Author Topic: ON-LINE & MAIL-IN CONTEST: K2006 AMV OPENER!  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
ON-LINE & MAIL-IN CONTEST: K2006 AMV OPENER!
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:41:09 pm »
Go to http://www.opusnet.com/k2006op/contest.htm to d/l the 2006 AMV Contest Opener!

HOW to PLAY / HOW to ENTER:  
1. Download the Kumoricon 2006 AMV contest opener, (URL above) or get a copy from a friend.
2. Make up a "guess sheet" with your full name and your choice of any or all of the following contact information: an e-mail address, a phone number, or a mailing address.**
3. Watch the opener. Freeze or stop frames if you wish. Then write down the names of all the anime series you recognise. Generally, except for transitions (like a 'dissolve to,' 'cross zoom,' or 'fly off') anime from only one show is visible at any time. Sometimes the anime is composited with screenshots of AMV-making software tools, but you won't see Shuffle! superimposed over Avenger, for instance.
4. Get your completed guess sheet to the contest coordinator, either by mail or in person. See below for deadlines.
5. That's it! Have fun. I hope you enjoy the contest opener, the Kumoricon AMV contest, and the AMV show which follows.

** Forum names, CB 'handles,' IM / IRC, or amateur radio callsigns are not usable as contacts for this contest.

MAIL-in and HAND-in DEADLINES: The mail-in deadline for this contest is the Friday before the convention, 1-SEP-06. The in-person hand-in deadline is the end of the AMV show which will immediately follow the Kumoricon 2006 AMV Contest (in the same room.)

Mailing address for guess-sheets:
K2006OP Contest
33470 CHINOOK PLAZA
SCAPPOOSE, OR 97056

SCORING of Guess-Sheets:
Twenty-Seven anime sources were used in the OP. Sources have values of 1 - 9 points fixed in advance. Clips of harder-to-find shows, exceptionally new or old, and clips of secondary characters are worth more points than clips of recent and popular shows, longer clips, or clips of a main character. Here's a breakdown:

1pt:   [5]
2pts: [3]
3pts: [3]
4pts: [5]
5pts: [3]
6pts: [3]
7pts: [2]
8pts: [2]
9pts: [1]

BONUS: Eight [8] characters appear in a kind of collage near the end. A [+3] modifier applies to those shows.

TOTAL NUMBER OF POINTS AVAILABLE is 136 POINTS. (This would be a perfect score.)

PENALTY: Each guess for a show which is -NOT- used in the OP subtracts two points: [-2]
(this is to avoid 'shotgun' guessing.)

HINT: Some characters are shown wearing clothes or gear less commonly seen in the show.

NOTES:
- You only need to list the title of the shows.
- You do not need to specify 'OVA' vs 'TV series,' or 'Season IV,' etc.
- You do NOT need to identify specific anime characters or vessel names.
- Every entry correctly naming any particular series receives the same number of points for that correct guess.
- Guesses do -not- have to be listed in any kind of order to be scored.
- In the event of two or more scores tied for winner, some kind of randomizing mechanical means (such as dice) will be used to break the tie, and select only ONE winner.

WINNING ENTRY:

THE PRIZEWINNER will be announced at closing ceremonies. If the prizewinner is not present, we will use the contact information to send the prize to the winner.

GOOD LUCK TO -ALL- Participants!

- G.

15-Aug-6 Edit: OK I forgot to include one more show in the total. It's a one-pointer, so the new max is now 136.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:14:45 am »
I'll download this at work tomorrow

Offline Dark_Lady_Kassendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/darkladykassendra.html
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:45 am »
Hey! It won't let me view the video, I get the sound, but no video O.O >.<

.... ok got it to work now, thanks to kalark!! ^.^
Jerimiah of Bakazoku Fangirl- (yes, we're even engaged!!!! ^.^ we consumated our love with a Beef Crunch Wrap Supream and a hot sauce packet that asked him to marry me ^.^)

Goggle Squad Fangirl- also so dubbed by Waffles

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:24:41 am »
Gah so kewl!!!
*writes down all anime* BWAHAHAHA.... :twisted:

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
D/L != Streaming
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:50:24 am »
Quote from: "Dark_Lady_Kassendra"
Hey! It won't let me view the video, ...^.^

For reference, the  site does not serve the OP project as streaming video like you get on YouTube, or all those .swf Flash animation sites. You d/l a full copy of the video and watch it from your computer.

