Author Topic: AMV Masteres needed  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV Masteres needed
« on: October 16, 2006, 12:01:45 am »
I need a few AMV masteres to help me out.

I got Pinnacle 10.5 which is fine for editing, but I want to get really deep into doing special effects, like the ones used on the Kumoricon Videos under that category this year.

Not just effects where you put some flames over the video, but you can also make thing happen like make two anime characters fight each other, or erase the background and have an anime character dance infront of a new one, flashes of cool looking light, that type of stuff.

I was wondering which programs you guys used. Lately I've been hearing alot about "Adobe effects" and looked at it on ebay but dont know enough about it to consider buying it.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:38:22 am »
I'm just getting into Adobe After Effects.  I made the Sohma Who Shagged Me in the AMV contest, which obviously didn't have any kind of special effects whatsoever.  You can do a TON of stuff with After Effects.  As far as your background thing, I'm not sure how to do that.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:52:20 pm »
Quote from: "HeavenscloneX"
I'm just getting into Adobe After Effects.  I made the Sohma Who Shagged Me in the AMV contest, which obviously didn't have any kind of special effects whatsoever.  You can do a TON of stuff with After Effects.  As far as your background thing, I'm not sure how to do that.

Do you need any other program of just the after effects thing?
Can you so things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYFkK3dUU0

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:53 am »
All of the effects in the video you linked could easily be done in Premiere with some help from Photoshop. It mostly involves masking, where you literally make a mask that shows only part of a clip by setting the mask's Transparency to the right color, such as Green Screen for green, Blue Screen for Blue, whatever; a couple transparency settings let you choose a color but they tend to be less effective. Then, if you want, put another clip underneath both the first clip and mask to have something showing behind the first clip.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
Adobe After Effects
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:31:38 pm »
Although I consider myself novice-intermediate rather than MAH-stah, I use Adobe Aftereffects 5.0.
If you are going to the next meeting @ Chemeketa + LAN blast following, I should have it on at least one of my computers, and I'd be happy to show you (and any interested others) a bit about what you can do with it.

- G

(now in Tianjin CHINA) Ni hao, everybody!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Re: Adobe After Effects
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:41:13 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"
Although I consider myself novice-intermediate rather than MAH-stah, I use Adobe Aftereffects 5.0.
If you are going to the next meeting @ Chemeketa + LAN blast following, I should have it on at least one of my computers, and I'd be happy to show you (and any interested others) a bit about what you can do with it.

- G

(now in Tianjin CHINA) Ni hao, everybody!

Yep yep! Havent missed one Lanime!
I want to go to the meeting as well, so I might come early and sneak a seat in the back.

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:11:39 pm »
You should check out this video.  I think this person use After Effects to makes most of the pretties who'll see in it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mrqag42kjJ8
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 04:49:43 pm »
Quote from: "HeavenscloneX"
You should check out this video.  I think this person use After Effects to makes most of the pretties who'll see in it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mrqag42kjJ8

He used Magix Music Maker and MS Paint

I'm not joking

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 07:29:33 pm »
Wait, wha?

That doesn't sound possible at all. 0.o

Could you explain how he utlilized those programs to make those effects?
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Masteres needed
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 09:09:30 am »
First off, some of the crazy-mad-insane-omg-forever-awesome effects are actually just out of the anime... :P RahXephon was barely known when the video came out so few could really tell which was Koop's editing and what was already in the footage. To this day I haven't seen the anime so I couldn't tell you myself.

I said it once and I'll say it again: masking. Moving shapes that are set to a certain transparency type can show the footage inside the shape, and can also move whatever direction the shape is going if it's set correctly to do so. Koop made the various circles, rectangles and lines in MS Paint, brought them into Magix and monkeyed with their transparency levels to show different layers of footage on top of each other.

The part near the end where it seems like a line of rectangles circle around the character are just carefully placed rows of rectangles to make it seem that it's circling around the characters. It's actually a really clever technique.