Author Topic: Magic  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Magic
« on: August 16, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »
I haven't been paying attention to this particular forum for a few months now, but is anyone planning on having some Magic matches? I haven't played in years and if anyone is up for it we could probably organize something in a hotel room or what not.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:17:27 pm »
hey man you should probally get ahold of thejew he use to play magic alot
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline aaero

• Cabbit
Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:41:23 pm »
Well, I'll probably bring my laptop and I have a Magic "emulator" on my laptop that's pretty easy to distribute. It's nice - all the cards up to the most recent set and you can just make whatever deck you feel like. Paper magic got much too expensive for me though.

Here's a couple screenshots:

You probably want to play the paper way though? I have a couple of cards, but I don't even think I have land.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:44:52 pm »
Hmm..now that is interesting. I had an old PC Magic game years ago, was pretty fun.

But yeah, I am talking about card playing. If anyone is interested I'm willing to let people borrow a deck of mine or even make a deck out of my other cards.

Must go pester Nick on his myspace!
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 07:59:33 pm »
Quote from: "Trumby"
Hmm..now that is interesting. I had an old PC Magic game years ago, was pretty fun.

But yeah, I am talking about card playing. If anyone is interested I'm willing to let people borrow a deck of mine or even make a deck out of my other cards.

Must go pester Nick on his myspace!

I really do wish we had met sooner, seriously.

I used to play Magic, aswell. If I had known you when ya lived here, we could have played. Unfortunatly, I sold my Magic Cards on eBay. I did get quite a bit though, so I was ok with it.

That online game sounds kinda fun, though.

I remember and old online pc application that had Magic cards in it, someone made a mod for it to play the DBZ CCG (Of which I still have thousands of cards of, but that I want to get rid of, too), anyone remember what that was called?

Is this the same application, or a new one?

Offline aaero

• Cabbit
Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 04:45:59 pm »
Maybe you're thinking of lackeyccg? That's an interesting program that lets you play all kinds of different CCGs. I could never get that to work properly though. The pictures I took aren't lackey though, just kind of my own thing. I like it because it supports sealed deck, which is nice.

I went to a couple booster drafts down in your area, Trumby. When Wizards of the Coast still had a store at the Clackamas Town Center they used to have them every week - I went a couple times, but it was a bit too much of a drive for me. I played a lot more when I lived in Phoenix (AZ). The game is a lot bigger down there, it was really competitive but fun.

Regardless, I'll dig through my Magic card stash and see if I have any actual decks.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 10:30:49 pm »
Oh yeah, I remembered. The program was called Apprentice. It appears the program isn't used for anything anymore, and doesn't even exist anymore. I can't find it anymore, anyways.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 09:11:46 am »
I have a question for everyone since I'm trying to build a deck or two for the con.

What's a good ratio for card types in a 60 card deck? (mana, creatures, spells)

Offline aaero

• Cabbit
Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 10:34:14 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Oh yeah, I remembered. The program was called Apprentice. It appears the program isn't used for anything anymore, and doesn't even exist anymore. I can't find it anymore, anyways.

Oh yeah, Apprentice. It doesn't exist? That's surprising. Last time I checked it was around.

Quote from: "Negima"
I have a question for everyone since I'm trying to build a deck or two for the con.

What's a good ratio for card types in a 60 card deck? (mana, creatures, spells)

Well, it depends a little bit on the type of deck you're going to build, but here is
Aaron's Condensed Guide to Mana in 60 card decks®
20 Land: You never, ever want to put in less than 20 land unless you just don't like having land. Only decks that require very little land can consistently perform with only 20 land. Also if you have multiple colors 20 land means you won't a good chance of getting the different land types.

22 Land: This is right where I like to be with my decks, but it's still a little risky. If your deck can get by with a small amount of land but will also do well with more land, 22 isn't a bad number.

24 Land: Strangely, this 4 additional land is pretty much the upper limit. 24 land assures that in most games, you'll hit for your first 5 land-drops (that is, you'll have at least 5 mana in your first 5 turns).

In short, 20-24 land.

As far as creatures and spells, that will also depend on your deck. Some decks run all creatures, some all spells.  The hard rules are that if you're running enchantments, make sure you have more than enough creatures that you'll always have one to target. If your deck will win with creatures, make sure you have to ways to a) get the damage through (flying, fear, etc) and b) ensure you will have creatures to use.

Alright, that's probably more than you wanted to read. If you still need help when it comes around, we can talk at the SSBM crew tourney too.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Magic
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 10:48:49 am »
Dustin: Yeah, before I moved, the last time I had played was 8th grade. Seems everyone was too cool to play once we hit high school :P

I'm not sure what it was that I was talking about, a friend of mine had it, though it seemed like a standalone Magic game. Don't remember a whole lot about it though.

For land, I usually did what aaero said and went with 25 land in a 60-ish card deck (I never used only 60 cards..most of the time my decks were always bigger).

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:03:25 pm »
Quote from: "Trumby"
Dustin: Yeah, before I moved, the last time I had played was 8th grade. Seems everyone was too cool to play once we hit high school :P

I dropped out in early 2002 (and got my GED), but before that, me and some friends would always play Magic after school at the tables near the lockers on the ground floor. We only ever had time for quick games, though. Sometimes we could get some games in during lunch, but, that was iffy.

Study hall was also a good place to play when none of us had to study. I forgot alot of their names, though, as I really didn't go out much for awhile. I was too busy watching anime, reading manga, and playing video games. Magic pretty much stopped for me, so I sold my cards.

Aaero: I havn't found any place to actually get Apprentice.

What was the name of the other application you use? Maybe ill start playing Magic again.

There was an official online Magic game released, I think. I remember playing a demo of it a couple years back. It was pretty cool, mostly because even beginners cannot get cheated by longtime players.

Offline aaero

• Cabbit
Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 09:06:53 am »
Sorry for the long delay. The program I use probably isn't one you'll want to use for any length - it doesn't have any automatic online play or anything, it's just a small thing I use to play with my friends. There are no rules enforced at all (which I like because it makes the game easier to play) but it's not as nice if you're not really familiar with the rules. Anyway, if you want to join my friends and I for the occasional Magic game I'll hook you up with it.

Here's a thread with a list of a bunch of various ways to play Magic Online, more than I could ever tell you.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8680

I bet what you're talking about is MagicOnline. It's expensive though, probably more expensive than paper magic (depending on your definition of expensive).