Author Topic: Need Filk ideas  (Read 24949 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« on: March 18, 2005, 01:21:24 pm »
I'm trying to think up a filk idea for the next Sakura Con karaoke contest. I have no trouble thinking up lyrics once I've got myself going... 'Thing is, I often have a hard time coming up with an initial idea.

This is compounded by my total ineptitude when it comes to pop culture. I only know a few songs that are well-known and popular. However...well-known, popular songs make for the best parodies.

So, I need ideas. Or more specifically, well-known songs. :) If I stumble across the right song, I may be able to work out a parody concept on my own. So, could I get some help from those more adept at pop culture than myself, to name off some song titles? Also, sometimes songs aren't immediately recognizable by their titles alone, so reciting one line of lyrics from the chorus would certainly be appreciated.

Please help me work out an idea!
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:04:10 am »
My first suggestion, listen to the radio for a tune you like or a song that you think would work.  There should be enough of a mix of artists on there to help you find something.

As far as song titles, all I can think of is stuff that's well known but a few years old or older than me.
"I will survive"  ("At first I was afraid, I was petrified...")
"Kiss me" - Sixpence none the richer
"Wonderful World" ("I see trees of green, red roses too...")
Okay, I know I had more somewhere up here.  *Starts pounding head with fist in hopes of remembering*

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:59:38 am »
Thanks for the tips; yeah, I've tried all those. The problem is that the stuff I hear on the radio is usually too specific in lyric style for me to parody, or else too loud to put an emphasis on the lyrics. :?

Thinking up old, well-known songs is somewhat helpful, but they tend to be too old to make good fare for a live audience.

Sounds like we're in the same boat here... well, my next resort is to look at Weird Al's long list of songs. He usually picks out very fitting parodies, so hopefully it will either point me towards a good song to parody, or I can do a parody-of-a-parody on one of Al's releases. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 01:38:39 am »
Every now and then I'll kinda dip down into the idea of doing a Filk.  "I will Survive" is one song I thought of a filk for.  Which anime it's from is my secret  :wink: .  I haven't finished it but I keep going back to it once in awhile.

Sometimes I'll get a title in my head and start playing with it.  After the Weird-Al suggestion, I thought of the "Amish Paradise" song he did and thought of the lyrics "We're spending most our lives livin' in an otaku's paradise."

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:27:25 am »
Heh, yeah, good luck with your idea. ;)

I think Gangsta Paradise may be a little too serious a song for karaoke... and I mean the music itself, rather than the parody lyrics. That's a personal opinion, though, and I'm sure it would make a great parody overall.

I have a potential idea, which involves Evangelion and a certain Red Hot Chili Peppers song. ;) However, the main problem is that I haven't seen much Evangelion. I'll have to see how much episode synopses can help me...

Oh, and if anybody reading this figures out which song I'm talking about please don't steal my idea, okay?

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 02:14:08 am »
*Shrugs*
Haven't a clue on which song you're referring to.

I don't try to stick with the lyrics of the original song for the most part.  I may do it if I start thinking of a song, insert a few anime references, then just kinda go from there.  I mostly focus on the tune and syllables.

"Otaku's paradise" was just something I thought of there and then.  I don't know much of the song except for the chorus so I don't plan on actually making the rest of that.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 03:51:12 am »
Personally, when I write a parody, I try to make the rhymes similar to the original, even if the rest of the phrase is completely different. It makes it all feel more familiar, and people often become curious what phrases will be used in place of the original rhymes. :)

I only model it directly after the original lyrics if
A. I'm short on ideas, or
B. the original lyrics (or slight alterations of them) are very appropriate. ;)

Apollo Justice

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 10:46:57 am »
Heh...sounds fun.  But don't do Gangsta's Paradise, please!  (I already have a filk to that....Angsta's paradise...heh heh...to FFVII)

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline black marth 07

• Chibi
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 12:10:46 pm »
hi

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 04:29:43 pm »
Quote from: "black marth 07"
hi

This thread has been dead since april. PLEASE, don't post to these threads unless you have something else to input.  just putting a single word, is considered spam, and is very very rude.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 07:43:20 pm »
Now now hikaru, don't feed trolls.

Here's my filks. I hope they help somehow.
http://www.geocities.com/tee-moss/Jukebox/index.html
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 11:54:12 am »
ROFL!  Enter SAMAS *dies*

But "posting past midnight" is a broken link. :(

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
Need Filk ideas
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 10:15:18 pm »
I have a really good CCS song to the tune of The Beatles' "I Need You", although that might be kidn fo hard to find a backing disc for.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com