Author Topic: Interesting trend going on...  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
Interesting trend going on...
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:42:40 am »
I'm curious as to how many of us are...

A. Planning to work out/lift weights/lose weight for cosplaying reasons.
B. Starting to work out/lift weights/lose weight for cosplaying reasons.
C. Have been working out/lifting weights/losing weight for cosplaying reasons.

It's just an interesting trend that I've noticed recently. People are talking about doing such things for cosplay purposes. This is probably not a new thing at all... Blame me not spending a ton of time in the cosplay section for me creating this thread.

As for myself...

A. I am planning to work out and gain a little more muscle mass (especially on my arms) for my cosplay. I'm a scrawny guy, 105 lbs. ~5'6" tall with probably 10 to 15 percent body fat on me... Maybe lower than 10 percent... Don't know. As you can imagine, my arms are a little small and definately aren't big enough (especially my freakishly small left arm) for my costume. I'm probably going to work my legs out and re-define my stomach (I had a 6 pack back in Middle and early High School... Almost completely lost it since I haven't taken a PE course since Freshman year) as well.

B. I've done sporadic weight lifting (nothing too heavy, don't need to lift alot to build muscle mass in my arms for some reason) and today was the first day of my new routine. I don't know how long it'll take, but I am sure I'll have achieved what I want long before the convention.

C. Like I early said, I have done some sporadic stuff, but nothing really consistant since 7th/8th/9th grade... When I was able to do 75 push-ups in a minute (not because I'm strong, you don't need to be strong to do a ton of push up when you weigh 100 lbs... That was back in 9th grade.) Hopefully I keep up with this... Maybe I should employ my girlfriend and have her make sure I do my work outs daily now until I get to where I want to be and then maintain the look with a 2 to 3 times a week dealy.

...Meh... I've typed too much. So yeah, all y'all that're plannin' on doing this stuff for cosplay purposes feel free to post and what not... It's going to be interesting seeing the amount of people that're going to be doing this... Call me weird.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
Can't change at all!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:11:35 am »
*laughs*  What an interesting question to ask.

As for me, for both this year and last year I've made costumes that necessitate that I generally don't gain or lose weight or muscle.  If my arms got bigger then the pieces wouldn't fit, and if I somehow lost weight they'd possibly slide off, if not just keep sliding up and down my arms.  ^_^
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:34:11 am »
For SakuraCon this year, I actually had to diet hard. In the time between when my wife started my Auron costume and the convention, I had somehow put on enough weight that it didn't fit right and I couldn't even attach my obi. I felt awful and spent the next three weeks eating nothing but subway and lean cuisines, while drinking a ton of water. By con time the clothes fit and the obi was actually too loose. Now I'm lifting weights again so I can beef up my arm a bit, for that manly shoulder drop of the kimono before Auron starts fighting.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:25:36 am »
Haha, I just started my diet last night. T^T;

Although cosplay is a factior, I'm doing it more for myself than cosplaying reasons...

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:40:09 am »
Good topic, I was wondering about it too.

I've been weight-lifting to tone out my arms. I also go out and jog to keep my body in shape. I'm only 107 lbs, but I did gain weight these past few months so I'm trying to get back to what I used to have.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

(order of cosplay might change)
Saturday- Rikku (FFX)
Sunday- Tifa (FF:AC)
Monday- Mana-sama (maybe)

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:09:45 pm »
heh i should do that lol...but i had a weight training class for a year for my sophmore year and guess what i'm still 6' tall and 120 pounds.....

just curious but does hell kitty sound like a female name cause i didn't mean it to....
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 05:39:14 pm »
Quote from: "Hell_Kitty"
heh i should do that lol...but i had a weight training class for a year for my sophmore year and guess what i'm still 6' tall and 120 pounds.....

just curious but does hell kitty sound like a female name cause i didn't mean it to....

Wait a sec, so you're a guy?! It kinda does sound like a female name. Cute for a boy though. Can I call you Kitty-kun? lol

Damn! you're a lightweight! I wish I had your weigh/height ratio. I'm a shorty.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

Saturday- Rikku (FFX)

Offline Wolf Wood

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:22:43 pm »
i havent but i am playing tennis alot.

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:49:27 pm »
Quote from: "Wolf Wood"
i havent but i am playing tennis alot.

Are you cosplaying PoT????
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 11:54:41 pm »
Heh heh... I think I fall under the C category. ^_^

I actually began working out at a gym awhile ago for reasons not related to cosplay, but when the instructor asks me, 'Name some future events you want to be fit for/reasons for losing weight' I always think of my next con.  :D

...One day I dream of being thin enough to cosplay a girl. ;_; (I'm 5'8" and 175lbs)

Btw, Hell_Kitty sounds like a unisex name to me.
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline Kendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/AirsoftWallabee
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:47:03 am »
I haven’t been exercising strictly for the point of cosplay, but occasionally when I’m on a run/doing ab work I think, “You will be doing a cosplay that shows a lot of stomach! Gotta make it look good for those that will be seeing it!”
Saturday, Monday Cosplay: Karen-Soul Link
Sunday Cosplay:"Save Point" Moogle-FFIX

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 01:51:32 pm »
I really just started  losing weight because I am playing lacrosse. I am also enjoying the weight loss.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 06:38:28 pm »
I myself will be hiking a lot this summer XD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Spork

• Sailor Scout
    • http://8bitoctop.us
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 12:10:06 am »
I train with weights and swimming and other physical activities because I like to.  It just happens to work out for Zoro cosplay, too XD
NO WEENIES!
"Go Going Merry, you're rippin up the Grand Line!"
"FRIED CHICKEN!!"

KumoriCon attendee since '03

Offline Nephi

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:42 pm »
Well, I don't work out FOR cosplay, but I do look better because of it!
I'm naturally a scrawny guy with almost no body fat, but since I started seriously working out 2 years ago, I've gained some great muscle tone and definition.
Hello Kalashnikov!
Anyone cosplaying Nabeshin this year?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 07:34:46 pm »
Me?  No way!  XD  What I do for cosplay, most hardcore, is my hair n_n  I cut it and dye it and do horrible things to it for my cosplay.  If I'm not the right body type for a character, I'm not gonna go out of my way to try and be that way.  I'm scrawny and boyish, that's just how it is.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline The Insane Freak!

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 07:53:27 pm »
MAN!
im thinking of loseing some weight since im gonna go as URD i already have the costume made cause i cosplayed as urd for the sakura-con 06
but it didn't go well so yeah!
and i plan to fix my costume to make it better
IM COMING AFTER YOU!!................................
....................................................not right now......im to lazy

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 08:58:51 pm »
@MistressLegato: I gotta give you kudos for changing your hair for the sake of cosplay. *shields hair protectively*

Just a heads up for anyone who's interested and is coincidently a student: 24 Hour fitness is doing a summer deal for students...3 months for $99. I think the price may vary depending on the specific type of 24 hour fitness gym you go to (there's active, sport, super sport, and ultra sport). it's all very confusing but seems to be worth the money if you don't want to invest in a ongoing membership.  

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/teamsports/summeroffer/
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

Saturday- Rikku (FFX)