads, rest stops, etc.)  It's just a broad estimation of where funds end up going, but I think it makes sense.

I'm not sure what you mean about Washington income tax. I've never been in a situation where I had to pay income tax outside of Oregon.

In the same way that Oregon has no sales tax, Washington has no income tax. Washington residents that work in Washington don't pay income tax to the state, only the federal government.

However, Oregon gets you both ways. If you are a Washington resident who works in Oregon or an Oregon resident who works in Washington, Oregon makes you pay their income tax.

Kylite is incorrect, you get nailed for income tax either way. Only if you neither live or work in Oregon do you escape Oregon income tax.

Oh yes, and Meg only knows me too well. I have a rule against political discussions here, because they are so divisive and irrelevant to Kumoricon. So I'm trying to keep all my statements to matters of fact. I've been a cross-border resident between Oregon and Washington for some time so I'm trying to explain what I know about how things work as a cross-border resident. Matters of opinion such as about the value of taxes, which system is better, or whatever, are political discussions and should be avoided at all costs. Thanks.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2006, 12:05:52 pm »
Here we go. It appears the rumor you mentioned is not true, businesses are not required to offer exemptions to out-of-staters, only permitted to do so with certain requirements. And of course, the law is very complex.

http://dor.wa.gov/content/home/qa/tax_QA_RST.aspx

The answer to the question "Should I collect sales tax from all nonresidents?" implies that businesses are not required by law to offer any exemptions to out-of-staters.

There is a PDF referenced that specifically states it.

http://dor.wa.gov/docs/rules/eta/2014.pdf

"The statute specifically provides that sellers are not required to make tax-exempt sales to nonresidents. However, sellers who choose to make tax-exempt sales must meet the requirements provided below under "Instructions to Sellers."

So hopefully that clears that up, and there aren't any problems with snarky otaku demanding their eight cents back on whatever. Not you, Radien, I know you aren't snarky, but put 3000 otaku together and you're bound to find someone.

I grew up in Washington and since moving to Oregon never saw a problem with paying the tax myself. However, it will probably be worth bringing up to the exhibitors to request they offer exemptions to Oregonian attendees. I'll mention it to our Relations Director.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2006, 12:28:32 pm »
I love wide halls  :D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2006, 03:34:20 pm »
me too and anime convetions

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2006, 05:11:22 pm »
me too and cosplayers[good ones]

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2006, 06:39:14 pm »
well i love them all!  :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2006, 07:06:27 pm »
I'm happy about this decision.

Normally, people have no problem saying the "Portland/Vancouver" metro area.  IN fact, my school's newspaper just had an opinion piece about Vancouver being the armpit of Portland, since Clark COunty has to rely on Portland for things to do, (which I disagree with).

If the two are one in the same, then the con being in Vancouver is NOT that big of an idea.

YIPPY! for the people who chose this.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:01 pm »
yeah, its a little wierd. i heard a while ago that this was a possiblity.  not a big deal for me since im in portland and i drive in.  but i would personally like to see it come back to portland after 2007 if at all possible. or at least the "portland metro area" proper.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2006, 08:57:20 pm »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
I'm happy about this decision.

Normally, people have no problem saying the "Portland/Vancouver" metro area.  IN fact, my school's newspaper just had an opinion piece about Vancouver being the armpit of Portland, since Clark COunty has to rely on Portland for things to do, (which I disagree with).

If the two are one in the same, then the con being in Vancouver is NOT that big of an idea.

YIPPY! for the people who chose this.

*pinch* ARMPIT?!?!  Ya know, Washougal used to [insert your favorite untrue non sequiter here]

XD

Oh, is the Vancouver con. center gonna let us use our Yojimbo as security?

Edited by Guspasho: let's just not go there. Thanks.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2006, 09:15:38 pm »
Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
yeah, its a little wierd. i heard a while ago that this was a possiblity.  not a big deal for me since im in portland and i drive in.  but i would personally like to see it come back to portland after 2007 if at all possible. or at least the "portland metro area" proper.

I'd argue we're still in the "Portland metro area proper" :P

Quote from: "MistressLegato"
Oh, is the Vancouver con. center gonna let us use our Yojimbo as security?

Yes, they will.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2006, 10:41:44 pm »
i dunno im a portland girl born and raised,  real portland, not beaverton or aloha or grsham or any of that.  i loves it and i get confused when people who live portland agacent think they live in portland, like when my friend told her mom on the phone "im downtown at lilis house"  when i live in south east. very much so not downtown, just not suburbia.  

and vancouver isent in pdx as its in washington, even though alot of the teachers where i went to highschool lived in vancouver.  

im just a little portland elitist.

but  i would at least like to see it back in oregon.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2006, 10:20:52 am »
Just to say it...  I grew up in Michigan and had to deal with a 6.5 percent sales tax for most of my life.  Yeah, it adds up, but if you have to pay sales tax for a weekend, it's not going to be a horrible inconvenience, just possibly a little confusing.

