Author Topic: 2006 AMV Contest - Page is UP and we are GO!!!  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
2006 AMV Contest - Page is UP and we are GO!!!
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:21:36 am »
HERE IT IS:

http://www.ados.net/~guy1656/KumoriCon/K2006-AMV.htm

Good luck & have fun everybody!

- G

PS: A Submission form with link will be added to the page within a week.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:37:44 pm »
:oops: Uh.... >.>   <.< Not sure if were suppose to post here... *looks around* but will all the AMV's that are submitted for the contest and dont make it to one of the finals ones be played later on when the contest is over?? Even if I dont make it to the contest I really wanna share it with everyone at the con.

~Kimiski :o

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:13:55 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
:oops: Uh.... >.>   <.< Not sure if were suppose to post here... *looks around* but will all the AMV's that are submitted for the contest and dont make it to one of the finals ones be played later on when the contest is over?? Even if I dont make it to the contest I really wanna share it with everyone at the con.

~Kimiski :o

Well at the Rave they had last year they just played them all up behind the DJ, not with the AMV music, but it went really well together. So potentially youcould share your work but not the music if you don't get a chance to enter it into the contest.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: 2006 AMV Contest - Page is UP and we are GO!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:17:42 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"
http://www.ados.net/~guy1656/KumoriCon/K2006-AMV.htm

Link doesn't work for me :|

EDIT: nvm

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:40:59 am »
I'm slightly disappointed... From the sounds of it, if I made an Evangelion video to let's say... "Come Out Swinging" by; The Offspring... I wouldn't be able to submit it to the contest. It'd be more like the whole Action/Effects portion since the song itself hardly allows for anything else besides heart-pumping action. This closes alot of doors (particularly for myself, but I am sure others may have those same doors closed) and while I can understand why the decision was made (TONS of pseudo action and action videos out there) I personally don't like it.

What would make me happier is if there was a tiny bit more clarification on the words "Drama" and "Emotionally." From the sounds of it, the requirements for this category would have the AMVs be about love stories... But in a more liberal use of those words... I could create a fast-paced action filled AMV that is "emotionally powerful" where the emotion could be fear, happiness, anger, depression, love etc. Drama, as described by two different dictionaries is...

5. The quality or condition of being dramatic: a summit meeting full of drama. (Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.)

And to explain in a little more depth...
3 a : a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces (Source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

These definitions really allow for more room in submissions... Pretty much, if I made an AMV that was fast paced and action packed... But was emotionally driven... Would that fall under the "Drama/Romance" section? Despite the fact that it's not exactly a romantic AMV, rather, is dramatic?

I know I am being very annoying and a bit of a pest with these questions, but this clarification is VERY important to me because well... I'm going to try to run one or more fast paced, action filled and emotionally driven Evangelion AMVs in the contest... Besides, I'm fairly sure that others might be caught in the same situation (to a degree) as I am. If you could answer my questions I would be very much appreciative. I really hope I'll be able to showcase my work.

Edit: I also hope I didn't confuse you or make you feel like I am "stepping on your toes" in anyway, shape or form.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
almost nt
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:26:15 am »
(the purpose of this post is to kick it over the 'TEMPORARY' thread.'
Can the mods make it 'Sticky,' please? (Link to AMV Contest rules page.)

- GL

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:44:08 am »
So when we are done making it we burn it to a disc and send it in to the address along with our entry form???

Can I be messaged or something to know that you guys got it?? So I dont have to be all panicky that it might have gotten lost or damaged in the mail?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 11:24:00 am »
So when we are done making it we burn it to a disc and send it in to the address along with our entry form???

Can I be messaged or something to know that you guys got it?? So I dont have to be all panicky that it might have gotten lost or damaged in the mail?

A list could be made to show what videos have been received and their status in terms of approval and playability, similar to SakuraCon's system (although I doubt K-Con's webmasters want to make an entire login process and setup :P). It could be something simple such as a listing, like that of a pre-reg list.

For privacy issues or anyone who doesn't want others to see what the status is of their video(s), the only thing that could show on the list of videos are the different videos entry numbers, followed by it's status.

I kinda like this idea personally.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 04:22:55 pm »
Yeah thats a good idea.

