Author Topic: Cosplay panels  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Cosplay panels
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:40:37 pm »
Hello all, your local neighborhood Programming Director here, we all know that the cosplay contest is going to rawk this year, but I've been wondering what kind of cosplay panels you'd like to see this year? I don't have much down in the scheuduel right now because Im not sure what everyone is dieing to learn about costuming and cosplay. So what do you want?

Thanks,
Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay panels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:46:14 am »
I really enjoyed one in 2004 where someone really experienced talked all about the how-to's of sewing and costuming and answered any questions people had. I learned a lot from it and had new ideas to try out.

Maybe something of the same sort, only for props/fake weapons would be cool too?

Another one I liked in 2004 was the 'how to publish your manga' panel. Note that it wasn't a 'this is how you draw' panel, but more of a guide to how to publish yourself once you had something already going. That type of thing is exremely awesome and helpful!

I'd also love to see a 'how to make a sweet as heck amv' panel. Or maybe a panel showcasing the 'not yet dubbed' anime would be cool too.

Maybe a 'lost in translation' panel would be really funny. You could use it to explain simple stuff like why they say 'itadakimasu' or explain stuff like how 'Oni' and 'Youkai' usually end up being translated as the same word. I bet you could use a bunch of funny examples from Engrish.com.
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:30:56 am »
Quote from: "kekame"
I really enjoyed one in 2004 where someone really experienced talked all about the how-to's of sewing and costuming and answered any questions people had. I learned a lot from it and had new ideas to try out.
Maybe something of the same sort, only for props/fake weapons would be cool too?

Oh, I remember that one...I was on that panel.   :D  
Sounds like a Cosplay 101 Q&A panel should be on the list, as well as a sewing machine basics class. Let me know what else -- we're here to help, but we aren't mind readers as to what people are interested in.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay panels
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:15:39 am »
yeah what she said

I still want more feed back on what kind of leather items the kids want to see or want a demo on.  I'll basicly go over how many of the vynal items in cosplay can be made in leather and last FOREVER.  with what can be  done with tools around the house.

As part of my Demo or the Cosplay 101, I can come and show the basics of stuff like setting gromets and eyelets, drilling holes in metal and stuff

and I'm getting a foot powered shoe patching machine and I may bring that

Like this one

http://www.leightons.ca/used-singer-29k70.html

so if any of the chaperone aunts need a quick repair of there cosplay i'll have a machine ready
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:07:49 am »
Quote from: "Vondan"
<snip>
As part of my Demo or the Cosplay 101, I can come and show the basics of stuff like setting gromets and eyelets, drilling holes in metal and stuff

Sounds like we may want a cosplay 101 and a 102 or 201 depending upon people naming conventions and willingness to be silly...it may be better to create more interesting titles.... such as "Zippers, and grommets and fasteners, oh my!!" (for some reason beginners are afraid of inserting zippers and using fasteners...I put off my first zipper insertion for over 15 years of sewing! You can avoid zippers if you want, but actually they really are easy to install).

I think we'll need a cosplay Q&A panel with several people up front (me, Vondan... perhaps Melinda (aka "Belle") and Sarah Sheets too) who can field a variety of questions from cosplayers who have questions about how-tos. There should also be a sewing machine basics (perhaps advanced one??) .  

I'll bring my "junky" machine (I will not bring my Janome 10001 embroidery machine because it's too valuable to leave unattended in a hotel room. Besides, the cheap junker is a better demo machine since most people can afford cheap junkers)
-- there are so many topics to cover, and of course I'd be happy to have > 1 person on the panels to help keep the ideas moving.  :)

-A

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 12:15:04 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"

Sounds like we may want a cosplay 101 and a 102 or 201 depending upon people naming conventions and willingness to be silly...it may be better to create more interesting titles.... such as "Zippers, and grommets and fasteners, oh my!!" (for some reason beginners are afraid of inserting zippers and using fasteners...I put off my first zipper insertion for over 15 years of sewing! You can avoid zippers if you want, but actually they really are easy to install).

Oh so you want to know about zippers, I know a bit about zippers if you know what I mean.... Whaaaa Ha Ha (that’s supposed to sound like the purvey candle stick from Beauty and the Beast).  I have a 5 drawer file cabinet full of zipper tape in metal, plastic coil and Vislon up to 10 yards long.  I have 7 of those craft sorter box things full of zipper pulls in sizes 2 to 10 mostly the world standard by YKK but also some by Talon and Dunlop etc.   Some times it’s a challenge finding a zipper pull to match a broken zipper when it’s an off brand.  So I always get those grab bags of zippers at goodwill 99 cents for 50 of them when some of the pulls are $1 each from a parts catalog.  I can also repair zipper coil that is coming off the tape.   I can take a piece of a thread off the floor and with a needle and 20 min repair a $1000 suitcase some one is ready to abandon, (and sold a few I found at thirft stores with minor problems)

Not that any of that is of use to Cosplay

Edit:

I should do the whole panel as either Lumiere in a creepy French accent or as Jerry Lewis’s crazy professor in a lab coat.

Edit 2

Since I probably can’t find an aunt in a French maid outfit if I do the panel as Lumiere the butler I can do it as

“Professor Von Zippers Fascinating Fastener Lecture” and find an assistant aunt in a lab coat and safety goggles.

