Author Topic: Registration: An Apology  (Read 11421 times)

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »
I've been thinking about this since the Saturday of the Con, and thinking about it even more while reading all the posts in Help, Suggestions, Complaints.

I would like to apolgize to all of you con-goers who spent 3 hours in line under a hot sun waiting to enter a con. I am sorry.

I am especially sorry to everyone who pre-registered for the convention and found that it took even longer for you to get in than some of the people who showed up at the door. It is inexcusable.

There are a lot of responses coming from the staff, giving explanations for why it didn't work out, how it was inevitable, or the hotel was to blame, or there weren't enough staff, etc. Ultimately, this is very discouraging to you, our con attendees, because everyone makes it sound like there was nothing we could do to prevent it from happening. That's very scary, because if it wasn't our fault, then that means that it could happen again. Randomly, and you could get screwed again. Why would you want to go to a con like that? I wouldn't. It sucks on so many levels.

So, I am sorry staff, and I hope noone takes this the wrong way, but:
Registration was a failure
We could have prevented it from happening.

This was a failure from the bottom of the chain, to the Registration admins, to the Head of Ops.

I don't want to go into too much detail, because I'm not here to slander anyone. I feel as much to blame as anyone else who was at registration.

But, from the very beginning, we could have gotten more staff members. The fact that there were only 5 people there at the beginning could have been changed, if enough ruckus had been raised. If people can't get into the con, there is no point in setting up panels, or running crowd control. The proper response is to field-promote programming staff and yojimbo wandering around into registration people.

Additionally, those 5 people should only have been doing prereg first, to handle the people that already payed. If you have to choose between people who have already payed, and those who haven't, the choice should be clear.
Later on, there were 10 people in reg. Still, only 4 of those people were on pre-reg, and it should have been exactly the reverse. That's partially my fault (I was one of the 10 at the time). I should have split the two pre-reg badge piles into four piles, and had eight total people be at pre-reg. I thought that there was no way to do that the way it was being run, but thinking back on it, I should have tried harder.

One last time: I am sorry. I believe that this was completely preventable, and that a problem like this won't happen again. One way or another, Registration will be completely turned around next year. I hope that all of you reading this will come back, and are not completely turned off the con based on your experience this year. And please pass this message on to any other con-goer you know. I intend to put my money where my mouth is and run for either registration director or registration assistant, whichever position they will let me take.

Thanks for hearing me out,
Peter Verrey
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
A helpful alternative - let's focus on improvement.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:31:46 pm »
This is Meg. (ecchispice)

You are right. It could, no should, have been run better. It was downright awful, and I take the ultimate responsibility, as it was my show.  I apologize, as well.

But rather than berating people now that the situation is over (not that you did, modab), let's come up with constructive ways to never have it happen again. There is nothing helpful in a defeatist attitude. Nor is there in half assed excuses and blame games.

Those who pre reg have the right to get in early. Those who register at the door have the right to an efficient process.

To that end, quick, timely registration will be the hallmark of Kumoricon 2007. We have the mascot now, and can create all badge designs as soon as publicity begins after elections. (They are in charge of the badge desigs, FYI.) Some ideas that may or may not be feasible, but are worth considering:

* Mailing pre reg badges to their owners. As long as we can make sure the badges are hard to reproduce, I see no reason we can't figure in a bulk stamp for this.

* Making pre reg bages available at meetings and event sponsored by Kumoricon, or where Kumoricon is in attendance. Given a proper printer, we could both register and hand a person a badge at the table at Sakura or Uwajimaya Festival. Again, feasible, given the effort.

* Train all staff at general meeting on the registration process. The biggest part of the problem was that reg was not worked out until the last minute. If we focus on the process at meetings, not only will we be able to run the desk smoothly from the start,  "Field promoting" staff would be a vaible option. (Not such a good idea when people who don't understand the minors policy, etc. are thrown on the desk last minute. I'll actually back that decision.)

* Keeping the line for Friday night early check in open until everyone is in the door. Why not? As long as we open early enough, and can rotate out staff. This will effectively eliminate half of the line. Adult attendees will need only to show their badge, and possibly ID, and will be allowed entry to the con. Minors will have the extra step of the form, but still, it will be faster.  

