Author Topic: BESM D20 Survey  (Read 16803 times)

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
BESM D20 Survey
« on: July 08, 2004, 03:06:30 pm »
Please note that this poll will likely affect exactly which BESM genre(s) will be available for play at Kumoricon this year.

Feudal Fantasy - Feudal Japanese style setting such as Ruroni Kenshin or Inu Yasha.  Supernatural situations optional.  There will also be an L5R game being run by Nyco27, so this genre will be covered one way or another.

Mecha - Like the Gundam series.  Do I really need to explain this one?

Magical Girl - Likely modern setting with all sorts of cheesy Sailor Moon knockoff goodness.

Modern Fantasy - Modern setting plus nifty supernatural yumminess.  

Modern Action - Again, I don't think I need to explain this one.  Fast cars, big guns, all the good stuff (but likely no mecha).

Alternate Dimensional Travel - Mundane peoples/students sucked into another dimension and learning how to cope.  Think El Hazard.

Suggestions also welcome, but if you're one of those who ARE interested in RPing, get your opinion in, since these things can take time to prepare.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 08:30:55 pm »
Since i've played almost all the other genres in other games (OK, the dimensional travel was indeed a BESM game) I'm voting for Magical Girl/Boy. It'd be the only genre where I wouldn't be stuck thinking of other games I've played.

I think that a team of Magical Students would be excellent for a one/two shot game. Especially after I get done helping sailornaboo with the slumber party.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 12:00:07 pm »
...Magical Girl would be pretty fun for a one-shot, I'd have to agree... It's so zany, it just might work!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 12:21:14 am »
Viva La Fille Magical!

If we have 4 votes already we almost have a whole squad!
This is gonna be so cool.......

You know, I wouldn't mind connecting Magical Girls and Mecha, we could be like a girly Volrton or something............. with one token dude that everyone thinks is gay......
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:57:13 am »
I call the role of airheaded leader's jerk of a best friend! XD

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 09:09:02 pm »
Quote from: "RebeccaLynne"
I call the role of airheaded leader's jerk of a best friend! XD

If you do make that character let me know, I'll steal Pezcat's catgirl race stats... lol

Mwahahaha!

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
Mecha
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 02:11:44 am »
An issue I feel so strongly about I had to register just to vote! Mecha! o_o

Always wanted to take part in a mecha-based campaign, and I'm interested in the new D20 rules for BESM... hmmm. If it ends up being Magical Girl I'm not the least bit interested, though (No offense intended towards anyone who enjoys the genre).

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 02:56:35 pm »
It's entirely possible that both genres will show up if I have enough time to prepare for a game of both... particularly if those remain close to each other over the next week or so.

Good gravy... August already.  WAY too much to do.

PezCat

=^..^=

Offline Seiyoung

• Oni
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 02:00:24 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Viva La Fille Magical!

If we have 4 votes already we almost have a whole squad!
This is gonna be so cool.......

You know, I wouldn't mind connecting Magical Girls and Mecha, we could be like a girly Volrton or something............. with one token dude that everyone thinks is gay......

lol, now that sounds like an interesting combonation there.  Im sure I can work with anything :) assuming of course I manage to make it to the RPG area... :P

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 12:47:17 am »
Hmm... I would vote for just straight fantasy, but when I think of Japanese feudal fantasy all that comes to mind is Inu Yasha... and Inu Yasha's is not a world I'd want to role-play in. I much prefer the "European society imitation but with Japanese weapons and personalities"...

Actually, I'd like the magical girl genre, but it seems these inevitably become Sailor Moon-ish, and I dislike Sailor Moon roleplaying because of the goofy schoolgirl theme (both costume and plot focus), and the Power Rangers-style battles... >_< Yeah, that's right. Give me Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne any day.

LOL... Giant Mecha + Magical Girl would be an awesome mix...

For some reason it bugs me, though, when everyone is playing girls. I don't even mind gender-bending while role-playing. But if practically no one of either gender is roleplaying a guy, it just gets... well... weird. :?

I seriously want to try BESM some day, but if I don't get my genre of choice, my second preference would be to go all-out with an "anything goes" multi-genre game. I'm not sure how hard that'd be to make into a one-shot, though. ;)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:00 pm »
Okay, this poll has been up long enough, and the votes that I'm counting are in.  And the top three vote getting genres will all be played at the con.

And much as it may be an entertaining concept, sorry guys, Magical Runt and Mecha will not be intermingled... not by any game I run, at any rate.  Just too much to do to make that a workable concept.  At some point during the con, however, there will be a session of each of Mecha BESM and Magical Runt BESM, as well as an L5R game for you feudal fantasy buffs.  That's in addition to any others that are also brought by people other than myself or Nyco (i.e., I heard rumor of someone bringing a Slayers game, and also of a D&D game as well...).

The people have spoken.  And now the GMs shall lose sleep in preparation. Bring your dice, suckas!

PezCat

=^..^=

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 10:53:27 pm »
Aww... The fantasy game isn't being done in BESM?!  That puts me in kind of a quandry, because I wanted to play a real BESM game... :?

Oh well... I might get in on the Magical Runt game (kinda like that name; nicely sarcastic) if it isn't just a Sailor Moon carbon copy (sorry moonies).

The upside is that I can harrass Pezcat in person for genre information. ;)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
BESM D20 Survey
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 02:39:07 pm »
Feel free to harass, Radien.

Here's the downside to the Magical Runt game, Rads (I like that name too... I can use "runt" to refer to both genders, and it's my affectionate term for childlike thingies... too much WH40K Ork playing for me):  The Sailor Senshi do exist.  Here's the upside:  They're retired.  The characters may make a cameo appearance for my own amusement, but they're hardly going to be major.  But, since I am a Sailor Moon - or rather Sailor Mars - fan myself, I had to at least give them a brief guest shot.

As for a BESM D20 fantasy game, I just don't think I can pull it - at least, not at the con this year.  I'm going to have to create roughly 30 character sheets or similar items as it is, not counting several maps and storylines, and that's just for 2 games (I'll be able to field up to 9 players in either game the way I'm building it).  If I add a 3rd one in there, I might have to sacrifice the time necessary to breathe in order to do it.   However, since after talking to Nyco today, the Slayers game is also a go, that may be in a BESM or similar system... though I can't speak for that one myself.

If the RP sessions are even close to as fun as they were last year, this'll be good.

EDIT:  Haha!  Death to the evil double postiness!

PezCat

=^..^=