I have another question too. If that is how we send it in (on a disc with entry form in mail) do we burn it onto the disc as a file you can access on a computer or as a DVD where as soon as you pop it in it begins to play?IM guessing as a computer file?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
They want it as a file, yeah. To be honest the contest rules don't say anything about DVDs, and those are typically preferred at contests (depending). If you need to, you can PM or email Guy about it if he doesn't respond in this thread soon.

Here are the gritty details about video files though:
Quote from: "Contest Rules"
1. AVI and MPEG only. No .wmv, .ra, .mov, .swf. If DivX compression is used, must be version 5.05 or lower. Bitrates should not exceed 1800Kb/sec. The works will be played on an Win2K system (no need to upgrade, right?) running on a 2.4Ghz AMD with 1MB RAM.
It's a good idea to encode each project in TWO formats, just in case one format plays MUCH better than another. Contest staff will select a 10-second segment to be used in the voting/recap phase of the contest.

2. Frame size must be at least 512 wide and at least 360 high.
640x480 and 720x480 are preferred.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 07:51:15 am »
Hey, Gang!

Eternal Yamcha -is- correct: a 'Drama' piece doesn't have to be a romantic love story (but there -will- be those, too.) This category is for intense works in which the emotional impact it imparts isn't based on action or flashy effects. But you can certainly show a story of anger, depression and a character's reaction to it, or triumph vs. despair, risk and anxiety, loss, regret, etc at a faster pace. 'The 'Drama' side means that the work is MUCH MORE focused on emotions, than say, muzzle flashes, air & space battles, and mecha stomping though town and trashing Tokyo Tower (yet again...)

I am going to bring up the questions about "Do we publicly post a list of received entries or not?" (and if so, what about before vs after the screening panel) and "Do we release the list of final selections ahead of the contest or not?" at the Apr 15th meeting, and get some feedback & discussion. Catch y'all after the weekend about these questions.

The submission form has a check-off for 'Notify me when this entry is received," and those go out by e-mail or telephone, if e-mail is not listed. So you should be 'covered'  there. My opinion is that only the individual creator needs to know that his or her works were received, but again, I want to bring this up and get some other ideas. Also, if files don't play I let those creators know privately and give them a chance to re-encode or fix playback glitches. It would be unusual for a re-submit to take more than 1 week past deadline.

Next, about format on media (especially DVD.)
- Your file will be an .mpg or an .avi.
- I stick the disk in a computer.
- I open a browser window or a command line and point it to the drive.
- I should see your file "whatever.avi" or "whatever.mpg" there so I can copy it into some other directory.

So, sounds like you should burn the disk as a 'data' disk and not an SVCD or 'DVD-player-ready' format. Does this answer clear up your question?

Lastly, about passwords/log-ons, etc: I don't like 'em. I want this contest to be as freely available & open to ALL as I can. Nothing says "Keep out, go away, members only, and You Will Be Watched' like a pair of username/login boxes.

- G

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 12:57:24 am »
Not entirely sure if this is relevant or not, but....

I got a good laugh when I read the following:

"The works will be played on an Win2K system (no need to upgrade, right?) running on a 2.4Ghz AMD with 1MB RAM."

See why I laughed?

I really needed a good laugh, too, and that simple type did wonders for me.

Thanks, Geirr, for that. :D

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
More Contest notes
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 06:41:44 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
"1MB RAM." See why I laughed?
Thanks, Geirr, for that. :D

Gack! - Mess up ONE capital letter amongst several THOUSAND on the page, and the meaning gets thrown off by TEN to the THREE .....  (OK the typo is fixed. But we ALL missed that one for, what, MONTHS now??)

IN OTHER NEWS: I floated the previous questions at last weekend's meeting, and the consensus was that when I receive an entry from Editor 'A,' (who will be notified privately,) neither the public nor Editors 'B,' 'C,' etc. really need to know about Editor 'A' until the actual contest. Now, there's nothing stopping anyone who receives a confirmation message from revealing that publicly: "Hey, they said they got my [whatever] work last week!"

The group also discussed what happens if two editors select the same show and possibly even the same music for the same category. Well, this sort of thing -does- happen: (a) at AX a few years ago they ran THREE Trailers back-to-back which were ALL done to Apollo 440's 'Lost in Space' - and of those TWO were done using Nadesico. (b) Even in the Olympics two figure skaters or gymnasts might coincidentally select the SAME musical piece, but it's luck-o-the draw as to who goes first...

