Author Topic: Cosplay contest. (Define skit...)  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay contest. (Define skit...)
« on: September 08, 2006, 05:55:48 am »
Okay so by skit do you mean that it has to basically be a miniture play? I am intrested in doing a Romance cosplay next year. The Romance outfit comes from PGSM and is what Minako wears on stage during her live concert. So naturally I'd like to sing Romance and do the dance in a group. However, if we did not qualify for a regular skit I'm not sure we'd qualify for a special program either since the dance moves, while increadibly cute, are pretty simple. Also... When you say a special program can't win any awards does that also mean they are exept from the craftsmanship award?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :D

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline shadowsong

• Oni
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:03:27 am »
I can't guarantee this will be the case next year, but in the past and at other cons, singing (and especially if there's dancing as well) is involved enough to bump you out of the walk on category and into the skit category. And even if you don't qualify as a skit for whatever reason, you would still be eligible for costume awards as a walk-on.

I'm not sure what you mean by special program... if you saw that mentioned on the website, can you point me to where it was? My guess would be that special program refers to things like the halftime show or other specifically non-judged skits like executive staff performances. Those sorts of skits, by definition, wouldn't be eligible for any awards.

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:29:16 am »
Quote from: "shadowsong"
I can't guarantee this will be the case next year, but in the past and at other cons, singing (and especially if there's dancing as well) is involved enough to bump you out of the walk on category and into the skit category. And even if you don't qualify as a skit for whatever reason, you would still be eligible for costume awards as a walk-on.

I'm not sure what you mean by special program... if you saw that mentioned on the website, can you point me to where it was? My guess would be that special program refers to things like the halftime show or other specifically non-judged skits like executive staff performances. Those sorts of skits, by definition, wouldn't be eligible for any awards.

http://www.kumoricon.com/?page_id=61 I got all the info on there. ^-^

Okay. I really want to sing on stage. It sounds like it'd be a lot of fun and the dance moves are too cute! X3 (Hence the Romance set.) So it will most likely be considered a skit? That's good. :3

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline shadowsong

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:04:17 am »
it will probably be considered a skit. like i said, no guarantees - you'd have to ask next year's cosplay coordinator when you pre-registered for the contest. you would definitely be eligible for costume and craftsmanship awards even if it was decided that you were a walk-on and not a skit.

and from that website, it looks like special presentations are for people who want to do something more involved than a normal skit, or something that would normally be too long, or just people who want to perform but not be judged. you wouldn't be put into that category unless you requested it.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
skit or not?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:28 pm »
It'll qualify as a skit. I've seen many cosplay acts that have had characters singing and dancing on stage. Some are very entertaining, others not so thrilling.    

Basically, keep the audience entertained, keep it to PG13 (no fanservice or hentai type actions) and don't drag it out too long or get crass.

Most of the time skits are limited to 3 minutes though occasionally there are exceptions to allow large groups a bit more time (but not too much more!!). Sometimes 3 minutes can be a VERY long time.  

The "special performance" is for non-judged acts -- they go on stage and do something interesting, but they are not part of the competition. This is usually an act that's put onto the stage to eat up the time while the judges determine who won or while staff runs around trying to find the prizes (last year we decided the winners in record time, but then it took a while for the prizes to show up ... details details...) Last year the "special performance" was Bakazoku being themselves.