Author Topic: Fanfic/Manga/Webcomic Contest Rules!  (Read 6200 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Fanfic/Manga/Webcomic Contest Rules!
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:27:09 am »
Back up, sorry for the delay.

FanFiction and Manga Contest Rules
These rules are a work in progress; feel free to suggest additions or alterations.
Works may be submitted online, in person, by snail mail, or by fax:.
By Private Message on the Kumoricon forum: RemSaverem
By Email: rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com
Sending links via IMs: rem_saverem_was_right on yahoo
Messenger or ellenmousie on AIM.
Please submit copies and keep originals; works will not be returned, though arrangements may be made with the judge for beta-reading feedback.

Entries will be accepted from the moment these rules are posted. Please do everything in your power to have them in by the pre-con deadlines.  Fics are welcome after that time, but may not be eligible for entry. Exceptions can be made, but only in extraordinary circumstances, and not for novella.

Novellas must be submitted by one month pre-con (August 1). All other forms of fanfic must be submitted by August 22, with the exceptions of offline manga and of best beta submissions (see below).

Web comic links/online manga links must be submitted by this same deadline of August 22. However, manga created offline may be submitted through 11:59 P.M Saturday, September 2.

To encourage recognition of the importance of and talent among Beta Readers, there will be a “Best Beta” portion of this contest. Provide a first draft and a final draft of the same fic, along with either the actual written editorial suggestions of your beta and/or a summary by you of the input from your beta. Submissions for the Best Beta portion of the Kumoricon 2006 Fanfic & Manga contest will be accepted through 12:00 Noon on September 3. Manga and web comics that have been beta read may also be submitted in this category of the contest.

No pieces that would be considered to have a rating beyond PG-13 will be evaluated in this contest, however, explicit hentai, yaoi and yuri fics are welcome at after-hours Fanfiction Bedtime Stories in an adults-only atmosphere after midnight. If you are a minor submitting material that would be considered explicitly hentai, yaoi, or yuri, please accompany your work with a permission slip from a parent or legal guardian that they approve of your submitting such material for consideration in the contest. Shonen-ai and shoujo-ai are always very welcome, just no explicit scenes/art beyond a PG-13 rating due to the family nature of the con.

Give credit to source material(s). Not only is this ethically and legally indicated, but it also will help your judge, who might need to do some research to check how well your characters and plots would actually fit the canonic universe, if your sources are materials with which she is unfamiliar. Collaborations are welcome, but credit all collaborators.

Acceptable source materials include but are not limited to: anime series, movies, or OVA; manga; doujinshi; Web comics; dating sims/visual novels/ren'ai gaming; anime-inspired video, computer, console, and table-top, board, RPG, LARP, or other games; and for the one non-anime category, anything with a fan base. No works of original fiction will be accepted. However, there will be time set aside during the con for discussion of, sharing of, and finding beta readers for, works of original fiction. Original fiction will be welcome at Bedtime Stories, as well.

Fanfic works submitted do not need to be in prose. They may be poems. Songfics and filks are welcome. For the most part, these take the form of prose fics into which song lyrics are interwoven. However, fics in the form of song lyrics themselves would also be welcome. As would filks.

No pieces beta read by this contest’s judge can be entered in this contest, due to conflict of interest. However, you may still read those at Bedtime Stories, wherein the audience selects the winners.

Volunteers and staff are welcome to participate in any program at the Fanfic Creation Station, including these contests, as long as it does not interfere with staffing or volunteering duties.

Authors should propose genre(s) in which they want their works evaluated, but be prepared that the judges may suggest to a submitter that they change the category, if appropriate.

Authors may submit multiple pieces, but please limit to your best 3 pieces per genre. This limit will be enforced for the novella category, to ensure time to get to everyone's work.

Works of multiple chapters, or over twelve typed pages in length, shall be evaluated as novellas. For the purposes of this contest, there will be a page limit to the novella category. Works in excess of 100 pages will be accepted, but it will be incumbent upon the author to suggest which sections are most important for the judge to read, as, depending on the number of lengthy works submitted, she may lack time to fully read each work over 100 pages. If there are multiple works of this length, they will be evaluated in a separate category from works 50 pages and under.

There is no minimum length for a submission for any category.  Single-page works will be accepted, as will works in progress, by popular demand.  However, this year, works in progress will not be evaluated as their own, separate, cross-genre category. Rather, works in progress will be evaluated in the genres they fit.

Fics accompanied by original illustrations, be they hand-done or computer-generated will additionally be evaluated in the Manga category. Illustrators must also be credited.

Entries in the Manga category may be sole-person productions or team productions, but all contributors must be credited (e.g., storyboard, outlining, coloring). Art may be black and white or color, handmade or computer-generated

Entries which were previously entered in the overarching Kumoricon Fanfic contest may be re-entered only if they did not win when first submitted and have been substantively rewritten/redrawn since previously submitted.