We actually did this process for badge #1. Her badge was mailed to her, and she walked in without any trouble. We can expand this. We can make it better. But focus on the positive, or we will all be trapped in regret at what should have been.

If all goes well at elections, I'll be happy to have Peter working to make reg better. Thanks for setting us straight in our priorities. ;)

I welcome any other constructive ideas and critism through out the year. (No flaming, please. It's totally unproductive.) This is your con, and you have a right to have it be the best it can.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:27:28 pm »
I do not intend to sound defeatist at all. Indeed, I am committed to making sure there is no problem going forward. I simply wanted to make sure that everyone's biggest gripe was addressed in a clear and honest fashion. I want con goers to be able to trust us, and truly believe that we have their best interests in mind.

Moving forward, I have been working on a draft of at-con registration policies that should address most issues that are possible. I plan to have it for all con-staff and con-goers to peruse, and be in an almost-final form by the General Election on Oct. 28th.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline Adell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:35 am »
I dunno if this suggestion is any help, but maybe have two tables set up instead of just the one for handing out the passes could cut down on time. Like, have them in different locations. Table 1 would be for people who are coming in that day and buying a pass right there, have it located at the front door, while Table 2 would be for those who pre-reg and that could be placed at one of the side entrances. When people are pre-registering, just give a quick layout of directions for where they need to go to pick up their badge.

Or that might be too troublesome. Mailing them would obviously be easier but , like what was mentioned earlier, that increases the chance of people making duplicates to sneak their pals in.

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
Good idea
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:33:01 am »
Thank you for the suggestion! We definitely plan on having different areas for the different registrations next year. Hopefully with multiple tables each!
This year, about 1 1/2 hours into reg, we did separate the two areas, and put pre-reg along the east side of the hotel lobby, instead of the west.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline lucrezia03

• Cabbit
    • http://home.graffiti.net/nimue1540:graffiti.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 10:07:34 am »
The last two Kumoricons that I've been to, my sister and I pre-registered, while our friend didn't. Both years she has gotten into the convention before us(the same happened at Sakura-con). It seems like splitting up the lines into pre-reg and at-door-reg just makes the people who didn't pre-reg get in faster. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that more people pre-register than not, however, it results in those of us who do feeling punished for it. I think the mailing of badges sounds like a good way to reward people for pre-registering.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
(no longer Meg but me again)

I think everyone on staff agrees that we need to make pre-registration worthy of pre-registering, ie, MUCH faster entry than normal registration. While there wasn't before, I think now there definitely is enough interest in mailing out badges, because any sort of at-door badge processing is going to be slow for the pre-registered attendees.

The question for the staff and figuring out registration now becomes, how do we prevent people from making copies? Checking ID with each entry?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 11:10:57 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
(no longer Meg but me again)

I think everyone on staff agrees that we need to make pre-registration worthy of pre-registering, ie, MUCH faster entry than normal registration. While there wasn't before, I think now there definitely is enough interest in mailing out badges, because any sort of at-door badge processing is going to be slow for the pre-registered attendees.

The question for the staff and figuring out registration now becomes, how do we prevent people from making copies? Checking ID with each entry?

Well I'm not sure if this suggestion will help but for instance here at my job to know the difference between a copy and the real deal any signatures are in blue sense when they are copied they come out in black.  Now with color copiers I'm not sure if there maybe a color that copiers have a hard time with.  Also I think if you can get an stamp that puts an inditation into the badge paper that can't be copied.  Sort of like they do for official documents that might work.  They could copy the badge but without the indentation.

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 11:13:23 am »
What about getting some custom-made holographic stickers with the Kumoricon logo and putting one on each official badge?  That'd be almost impossible to copy.  Additionally, sending them out only a week before the con (assuming priority mail) would limit the amount of time people would have to counterfit one.
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 11:32:47 am »
While the idea of mailing out badges sounds good, I forsee lots of missing badges.  Perhaps there could be some sort to temporary badge sent?  or a backup copy provided at con?  I guess I just don't like the idea that my sole way of getting into a con could get easily lost in the mail.  Or, even more likely, left behind or delayed at/getting to my home address, while I'm already on my way to the convention.  Besides, there's something exciting about arriving at the convention, waiting in line, and seeing the badges for the first time.  It would be a little less...connected, if we recieve them individually and can simply walk into the convention as soon as we arrive.  Maybe that's just me, though.