I was going to put them up as .torrents, but I'm not sure how to set up torrent trackers, etc. on the rented webspace.

- GLL

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
Fun with Statistics!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:43:42 pm »
A few notes on the statistics of guessing:

Mean value per correct guess = [total available points]/[number of series used]
or, 135/27 = 5pts.

The median* value of a guess is 4pts.

Since the penalty for any one wrong guess = -2,** then you should have a fair or better chance to accumulate at least 1 point by making up to two incorrect guesses per correct guess.

You can also calculate that any list containing more than 95 names will end up with a negative score. Since there's quite a lot of leeway between 27 and 95, people shouldn't feel nervous about throwing in a small handful of guess-shots, especially if some possible answers can be ruled out or ruled in.

- G

* The middle of 1111222333444:4455566677889 = thirteen numbers on both sides.

** Now, just as certain correct answers get more points than others, if I had wanted to make things totalistically complexicated, I could have assigned a variable field of penalty points to wrong guesses - perhaps assigned by show, or by genre. But I didn't, so let's not go there.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
How do we run this?!?!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:51:24 am »
Yay! I'm getting some mail traffic on this!

A couple of more notes & questions:

1. Would you guys find it fun it if I posted the CURRENT HIGH SCORE (but no name) for entries received? (I think it would be fun.)

2. Also, I don't think anyone is limited to only ONE try at this - there is no limit as to how many times you can enter. BUT if a person submits one list with A, B, C, & D on it and gets three right, and then submits again with L, M, N, P, and Q and gets 4 right on the other sheet, then only the higher score will count. I will not meld separate lists into mega-lists per entrant. But I will invite people to try again between now and the con, especially if while watching some anime, somebody catches a glimpse of something new - "HEY, I know that dude!"

3. To save on stamps, would you all mind if I took in entries (guess lists) by e-mail & by forum message?

Whee - seventeen DAYS till the CON!!! (did I count right?)

- Guy L.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Re: How do we run this?!?!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 07:24:08 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"

1. Would you guys find it fun it if I posted the CURRENT HIGH SCORE (but no name) for entries received? (I think it would be fun.)

Yes, uh huh, yeah. That would be good.

3. To save on stamps, would you all mind if I took in entries (guess lists) by e-mail & by forum message?

Yeah for online.
Sweet Times

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
E_MAIL SUBMISSIONS, Hi-SCORE Posting.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:00:49 pm »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
Would you guys find it fun it if I posted the CURRENT HIGH SCORE (but no name) for entries received? (I think it would be fun.)
Yes, uh huh, yeah. That would be good.
OK - Seeing as we only have a few more evenings, I'll put up the high score starting Wednesday night, then Thursday and Friday. Check at the rules site starting tomorrow, then. (My work site is heavily filtered so I can only check in about 5-10 min a day, from home, latenights )

Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
Yeah for online.
Done: Anyone who wants to submit guess-lists by e-mail can send them to:

guy1656 [at] opusnet [dot] com

Please include your name and some reasonable method of contact so I can let you know that you are the winner.

PRIZE ANNOUNCEMENT: I will announce the winner's name during closing ceremonies. If that person is present - I expect to have the prize ready to hand over on the spot. Otherwise I will contact they person privately to arrange for some kind of shipment or delivery.

Other than that all entries will remain PRIVATE, and will be destroyed (and forgotten) after the winner has been determined & the prize handed off.

BACK TO CONTEST VIDEO WORKS .....

- G