Author Topic: Getting there from Alaska...  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
Getting there from Alaska...
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:55:07 am »
Yeah, I'm nuts.

I'm trying to figure out how much I should expect to spend at the con, so I can know how much to save and a basic idea of a range for plane ticket prices.

I'm a pretty light spender... at Sakura-con, I spent about 175 on a little food and stuff from the vendors' hall.

I still need to talk to my mom (for permission to go) and my aunt (she'sa travel agent, so i can get good deals) to be sure I can even go, or afford the tickets.

But I want to be able to plan.

So, if anyone could help me, that'd be awesome.

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Ichiro (Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Possibly more...

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 05:16:24 am »
Yippy for Alaska!

I am working with Aurora con our of  Anchorage to do some ad exchanges with and we are very happy to have you join us.  

Do you already have a room or plans to stay with someone?

What sort of stuff are you planning on getting for yourself will depend on what you can expect to pay.  

I would get a cooler the first day even if it a very very cheap one and filling that with ice and food from a local food store so that you don't over spend on  any meals.
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:04:06 pm »
Get ea ticket for a day trip on one of the coastal cruise ships that go between Alaska and Seattle.   Bring a gray wig and put it on, during the day mingle with all the seniors on the cruise no one will notice and you can attend all the free nature lectures.   Then just find a nice hidey-hole to sleep at night, if they catch you just pretend to be a confused elderly person waiting for your kids to pick you up in Seattle.   It is a two-week trip to Seattle but hey free nature lectures and shuffleboard

Von "once had a cheap mother in law" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 12:14:27 pm »
O_o

I don't know where I'm gonna be staying yet, so I've gotta find a good hotel close to the convention, too.

I usually just buy a few trinkets... keychains, maybe a wallscroll or two... but if there's something that catches my attention, I'll buy it if I have the money.

Basically, I had money issues in Seattle (I barely had the money to make it back to the airport after the con) so I want to figure out a budget and everything.

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Possibly more...

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 03:47:45 pm »
Change of Plan.  Get off the cruise ship at Vancouver BC, there you will meet up with some one else and the two of you have to hi-Jack a bus and load it full of Dollies and smuggle them across the border.   Continue on to Seattle ware you will pick up several more people then head to Portland

Von “Some ware in there is the suggestion about vanpooling to the con” Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 05:51:27 pm »
If you're going to get a hotel room, rather than like a Motel 6, you'd do well to probably get a couple roomies and hit up the con hotel.  You can get a discount that way (I think we're getting $30 off when using the convention code to reserve a room).  If you're gonna go the low-price motel style, you might want to do a search on Google or somesuch regarding the locations of those.

Another idea: Find out if where you are going has a mini-fridge.  Coming from Alaska probably rules out brining a cooler, but if there's a fridge in the room, you can put drinks in there (water and/or juice are HIGHLY recommended), and thus save yourself money getting stuff outside of a supermarket.  And the more food you can stash, the less you'll spend on $6+ fast food meals.  Also, Oregon does not have sales tax - remember that.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 05:05:38 am »
Quote from: "PezCat"
If you're gonna go the low-price motel style, you might want to do a search on Google or somesuch regarding the locations of those.

It might be worthwhile to note that I don't believe that there are any discount style motels on Jantzen Beach... in fact, I'm not even sure if there's more than the Red Lion.  *ponders*  I think that there's another one next to it?  Can't remember; it's a bit out of the way.

But my point would be that any discount style hotels are going to be off of the island and you'll end having to take the bus or something out to the convention if you go that route.  Just mentioning.

Also, the buying food at a supermarket to save on cash is a great idea... especially drinks, in my opinion, as I get tired of drinking just water to stay hydrated.  And as a bonus there are two grocery stores a very easy walking distance away from the hotel were KumoriCon is being held.  ^_^
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:07:05 am »
dont mind vondan, hes our local nut case.  :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:06:36 pm »
I'm looking into staying at the Red Lion.  I may buy a couple of those cheap styrofoam coolers for food and stuff.  

As for getting down there?  My aunt's a travel agent, so I'm gonna talk to her about getting a good deal on plane tickets.

Thanks for all the help ^^

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Possibly more...

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 03:38:17 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
dont mind vondan, hes our local nut case.  :)

Oh you say Nut Case now, but wait till you see how much publicity the hi jacked bus painted like sailor moon's space ship gets as it is on a televised low speed chaise down I-5 (because rin rin wont be able to reach the gas peddle) And then when they get to the Red Lion in Portland they can all bailout and the cops will never find them as they will be looking for sailor scouts, cat girls and Leaf Village Ninjas at a anime con
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:02:06 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"
... the cops will never find them as they will be looking for sailor scouts, cat girls and Leaf Village Ninjas at a anime con

Oh gawd!!  I would pay admission just to see the police line-up.  XD