It’s been years since I have been on stage or made an ass out of myself in public and I was also thinking of getting out my tuxedo and making some Quiz Game lights for the Anime Jeopardy as Alex Trigun

Von “Should cosplay as Lumiere and sing Maurice Chevalier’s ‘Thank heavens for nerdy girls” Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:53:47 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"

Oh so you want to know about zippers, I know a bit about zippers if you know what I mean.... Whaaaa Ha Ha (that’s supposed to sound like the purvey candle stick from Beauty and the Beast).  I have a 5 drawer file cabinet full of zipper tape......

Be afraid, be very afraid....
I have inserted zippers. Methinks you have a wee bit more surplus zippers than most. However, it may be amusing to see some of the zipper tricks. I have put in about a dozen zippers so far, and though I do have several in  my stash, their numbers don't even come close to yours...

Sounds like Vondan should be added to the "Costumers Anonymous (cofessions of avid costumers" panel (this is where we one up each other on the sizes of our stashes and suchlike. Can get quite silly. Von - Mr. Zipper - dan is certainly king of zippers. All hail zipper king  {Vondan: make a suit out of a bunch of your zippers....I met someone who made a dress from zippers and it was pretty cool, so a suit could be like the next step. Besides, it'll help make room for those new sparkly zippers that JoAnn's just got recently!} )

OK, kids, back to topic (and away from odd obsessions...). What costuming panels are you interested in?

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
Cosplay panels
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:22:01 pm »
I'd like to see a cosplay panel similar to one mentioned on a fans view.
http://www.fansview.com/person/0402apers.htm

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 04:07:37 pm »
Quote from: "yukimizu"
I'd like to see a cosplay panel similar to one mentioned on a fans view.
http://www.fansview.com/person/0402apers.htm

Hmmmmm.... "Plus Size Cosplay"... Generally, any and all cosplay related panels are applicable to all people regardless to size, shape, color, etc. Since the average human is 6.5 -7 heads tall and the typical anime character is 8 - 11 heads tall (CLAMP uses 11 heads tall types), there are probably only 5 humans on this planet who actually are built like real anime characters.  The rest of us are just faking it.

I do like the concept, however. I've read that the average American is now a size 14 or 16 despite the fact that the clothing companies insist upon using a size 8 as the starting point (which means that by the time the item is sized up to a 16, the neckline is all wrong and the arm holes are too big and the shoulders are too wide). We can cover those annoyances of fit in a fitting panel. (ohhhhh!!! sounds like the how to fit a bodice panel will be a necessity. this is where I take a rectangle of fabric and show people how to turn it into a perfectly fitted bodice by draping it on a volunteer and pinning out the fabric that doesn't "belong"...)

From the site:
"Plus Size Cosplay" --the ideal female body size and shape has varied from generation to generation, and anime characters mirror a late 20th-century interest in thinness as an ideal. "For what ever reason you're plus sized, you have to deal with that," Maxwell said, referring to Peter Paul Rubens paintings as an example of how women once were supposed to look. "Standards have changed and that stigma translates to the cosplay world very much. I have heard criticism of plus sized cosplayers more than in street clothes. It's like if you're plus sized, no matter how meticulous your costumes are the world is going to pass you by."

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 12:59:30 pm »
we should have a panel like that at kumoricon! we were supost to have one at 2004's convention and i was so looking forward to it but it was cancled grr!
thing is i am no longer as plus sized but i remebr what it's like and there are plenty of cosplayers who could benift from a panel like that
and yes i'll put my mouth where my mouth is cuz if anyone is planning a panel like this i will offer any help i can give freely
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Cosplay panels
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:00:40 am »
all i know, is katie bair gives a hillarious panel about her wigs.  i figure at this date the con allready has alot of its guests scedualed. but still.

the other thing that woud be cool to see is something that included a talk on the importence of fabric selection and maybe even a "fibers 101" section of one of the more general panels.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay panels
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:13:52 am »
I'm interested in an intermediate class - I mean, I don't need people to tell me the basics, but I'm not an expert either, and I think a lot of cosplayers that have been cosplaying for a few years are probably at that point.

I love the idea of plus size cosplay panel, though I think size 14 isn't technically plus size.

A wigs panel would be very cool, since I've just recently experienced the goodness of wigs.

Oh, and have you guys tried out wonderflex? It is cool stuff! If there was an expert on that to be found...?
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:30:14 am »
Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
all i know, is katie bair gives a hillarious panel about her wigs.  i figure at this date the con allready has alot of its guests scedualed. but still.

I agree, the panel was very informative and very humorous.  I would like going to another of katie's panel if the chance comes up.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 12:13:48 pm »
if the kids like Humor in a panal should I plan on that and desighn it like a performance
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Cosplay panels
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 08:30:46 pm »
treating the panel less like a lecture (which ive seen happen  that way to often) is good for everyone who wants to come.  not nessisarily overly theatric, katie's humor reminds me of jokes you see on sesame street if you go back and see it   they sound mild and go over littleones heads, but then the more mature people in the audience actually get it (even if then the chilluns giggle cause they know a joke is there but not why).  like alluding jokes about calk.

but yeah, informative panel + humor=good times

LETS MAKE LEARNING FUN! :D
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay panels
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 08:13:53 am »
Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
treating the panel less like a lecture (which ive seen happen  that way to often) is good for everyone who wants to come.  not nessisarily overly theatric <snip>

Yes, that and it is important that as many panels as possible have several panelists. The panels that turn into lectures are typically ones in which there is only one panelist. I always like discussion type panels since those allow audience interaction and they help the panelist direct the information presented directly toward interests of the attendees.