Author Topic: How appropriate is it to sing a song that's not Japanese?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline Krn Doxy

• Cabbit
    • http://myspace.com/krndoxy
How appropriate is it to sing a song that's not Japanese?
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:34:54 am »
I'm in love with Phantom of the Opera and have been told that I sound "just like Christine."  I doubt it, but I wanna see what people think of it.  I can also sing in French.  I really think I should prepare a Japanese song though, since this is a Japanese culture convention.  What do you feel is acceptable?
Only you can see the murky deep.  Only you know my heart.  You understand the way I am as I stare at you from the dark.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:21:16 pm »
The contest requirements are that the song is from a Japanese artist or from anime.  There also will be open mic time, which you could probably use for other music.  I can check with the group running it to see if bringing in other music is possible.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:43:25 pm »
Quote from: "Jamiche"
The contest requirements are that the song is from a Japanese artist or from anime.

Don't forget there's that fine line about "songs in anime."  I remember someone (I think it was Radien?) saying such songs like "Fly me to the moon" would not be accepted last year.

(In case there are those who don't know, "Fly me to the moon" was first sung by Frank Sinatra, fast foward a few decades, then used in Evangelion.)

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
songs in english
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:25:29 am »
Well it is from an anime, so I think Fly Me to the Moon should count.  

But there are several songs in anime originally in English or other languages.  The opening from Black Heaven is in English, for example.
Anipike.com/Ani-maid productions
cosplayer, reporter
Preparing to make a cosplay comeback...

Offline GaleWolf

• Cabbit
    • http://www.karaokekaizokudan.net
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 03:02:32 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
The contest requirements are that the song is from a Japanese artist or from anime.

Don't forget there's that fine line about "songs in anime."  I remember someone (I think it was Radien?) saying such songs like "Fly me to the moon" would not be accepted last year.

(In case there are those who don't know, "Fly me to the moon" was first sung by Frank Sinatra, fast foward a few decades, then used in Evangelion.)

LAST YEAR:
Essentially, if the song was originally composed for the series or originally performed by a japanese artist, then it is okay.

If the song was not originally composed for the series/artist (such as "Fly Me To The Moon" or say, Hyde covering a U2 song) then it was not allowed.

THIS YEAR:
All I should say right now is, stay tuned...
Karaoke Kaizoku-dan: "Under our flag, we sing in freedom..."

Offline cheesethrower

• Cabbit
    • http://cheesethrower.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:24:45 am »
Quote from: "GaleWolf"
Quote from: "Negima"

LAST YEAR:
Essentially, if the song was originally composed for the series or originally performed by a japanese artist, then it is okay.

If the song was not originally composed for the series/artist (such as "Fly Me To The Moon" or say, Hyde covering a U2 song) then it was not allowed.

THIS YEAR:
All I should say right now is, stay tuned...

What about japanese made songs that are in complete english? I know several songs that are like that, mostly from Beat Crusaders. :P

Offline Lizzie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://lizzario.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 09:36:40 am »
I always thought anything in Japanese was okay, and anything with an anime or video game referance. That's how I ran my contest. Stuff like Rocky Horror and Phantom of the Opera I'd save for open mike.

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
Re: How appropriate is it to sing a song that's not Japanese
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 01:14:45 pm »
Quote from: "Krn Doxy"
I'm in love with Phantom of the Opera and have been told that I sound "just like Christine."  I doubt it, but I wanna see what people think of it.  I can also sing in French.  I really think I should prepare a Japanese song though, since this is a Japanese culture convention.  What do you feel is acceptable?

Ditto. I would have been singing Phantom of the Opera acapella as much as I possibly could, but I was told anything that wasn't related to anime or J-pop/rock wouldn't be allowed at all. It's a shame, because this past con I didn't have time to fully prepare an anime song to sing.