Author Topic: 2006 Karaoke Contest - Feedback  (Read 10746 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2006 Karaoke Contest - Feedback
« on: September 06, 2006, 03:17:27 pm »
We had good turnout for the contests, and everyone was fantastic.  Thanks to all those who participated in the contest, you did a great job :D.

Now we're looking for your perspective:  Did you like it?  Hate it?  What would you like to see differently next year?  Feedback from you is what helps us to make the contest better each year.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:12:13 pm »
I really had a blast this year! The staff was awesome! My one suggestion is for the sound tech to note who is a loud singer and who isn't. Myself, I'm not a loud singer, I have a very soft voice when I sing. My boyfriend recorded a video(he was in the 3rd row) & when I watched it, I could barely hear myself over the music.
I also wasn't sure really if the host was being snarky afterwards with the comment regarding the "lovely rendition of a morning musume song".
I also think some of the performances were out of place and should have been in the hybrid and not the idol.

Offline Rina-chan

• Cabbit
    • http://suzumiya-haruhi.net
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:34:34 pm »
I entered the hybrid contest and enjoyed it quite a lot despite not winning anything *is a terrible singer but likes making song parodies* XD

One thing that needed work though, was volume leveling. Some singers hurt my ears while others I could barely hear above the music. Also, the vocals didn't come thru the monitor during some of the karaoke events which makes it difficult to know how loud you are singing in comparison to the music.

Overall it was good, though. I also liked the fact that they had lots of open mic opportunities.
suzumiya-haruhi.net
Kumori-Con 06: Sakura (Naruto), Haruhi (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 12:15:30 am »
Quote from: "Rina-chan"
I entered the hybrid contest and enjoyed it quite a lot despite not winning anything *is a terrible singer but likes making song parodies* XD

One thing that needed work though, was volume leveling. Some singers hurt my ears while others I could barely hear above the music. Also, the vocals didn't come thru the monitor during some of the karaoke events which makes it difficult to know how loud you are singing in comparison to the music.

Overall it was good, though. I also liked the fact that they had lots of open mic opportunities.

I loved the contests, but I agree with the volumes... there were a couple contestants in both contests I couldn't hear over the music, despite the fact background vocals had been stripped. Take for example those guys screaming at hybrid (the two who did "Garbage" with the girl dressed as Kyo)--I know they were expected to be loud, but the mics were so low I couldn't hear them -at all-.
When I was up there, I don't recall being able to hear myself in the monitor, but it didn't turn out to be a problem. Though I can understand it causing trouble for other performers.

Other than that, I already voiced my concerns on another thread, and appreciate the information you gave me.

Let me end this on a positive note--despite the nit-picky problems, you did an EXCELLENT job organizing the contests. Online sign-ups and auditions were both wonderful ideas, as were keeping under 20 contestants in each contest--it helped them flow much faster.

I will certainly try to participate again next year, simply because it was a lot smoother than Sakura Con's typically wacky contests.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
karaoke
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 10:15:37 pm »
I think everyone did an awesome job this year. It takes guts to go up there and sing..believe me, I know.

*nods* I do agree however with the mic volume/adjustments. I couldn't tell if I was singing loud or soft through where I was generally standing on the stage...*sweatdrop* and that made it a little harder to concentrate I think.

I personally thought I did a horrible job...>.<;; *note: is very self-critical* and I'll make sure I'll do a song more in my range next year....*scurries off to look at Two-mix songs*

But yes, everyone did an awesome job. I loved the contests...it was so much fun to sit through. Arigatou!
-Seguchi-san
P.S. I was the Shuichi that went up and did "Glaring Dream" from Gravitation.
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
Re: karaoke
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 12:54:54 am »
Quote from: "TohmaSeguchi"
I think everyone did an awesome job this year. It takes guts to go up there and sing..believe me, I know.

*nods* I do agree however with the mic volume/adjustments. I couldn't tell if I was singing loud or soft through where I was generally standing on the stage...*sweatdrop* and that made it a little harder to concentrate I think.

I personally thought I did a horrible job...>.<;; *note: is very self-critical* and I'll make sure I'll do a song more in my range next year....*scurries off to look at Two-mix songs*

But yes, everyone did an awesome job. I loved the contests...it was so much fun to sit through. Arigatou!
-Seguchi-san

Aha, I think you did a great job!
The contests were a lot of fun, and I have to reinterate how well thought-out they were, because really, they were. =D It made me happy.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 03:10:18 pm »
Quote from: "SephiChan"

-Seguchi-san

Aha, I think you did a great job!
The contests were a lot of fun, and I have to reinterate how well thought-out they were, because really, they were. =D It made me happy.