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:55:18 am »
Quote from: "Rushifa"
While the idea of mailing out badges sounds good, I forsee lots of missing badges.  Perhaps there could be some sort to temporary badge sent?  or a backup copy provided at con?  I guess I just don't like the idea that my sole way of getting into a con could get easily lost in the mail.  Or, even more likely, left behind or delayed at/getting to my home address, while I'm already on my way to the convention.  Besides, there's something exciting about arriving at the convention, waiting in line, and seeing the badges for the first time.  It would be a little less...connected, if we recieve them individually and can simply walk into the convention as soon as we arrive.  Maybe that's just me, though.

Well they could make it so that if you want to have it mailed to you, you pay a 1 dollar extra charge and it gets mailed to you.  If you want to pick it up you can do that to.  That way it gives people an option.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 11:55:28 am »
(i dont think any aplagee needs to be met exept by red lion)
thing is i dont know if its just me but i always get my mail school bills postcards late,
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:43:28 pm »
One of my previous jobs required us to work a large convention (around 9000 people and growing) once a year. We handled registrations this way...

For people that pre-registered, we mailed them out their badges ahead of time with names pre-printed on them (with a printer, not hand written). They can be run up to 6 badges per sheet of 8.5 x 11 I think (haven't measured it exactly). And they can just be printed as the pre-reg comes in.

If they mis-placed their badge(s) before the con, they had to pay $5 for a new badge. We kept an alphabetized list on our system (computer network) of all those that pre-reg'd so we could look them up to double check at the con. This would be easy to do with a printed list of pre-reg'd people as well. Just look up their names, verify with ID, take a small replacement fee, and get them a new badge.

To prevent anyone from trying to duplicate the badges beforehand, we can use a multitude of different things. Someone mentioned stickers which is a good idea. I believe any type of foil/reflective sticker will photocopy as a solid image, making it easy to notice at a glance.  Buying a little cheap stamp embosser is good too because it will give the badge a texture which is extremely hard to duplicate. Another idea is too use card stock that is either watermarked, or a unique color/texture.  The badge could also be watermarked when the name is printed on it as well.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:46:40 pm »
What do other cons do - we should instigate a "quick and dirty" survey to find out - just shoot out some emails.

I think the last con I went to just had a huge amount of help - multiple tables divided alphabetically maybe? - they were larger and in a convention center, so the situation was slightly different (more room to corral people in the "ratmaze type" type of line - backandforthandback). Also, because I and about 15 friends registered as a group, one guy was able to stand in line and pick up tickets for everyone which was really cool.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 01:02:33 pm »
I was just checking through a few con web pages (AWA, Otakon, Bakuretsu Con, Anime Vegas, AnimeFest, Anime Expo) and they all have pre-registrated attendees pick up their badges at the con. Most let folks pick them up for a few hours the night before, and some had special locations at the con for pre-reg pick up. I have yet to find one that mails them out ahead of time. Maybe the answer is just have a dedicated and clearly marked pre-reg line.

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 01:07:45 pm »
Quote from: "Sinaj"
I was just checking through a few con web pages (AWA, Otakon, Bakuretsu Con, Anime Vegas, AnimeFest, Anime Expo) and they all have pre-registrated attendees pick up their badges at the con. Most let folks pick them up for a few hours the night before, and some had special locations at the con for pre-reg pick up. I have yet to find one that mails them out ahead of time. Maybe the answer is just have a dedicated and clearly marked pre-reg line.

Nothing wrong with being different.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 01:15:11 pm »
I totally agree. By saying that I didn't mean we shouldn't, just that we would be setting a precident for other cons to follow ^.~

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 01:24:52 pm »
Having some special stickers made up would probably be the best way to make badges official and hard, if not impossible, to duplicate. I think mailing them in advance would be great, just set a cut off date. Perhaps about a month before the con, if you do the last second pre-reg, you have to pick up the badge on site. That should cover slow postal services and lost badges.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 01:37:32 pm »
Stickers would be cheapest if we didn't have them custom-made. I was looking at custom made foil stickers and they run just under $200 for 2000 stickers.

