Author Topic: ...New To Cons...  (Read 6715 times)

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
...New To Cons...
« on: July 02, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
Hello all...I have been a fan of anime for a few years but have never been to a convention.  However, am planning/hoping to attend this one.  Because I am new  :shock: I was hoping that some of you more experienced con-goers would answer some  :?: questions :?:  for me.  Please?!  It would be extremely appreciated!  

Inquiry:

Approximately how many people will be attending this year?

What is the general age range (I'm only 17 xD)?

Is it even worth attending if I can't stay the entire weekend?   :(

I'm not sure I understand how everything works...x.x... :shock:  :roll: :(   Do you sign up for scheduled events and attend only those at specific times/places?  Do you jump from place to place whenever you feel?  Is it a combination of both?

From what times is the con actually going on (e.g. 9am-12am)?

What if my cosplay costume isn't the greatest?  I'm not experienced in sewing...x.x  I've only made a couple of Halloween costumes before.

What if the flying pink ferrets eat all my pocky before I arrive in Portland?!?!  Er...wait...o.O

Sorry for all the questions.  Thanks.  ^.~
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
...New To Cons...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:23:03 pm »
1) Well, last year we had 1700 people. :) People say that with all the advertising the Street Team is doing, we'll have even more.

2) Last year I went and I was 14. :] People of all ages are welcome, of course. Although, there are curfew restrictions for those under 18, along with hentai/yuri/yaoi panels that may require you to be 18.

3) Yes! Going any day will be worth it. Although, you should try and stay the whole weekend to get the whole experience.

4) You just walk in. There will be a program book handed to you inside your goodie bog (or aronud the con, I'd hope...). Go to anything that seems mildly intresting, and I'd roccomend the AMV contest, Cosplay Contest/Masqurade, The Dance, and if you're into it, all of the gaming going on the whole convention.

5) Last year the Con started at about 7am and ended at Midnight. All minors gotta be in their rooms at 12. xD (Don't get stuck in a huge line to the elevators! ohgod, the crazyness of last year...) You can staty out all night if you like... But I wouldn't advise it. I think that if you stayed up the holetime, you'd pass out.

6) Don't worry. Just have fun with it! The con is so much more exciteing when you're in cosplay (People constantly staring at you. It's the greatest...)

7) XDD! Now, you surely can't worry about that. Kumoricon has it's very own Pocky Club who deliver pocky to congoers (More information if you want it. n_n). I bet you'll find out that people are willing to share pocky with you, if not, find me and I will. xD Oh, and the Dealers Room has Strawberry Chunk, usually for 2.50? 1 buck! ^_^

Hehe, I'm Neko-chan. Nice to meet you! I hope that you have lots of fun at Kumoricon. It'll be my second time going and I ca'nt wait.... 60 days or so left!!!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: ...New To Cons...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 09:02:20 pm »
Welcome to Kumoricon! This year will be my 2nd year attending as well and it should prove to be even better than last year :)

1. As Neko_Chan said, we should have (at least I'm hoping for) 2000-ish people attending.

2. Don't worry about your age - you will be in the majority. I'd say most people are probably in the 13-20 range or so, but that'd be more of a question for registration :P

3. Definitely! Even if you can only attend one day (and if that's the case make that day Sunday! It's the middle day and most of the best events happen on that day) it's still well worth it. The past two years my girlfriend was only able to attend one day and this year is going to be her first going all three days.

4. You pretty much go from panel to panel, event to event, where you want to. For some of the main events they use tickets (free), like the cosplay contest, but for most events/panels you can just walk in and have a seat.

5. That one I can't really help with as I'm not sure of the hours..I just know minors have to be in their hotel rooms between the hours of midnight and 6am.

6. I'd say just the fact that you're willing to cosplay at your first con (I did as well :D ) is a huge step. I too will say just have fun with it and don't worry if it's not perfect - most cosplays are NEVER perfect, people are always improving on their costumes. And if you know anyone that can sew better than you and is willing to help, enlist it, it'll make your life easier :P

7. Yeah..that was a pretty apt question to have Neko_Chan be the first person to respond to it :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:23:49 am »
Sweet. Yeah they got it covered. And if no one will share their pocky with you..go find me lolx
as for the curfew..You can just be with a friend or whatever thats 18& OVUH
I like goats.

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
...Gracias...Obrigado...dank u...merci...danke...grazie...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:29:28 am »
Thanks!  All of your guys' answers were incredibly helpful, comforting and greatly encouraging!  I truly appreciate you all taking the time to be kind and patient enough to respond all my questions!   :D   *hands everyone thank-you moofins*

It makes me feel way more comfortable going knowing more about what will be going on and about the nice people (you ppl) that will be there!

Yay!  *runs around excitedly*

I will come on Sunday or hopefully all three days!

I am hoping to enlist a friend or two to help me out with the costume and I've also chosen one I hope won't be too elaborate!

I definitely want to see the Cosplay Contest and the gaming!

Huzzah for pocky!!!!!  *munch munch*

......O.o...