Materials generated during other parts of Kumoricon programming (e.g., during Scenes From a Hat or drabbles composed in the Fan Creation Station) may be submitted.  Materials read at Bedtime Stories but not previously submitted in this contest may be submitted.

Materials that have already won prizes at Kumoricon may not be submitted for this contest. However, they may be read at Bedtime Stories and win prizes therein, as the audience selects the winners.

No new rules will be introduced without explicit mention on the forums.

Contestants must attend the con to receive any prizes.

Submissions may be typed/printed, hand printed, or handwritten in cursive. However, they must be legible.

Include the following with each submission: your full name, your name as it will appear on your badge, your pen name as you would want it printed/announced if you are a winner, home contact info (email and/or phone), your name on the forums (if any), age if minor (for special prize for submissions from folks 16 & under), the names of anyone else collaborating on the work, identification of source material, suggested genres for consideration in the contest, and whether or not you are a "newbie" (see below).

For the purposes of this contest, a "newbie" is one who has not previously entered any work in any contest (online, at school, at a con, etc.). One need not be a first-time author, just a first-time competitor.

It will not matter what you use for font, type of paper, margins, spacing, etc., so long as your judge can read your work.

Original characters, alternate universes, and crossovers are welcome, but particularly for crossovers, be sure to credit all canonic sources.

Works entered in this contest are welcome as entries in Fanfic Bedtime Stories and Fanfic Theatre events as well.

Works entered in this contest are welcome as pieces that may be beta-read at the Beta Station table in the Fan Creation Station. Manga entered in this contest may likewise be enhanced via the networking and supplies at the Artists’ Den table in the Fan Creation Station.

Technical writing skills (e.g., spelling, punctuation, grammar, paragraphing, etc.) will be noticed, and will be rewarded via the Best Technical Writing Skills category (and as a consideration in the Best Beta category). However, in all other categories, your judge will be more invested in character continuity and storyline.

Award categories are:  
Best Beta
Best Technical Writing Skills
Best Newbie
Best Creator--Age 16 & Under
Best Drama
Best Comedy
Best Parody--Written
Best Parody--Multimedia (see below)
Best Novella--Humorous
Best Novella--Serious
Best Manga--Black & White, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga--Color, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga--Black & White, Computer-Generated
Best Manga--Color, Computer-Generated
Best Romance
Best Authenticity (see below)
Best Backstory (see below)
Best Presentation (see below)
Best Web comic/online manga

Best Authenticity will be awarded to the author and/or illustrator whose interpolation of Japanese and/or other non-English phrases and/or customs (a) feels most natural, (b) is most accurate, and (c) is best-documented and explained. All non-English terms used in your Fic or Manga must be explained in footnotes, endnotes, or the text.  Brownie points are given for footnotes or links verifying the authenticity of customs depicted.  This award is designed to encourage (a) thoroughness, (b) detail, (c) cultural awareness, (d) research.

“Best Backstory” will be awarded to the author and/or illustrator who takes the time to best explicate (a) what inspired the work; (b) how it relates to his/her personal life and/or what it meant to her/him to write; (c) how it relates to the canonic material; and (d) what the judge needs to know to comprehend the choices characters make, their interactions, their actions, and their universe.  Links to canonic illustrations will be given brownie points, but will not suffice to constitute back-story.

Best Presentation will be awarded to an author and/or artist who takes the time to provide extras alongside her/his submission that explicate and showcase the submission in a captivating and professional light. Examples include full glossary, bibliography, etc.

“Parody--Multimedia.” Anyone who intends to work on such an ambitious project must alert me to it prior to the start of the con, but works of this magnitude will be accepted through the beginning of Fanfic Bedtime Stories at 8:00 P.M. on September 3. Any works submitted in this category will be viewed and appraised by the Fanfic Bedtime Stories audience.

Feedback is always strongly encouraged!

Thank you and we look forward to your participation!
Fondly,
Rem/Ellen for the Fan Creation Station at Kumoricon 2006
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:24:11 am »
:shock: WOW that was a lot to read.

Just to make sure I got this right, original manga will not be accepted for the contest but it will be accepeted for the Bedtime Stories?