For every dollar you spend, they'll ask 6 extra cents from you, or for every two dollars 13 cents.  

You just have to keep in mind that whatever the tag price is, you may need to pay a few cents or dollars more, depending on the price of your item.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2006, 12:30:35 pm »
I am excited -- change is hard but usually good.
And I am extremely excited to see Street Team expand! I think it will be easier to convince WA shops to donate and will grow the number of places we get swag and auction donations.

BTW -- Although I am not officially 2007 Street Team leader, I have started a thread under GET INVOLVED

Here is a link:
http://www.kumoricon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63926#63926

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2006, 05:48:07 am »
Here we go. It appears the rumor you mentioned is not true, businesses are not required to offer exemptions to out-of-staters, only permitted to do so with certain requirements. And of course, the law is very complex.

Ahaa... okay, I'm glad I specifically qualified it as a rumor, then. Few people look up laws themselves, so it's pretty easy to get misinformation through word-of-mouth.

The way that law works reminds me of can deposits. Stores used to accept can returns of all types, but now that automatic can-counters are commonplace, they generally refuse to accept brands that they don't carry.

So hopefully that clears that up, and there aren't any problems with snarky otaku demanding their eight cents back on whatever. Not you, Radien, I know you aren't snarky, but put 3000 otaku together and you're bound to find someone.

Snarky? Well... not usually. ^_^; I try to be courteous to businesses, since they usually mean no harm.
(Not to mention I sometimes read Customers Suck)

I grew up in Washington and since moving to Oregon never saw a problem with paying the tax myself. However, it will probably be worth bringing up to the exhibitors to request they offer exemptions to Oregonian attendees. I'll mention it to our Relations Director.

That's a great idea. :) It would allow them to drop their price by several cents on the dollar without losing any profits. For some vendors it might not be worth the extra paperwork, but others might find it worthwhile. Shoppers tend to leave happy when they get back more change than they expected, even if it's just a few cents.

Apollo Justice

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2006, 10:11:11 am »
Quote from: "valliegirl"
Just to say it...  I grew up in Michigan and had to deal with a 6.5 percent sales tax for most of my life.  Yeah, it adds up, but if you have to pay sales tax for a weekend, it's not going to be a horrible inconvenience, just possibly a little confusing.

For every dollar you spend, they'll ask 6 extra cents from you, or for every two dollars 13 cents.

Is that the amount based off of your area of Michigan?  Because that's not what it is here in Vancouver.  Here, it's 8.1%.  In Washougal it's 8.3%.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2006, 11:54:29 am »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"

Is that the amount based off of your area of Michigan?  Because that's not what it is here in Vancouver.  Here, it's 8.1%.  In Washougal it's 8.3%.

My bad.  I tried looking it up on a website, and I thought it said 6.5% in Vancouver.  

Michigan was 6%.

Still if you look at 8.something, that's still not bad.  That's still about 8 cents to the dollar.  

Either way, I still stand by my original statement of sales tax isn't the death of society.  

And you shouldn't be afraid to pump your own gas either.

:P

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2006, 12:11:44 pm »
Washington state sales tax is 6.5%. Localities have their own they may add on top of that, hence the confusion, and the difference between Vancouver and Washougal, for example.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
Okay, you Portland elitists...
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 04:27:20 pm »
Please realize that the first Kumoricon was held in Eugene, since all the founders of Kumoricon lived there! We realized that Eugene didn't have adequate convention space, and we graciously moved the whole thing up to Portland. Please consider that it takes us 4 hours to drive up there and back just to attend a meeting. And the wonderful people from Seattle who help us out have to drive 6 hours!
So, you want to play at how horrible it is to move 3 miles north? Hah.
Frankly, even if there *were* available convention space in "Portland Proper" I would still say that we should hold it at the Hilton, just because the space is nice and new.
It is still in the Oregon region, and that's the only thing that really matters :-)
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2006, 04:32:21 pm »
i speak for my self as long as there is a kumoricon (and i have a way of getting there <3 kendo boyfriend/bus/family) it could be in new hamchire for all i care as long as there is a kumoricon!
that is if i belived new hapchire existed...or misourie for that matter

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: Okay, you Portland elitists...
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2006, 04:48:10 am »
Quote from: "modab"
Please realize that the first Kumoricon was held in Eugene, since all the founders of Kumoricon lived there! We realized that Eugene didn't have adequate convention space, and we graciously moved the whole thing up to Portland. Please consider that it takes us 4 hours to drive up there and back just to attend a meeting. And the wonderful people from Seattle who help us out have to drive 6 hours!
So, you want to play at how horrible it is to move 3 miles north? Hah.
Frankly, even if there *were* available convention space in "Portland Proper" I would still say that we should hold it at the Hilton, just because the space is nice and new.
It is still in the Oregon region, and that's the only thing that really matters :-)

Dang, you make a good point there, Modab. Geez, and I'm from the Eugene/Springfield area, myself. It sure was nice the first year, when I could get out of bed, get into my car, drive ten minutes, and be right there (with plenty of free parking). :P Portland is still nice, for me, because I go to Sakura Con every year even though it's a 6-freaking-hour drive.

