Author Topic: 2006 March 12th General Meeting  (Read 42894 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Next meeting
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2006, 10:28:05 pm »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Next meeting, if people can't make it because of travel and whatnot, perhaps we can set up a yahoo chat room, or irc.  Something of that nature would at least give those people who cannot attend the meeting a way to still keep in touch with what's going on a little better than just waiting until a day or so afterwards, especially since quite a few people had laptops with them.

great idea
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
Re: Next meeting
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2006, 04:45:18 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Next meeting, if people can't make it because of travel and whatnot, perhaps we can set up a yahoo chat room, or irc.  Something of that nature would at least give those people who cannot attend the meeting a way to still keep in touch with what's going on a little better than just waiting until a day or so afterwards, especially since quite a few people had laptops with them.

great idea

you should also thank kylite for that thought, he's the one who mentioned it to me at the last meeting, I'm the one who actually remembered to post it
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
2006 March 12th General Meeting
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 04:52:59 pm »
action speaks louder then thoughts.  Thank you hawkeye for remembering what I said and posting it :)

If you guys need any assistance on setting up a yahoo chat room or an IRC chat, let me know.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2006, 11:03:28 pm »
problem with doing a chat room like that is then we have several people who are actually at the meeting paying less attention than they usually do, and with so many people having side conversations throughout the meeting would just make things more difficult (IMO).

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2006, 12:37:52 pm »
Quote from: "Nyco27"
problem with doing a chat room like that is then we have several people who are actually at the meeting paying less attention than they usually do, and with so many people having side conversations throughout the meeting would just make things more difficult (IMO).

Nyco

I'll grant you that, but if we had someone such as the con chair or an exec staff member with a laptop running the chat room, they could control it a little better wouldn't you think?  My theory behind this is they're already listening to several groups or people at once.

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2006, 02:40:13 pm »
Perhaps rather than having a full-on chat, it could kinda go through a moderator who is at the on-site meeting.  This would keep the focus of those at the meeting on the meeting itself, while one person played relay-helper.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2006, 02:50:27 pm »
Quote from: "PezCat"
Perhaps rather than having a full-on chat, it could kinda go through a moderator who is at the on-site meeting.  This would keep the focus of those at the meeting on the meeting itself, while one person played relay-helper.

PezCat

Good idea, I think that's kinda what I was aiming for, just couldn't figure out how to phrase it.  Thanks PezCat  :mrgreen:

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 10:16:40 am »
I'm going to say something along the lines of what Lyle (Pezcat) has been saying. Trying to hold general meetings in more than one place simultaneously simply undermines the whole point of the general meeting. As has been pointed out, trying to coordinate two distant meetings is difficult, that's why we ask everyone to meet in one place once a month.

I've seen it attempted with cellphones and there is just no practical way to include distant observers in a physical meeting, not unless the point of the meeting is to coordinate with the distant observer, ie with those business conference call speaker things or TV/camera setups that some classrooms use. I also see it as a really huge bear to try to coordinate with several people in a chatroom with one person providing the interface between physical presence and online chatroom. Will that person be providing minutes on-the-spot? Will that person also have to make sure everyone is connected? Will that person also be expected to relay information from the chatroom "attendees"? Will that person be expected to provide different clarifications to several people at once? I don't know how it would work.

But please don't think that the general meetings are the only meetings you should be attending or holding - they are not. We want the departments to be having more meetings more frequently than the monthly general meetings. That's why they're called general meetings. Departments should be doing their own planning and coordination in order to have updates for the other departments and the staff as a whole when the next general meeting comes around.

For example, the executives try to meet online on a weekly basis, and the only medium used is the chatroom, so there's no need to attempt an interface such as is being suggested. The chatroom meetings could be done within the departments who have people in several different cities, as long as everyone is able to participate online and the whole meeting is conducted in the one medium/location, and probably as long as the number of participants is not too large. Furthermore, we also have departmental staff forums available that no one ever uses. The only way those are going to work is if everyone on staff is checking in regularly to provide input and working to help the project/person, sometimes whether solicited or not. But it falls apart and dies if we never check the forums, and don't respond to the stuff that relates to us. There are a LOT of unanswered questions and requests here because the responsible parties are not answering them.

Basically, I just want to encourage everyone to use the forums more often and meet more often, however you can, even if it's to hang out on a rainy Saturday and order pizza and watch anime (that's what they call team-building!)
2008 Facilities Liaison