A hand embosser (such as this kind for example) is a fraction of that cost and has many different pictures to choose from. Each out-going pre-reg badge could be embossed in the corner before going out.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 11:27:11 am »
Stickers would be cheapest if we didn't have them custom-made. I was looking at custom made foil stickers and they run just under $200 for 2000 stickers.

A hand embosser (such as this kind for example) is a fraction of that cost and has many different pictures to choose from. Each out-going pre-reg badge could be embossed in the corner before going out.

I like both these ideas and I don't know about budget, but $200 doesn't seem like that much. It would be easier to spot than an embossing when people come in (unless we fondle each of their badges which I don't think would go over too well :-) ) That doesn't address the "it got lost in mail" situation tho.

I was rather frightened to see the line on Friday night. A lot of people staying at the hotel or driving up especially for the point of picking up their badge had to wait. That was a line made completely of prereg people - maybe if we had a few rooms avalible a the hotel (divided alphabetically a-g, h-m,n-z or something like that) and signs pointing people towards them, we would be able to have 1.) more space to work with the crowds 2.) a way to divide and conquer.

Anway, just brainstorming here. ...

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
Mailing out badges beforehand...
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 01:43:46 pm »
I have been thinking about mailing out badges beforehand for awhile. It sounds like a great idea at first, but there are numerous hurdles to overcome.

First, the counterfeiting issue.
Second, simply giving one badge to another person.
Third, dealing with guardians.

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Wait, hear me out!
People are still going to have to stand in line to get in, if only so we can check their id to prove they are not a minor. And also to prove their id ain't a counterfeit (we will have to examine it closely for the embossing and what not). And finally to prove that their id and badge names actually match. And that they have their acting guardian with them.

See, I think we can still get pre-reg through the door *5* times faster (45 minutes max instead of 3 hours) fairly easily just by changing the rules around, and still give out badges at the door. Here are some of the changes I am considering:
Give everyone their badge *number* ahead of time, so that they know they are officially in the system (no missing badges!), but they won't have a chance to counterfeit anything.
Have the parental consent /reg form be all one paper.
Sort badges by number, instead of name, so that moving through a pile is easier.
Have many more stacks of badges than just 2, (I'm talking 16 piles minimum, so that it can scale to 16 staffers if necessary).
Have someone with a computer in front so that pre-reggers who forgot their number can look it up before they get to the badge pile.
Have separate staffers to check ids and deal with consent forms.
And finally, staff and fill pre-reg *before* we deal with at-the-door purchases. I'm talking we start pre-reg checkins at 7am, and at-the-door at 8am.

Sound good to anyone?

This is not to say that we won't mail out badges, just that either way, we will make the pre-reg process much much better.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
Re: Mailing out badges beforehand...
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 02:31:43 pm »
Sounds great but with one snag.  If the badges are not in alphabetical order all it takes is for that one person who does not remember their number.

Quote from: "modab"
I have been thinking about mailing out badges beforehand for awhile. It sounds like a great idea at first, but there are numerous hurdles to overcome.

First, the counterfeiting issue.
Second, simply giving one badge to another person.
Third, dealing with guardians.

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Wait, hear me out!
People are still going to have to stand in line to get in, if only so we can check their id to prove they are not a minor. And also to prove their id ain't a counterfeit (we will have to examine it closely for the embossing and what not). And finally to prove that their id and badge names actually match. And that they have their acting guardian with them.

See, I think we can still get pre-reg through the door *5* times faster (45 minutes max instead of 3 hours) fairly easily just by changing the rules around, and still give out badges at the door. Here are some of the changes I am considering:
Give everyone their badge *number* ahead of time, so that they know they are officially in the system (no missing badges!), but they won't have a chance to counterfeit anything.
Have the parental consent /reg form be all one paper.
Sort badges by number, instead of name, so that moving through a pile is easier.
Have many more stacks of badges than just 2, (I'm talking 16 piles minimum, so that it can scale to 16 staffers if necessary).
Have someone with a computer in front so that pre-reggers who forgot their number can look it up before they get to the badge pile.
Have separate staffers to check ids and deal with consent forms.
And finally, staff and fill pre-reg *before* we deal with at-the-door purchases. I'm talking we start pre-reg checkins at 7am, and at-the-door at 8am.