Thank you! ^-^;; I loved the skit that our Yuki and Ryuichi did. That made me happy. ^-^
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 03:21:02 pm »
Thank you! ^-^;; I loved the skit that our Yuki and Ryuichi did. That made me happy. ^-^

YES! Okay, I've never seen that anime or anything, but I thought the skit was wonderful. Definatly one of the best acts in the competition. ^_^

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:00:39 am »
I agree that we had some issues with being unable to hear singers over the music (sorry about that, I was still learning  :oops: ) - we will work to rectify that next year.

We are already thinking of some modifcations we will make to the rules to differentiate between the two contests, which will hopefully make things clearer for next year.

You are too hard on yourselves - everyone was really great, I hope we see you again next year  :D.

Thanks for all your feedback, it really helps us out.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Sky

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 08:30:08 pm »
The Karaoke contest kinda ruined the rest of the con for me.
Most people would think that maybe I tried out but didn't make the cut, well, I did make the cut...
However, I didn't know I did until the contest was over.

I did look for my name on the sheet but it wasn't there, turned out they spelled my last name wrong. There was also another girl with my first name...
I found that out the morning after...
Anyway, I say they should be more organized and maybe have better music, maybe music that is actually 'Karaoke' music...
 :|

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 04:24:36 pm »
Quote from: "Sky"
Most people would think that maybe I tried out but didn't make the cut, well, I did make the cut...

I did look for my name on the sheet but it wasn't there, turned out they spelled my last name wrong. There was also another girl with my first name...
Anyway, I say they should be more organized and maybe have better music, maybe music that is actually 'Karaoke' music...

Better music? Providing the music was the contestants' responsibility, not the convention's. And, it was stated in the rules that karaoke versions had to be provied, or they'd strip the vocals, which is what they did.
If you're able to strip the vocals on your own time and test to see how it sounds (like I did, as well as a few others), then it works out.

But, I am sorry to hear about the mishap. I can imagine that was disappointing.

Offline Sky

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 04:28:36 pm »

Better music? Providing the music was the contestants' responsibility, not the convention's. And, it was stated in the rules that karaoke versions had to be provied, or they'd strip the vocals, which is what they did.
If you're able to strip the vocals on your own time and test to see how it sounds (like I did, as well as a few others), then it works out.

Oh, I didn't know that. ^w^
Well, that just goes to show ya' that someday I will be killed for not reading how to disarm a bomb or something. "Hey!? Where are the Pliers?!" "You were supposed to bring your own!" "Oh shi-" BOOM!

And I will win next year, I'm sure of it!
>:3

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 04:30:52 pm »

Well, that just goes to show ya' that someday I will be killed for not reading how to disarm a bomb or something. "Hey!? Where are the Pliers?!" "You were supposed to bring your own!" "Oh shi-" BOOM!

Aw, well, it happens. :3 I know the karaoke people had a good amount of music on their computer, but it was implied that they couldn't gurantee they'd have your song, and it was really up to you to take care of it.
:3 But now, you'll be set for next year.

Offline Sky

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 04:38:28 pm »

Aw, well, it happens. :3 I know the karaoke people had a good amount of music on their computer, but it was implied that they couldn't gurantee they'd have your song, and it was really up to you to take care of it.
:3 But now, you'll be set for next year.
Yeah, but they're pretty strict on what you can sing for the contests... I mean, yeah, it's an anime convention but what cant we sing songs like Geeks In Love or Ultimate Showdown...
I only have one realy song I can sing that fits the requirments. Fukai Mori.

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
Yeah, but they're pretty strict on what you can sing for the contests... I mean, yeah, it's an anime convention but what cant we sing songs like Geeks In Love or Ultimate Showdown...
I only have one realy song I can sing that fits the requirments. Fukai Mori.

They're not -too- strict; you just have to pick something that was created in Japan. It can be from anime, games, movies, jrock/jpop, in English; practically anything, as long as it was originally composed in Japan. :3
And hey, that's what open mic is for--Ultimate Showdown = <3

Fukai Mori is a wonderful song, too.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 05:26:48 pm »
The contest was lots of fun! 8D And I was so excited to had made it to the contest...I could've sworn I had lost it cause I messed up so many times...I was the Tsuzuki who sang "Lost Heaven".

But as someone else had said, I do think the music was a bit loud. Not for me, actually, but one of my friends (who I actually thought sang better than me, although she didn't make it because I was told I had "a strong voice") I couldn't hear very well because she sings more softly than me. So, maybe the voice on the mic could be louder or the music could be softer? I don't know...

Was still lots of fun. And people were filming us...I didn't quite get what that was for. I've heard they're making a DVD? Is this true?
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...