Author Topic: Cosplay Guns  (Read 5507 times)

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:07:08 am »
I had a huge thread going about this on the Sakuracon forums, but now the topic is being changed a little bit.

I bought two toy guns (non-projectile) from a website and painted them black and white (names are Ebony and Ivory) for my Dante cosplay.  They were peacebonded to my holster, and at the convention I was told that I could only take them out in the photoshoot room.

However, at Sakuracon, I saw FF-X2 Summoner Yunas and other characters with similar guns wielding them freely for pictures and whatnot everywhere.

What is Kumoricon's policy?  Personally, I'd like to be able to pose with Ebony and Ivory everywhere other than the photoshoot room.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:31:40 am »
I seem to remember things needing a weapon tag....or at least don't use them as a weapon...

Only person i saw get in trouble was a guy dressed as zabuza 'cause he was being a little too wild with his giant sword.....thing (I don't know what it's called)

prolly with guns though you need a weapon tag...or something that shows that they're fake/not loaded....

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:35:53 am »
Yeah, at Sakuracon they attached bright green ribbon to them, but in addition to that they ziptied them to my holsters.

Maybe people just hate Dante...>.>
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:46:49 am »
I'm not Yojimbo but they probably will not approve of what those other people were doing while posing. If you get caught, you could be thrown out of the convention.

That's why I stopped going in cosplay. I couldn't get 15 feet without being asked to stop and pose.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:53:13 am »
What about my tool belt at my panal and at my vender booth as I may do making things on the spot.  I always carry scissors, at lest one x-acto knife and a punch like an ice pick
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:13:39 pm »
my suggestion dane is that if you are aloud to use them which i think you can because of the fact that alot of people have had guns before (toy guns always remember this) is that have them marked with a tie and well don't flaunt them.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:59:00 am »
Yeah, I'm not the kind of person to flaunt them around.  I'd use them strictly for poses.

But yeah, I'm sure these will be marked well by some kind of peacebonding ribbon, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

Thanks for the input, Rob.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:12:55 am »
The current stance on prop weapons in the form of guns:

1: airsoft guns. batteries AND air cartridges removed. peacetied. Zip tie will be used to depress trigger rendering non usable.

2: all other gun likes we must examine to determine danger factors

ALL prop weapons are peace bonded regardless. but usually we wont bind them to their holsters.

note: DO NOT brandish them outside the con as local law enforcment can be VERY edgy!
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:16 pm »
I thought any projectile weapons like airsoft guns were banned no matter what was done to them?  Maybe I'm just confusing Sakuracon and Kumoricon's policies...
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Anza

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/anza
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:20:23 pm »
As a Yuna weilding guns I -WAS- asked to put them into my non-existant holster by one person. My friends went to the higher ups though and I was allowed to carry around my official guns freely because I was carrying them with my finger looped around the trigger area like they -were- toys. Also my triggers were zip-tied back so I couldn't play with them and they had the green tape on them as well.

I walked by a many of cops and not a single one of them said anything to me. Because they're obviously plastic and look like toys *durr*

I say just don't run around holding them like guns. Keep them in the holsters and then just take them out when you want to pose with them.

Some cons weapons polocies are super strict (*coughAXcough*) but KumoriCon is a lot nicer about things, which I believe in turn makes things a lot more fun :)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 10:16:42 pm »
I think you're good to go, so long as it's bonded and you're not waving them around like a maniac.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 10:46:16 pm »
Ah, nothing like answers to my problems. XD

Thanks everyone, I'll finally be able to do some different poses now WITH Ebony and Ivory.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Kendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/AirsoftWallabee
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 02:17:51 pm »
My character carries a gun, and I am curious if I am allowed to carry a cap gun that does not have an orange tip. Must prop guns have an orange tip, or are we allowed to paint over them? Thanks.
Saturday, Monday Cosplay: Karen-Soul Link
Sunday Cosplay:"Save Point" Moogle-FFIX

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 02:19:30 pm »
The current stance on prop weapons in the form of guns:

1: airsoft guns. batteries AND air cartridges removed. peacetied. Zip tie will be used to depress trigger rendering non usable.

2: all other gun likes we must examine to determine danger factors

ALL prop weapons are peace bonded regardless. but usually we wont bind them to their holsters.

note: DO NOT brandish them outside the con as local law enforcment can be VERY edgy!
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 04:59:14 pm »
Quote from: "Kendra"
My character carries a gun, and I am curious if I am allowed to carry a cap gun that does not have an orange tip. Must prop guns have an orange tip, or are we allowed to paint over them? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure if it looks even remotely like a real gun (and most cap guns do..) you're going to need to leave the orange tip.

I have a Beretta 1913 (I think that's the model) spring airsoft gun for one of my cosplays and it looks real so I have to have that orange tip there.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Keenon Williams

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 12:59:32 am »
That's messed up, man. Dante should not be restrained.
06 - Naruto Uzumaki
07 - Ryoga Hibiki
08 - Kunio-kun
09 - Doctor Insano (Spoony Experiment), Seta Noriyasu
11 - Yuri Volte Hyuga

Help me make this year memorable! Take pictures with me at Kumoricon '11!

Offline cheesethrower

• Cabbit
    • http://cheesethrower.livejournal.com
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 04:01:09 am »
Quote from: "Keenon Williams"
That's messed up, man. Dante should not be restrained.

Totally. I mean, remember what happened last time Dante got restrained? We got Devil May Cry 2. D:

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Cosplay Guns
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 02:39:42 pm »
lmao

Ha, thanks guys.  According to what everyone has said about Kumoricon's policy, it works out in my favor.  Now if only the policy was the same for those Sakuracon n00bs.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters