Author Topic: Online Abuse Help  (Read 5683 times)

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Online Abuse Help
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:22:17 pm »
I have a live journal.  It's mostly full of rants, ravings, and other nonsense that I just post to have fun or blow off some steam online.  

Unfortunatly I seem to have collected a cyber stalker, and am unsure as to HOW to get rid of them without disabling anonomous reviewers.  Several of my friends neither want, nor can, get a live journal, and I like them posting replies.

If anyone can help, the IP of the stalker in question is 24.16.129.60, but comcast is unsure as what to do because there are no clear laws on verbal abuse online. >.<

The person also claims to rape cats, which is just mean!!! >.<

If anyone can help with any advice as to what to do about them to make them go away, I'd be more than happy to thank you with... errr... a thank you! ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 06:30:58 pm »
While I am not the most LJ literate person in the world (I'm still trying to figure out how to do cuts), you might be able to ask LiveJournal if there's a way to block specific IPs from posting in your journal.

Additionally, I think there may also be a way to turn off unregistered comments without making your posts "for friends only."  Then if they have to be logged in to post, you may be able to just block the individual user... but those are only ideas, I don't know exactly how cooperative LJ is in that realm.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Mapoosa

• Oni
    • http://
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 05:50:34 am »
It is very common for people to have LJ accounts only for the purpose of reading other people's friends-only posts.  Think of it has having a login to your journal, not having their own.

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
Mwah...poor cat..
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 08:23:58 am »
Kitty... ;_;
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
    • http://takmai.deviantart.com
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:28:09 am »
Isn't there a way to delete posts if you want to?  ...I've never had that happen to me.  Its really mean putting nasty messages up!  :3 That's why I like this board.  No one's made fun of me!
It doesn't matter whether you win or squelch, but how you play the tuba.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:04:52 pm »
block the ip if u can if not grab soem friends and dos the tard

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 10:34:13 pm »
This is really too bad and I don't have any advice for you. However, if you see "tee_moss" on your LJ don't be scared, it's me.

I've been known to stalk friends of friends on LJ, but I only go to the extent of puting them on my friends list without them knowing me.

I hope he gets taken care of.

BTW, I'd like to add you to my friends list. If you comment in my journal somewhere I will add you! due to your problem I understand youre not giving out your LJ login.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Xella

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Crazy Shirt Lady
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 02:40:55 pm »
I've had the same problem—I'm VERY free with giving out my LJ username (not that it's hard to guess: it's http://xella.livejournal.com X);; and a lot of 'tards from school and elsewhere like to be cruel to me online as well as off.

It used to be that if you deleted a comment by a given person, you were given the option of blocking that user, only when it was an anon comment, it would be blank.  I found that it still worked... but it doesn't anymore.

My suggestion is to turn of anon comments for a few days... it might be necessary to do so for a week or more, depending on how frequent your particular crazy is.  It'll be nasty for those friends who do comment anonymously, and for some reason can't get one (under 13, perhaps? Coz' I know the LJ invite system is gone, thank the gods @o; *was getting so many "hey can u give me a lj coed thx!!!!111eleventyfork" emails because she's a permament account*), but as LJ won't take any steps for you with anon harassers (see here if you haven't already) you're going to have to do it yourself.

I think the above link (FAQ #109) has a link to some steps you can take to find and report to their ISP directly.  My advice is that if you take that route, be firm about what it is you want—their abusive behaviour to stop—and make sure that their ISP at least warns them that this is a) inappropriate behaviour, and b) lets them know that it won't be tolerated.  Hey, they might even give you contact information so you can do it yourself.

Because as far as I~ see it (and their ISP should see the same way I do or they're stupid X3;) online abuse is no different than sending anonymous letters through the mail—it's ABUSE.  Plus the raping cats thing... that's like a federal offense, non? (Not to mention absolutely enraging =D;;)  And if you're not going to say abuse, you can still say spam—coz' they ARE spamming you and that's not cool.

As for the LJ cut...

<lj-cut text="What the cut will say">The text behind the cut =D</lj-cut>

"text=""" can be left out if you just want the default whatever, I believe, but people tend not to click links that say "Read more..." Oo;;

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 09:51:21 pm »
Just set it so that your LJ comments display IPs, get the forker's IP address, and block him - you can do that, it should be under the LJ FAQ somewhere.

If his IP isn't static, though, you're in trouble. :|

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 09:56:46 pm »
...forker... ::snicker::

Some people can be really mean!  Being mean isn't nice! ><

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 09:57:36 pm »
Quote from: "Takmai"
...forker... ::snicker::
Hey! There might be kids here!

...ignore the fact I'm only fifteen.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 11:33:36 pm »
The problem was taken care of most effitiantly by some kind, slightly too male, people on another board. (Something about defending the few real females online came up, and a few bored people with access to a computer ^.^; )

And then comcast cut off his service, so he won't annoy me or my friends online anymore! ^.^ (Apparently he was bothering more than a few of my friends online, and that's how he found me. >.< )
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
Online Abuse Help
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 07:55:45 am »
Good!  I'm glad he won't bother you anymore! ^_^