And while we're discussing about trivial technicalities... I am still mildly amused by the fact that the first Kumori Con was actually held in Springfield, not Eugene. ;) The Gateway area is well over the dividing line between the two cities. The T-shirts said "Eugene, 2003" only because most of the staff was from Eugene, or attended the University of Oregon (like me).

Totally true, but like this move to a new venue, it's not really that important.

Apollo Justice

Offline Disco Pete

• Cabbit
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2006, 08:55:42 pm »
I would like to welcome all you Oregonites to our state.  Don't forget to sign the guest book.

We need a state guest book.

And a big welcome mat in the middle of I-5.

Ooh, I'm so excited!  I'm gonna save 2 minutes drive time!  Whee~! :)

Honestly, from where I live Vancouver is just Portland that overflowed across the river.  Except I get to pump my own gas.  Which is important, since gas-pumping is such an important activity among anime fans.  Up there with Cosplay and watching AMVs.
Quote from: "valliegirl"
And you shouldn't be afraid to pump your own gas either.

:P

Maybe there should be a panel on Sat. about gas-pumping techniques.   :wink:

Sales tax?  Yeah, it sucks.  I'm stuck with it 365 days a year.  One weekend won't hurt... bad
~Disco Pete~

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:40 am »
Quote from: "Disco Pete"
Honestly, from where I live Vancouver is just Portland that overflowed across the river.  Except I get to pump my own gas.  Which is important, since gas-pumping is such an important activity among anime fans.  Up there with Cosplay and watching AMVs.

I like having someone else to pump my gas. Why? Best answer: check out a weather site and see what kind of weather we're having down here in Eugene this week. :P

Funny how much has changed since the full-service stations of the 1950s...

Apollo Justice

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2006, 01:21:08 am »
(off topic)  I used to pump gas it sucked as a job.

and honestly how much are you gonna be driving while at kcon, if your that worried go down to portland for gas or have me come along and I shall pump the gasoline.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:44 am »
call me old fashioned but pumping gas is kendo boyfriends job

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »
Yes!
I wake up from my hibernation to write up my Pocky Club Newsletter finally and this is the most active place on the forums!

I'm so proud!

Fie I say!
America for Americans!
*snicker*

I totally need a big blue top hat for the convention.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2006, 08:52:33 pm »
Yay! I am looking forward to Kumo at the Hilton! Plus if we have to ride in on the bus again we won't have to walk 6 blocks again!
Secrety secrets!

Offline snakeling

• Sailor Scout
    • http://cmdproduction.com
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2006, 11:13:16 am »
Quote from: "Disco Pete"
I would like to welcome all you Oregonites to our state.  Don't forget to sign the guest book.

We need a state guest book.

And a big welcome mat in the middle of I-5.

bad

You folks got rid of your welcome mat.  It used to proudly read "Eat Now at Waddles"  I'm still trying to work out my theory that all Washingtonians are part of the mysterious and secretive Waddles collective.  But the Waddles sign was too close to the truth so it was changed to Hooters.  But still... a bird eatery.

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2006, 07:20:46 am »
I have my own opinions on the whole con being in Vancouver thing but there is no point talking about them, since it doesn't matter. The decision has been made, there won't be any changing it. There is definitely a difference though in persona's and attitudes of those that attend Kumoricon and Sakuracon than those that attend Game, Sci-Fi and other larger anime cons though. Not necessarily a bad thing... but it is definitely different when looking at it from a professional con-goer experience.

Just to be a bit more specific about the law, it really isn't that complex really.  The exemption is limited to purchases of items that are taken and used out of the state. Purchases of meals, hotel rooms, laundry services or other services or products the nonresident uses while in Washington do not qualify for the exemption.

In short meals, food, hotel rooms, services, etc do are not required to give you an exemption. You can still ask if they honor them, some businesses do for hopes of repeat business. Of course places like McD's, BK, Taco Bell, etc usually won't though.

If you are purchasing clothes, dvds, electroncics, actual physical items then they are required to give you the exemption.

