Author Topic: Art Gallery  (Read 21790 times)

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
Art Gallery
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:22:30 pm »
I have a question on the Art Gallery. What all will be accepted for viewing in the gallery? I have a little diorama I made with some high-grade gundams that I would like to display. Its about 3'x1'x2'. It's in a fishtank and has all the lighting in it. It will be closed off so that none of the sand can get blown around, but its still openable, seeing how its still a fisthank. Just wondering...

DreamcastSi
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline Druihd

• Founder
  • Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 05:31:33 pm »
Sounds really interesting, I hope you bring it.  We are going to have tables in addition to panels.  3D artwork is welcome.
2003 Art Show Director
2004 Art Show Co-Director/Hotel Liason
2004-2007 Altonimbus/Kumoricon Treasurer
2008 Assistant-Treasurer

Offline DreamcastSi

• Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 05:35:12 pm »
i have a level 4 burning gundam model and a level 5 wing zero custom in there, along with a level 3 gundam nt-1 that kinda lost some parts. I gave him some battle damage with a soldering iron. he's the destroyed one. If I can get ahold of a digital camera, I can post a pic of it.
hiro-sama daisuki!!! XD

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Art gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 08:09:06 am »
Where's the info on the art show? Who do we contact to request space? Is there a cost (like at SakuraCon) or is it free to display stuff? What size spaces are available? Do you have space for selling prints, or is it bidding only? I'd like to bring prints of some of my paintings and some of the anime sweatdrops to sell in addition to the artwork I'd like to display.

Offline Sheltie

• Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 08:25:05 am »
It would defintally be nice if there was no fee to be able to put up artwork in the art room.  I know my friend would defintally like that.  I am really looking forward to the art auction for Kumori con!  It's gonna be soo fun!  I hope theres some Digimon Frontier art there....

Sheltie
[The Secret Place
His voice... It's left me...
This time... I'll fight...]

[We'll go together.]

Offline Druihd

• Founder
  • Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 09:35:54 am »
If there is a fee for he art show, it will be very small, like $2-5.  The only reason for that would be because of our small room, space is limited.  We are still working on getting displays for the art.  If we have many panels, most likely there will be no fee.  (Kumoricon will still get a small cut of the sales, to help pay for the art show hardware)

As for print shop, I think that mainly depends on the staff I get to help me run the art show.  If I get a handful of trustworthy people, I would love to have a print shop.

And panels will be 4X4.
2003 Art Show Director
2008 Assistant-Treasurer

Offline Yuki_Yue

• Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 08:59:32 pm »
Quote from: "Druihd"
If there is a fee for he art show, it will be very small, like $2-5.  The only reason for that would be because of our small room, space is limited.  We are still working on getting displays for the art.  If we have many panels, most likely there will be no fee.  (Kumoricon will still get a small cut of the sales, to help pay for the art show hardware)

As for print shop, I think that mainly depends on the staff I get to help me run the art show.  If I get a handful of trustworthy people, I would love to have a print shop.

And panels will be 4X4.

*raises her hand* Druihd, I have a question, I don't really understand the print shop thing, do you think you could explain it? pleeeease?

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Art Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 10:11:53 pm »
i never found the art galary at sukuracon if fact i never found out there was one til after the con was over but i probly would have enjoyed it

Offline Druihd

• Founder
  • Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 12:58:30 am »
I don't really understand the print shop thing, do you think you could explain it? pleeeease?

Print shop is where multiple prints of the same piece of art can be sold outright.  (no bidding of anything)  It requires a little more staff and a cashbox be in the art show when it is open, so it reallly depends on the staff we get.

So lets say I have a large impressive piece of art that I don't really want to sell.  I make a dozen or so smaller prints, and sell them for $8 in the printshop.  (print shop items are usually fairly inexpensive)  Or perhaps you just want to sell multiple prints of something you think people will like.  Its up to the artist's descretion.
2003 Art Show Director
2008 Assistant-Treasurer

Offline Yuki_Yue

• Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 01:18:08 pm »
Ohhh I see *^^* yay! *smiles* Now I understand it *dances*

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Print Shop
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 05:19:55 pm »
Would anybody know where one could go to get prints made?

Also, does anybody have a scan or two of example prints that I could peek at to make sure that I understand before I get all gung-ho about whatever?  

