Author Topic: In your opinion  (Read 3808 times)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
In your opinion
« on: March 11, 2006, 02:04:36 pm »
okay, so I've never been to sakuracon and I'm sure that most of you have.... just wondering though, if you chose only one to go to for that year (talking kumoricon and sakuracon), which one would you attend and why? Just curious.....
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
In your opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:04:39 pm »
Well this years Sakuracon is like 2 weeks away so it might be too later for you to even go. But except for the distance traveled to get there the main difference would prolly be about 3000 people. Sakuracon is getting really big and Kumoricon is respectable sized but small compared to other cons.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
In your opinion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:16:48 pm »
yeah, I was too broke to afford tickets this sakuracon, but I was just wondering in general
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
In your opinion
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 05:58:09 pm »
They are both awesome and I've been fortunate enought to have been going to both of them but Sakuracon is getting really big and I'm not sure I like that, we'll see this year and then decide from there.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
In your opinion
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:36:05 pm »
Kumoricon all the way.... its my home and number one convention.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
In your opinion
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 08:43:41 pm »
I agree... Sakura is awesome but Kumori is closer and smaller and... and it bloody well rocks... I had to make the same choice this year since Sakura changed its dates and location.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
In your opinion
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:21:08 am »
and kumoricon just keeps getting better and better
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
In your opinion
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 09:51:17 pm »
Never been to Sakuracon, but with the majority of people I know saying "Kumoricon is better" I can only assume that if I had to choose, K-Con would definately be it... Even if distance wasn't a factor (it's not a big one.)
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
In your opinion
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 01:44:56 am »
I have to say being that Kumoricon is the only Anime Con I have been too I am very happy for it.  I love Portland and I am very gratefull for all of the people who started this down in Eugene but I like having the con in the Rose City.  

Being the promotions manager though it looks like I am going to have to man a few table at some other cons and it looks like it will be fun.

Anyway Kumoricon Rocks!
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
In your opinion
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 07:12:45 am »
kc is still burgeoning. sc is huge in comparison. managing things in the sc hierarchy can be rather complex.  and kc is more open about supporting alternative programming such as overtly being able to mention yaoi, yuri and hentai. i love being honored by being part of sakuracon programming. but between the sheer magnitude of expense and effort involved in orchestrating things as far away as seattle is from eugene, and the fact (which is solely my own fault) that i can't afford to get to most meetings in seattle (plus i work on saturdays) so i know fewer people and have less input in and knowledge of policies and procedures and who's who etc.....for me, who has only ever attended a con as a staff person in programming, it's really not about the comparison of the quality of experience, it's really just about that portland is cheaper and i can afford to go to more of the meetings so i can be more knowledgeable and involved and feel more like family. i love a lot of the people involved in sakuracon, and i love what we accomplished last year when i ran the artists' den, and the talent of many folks involved there is great, and some have a fun sense of humor, and the ability to manage a con that size is impressive, etc. etc. but for example. yesterday's kc meeting had so much more of a family feel. i love that we're still small like that and actually really like each other and hang out outside of the world of the con. if i REALLY had to drop one, there's no question it would be SC, even though it might be "more prestigious" if i were thinking on that level.

however. the fact that some at upper echelons of sc aspire to have it be that con staff get subsidized lodging at some point in the future, that would make a huge difference for me.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).