Please remember though they will require a proof of Oregon residence and it usually has to be a Oregon Drivers License or State Issued ID. A school ID, passport, even a letter with your address would not count as valid proof of residence.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2006, 08:18:57 pm »
Quote from: "HaSanGo"
If you are purchasing clothes, dvds, electroncics, actual physical items then they are required to give you the exemption.

No, you did not read what I wrote. Washington businesses are not required to give any tax exemptions to Oregonians. They are permitted to, but not required. Please read my earlier post carefully, because I don't want there to be any confusion and any poor representation of the con because of it.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guenthar

• Cabbit
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2006, 09:07:25 pm »
I was so happy to find out that I would beable to go to Kcon this year that I went to the meeting and volunteered to be a staff member.  If it wasn't in Vancouver I wouldn't have been able to go since I can't afford to get a hotel room and my moped can't go on freeways.

PS.  Sales tax isn't that bad on inexpensive things and doesn't bother me unless it is something expensive. (I buy those things online instead)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2006, 06:28:33 pm »
No, you did not read what I wrote. Washington businesses are not required to give any tax exemptions to Oregonians. They are permitted to, but not required. Please read my earlier post carefully, because I don't want there to be any confusion and any poor representation of the con because of it.
That is my fault. I cut and pasted a couple responses together and forgot a paragraph. It should of read as the following, the required part referring to the first part of the places that do honor the exemption:
Quote from: "HaSanGo"
There aren't many businesses that will not honor the exemption on the Washington/Vancouver border mainly because they want people to come back. They are in close proximity to each other and many customers of businesses will make the trip to Oregon just to escape tax. So to ensure return and good business most major businesses honor the exemption. When you get further up north into Seattle that is a bit different. It never hurts to ask.

Just to be a bit more specific about the law, it really isn't that complex really. The exemption is limited to purchases of items that are taken and used out of the state. Purchases of meals, hotel rooms, laundry services or other services or products the nonresident uses while in Washington do not qualify for the exemption.

In short meals, food, hotel rooms, services, etc do are not required to give you an exemption. You can still ask if they honor them, some businesses do for hopes of repeat business. Of course places like McD's, BK, Taco Bell, etc usually won't though.

Please remember though they will require a proof of Oregon residence and it usually has to be a Oregon Drivers License or State Issued ID. A school ID, passport, even a letter with your address would not count as valid proof of residence.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2006, 09:55:34 pm »
Ah, thanks for the clarification on that. That reads much differently now.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2006, 06:15:13 pm »
HaSanGo:

Thanks; your explanation makes it very clear about when I should actually ask about exemption. :)

However, I'm confused about why you used this wording:

"If you are purchasing clothes, dvds, electroncics, actual physical items then they are required to give you the exemption."

Isn't the consensus that they are never required to give you the exemption?...

Ah well... I will ask about it at times, and if they say "no," then that's that.

Apollo Justice

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2006, 12:08:04 pm »
HaSanGo:

Thanks; your explanation makes it very clear about when I should actually ask about exemption. :)

However, I'm confused about why you used this wording:

"If you are purchasing clothes, dvds, electroncics, actual physical items then they are required to give you the exemption."

Isn't the consensus that they are never required to give you the exemption?...

Ah well... I will ask about it at times, and if they say "no," then that's that.
Depending on where you go there will be places that say they do honor the exemption... but will then go and say, "Oh that can't be used on that item or we'll honor it for these but not those". Essentially they say yes they do honor, because some people will just leave if they don't to find a place that does (usually not that hard to find) then when you try to use it, claim that certain items are ineligible.

So basically if they say they do honor it, then they have to give you the excemption on the items like clothes, dvd, electronics... physical items being taken out of the state. Most things like consumables however they are not required too.

That particular quote isn't meant to be quoted out of context, it is used in conjunction with the whole post, the first paragraph... "If" they say yes "then they are required too" on X items or "not required" on Y items.

Does that make better sense?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2006, 01:43:31 pm »
Minor word of caution: DO NOT touch the red wall with the pictures on it. it IS alarmed and will make the big mean men come running.

*grins*

SOMEONE had to warn them!

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2006, 06:29:56 pm »
Minor word of caution: DO NOT touch the red wall with the pictures on it. it IS alarmed and will make the big mean men come running.

*grins*

SOMEONE had to warn them!

oh good so not you.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2006, 06:53:02 pm »
and if a sign says "wet paint don't touch"
dont X(

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2006, 10:52:45 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
and if a sign says "wet paint don't touch"
dont X(

well that just goes without saying anywhere!  ^_^

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:24 pm »
whatever you do GIR dont push the

BIG...ROUND...SHINEY.....RED......BUTTON!

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2006, 12:12:50 pm »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2006, 01:18:20 pm »
i got board pressin button..:(