Thankyou!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Print Shop
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 06:35:21 am »
Quote from: "Ruriko"
Would anybody know where one could go to get prints made?

Also, does anybody have a scan or two of example prints that I could peek at to make sure that I understand before I get all gung-ho about whatever?  

Thankyou!

One way to get prints made is to order color prints from Kinko's

Mark Ferrari (professional artist who frequents OryCon) makes his own prints. He uses an Epson Color printer with archival paper and inks. I forgot the model of printer, but it's one of the more expensive Epson photo printers.

As for scans of prints, the scans look just like the original. Try to scan at highest resolution you can. Another option is to photograph your original with a high resolution camera. Find someone who's a professional photographer, though. You can do it yourself, but the pros know how to get the lighting exactly right.

Good luck!
-Runa

Offline Druihd

• Founder
  • Cabbit
Art Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 01:20:49 pm »
I have made quite a few prints, since all my art is digital.  And what Runa said is absolutely true, but I thought I might add a bit more.

It really pays to invest in nice paper.  Nice hp or epson photo paper does a decent job, but if you spend the $1-2 a sheet for ilford photo paper, you will really notice a difference.  However, if you dont have access to a high quality printer, it is probably not worth spending the extra.  As far as printers go, always try to get a photo printer.  Color lasers and phaser just dont make that nice of prints.  When deciding what printer is best, you really want the ones with the most color cartages.  Most lower end photo printers have a black cartridge, and one for color.  Spend a little more and you will get 4 cartridges, CMYK.  They really really nice printers, will have 7.  The addition of light black, light cyan, and light magenta makes a great difference.

With that being said, my favorite printer is the Epson 2200.  Its a large format printer that can print up to 13 x 19.  On the down side, it does cost $700.  Though, at larger conventions, prints have gone to auction and sold for nearly $450.  So depending on how many prints you plan to sell, it can be a good investment.  

I personally wouldn't recommend kinko's.  They tend to be spendy, and I would only use then as last resort if you cannot find anyone willing to let you use their photo printer.

We you hoping to have prints for Artist Alley, or the Art Show?

If you are able to attend the general meeting in Portland, I can show you some copies of sample prints. :)
2003 Art Show Director
2008 Assistant-Treasurer

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Art Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 09:54:16 am »
WOw, this is very exciting!  I'm new to cons and all of that.  The Portland con will be my first, but I have a lot of artwork.  This could be an interesting place to do some selling, ne?

This is going to be great!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Xella

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Crazy Shirt Lady
Art Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 08:17:15 am »
I have the Epson 2200, and am currently lusting after the... 2400? I dunno, the one that does up to 44" x 100' X) Mmm... what wallpaper that would be X9~  My dad's on my side about that, too, since he's the photographer =D

On the print shop idea, would it be possible to put a little card next to the artwork in question and say "prints available from the artist in the common market" (since I plan on selling prints of anything I might think is good enough to go in the art gallery, whether it does or no), or would that be considered cutting into the profits of the convention?

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
I'll be at the general meeting 7/25
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 06:07:28 pm »
So I guess I'll be able to see you at the meet, Druihd? It'll be awsome to see you and the prints. There is so much I can learn from you, and I am more than willing to help out in any way possible. I'm bored to death at home so I need to find some volunteering to do....^^;

I wonder if anyone is going to make any Doujinshi this year? I know larger cons have some, but it's so time consuming I never got around to it myself... :?
-A.I-

Offline jake

• Oni
    • Modest Medusa
Art Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 02:24:32 pm »
I plan on printing up some copies of my new comic that will be appearing on my website (strangecurrencies.com, nothing there at the moment). Also gonna be selling some prints and t-shirts. I'll put some stuff up in the gallery too if I can. How do we go about that? do we just show up with art or does it need to be submitted ahead of time? Does it need to be framed or matted? Can we bring a print or does it need to be the original art?

-jake

Offline otakusan

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.otakusan.deviantart.com
Art Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 02:25:12 pm »
when is the deadline to have art sent in for the gallery and for the possible print shop...because i would love to do the auction and what not.

POCKY!!!!!!!!!
0_0
0_o

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Art Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 09:58:36 am »
i have a question!

If im a stencil artist and i would like to display a fue shirt prints, stencils, graffiti art stencils... would they take it?

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!