Sound good to anyone?

This is not to say that we won't mail out badges, just that either way, we will make the pre-reg process much much better.

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 02:49:44 pm »
Sounds great but with one snag. If the badges are not in alphabetical order all it takes is for that one person who does not remember their number.

:-) That's why I said there would be this position as well!

Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 03:04:08 pm »
Quote from: "modab"
Sounds great but with one snag. If the badges are not in alphabetical order all it takes is for that one person who does not remember their number.

:-) That's why I said there would be this position as well!

My bad :-)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 06:39:36 pm »
Honestly I think doing it how Sakura-con did it this year would work very well, as long as we have the room for it.

Have 1 line that seperates into 3-4 different lines (when they get right by the reg booths), seperated by letter.

Like A-F, G-N, O-T, U-Z, something like that.

Do that for both pre-reg AND reg. Saturday morning start pre-reg a half hour to an hour early if we have to.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 06:46:11 pm »
Having worked with registration and staff at DragonCon awhile back I can honestly say that the percentage of people that actually make counterfit badges is very small. It isn't even 1% of the total attendees that use counterfit badges, at smaller cons the % can be higher but it by far doesn't even go near 5%.

Preventing counterfit badges is very easy. For one pre-registered badges are completely different color/look than regular badges. Individual day badges are also different in color, each color represents the particular day a day badge is good for. It costs pennies on the dollar to include a watermark into the badges. The watermark makes it easy to spot badges. For night time events like the dance, you can even stamp the badges (before they are released) with a black light stamp. So you have a couple con people with a black light which can be used to quickly verify counterfits.

ID should always be checked with pre-reg and registered forms. To make it easier to spot which ones you have to really pay attention too, all parent consent forms should be a different color. Regular forms white, parent consent forms yellow or pink (just an example). Both forms have parent consent form on it along with registration info so there aren't multiple forms. On the back is simply the fine print which should be on it, saying that Kumoricon is not responsible for anyone who gives their badge to someone else, forged signature, etc. This removes Kumoricon from responsibility if someone had their friend forge a guardians' signature, pretend to be one, etc as well as if someone gives their badge to a friend. All parent/guardians must be at the line with the child, verified ID and match signatures to ensure someone just didn't sign it and send them in line.

Pre-Registrations are mailed out 3 weeks in advance to the Convention. They aren't mailed out in different batches, they are mailed all at once together. This ensures those that pre-register first faster access. There are two pre-reg lines. One for those that haven't been picked up, one for those that were mailed. They show up, verify ID and they can go. Since there is no finding badges because they'll have theirs, things move faster.

Badges should not be kepted by number. It is much more difficult to keep track of it. If anything keep everything in an excel spreadsheet and laptop at the main desk. You can then re-organize it by alpha order or badge number. However for ease everything should be dependant on alphabetical order. All bags for Pre-Reg are created before hand, badge information attached to the bag and it placed in a box/file area for that particular name in alphabetical order. They are all kept behind pre-reg line with a clear path to make it easier for those that are doing pre-regs to quickly go to the correct letter, find the bag and pull it for the attendee.

Keep in mind though that just because someone pre-registers, it doesn't necessarily mean they will get in before someone that has not pre-registered. If you have 2000 people that pre-register and 1000 don't, you can bet that the 1000 will be done before the 2000 will be. Where pre-registering is a benefit is for those that do so before the deadline and have their badges mailed out, that is what really streamlines the process.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 06:50:51 pm »
Quote from: "Trumby"
Honestly I think doing it how Sakura-con did it this year would work very well, as long as we have the room for it.

Have 1 line that seperates into 3-4 different lines (when they get right by the reg booths), seperated by letter.

Like A-F, G-N, O-T, U-Z, something like that.

Do that for both pre-reg AND reg. Saturday morning start pre-reg a half hour to an hour early if we have to.
That is how we've done it at DragonCon as well. Pre-Registration though can be picked up the night before as well as starts 2 hours earlier than Registration. By the time Registration starts most of the con attendee's, espcially those staying at that particular hotel, will have picked theirs up. Then any letters where there are shorter lines, they'll take spill over. When pre-reg starts to look like there are are small amount of people, those resources are then shifted to registration (meaning those working at pre-reg go to help registration).

Essentially when we worked registration you knew you were going to be there for 4-5 hours. That was how our shifts were set up. If you wanted to be a particular panel, then you had to have notification sooner so someone could slide in and cover your spot with advanced notice.

How the line is split up if it is into 2, 4, 6, etc by last name is dependant of course of how the names look before the con starts. For example if there are even amount of people then 4 categories are good. If there are more people with M-Z, then A-L is 1 line while M-Z might be split into two lines M-T, U-Z (as an example).

The main thing is registration needs to be handled in a very large room, not in the hallways. It doesn't cost very much to get roped off dividers, these can be used to herd the lines. For example in Registration this year, that whole section should of been roped off so the line was up against the wall. That way it was seperated from the passing traffic.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 11:53:41 pm »
I have yet to find one that mails them out ahead of time. Maybe the answer is just have a dedicated and clearly marked pre-reg line.

While it's a HUGE comparison, I went to the Star Wars Episode 2 Celebration Con in 2002, and that con pre-mailed their reg badges.  And I most certainly DID NOT lose my badge for that con.  *L*

We are no where close to that sort of scale, but just wanted to note that I've seen it done successfully.  ^_^
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 02:49:56 am »
Dear Peter,

As your the person who started this thread, I wanted to address this directly to you.

THANK YOU.

You are right on all the points you made, and the people attending the con that went through so much trouble getting their badges needed an apology from us as staff.  I'm going to join you, as one of the people attempting to do reg on both Sat and Sun, in this apology.

To all of the attendees, I am sorry as well.

I said it so often to every person I talked to while actually registering them, but I actually forgot to extend apologies in the forum itself, and they did deserve to hear it again.

From the moment the con ended, it was my feeling that these people deserved to hear explainations for why and what needed to be done to fix this in the future.  But they also needed apologies.

Thank you for stepping up to give them.

Vallie
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »
OK, there's plenty of ways mailing the badges and making the badges and puting the badges in boxes by name or number can be good and bad.

The people waiting in line don't usually complain about their badges being lost or having to wait for their badge specifically. They complain about the line.

I know that being super organized is a step towards efficiency and that makes the lines faster. I think that just making a better LINE would make the common attendee, both pre-reg and non, stop complaining.

As soon as the hotel is selected and the contract is signed the staff, not just Ops, need to scout the place out. Several times during the convention I was the one telling staffers where stuff had been moved to because I had done the Boy Scout thing and explored all the nooks and crannies of the place the on my first visit.

As much as I disliked the Marriot it had a very good layout for the reg lines. Pre-reg on the left, New Arrivals on the right. The Doubletree had the shade of the carpark and the bridge to help keep the line cool. The Red Lion only had good spots for the line out back along the balconies, which would have been a major pain for the attendees to find. The path the line took was natural and easy to find but it wasn't pleasant.

If the next hotel does not have a place that serves the purpose of a lineup well then we need to try and get the main hall set up for this purpose as soon as possible on Friday. Then we'd have space, indoors, with prebuilt rows (of chairs) and all we'd need to add is propper signage to get people over there from the front desk.

Signage is a whole other job to be discussed in another thread.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2006, 05:30:12 pm »
Yeah, I had my badge mailed for Kumori and it made the process MUCH smoother for me to say the least. PAX mailed their badges this year as well and I think it's a good solution to the prereg issues.

My badge for Kumori this year (as well as the ones I mentioned for PAX) were both vinyl badges which makes them harder to reproduce. I think making them in this manner and sending them out a month or less before the con would make it very difficult for the average person to copy. Yes, there will be some with friends at Kinkos or some place that can still copy them, but I'm sure even with people picking up badges the day of the con there's still some being copied (a color copier would suffice for those paper printed ones and that can even be done at home for most) and this would make it more difficult and more expensive for them to do so.

Also, if you put down copyright information on the badge and something warning people not to reproduce it that may deter most legitimate businesses from making copies for people as well.