In this year's contest, one of the 'rules' I am experimenting with is that there will be only ONE instance of any audio work, and within each category any one series appears only ONCE. We went over this earlier in the thread, but as examples: (a) the audience would only hear 'Dust in the Wind' or 'Points of Authority' or the trailer for 'Thank You for Smoking' a maximum of ONCE each. (b) There may be a Comedy work and a Drama work each using FMA, but you won't see two Bleach vids in the same category.

Anyways best wishes to ALL creators; I hope we all enjoy the results!
(Back to work on contest OP...  And one of my other projects...)

- GLL

PS Speaking of the contest OP - Can SOMEBODY e-mail me a graphic of the contest mascot? (Now, so that I don't get NINE e-mails of 3MB ea, please write me a TEXT e-mail if you have the full-size graphic, and I'll respond to the first one or two folks: guy1656 [at] ados [dot] net )

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
Re: More Contest notes
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 09:13:32 am »
Quote from: "Geirr"
In this year's contest, one of the 'rules' I am experimenting with is that there will be only ONE instance of any audio work, and within each category any one series appears only ONCE. We went over this earlier in the thread, but as examples: (a) the audience would only hear 'Dust in the Wind' or 'Points of Authority' or the trailer for 'Thank You for Smoking' a maximum of ONCE each. (b) There may be a Comedy work and a Drama work each using FMA, but you won't see two Bleach vids in the same category.

I'd rather go through four videos of the same OVA than have editor's videos be rejected just because someone "filled the spot" of a particular anime or song. That's being really selective. I griped about seeing a lot of FMA videos at SakuraCon this year, but in retrospect I prefer it that way. A video should not be seen as just the combination of a certain anime and a certain song but for it's unique creativity and effort.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 02:42:46 pm »
So uh yeah...
Im finally done with my first AMV for the contest *claps* Thank you thank you.. lol.. just kidding.

So I put it on the disc and send it in a package along with my entry form right? Again, can I be notified when it is recieved?

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
YEY !!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 07:51:54 am »
I'm finally done with my first AMV for the contest *claps* So I put it on the disc and send it in a package along with my entry form right? Again, can I be notified when it is recieved?
CONGRATS! (I wish there were a PRIZE for 'First Received,' or 'Months Ahead of Deadline for Once...')

Anyways - You're right about everything else. Send it in to the address shown on the contest page, and as long as you wrote or checked off on the form that you want to be notified, then "fiat voluntas tua."

Good Luck and THANK YOU!

- G

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 03:05:44 pm »
HURRAY!! Im first.. awesomeness.
But now im a little sad... the AVI file is too large for the disc.. T.T
And MPEg doesnt look as good... does n e 1 have a solution?

*hugs manga* random sorry.... :twisted:

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 04:13:59 pm »

What format is did you encode it in? If it's too big to fit on a disc, I can guess it's either in Huffy or uncompressed.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 05:59:32 pm »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"

What format is did you encode it in? If it's too big to fit on a disc, I can guess it's either in Huffy or uncompressed.

I have no idea whatsoever..
My Video Production teacher helped me make sure I had all the right stuff the contest requires me to have once I was done making it and wanted to burn it because I have no idea what that stuff means. I used Pinnacle studio 8 and just pushed the create and AVI and then when I tried to burn it, it said the file was too large.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
I have no idea whatsoever..
My Video Production teacher helped me make sure I had all the right stuff the contest requires me to have once I was done making it and wanted to burn it because I have no idea what that stuff means. I used Pinnacle studio 8 and just pushed the create and AVI and then when I tried to burn it, it said the file was too large.

Your only choice is to compress it then, which is a huge subject to cover (that and I'm not too good at it >_>).
 Here's a nifty guide for video compression regarding convention contests.

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 10:58:02 am »
I hope to get my entry done as soon as possible.  I've got a great idea from an old 90's classic.  Anyone a fan of Ska?  I am and so is my friend.  I haven't seen too many good Bleach amv's so I'm thrilled to see that AMV.org didn't post it as an over-used anime for amv's.  Makes it much easier on me.  

This will be my first amv I've entered for a contest so bare with me.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.