Author Topic: Fanart Choices: Popular Series vs. Personal Favorites  (Read 4380 times)

Offline OtokoNoShufu

• Sailor Scout
Fanart Choices: Popular Series vs. Personal Favorites
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:10:44 pm »
I was kinda curious as to whether other artists doing artist alley tend to draw stuff from series they think will sell well or go with stuff that they really like.  

Last year was my first artist alley ever and though partially due to poor planning on my part which found me on a waiting list (Thanks again, Eric, for helping me out on that part), I didn't sell too much.  I went in kinda doing fanart of series that I liked rather than popular series that I wasn't too familiar with.  My batch from last year included lots of Darkstalkers, King of Fighters and a couple of Kingdom Hearts prints.  I think I made $25 that weekend.  Did Alley again at SakuraCon and still went with the formula of what I liked, but did a few that I thought would do well.  Still not great.  

For this KumoriCon, I've done a couple of actual anime series since I kinda found I fell into the trend of video game characters.  I've got 2 xxxHolic prints, 1 Gankutsuou print, and a couple for Kingdom Hearts 2, one for Ouendan and keychain prints for Ouendan, Phoenix Wright (Gyakuten Saiban) and KH2. ^ ^;  

So yeah... How do other artists out there decide what to prepare for Artist Alley?
Am I on one of those hidden camera shows?