Author Topic: Did anyone notice...  (Read 4776 times)

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
Did anyone notice...
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:23:05 pm »
Did anyone see that weird section in the Sunday Oregonian comics? It was a manga 'Peach Fuzz' from Tokyopop. It was really weird to see it in there, but it was a nice change. Anyone know if they're going to continue with it?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:31:32 pm »
I read an article in the Register Guard about that several weeks ago.  Some newspapers are attempting to put in pages of manga in the comics/newspapers.  I think one reason is to try and get young kids to read the paper/comics more often.

I believe they are also thinking about putting another manga in the newspapers.  I can't remember the title but I know it's another winner of the Rising Stars of Manga person.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:56:53 pm »
Are you talking about MBQ?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:34:08 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
Are you talking about MBQ?

Umm, sorry, I don't know what you mean by that.  :?
I think it has something to do with vampires or something.  All I remember is it sounded a little darker compared to "Peach Fuzz".

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:12 am »
-twitch- I was like "Yaay! Manga is the newspaper!"
T_T -detests amerimanga-
I dunno. A manga about a ferret? A dog... a cat... a monkey, sure, but a ferret? I dunno.
All of the American made manga I see just can't compare to Japanese made stuff. I'm not downing the creators, it's just a general thing I've seen. If your atristic style is change so much because you watch anime/read manga, that's great, but I still won't buy your manga.

._.;

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:32:40 am »
Personally I find it somewhat elitist to say that Japanese manga is better than the amerimanga.  The main reason that people percieve this difference is because the Japanese manga industry is much more prolific (Korea manga-ka is catching up), and therefore there's more of a selection.  Currently the amerimanga creators are manga fans and artists that have started their own movement.  There are other great comic artists in the US, but they've been snagged by the big comic shops for their works already (DC, Image, Marvel), and they are usually at the mercy of their writers as to how they draw things.
I think that the market for american-made manga is still growing and we'll start seeing it become more prevelant as the US-Affiliates start producing more Japanese and American manga for mass-consumption.
~Sean Larson~

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 12:35:55 pm »
Peach Fuzz is an Amerimanga, but it had an interesting beginning.

TokyoPop runs a contest called "Rising Stars of Manga" in the interest of discovering American artists specifically. Peach Fuzz was the winner the year before I entered. (Got an honorable mention, case anyone wonders.)

This is important to note, since this comic was not just some sort of corporate comglomerate's idea to fake a manga and get people interested. A real fan of manga and anime created something of heart and soul and won deserved recognition.

As for ferrets, I own two. They are actually the third most likely animal to live as a pet with humans, last I checked, so ferret art should have as much a following as any dog or cat comic.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:01:07 pm »
Some Amerimanga is good.  Would Megatokyo count as one?
I liked the Winner of the Fourth RSoM (Bombos versus Everything).  The fifth RSoM winner I seriously question though  :?  .

And keep an eye out for me in the future.  I hope to one day send in an entree to Tokyopop (but I'd like to finish school first).

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 10:23:50 am »
I thought dramacon is one of the good ones.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 01:09:58 am »
Ferrets scare the crap out of me ;-; One tried to bite me when I was little and I've been traumatized ever since.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 02:17:12 am »
The neighbor's Ferret ate my hamster when I was 9  (when the only anime was speed racer) all that was ever found was his tiny tail
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 02:31:49 pm »
O_o That is a totally valid reason to dislike them. I also think its gross how they can catch human colds. *shudders*

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Did anyone notice...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 05:42:10 am »
Yes, MegaTokyo would be considered Amerimanga. Heck, all it means is an American comic in the manga style.  In that  respect, MegaTokyo is in many ways closer to the style than a lot of American manga.... well, not that that makes it necessarily better.

As for the other comic they were considering, I was very happy to hear that it was Van Von Hunter. :D If you are skeptical about Amerimanga, you should check it out... well, just so long as you don't mind that it strives to be frickin' hilarious rather than dramatic. And the art is among the best manga-style art I've seen from an American artist. It's no wonder TokyoPop picked them up. And in any case, the studio had already been previously published before they started doing Van Von Hunter.

Personally, I think the choice to include American manga is very sound. Japanese manga not only tends to conform to genre standards... it also caters to a very specific cultural perspective. People tend to grossly underestimate the importance of this. Syndicated comics - heck, even most webcomics - are made to communicate at a very personal level with a specific culture. That's largely what makes them comics... at least, when you're talking about the kind that can be found outside a specialty comic store.

Basically, if you want to connect with your reader in 4-8 panels, 7 days a week... well, you generally have to make a large amount of assumptions about what they know. :P Just take a look at some of our classics: Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, Doonesbury, etc.  They all find ways to connect with the reader that would probably lose all humor & empathy value when removed too far from their native culture.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice