Author Topic: Warhammer event at Kcon '06  (Read 7512 times)

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
Warhammer event at Kcon '06
« on: May 19, 2006, 02:45:44 pm »
Having corresponded with our magnificent programming director, we have hatched a plan to bring Warhammer to Kcon 2006.  What I need from you is input.  I need to know if anyone is interested in playing.  Please feel free to read the following brief descriptions of each gaming system.

Warhammer Fantasy:  A tabletop stragey game involving regimental manuever and combat.  Fight against a plethora of foes spanning from the inventive humans, to the swift elves, to the hardy dwarfs.  Relive historical events (in the Warhammer world setting at least), such as the exploration of Lustria, home of the ancient reptilean race known as the lizardmen.  Defend the walls of Middenhiem against the black tide of Archaon's Horde of Chaos.  Fight the un-ending civil war between the druchii (dark elves) and the asur (high elves).

Warhammer 40k:  Also a tabletop strategy game, however it is based in the 41st millenium.  Mankind has conquered many of the systems in the known galaxy, but the vile forces of Chaos even now corrupt the hearts of the faithful.  Mankind was betrayed by a third of the very warriors who were created to protect the Imperium and expand its borders.  The future of the 41st millenium is rife with bizarre alien races such as the Tau and savage Orks.  Fight alongside Tau Commander Shadowsun as she leads her troops on the Third Expansion of the Tau Empire.  Battle against the ravinous hives of Tyranids in the Tyrannic Wars.  Walk the path of Abbadon the Despoiler as he leads the Black Legion on his Black Crusades.  In the words of Horus, Warmaster and Betrayer:  "Let the galaxy burn!"

Warhammer Fantasy tends to be more movement oriented.  Warhammer 40k tends to be more shooting oriented.  Please let me know which you are interested in.  I am willing to do both, but it helps to get a general idea of how people are leaning.  I will be bringing all of my armies, both Fantasy and 40k, so those who have never played before will have a chance to try it out.

Thank you for your time.

The following might inspire you . . .

Snowflake, the evil little dragon

Chapter Master and Chief Librarian Maximus of the Legio Praetoriana
Ford:  It's unpleasantly like being drunk.
Arthur:  What's so unpleasant about being drunk?
Ford:  Ask a glass of water.

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:43:56 am »
LIFE!  GIVE MY CREATION . . . LIFE!

*bolts of lightning ensue, think Young Frankenstien*

sorry for the double posting, but i am quite serious about my plot to bring warhammer to the con this year.  please, i implore you, let me know if you are interested.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:10:14 pm »
I have 5 elder that I cut off the tops of ther pointy heads to make German Luft Komandos for my D20 Pulp game set in 1937 should I bring those.

And what is with the Names of the Orc Vehicles in WH40K, Are the space orcs sposed to all be into hip hop or just on crack
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:06:49 pm »
Don't be dissin' my orks, Vonnie.

Orkses are (1) cockney, and (2) bad spellers in 40K.  It's just part of the charm.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 09:59:35 pm »
I've always wanted to try both, actually, but especially War40k. Not sure I'll have time as a Yojimbo, though.

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:04 am »
no problem, mate.  i'm thinking of making it open-ended.  you play when you can and when you want.  I don't think I'll be able to have the participation to make it a full-blown tourney, but I will put forth a great deal of effort to generate a casual gaming experience.

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
Hooray for 40K!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:29:42 am »
Haha, I just got an Eldar army the other day. With any luck it will be painted or at the very least put together by then. If not I do have a very very very large Necron force. My two friends who are also coming play space marines. One is the Space wolves, and the other The Black Templar. When will this be happening? It would be fun to take part in it.

Offline viiictoria

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
How many points will we be playing? And do we need to bring a printed army list or anything?

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:45:20 am »
whao, talk about night of the living thread.  i didn't see this coming.  I just got an e-mail from Brenda telling me that I am running Warhammer games on Monday.  There will be a break for about 2.5 hours starting at 11:45, because I have a class that day.  That is my fault for not specifying what day is best for me, and you can all smite me for it.

As it stands, I will be using standard tournament rules for game sizes:  1850 for 40k, 2000 for Warhammer Fantasy.  This is by no means a tournament.  It will pretty much be open gaming for the most part.  We will have 500 point games for beginners who want to learn the basics of how to play.  Army lists will be required for play.  I'm not going to check for legality, as I am assuming that you are all honorable players.  I strongly encourage you to bring the rulebooks as well.  It makes life easier if there is more than one rulebook.

I would also encourage people to bring terrain.  I live in a college dorm, and do not have space to store anything even resembling terrain.

This is definitely an experimental project.  It's going to take a team effort to make this work.  If this works, we can make our own legacy.  We will go down in history as the people who brought Warhammer to Kumoricon.

Offline Doom Bunny

• Cabbit
    • http://lan.skinned.net/newforums
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:19 pm »
1850 for 40k? Sort of an abnormal number. Oh, well. *Goes off to make an 1850 list*

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 11:06:21 pm »
1850 is a pretty standard army size for 40k, at least at the tournaments i've been to.

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:23:47 pm »
So what was the K-con Warhammer 40K event like? How did the battles go? What armies were there? Who won? Whats the square root of Elizabeth Tailor? Was there any really cool custom pieces there? Can some one please inform me?

I had to leave earlier than I would have liked and I missed it. T.T I really wanted to play with my new Eldar army too.

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 04:17:33 pm »
it wasn't so much an event as a few people getting together and playing a couple games.  only one person other than myself brought an army to play with.  his space wolves and my tau clashed.  my tau kicked some butt while suffering some pretty heavy casualties.  it came out as a minor victory for me.

Hopefully we'll be able to do better next year with a bit more planning, and a little help from my mates at Games Workshop.  The inherent problem with having a warhammer event in Oregon is that the warhammer community there is not as organized or developed as it is in Washington.  One thing that would help is getting into the Warpgate network and talking with Outriders in the Portland area (Outriders are hobby enthusiasts who help plan and staff events), or I can speak to the one of the big wigs and become an Outrider myself.  Suffice to say, If I can, I will do better next year.  The issue I faced was the fact that I was acting alone, without any outside support from GW or the Outriders.  That was my mistake, and for that I apologize.