Well, that was a bit out of order....x.x

Anyway thank-you all VERY much for the help and advice!  And I will now hug you if that is permissible *hug* !  Lol...xD

Now, what about the Pocky Club?  o.O

And, if I may ask, who are you guys cosplaying as???
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:43:21 am »
yeah! ^_^ If anyone has a problem with you, or you have a problem with someone..go get me and tell me...I'll settle it straight. dun hesitate to ask ^_^ lolx
Pocky Club? oh tis a wonderfult thing that makes life better. haha
Neko is gouda at explaining Pocky Club and stuff, me..I..am no good. lolx
If you go all 3 days who are ya roomin' with?
and my cosplays are
Riku Harada- DNAngel (MAYBE) / Bou- An Cafe--Odoru meruhen Tokei
Bou- An Cafe--Shikisai Moment
Cat Girl- my own design---YUMMY
I like goats.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
...New To Cons...
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:20:58 am »
I'm cosp[laying as Yomi from Azumanga Daioh on Saturday, and gonig as Lolita on Sunday. :] I'm pretty much wearing awesome clothes on Friday and Monday.

Pocky Club is an Organazation in which people sign up to have their friends glomped and handed pocky, whichever flavor they'd like (as long as we have it in stock...). We have you fill out a request form at the panel on Saturday morning, or from the Dealers room where we have a Table set up with the Horror Survival Society. You fill it out with contact information, what you and your friends look like (cosplay! Be specific. :]) and what flavor pocky you'd like. The next day we deliver it to your friend (or whomever, you see a cool person's cosplay, or a staff member) with a glomp (or not, whatever. We don't have to give you a hug. xD). It's completely free... But you could be nice and give us a donation. n_n You can't send pocky to yourself though... xD

That's Pocky club. :]

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:31:39 pm »
if not glomped, you can get molested! ^_^ lolx
I like goats.

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
Pocky Club & Rooms
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 10:13:28 pm »
Pocky Club sounds utterly awesome!!!   :shock:  :P  :D  :)   I must have someone glomped!  Lol....Kewl....Thanks for the info!  ^.^

As for rooms...I have no idea!  And according to the hotel's website, there aren't any rooms left!  O.O''  Can that be right?!  Please say no!

Who are you guys rooming w/?  It's 99$ a night, right?  That's a lot of money!

:shock: :cry:  :x  :shock:    :?  :?  :?
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 10:28:01 pm »
acually..$99 is really cheap in my opinion..And I am not sure..if you need a room or something I will open mine for you. But if you have a problem with how I run things in there...or rules and laws...I won't kick you out. But I'll piss you off, and do SOMETHING to hurt you. I did it last year I'll do it every year I dun give a corpse. But anyways, if you need a room or something I will let you stay with me and my pets lolx. I'll have you help pay, but it is split and right now if you are to stay with us, you will have to pay...$100 the intire time, so $25 each night. or whatever
and yes, Pocky Club owns. lox
I like goats.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
...New To Cons...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 09:32:23 am »
$99 a night is actually pretty inexpensive, especially when you split it up between a bunch of people. My room is full or I'd offer some space in it <.<

As for getting a room - call the hotel and make sure all the rooms are taken before you come to that conclusion.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
...New To Cons...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 10:32:58 am »
Quote from: "xRIxKUx"
if not glomped, you can get molested! ^_^ lolx

>_<!! Nononono~!!

Miss Princess is just a little... excited. xD -tapes Riku's mouth shut-

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 12:42:01 pm »
ok ok ok ok...THEY don't molest you. LOLX
I like goats.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
...New To Cons...
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:15:42 pm »
Quote from: "xRIxKUx"
ok ok ok ok...THEY don't molest you. LOLX

Heheh.. Don't Mind Princess... 'll have her hands tied up while she's around you. n_n

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
...New To Cons...
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 06:30:13 pm »
Hello! And let me congratulate you for doing a very smart move of joing this convention family! anyways I am waffles and this will be my 3rd year! I am a part of goggle squad and that means I am specail! I hope to see ya Peace!!!!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 06:30:29 pm »
haha, yeah right. that is a dream for people. I am too gewd! lolx
I like goats.

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
...Not At My First Con...
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 09:30:37 pm »
Well, I greatly appreciate the offer xRIxKUx!!!!  And don't worry, I am incredibly rule and law abiding!   :) And I adore pets!  I love them and get along with them more than w/ people!   :shock:  :D   100$ for the entire time IS cheap!  I just hadn't thought about splitting it up amongst more than a few people... :roll:  :?  :oops:   Anyway, if it's okay w/ you I would like to keep your offer in mind for awhile.  You (obviously) can change your mind... But I'm attempting to manipulate a few friends of mine into coming with me, in which case I could share a room with them!   :D

Thanks again for the offer!

Um...Yeah...no molestation...at least not at my first con, lol.   :twisted:  :P

Thanks for the welcome, Waffles!   :D

Looking forward to Pocky Club!   :lol:  :)  :D  8)
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
...New To Cons...
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 01:33:18 am »
haha well. My offer for you will be up. ^_^