Author Topic: AMV Iron Chef for 2007?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:49:24 pm »
On another thread, an AMV 'Iron Chef' competition was mentioned.

I have some gueses about how to run it, but before I throw these out for comment, you all go first:

Who's interested, and how do you think the even should work?

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:35:40 pm »
I'd be all over that :)

From what I know, the editors would get two hours to work out a video using whatever sources the staff gives them and a song from a given list. One or two projectors could be setup so that anyone could come in and see their progress.

If you want a guy who knows his Iron Chef, contact Hsien Lee (aka Kusoyaro). He won the AWA one five times in a row until just last year. He'd be able to give you a lot on how it's run I'd bet. His email is kusoyaroproductions at hotmail dot com.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:44:31 pm »
Okay I accidentally lied >_>

Apparently, the editors are contacted by the staff and given a theme. Then the editors look for a song that would match well with that theme and bring it with them. Or at least something along those lines.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 03:13:23 am »
I had been thinking of providing a music 'bank' on, say, and external USB drive. Contestants would plug in, select anything they think would work (the range of music defines the 'theme')  and then pound away at the keyboards. If this is done early in the day, then the entries could be run at the head of the main AMV contest.

How would contestants get their anime clips?
Do they bring along a couple of favorite DVDs to the con, cross their fingers and go?

I think this could be fun too, and it doesn't seem like it would take much more time to prepare for given all the other projects we''re preparing/considering (tee hee.)

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:42:14 am »
Quote from: "Geirr"
How would contestants get their anime clips?
Do they bring along a couple of favorite DVDs to the con, cross their fingers and go?

The staff gets the footage prepared. This way the amount between the two editors is exactly the same.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:36:28 am »
like people who are intrested e-mail Guy, maybe say what anime they have acess to, and he assigns them a random song and an anime to use, people make the amvs and yo
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:41:56 am »
I'd suggest ripping two full episodes from a single series.  Coin flip to see who gets which episode. Then offer them about 20 various MP3s (short songs like around 3:20 or less) to choose from and give them two hours.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:44:51 am »
Quote from: "Sinaj"
I'd suggest ripping two full episodes from a single series.  Coin flip to see who gets which episode. Then offer them about 20 various MP3s (short songs like around 3:20 or less) to choose from and give them two hours.
Sounds like a great plan.
Contestants can meet - draw lots to determine which set of VOBs they get (all ripped from the same series of DVD's) plus they get a common 'bank' of mp3's of music sound effects - say about 1GB ought to do it, a mix of J-rock/pop, anime music including OP's ED's, plus a selection of other music, and also some sound effects.

Each contestant gets 'the bank' plus ONE of the pre-ripped VOB directories, and "GO!"

-> Do we keep the anime series a surprise? (This might also be a great way to get some exposure to an otherwise great show that's underrated: like, I wonder if Funimation will have released any Glass no Kantai DVD's by then...)

- G

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:45:54 am »
I'd say yes, keep it a surprise. That way the contestants would have to depend on their creative improv. I think if you let them know before hand, they will start piecing together scenarios and have complete ideas for dramas, actions, etc... before the contest even starts.

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:54 am »
There are a couple ways to do it, based of the Iron Chef (if anyone has seen it). In Iron Chef they have the teams set up with their own base items (ingrediants). Then they have the surprise ingrediant introduced. So in essence you can do it a couple ways.

1 : Require them to bring their own music, which they will use in a random anime (assigned at the time of competition by drawing numbers or however).

2 : Require them to bring their own anime, which they will use with a random music provided by you (assigned at competition).

3 : They just show up, both the anime and music is randomly assigned.

All three methods have the ingrediants for Iron Chef. It depends on what you really want to judge. Do you want to judge creative process in applying their favorite music to a random anime. Or do you instead want to see how well they can adapt their anime on random music assigned. Or rather both of them be completely random and see what their creative processes can design.

The easiest is to assign one anime per person. Or you can can maybe make a set that go together theme wise (ie: Mecha, magical girl, sci-fi) so they have multiple anime to pull from to match with the music.

You would also want to come up with the criteria for judging something like:

Creative Process : Creatively using the resources to tell a different story than the actual anime.
Music : Properly matching the scenes to music, either the scenes matching the lyrics and/or rythm.
Overall Performance : How many cut scenes were there? Is it just a few scenes, ran to match with anime, special effects, etc.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
So Far
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 06:26:23 am »
OK:

So far, I like (but am not 'locked on' - we have TONS of time for reviewing this)

- Five directories of pre-ripped VOBS, likely from a slightly lesser-known series,

- One directory of assorted music and sound effects, sorted into subdirectories by genre.

- Contestants (up to 5) meet at T-MINUS FIVE HOURS, to grab a VOB directory and the music directory,

- The final projects are shown as one 'block' of the AMV competition and are part of the balloted voting. That way we can get an audience vote (in other words, a fairly reliable popular estimate) on which project was BEST.

This will make the AMV competition longer, but I also like the idea of an AMV viewing room elsewhere/elsewhen, and if I can get such a room going in addition to the contest, then I can shorten the show to more of a 'best-of-the-best' thing, and run gobs of general AMV's in the other room.

It would also be easy, once the ballot counting is done, to use the viewing room to do stuff like run category winners, & late entries, or (depending on time) a non-balloted version of the whole show so that people with time conflicts could have a chance to see what they've missed or re-watch the ones they liked.

- GLL

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:29:01 am »
So when do they wear the chef hats
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 08:06:16 am »
Quote from: "Vondan"
Wouldn't that count as cosplay?

OK - This would be bad: The AMV editors have to COSPLAY as one of the characters in their works? (Just kidding!) And the Iron chef people have two hours to do the video editing and two hours to whip up a costume?!? (Must use correct machine for each task - Bernina, Janome, and Pfaff do -not- work for stitching audio crossfades together!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 12:20:30 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"
Quote from: "Vondan"
Wouldn't that count as cosplay?

OK - This would be bad: The AMV editors have to COSPLAY as one of the characters in their works? (Just kidding!) And the Iron chef people have two hours to do the video editing and two hours to whip up a costume?!? (Must use correct machine for each task - Bernina, Janome, and Pfaff do -not- work for stitching audio crossfades together!

What about duct tape?  I know back in film school I used Duct tape to splice audio carts.

Von " Back in my day the camera was as big as a suit case and you had to edit with 4 VTR's, scisors and 'special' 5 buck a role scotch tape" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
AMV Iron Chef for 2007?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »
can i be a real iron chef jaz-chan ? i have years of expernce of cooking
and i want to be color which color to be ...??
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids