Author Topic: Hotel or Home...  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Angelo_Preziozo

• Oni
Hotel or Home...
« on: July 16, 2004, 01:53:36 am »
I have known people that have gone to the Kumoricon, that live where ever it was at, that stayed in the hotel. I know people now that are going to stay in the hotel in Portland even though they live here. That is fine. But if you want to save some money. Just stay home...sorry if you all hate me for saying that. I would understand why you would want to stay in the hotel. So you can stay out late. But me personally, I think I would sleep in my own bed.  :) [/b]

Offline David4516

• Cabbit
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 09:08:06 am »
I'm not sure if I'll make it for 2 days... but if I do I'll probaby just sleep at home...

What does it cost for a hotel room anyway? Is it expensive?

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
    • http://takmai.deviantart.com
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 11:04:21 am »
I'm staying the night of the dance, because I don't want to half to get home afterwards.  :D I wanna stay up all night with my insane friends!
It doesn't matter whether you win or squelch, but how you play the tuba.

Offline skyhawk

• Cabbit
    • http://
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 06:07:10 pm »
With respect, statements like that are detrimental to the survival of the con. If you want Kumori-con to survive, you should try to stay in the hotel. Otherwise, if they don't meet their room block, they could be in serious trouble.

Someone has to sign that hotel contract. Whoever does it, if they don't meet their expenses, they suffer..personally. People have lost their HOUSES or SAVINGS because they didn't make their room block or expenses.

Something for you all to think about if you want Kumori to survive and go on..

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
Wait....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 06:38:50 pm »
Penalty is that high for just not meeting the expectations? I never knew it could be so harsh.  8O
-A.I-

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 08:27:58 pm »
David4516 - If they're still available, the Marriott is doling out con-rate rooms at $89 a night if you give them the group code, which is on the Hotel Info page of this site.

Oubeji - Yup.  If I'm correct, you have to pay for anything on the contract you don't fill out yourself (plus possibly more due to legality clauses and the like).  So let's assume that we take out 1000 rooms (I know for a fact that's way more than we have, but let's go with it for our example).  If congoers were only to fill up 800 of those rooms, the con organizers get to eat the cost of the other 200 rooms themselves....  It may seem unfair, but it's the only way that (1) you get the hotels to give said discounts, and (2) you get the hotel to host it in the first place.

I'm not going to condemn anyone who commutes to the con - hell, I did it last year.  After all, that money thing IS important.  But if you do, you will probably miss stuff.  I didn't leave until around midnite of our first nite last year, and I still came back the next day to hear several stories about things I missed that I wished I hadn't.  I'm personally really glad I'll be in the hotel this year, and probably would fork out the money to stay at the hotel even if it WAS in Eugene/Springfield again.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline David4516

• Cabbit
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 08:33:26 pm »
$89? Thats more than I can afford...  If I can find somebody to split the room with it might work out... but honestly I'll probably just sleep at home.

I'm not trying to be cheap, it's just that I'm a college student and I have almost no money as it is... so spending $89 when I can sleep at home for free isn't sounding like such a good deal for me...

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 11:15:25 pm »
you can sleep up to 4 people in a room... so find 3 friends.  

People have lost a lot from failing to meet room nights.  TolKon ended up about $150,000 in the hole I think... that has to be paid by the organizers.  

Another con I just heard about ended up about $250,000-$400,000 in the hole.

Bad times... if you can, and you really do want to stay for late night fun, rent a room.  it makes the whole con experience a lot more enjoyable when you can stay until 2 or 3, and not have to leave to drive home at 10 or midnight.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline skyhawk

• Cabbit
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 11:05:59 am »
Any idea how you guys are doing on your room block? Does it look pretty good? I think that information is important to know because if you're not, you'd better push hotel rooms like there's no tomorrow. I know the original Kumori-Con contract was crap so hopefully it was corrected enough to keep anyone out of serious trouble :)

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
Meh...
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 01:33:10 pm »
Is it $89 per night? That's little too much for to-be college student with out a job. I seriously need to find one quick!  :(
If I do and I have enough I would like to stay with someone, but with the way things are right now I can't be much of a help.
I never realized there were so much to lost for the hotel cost. The number itself is mind boggling...
*prays for the best for Kumorikon*
-A.I-

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 02:06:57 pm »
I'd get a hotel room, but honestly, I CAN'T. The only reason Dad's taking me to Kumori is because we live about 15-minute drive away from the Downtown Mariott, and if he had to get a hotel room to go, there'd be no way I'd be able to. T_T

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 03:12:49 pm »
lolz i cany get a room either 1st of all im a 12 yeer old girl and i dont have that kinda money i dont live close 2 the con or whatever so its hard 2 be there 4 the whole 3 days unless i had i had a house 2 chill at that lived down there in portland i probobly wouldnt be able  get 2 sleep because i would be 2 excited ^_^ so i would stay up all night any one wanna chill and just stay up with meeh?? oh yea! just dont think of me as a 12 yeer old lolz
MiYaVi

Offline Sahira3x2

• Oni
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 10:52:54 pm »
My friend and I are looking for some people to get a hotel room with... anyone whos willing to do such a thing would be great... email me or send me a message on this forum my private mail thingy or whatever. if anyone could do so it would be much appreciated!  we need 2 other people cause its just the 2 of us so yeah! email me or whatever
Sahira
As i walk throught the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil. For I am Death and this is my Valley.

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 10:41:39 am »
if we did we would have 2 split the pay ryte?? how much would it be???
MiYaVi

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
    • http://takmai.deviantart.com
Hotel or Home...
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 09:14:36 pm »
My mom is the one paying for the room, so if she'll only stay for one night, its the way it goes.  When I can go to cons by myself, you'll have one more person getting a room for every night!!!  I think staying at the hotel makes it seem like you're always at the con, and that is the best.
It doesn't matter whether you win or squelch, but how you play the tuba.

Hotel or Home...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 01:46:03 am »
well my friend and i can't pay for the 2 days hotel room by ourselves so we'd need from 1 to 2 other people in the hotel room with us... i don't know whats goin on my friend and i haven't really talked it out... well that doesn't sound good but once i know whats going on i'll post some more... icky i seem to have gotten sick cause i'm coughing like crazy. anyways i better go now cause i am exhausted! its freaking 3:18 in the morning! i'm dyyyying