Also, since the badges are individually numbered, that would also make it more difficult for them to forge if someone were to really investigate...

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 07:27:54 pm »
Okay, the thing is...the line.

It was one of the longest waits I've ever gone through...but it happens to also be one of the best.  That's all thanks to the Ouran fans that kept me entertained (xD) by coming up, talking to me, and taking pictures.  It was so awesome to be recognised even while in the line...
(<3@Youguys! <3!)

As one of many Con virgins that went this year, I don't know how other Cons are run.  But I do know that I definitely want to come back because of the great experience I had.

...Even though I had to wake up at 7 am (That's early for me, trust me on that.) at my house in Salem, get ready by 9, then make the one hour long commute all weekend.
I was tired, I was unhungry, I got grumpy sometimes and lost my temper with people (er...make that the friend I brought with me), but it was one of the best things I've ever experienced.  <3

I'm so glad that my first Con was KumoriCon.
<3

Okay, I'm done now.  >>
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: A helpful alternative - let's focus on improvement.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2006, 09:16:50 pm »
* Making pre reg bages available at meetings and event sponsored by Kumoricon, or where Kumoricon is in attendance. Given a proper printer, we could both register and hand a person a badge at the table at Sakura or Uwajimaya Festival. Again, feasible, given the effort.

This could be very do-able at a summer LANime before the con.  We would have plenty of space for that and it could get a bunch of locals their badges early.  

We are always ready to help in any way at our events to help you guys with whatever you need.   :D
The trick is not minding.

Offline State Alchemist

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 03:47:36 pm »
I don't know if someone already brought this up. (I'm just too lazy to read all the posts) But I don't think mailing is such a good idea. I don't trust the mailing system. I mean I'm not sure if my check was MIA in the mail or was lost after Reg. had it. But mailing is a little risky.

Why not do something like E-mailing a badge image type thing with your name on it. Then you have to print it out and take it to the con. Now I know faking it is easy, but that's when you give registration your printed one, they check their lists AND your ID. If you're on and you're you then you'll get your real badge and walk happily about.

Or something like that. ^^;
Wut?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 03:49:41 pm »
That would bring up the issue of replication. Digital images can be easily altered. While badges mailed out with a custom Holo foil sticker would be far harder to rep
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline State Alchemist

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 03:59:56 pm »
I'm well aware of that. It's just I really don't trust the mailing service and I don't want to register again. *sniff* I lost $40.00 that day because my check went all missing and stuff. I'm not blaming anyone because I know not whose fault it is. It could be a postal problem or an orginization problem with registration. Plus I don't want to see anyone else go through what I had to go through.
Wut?

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 04:28:26 pm »
While the mail system does have problem from time to time, you didn't lose that $40 if it got lost in the mail, State Alchemist.  No one would have cashed it, so you can void it with the bank.  :wink:

I'm all for the mailing of pre-reg badges at least a month before hand.  Some of us are coming from farther away than others, and wouldn't be able to attend a pre-reg event.  Though those of us coming from further away would have to deal with remembering our badges before traveling all the way to the Con.  :lol:
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline State Alchemist

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 04:40:56 pm »
princessfrodo:

Well I don't know where it got lost. So there is a 50% chance I did loose $40.00. Plus voiding costs me $20.00. So I'm not even going to bother.
Wut?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 05:03:15 pm »
As far as mailing out badges goes, PAX does it, this year I think they mailed out around 4500 badges.

They sent out a reminder e-mail about a month before mailing out badges asking if people updated their mailing address (which I have every year, curse all this moving around!).  If people leave their badges at home, they can pick one up from registration.  They probably woun't have the nifty ones that were mailed out to you, but it should let you in the convention.
~Sean Larson~

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 05:24:56 pm »
Quote from: "State Alchemist"
princessfrodo:

Well I don't know where it got lost. So there is a 50% chance I did loose $40.00. Plus voiding costs me $20.00. So I'm not even going to bother.

Wow. You can't be bothered to 1) check to see if your money was lost, or 2) save yourself $20 by voiding a check. Do me a favor and send me forty bucks, it sounds like you won't miss it.
2008 Facilities Liaison