Author Topic: Sushi Tutor  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Sushi Tutor
« on: June 10, 2004, 08:13:25 am »
*bows*

I am in search of a sushi tutor.  I've only had real sushi once, and that was in Europe, and I didn't even order it.  My Chinese friends did.   :cry:

I am searching either for a person (or people!! Oo, wouldn't this be fun?) willing to take me (and possibly others!) out and give a proper lesson in what's good and what's scary.  ^_^

Plus, it's an excuse to get everybody together at Todai's.  ^__^

Anybody who'd like to interview for the job?  :-P
EDIT:  And/or anybody who'd like to come along?  ^_^

-ko

Offline CutieHoney

• Oni
    • My myspace
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:48:06 pm »
I would but I don't have a car so I can't get around =p

Anyway, if youa re going for sushi however, todai's wouldn't be the best place, mainly because it's 20 bucks a pop to eat there.

However, there are plenty of sushi bars around.

-Koji Osaka's, which is located in a few places, one on 21st one by pioneer square and one on Macaddam

-Sushiland out here in clackamas, across from Clackamas Town Center (or fugi's, which is up sunnyside rd, its like a benihana's)

-Sushiworld on 23rd and Marion i think, it has FRIED sushi a great place

-There is a sushi place located in Sellwood that i havnt been to, by sthe Star's antique malls and the bridal shop. Supposedly some of the best sushi in portland. It's only open from 5-9:30 and it ALWAYS has a line up so it must be that great o-o

I am sure there are other places too ^_^ But if you just want sushi, don't go to todai's
I like to make new anime buddies. So just contact me via messanger.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/chinadoll66102
Livejournal: (though it's pretty much friends-only: http://httP://www.livejournal.com

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Interesting!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 06:57:45 pm »
Thank You CutieHoney!

I had no idea!!  ^__^  Amazing the things you learn.

Too true-- Todai's is spendy.  I looked at the prices and stuff the other day and near fainted.....But it was the only sushi place I knew of up and until now!  ^_^

Even tho you don't have a car and can't get around, the infos are sooo appreciated!!

*gives cookie*

-ko

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 12:21:28 am »
My advice on sushi: if it's still talking or moving, you generally shouldn't eat it.

It might be advised for you to avoid sushi if you are prone to bouts of food poisoning.  Sushi will set your entire immune system off, and you will think you are dying, and the world is about to be ruled by a p-chu.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 01:00:46 pm »
i can no longer eat lansana becuase of food posioning only sleep i got the night was in warm swallow bath water i barly had the energy to tip my head to the side to puke up the bile

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:28:52 pm »
8O

Nothing moving.  Check.

Never eat Lasagna at Zenix's.  Double Check.  O_o

-ko

Offline Eqqplant

• Cabbit
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:25:59 pm »
On the other hand, Todai's might be good for learning about sushi because of the buffet style serving. You can take as little or as much as you like and they always have many different kinds of sushi.

I think one could easily spend $20 sampling sushi at other resturants simply because you have to order the sushi by types (for example, ordering california roll would get you like 4 rolls and cost may $3 or $4).

So in my opinion, if you are serious about learning the nuances of sushi, a buffet where you can easily sample would be more cost effective.
Imagine Engrish all day everyday!

Offline jessiek

• Cabbit
Sushi Tutor
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 10:23:59 pm »
First of all in portland you don't need a car to go anywhere you just take the max and you can go anywhere. there is a sushi go-round just off a max stop not 30 min from downtown. The plates are $1, $1.50 $2 and $3, they also have miso(sp) and ice cream and a hole bunch off different stuff.

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Hm.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 05:51:47 am »
Do you think a book'd be the best beginning for such a thing?  I wouldn't know what the stuff'd taste like, but at least that way I'd know what exactly I was going to be tasting.  ^_^   *sigh*  Some people have all the fun.  ^_^  

Thank you all for your imput thus far!  Is appreciated by this particular sushi-newbie!  

-ko