And you know I'll be submiting something for this.  ^_^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
original manga are welcome!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:35:41 pm »
good catch, negima!

and yay, i'm thrilled you're returning as a contestant!

the caveat that for this contest, i would not be accepting works of original fiction, was in reference only to non-illustrated written works.

that is to say, yes, original manga and original webcomics are welcome.

however, strictly written works are limited to works of fanfiction--although i do have a category for non-anime fanfiction.

the reason for this is that for the sakuracon contest, i received several lengthy, unsolicited, original fiction manuscripts, some of which had actually been published before. they were novella-length. it would have been arduous to add in reading them for the contest. i wanted to preclude that difficulty for this contest.

but yes, original content manga and webcomics are strongly encouraged!
and original fiction written works may be read--or performed!--at fanfic bedtime stories/fanfic theatre!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
for negima
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:00:52 pm »
i think that this is what brenda meant; i think the old thread was unlocked with the improved rules in place of the original rules.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
addenda
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:03:58 pm »
Amy Unfred shall be co-judging these contests with me. Amy and I co-judged the Kumoricon 2003 inaugural fanfic contest, and Amy hosted and coordinated the KC 2003 fanfic panel on which I was a panelist representing beta readers. She's got an English degree and is herself a talented fanfic author (for whom I've had the pleasure of beta'ing) :)

An additional address for submissions is (I believe) fanfic@kumoricon.org

Best wishes everyone! Get those entries rolling in! :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:47:29 pm »
Dang... my head hurts...  :shock:  :shock:

So... If i made a 36 page manga... that is done all my hand with pencil and shaded with pencil... and the pages are outlined in ink, and is 9X6 inches... I could enter that?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 09:46:17 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
Dang... my head hurts...  :shock:  :shock:

So... If i made a 36 page manga... that is done all my hand with pencil and shaded with pencil... and the pages are outlined in ink, and is 9X6 inches... I could enter that?

yes!!!!

you might also enjoy participating in our manga workshop, meetup, and on-site mini-manga contests at the creation station :)

Offline jurassictodd

• Oni
Some questions from a n00b!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:17:56 pm »
This is probably a very stupid question, especially from a newbie, but I was wondering whether drawing style, layout style or pacing are any of the main determining factors in admitting a manga entry into the contest?

I'm wondering this because although I am capable of delivering artwork in a manga or anime style, it is not what I am most comfortable with. A manga pace and panel layout etiquette would be easy enough to accomplish with a slightly more Western drawing style for me, but I am unsure if that is allowable. As a source, I would site Ryoichi Ikegama, whose artwork itself is not the norm for a manga, but whose pacing and storytelling are instantly recognizable as manga when compared to his contemporaries.

Is there a minimum page count or theme limitation for manga? Are there any presentation criteria, such as whether or not the entry needs to be printed and bound any particular way?

Thanks!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Some questions from a n00b!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 10:25:40 pm »
Quote from: "jurassictodd"
This is probably a very stupid question, especially from a newbie, but I was wondering whether drawing style, layout style or pacing are any of the main determining factors in admitting a manga entry into the contest?

I'm wondering this because although I am capable of delivering artwork in a manga or anime style, it is not what I am most comfortable with. A manga pace and panel layout etiquette would be easy enough to accomplish with a slightly more Western drawing style for me, but I am unsure if that is allowable. As a source, I would site Ryoichi Ikegama, whose artwork itself is not the norm for a manga, but whose pacing and storytelling are instantly recognizable as manga when compared to his contemporaries.

Is there a minimum page count or theme limitation for manga? Are there any presentation criteria, such as whether or not the entry needs to be printed and bound any particular way?

Thanks!

You definitely sound very knowledgeable. You might want to PM ScrumYummy, my staff assistant for all things art and my Manga Workshop host, and suggest that some of these topics be included in her presentation and/or taken into account for the on-site mini-manga contest for which she is a co-coordinator and co-judge.

As for the contest for which I am coordinator and have Amy Unfred as my co-judge:

My personal philosophy is simply **to be as inclusive as possible**.  That means that if an artist states that their work is an attempt at creating a manga, that is good enough for us; it can be entered in the contest as a manga.  There is no minimum page limit.  There is no maximum page limit.  Many of the submissions for both Manga and Webcomic categories will be conveyed as links to online work.  Others will be hard-copy printouts of something created online, or at least of something computer generated.  Therefore there is no particular requirement for any type of binding; I am not even requiring that the pages be stapled.

However, I do have a Best Presentation category for the overall contest. For Sakuracon, that award was created to honor the author of a novella who really went the extra mile in composing appendices and introductory materials to contextualize her story, its characters, and certain scenes therein.  The materials went beyond the already-existing Best Backstory and Best Authenticity categories, I felt, because in addition to compiling pertinent content, she purveyed it in a unique manner, having, for example, created a trifold brochure introducing characters with photos and profiles.

For this contest, my supervisor has forbidden me from adding spontaneous contest categories.  However, the Best Presentation category has carried over from Sakuracon, and I will, based on your post, choose to extend it to be open to apply to the Best Presentation of a Manga and/or Webcomic, not only the Best Presentation of a Fanfic or Novella.

Looking forward to your work!
Ellen/Rem.