Author Topic: Mangaka in Oregon  (Read 14010 times)

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
Mangaka in Oregon
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:28:58 am »
Is there anyone or someone you know interested in becoming an mangaka/graphic novel artist in Oregon? I am just curious to see how many there are, and if so whether or not he/she have submitted a work to Tokyo Pop or other organizations. My sister used to draw manga, but now she is in Japan and has left much of her stuff behind. I was curious to see if there is anyone in desperate need of screen tone, nibs, ink, special paper, copic markers, etc because I got all the supplies you need to become a mangaka at home.

I just thought it would be nice to have someone come over to use the items since things like markers dry out over time and it is a waste to see it unused. All in all, I just would like to have a drawing buddy during my spare time. I just don't have any motivation to draw when I have no one to share stories or art with.
-A.I-

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:40:47 am »
Over here *Waves*

At least I hope to become one.  I have ideas but getting them down on paper is the hard part (composition, shading, lack of time due to school).  Next year I plan to take a break from college so that I can practice my drawings and submit some things to Tokyopop or Dark Horse.

I'm actually okay on supplies though.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:32:17 pm »
There will be manga contests and workshops at both Sakuracon and Kumoricon! Looking forward to the involvement of each of you, and anyone else!

Meantime I would love recommendations for prizes, and approximately what each would cost if I can't get them donated. Thanks and good luck in your creative endeavors!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:36:41 am »
I have a comic that I'm hoping to complete by Kumoricon-time.  It's called "Tainted Angel" and it's a drama/action series.  I hope you guys enjoy it and I'd love to chat more about it at the con.  I'll be selling some originals and my comic if things go as planned.  

Also, check out my deviantart gallery: bastett.deviantart.com for more images and comic book pages.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
Quote from: "bastett08"
I have a comic that I'm hoping to complete by Kumoricon-time.  It's called "Tainted Angel" and it's a drama/action series.  I hope you guys enjoy it and I'd love to chat more about it at the con.  I'll be selling some originals and my comic if things go as planned.  

Also, check out my deviantart gallery: bastett.deviantart.com for more images and comic book pages.

I don't like when people try to make "plugs" for their manga or website or whatever instead of replying to the topic at hand o.o

Anyway..I don't have enough skills to make manga, well I'm sure if I worked on it hard enough it would get better but I hope you find someone!

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:44 pm »
Quote from: "leashy"

I don't like when people try to make "plugs" for their manga or website or whatever instead of replying to the topic at hand o.o

Anyway..I don't have enough skills to make manga, well I'm sure if I worked on it hard enough it would get better but I hope you find someone!

*feels like a dumb-ass*  Sorry.  *bows in shame*

Now that I don't have a blood-shed-eye and I can read and comprehend what this is I will totally come by if you guys want some help.  I love drawing manga and am so there.  Thanks for the invite!

Sorry for being so.... blond.... *is a blond girl*

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:16:34 am »

reading my post again, I realize that is was kinda harsh.  sorry about that, I really wasn't trying to be that rude, I have just been in a bad mood lately ^^;

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:20:33 pm »
Quote from: "leashy"

reading my post again, I realize that is was kinda harsh.  sorry about that, I really wasn't trying to be that rude, I have just been in a bad mood lately ^^;

It's no problem.  I'm in a bad mood today but I'm getting out of it.  Actually, I'm dead tired lately but I should have read it like a normal/sane person.  Hahaha.

But I will visit this booth!  So, this is a place where we can get tones and use some matterial's, yes?  I'd love to come by and even draw!  How fun!  I am just tickled to go this year.  I plan on cosplaying as either Rizelmine or Allan Walker from the manga "D-Gray-Man."  I adore Allan Walker!!!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »
i think you're confusing two offers....the initial person who posted seemed to have a bunch of supplies a sister left behind, and was looking for anyone who created manga art and might use them.

i mentioned the fan creation station, which will have a variety of art supplies, including copic markers, for folks to use on-site, for manga contests.

i posted that thinking that whomever read the first post might be interested in that contest, and also, thinking that if no one else spoke up wanting to claim the leftover/used supplies, that perhaps they might be donated to the fan creation station at kumoricon.

and yes, it is a place where anyone can drop by and use any of the supplies. (copic markers and ink pens and airbrushing equipment can be used only within the fan creation station itself, and must be checked out by name and badge number. copic is a company and sponsors our art contests.)

however, the person who initially posted the thread did not necessarily mean people could drop by their house to use the stuff.

just wanted to be sure to clear up any possible confusion, sorry.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 08:49:53 am »
Oh wow!  Yeah, I will use them if they are around.  My name's Bastett and will be at the con this year.  I'll come by and check em out, maybe grab a few.  Sweet!

Yeah, confusion city but sorry for the mix-ups.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 10:44:52 pm »
^___^ I wanna become a manga-ka for Tokyo Pop and am interested in doing internships when I graduate High School and am looking to enter contest when I can put full effort and money into it.
Copic Markers are da bomb!! But soooooo spendy and I dont know where to get screen tones.

ART: http://kimiski.deviantart.com/

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 10:36:00 am »
I too want to become a manga-ka and submit something to Tokyopop for their RSOM contest. ^_^  In fact, I'm hoping to do that for their next contest (Due date is Jan. 2007)

@kimiski
Kinokuniya in Beaverton has screentones but beware because those things are EXPENSIVE.  I want to say it's something like $2 a sheet at least.  Some people use computer programs for screentones since it's a lot cheaper.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 02:49:03 pm »
i'm delighted there are folks interested in checking out the copic products. they were quite popular at sakuracon's creation station this year:)

i wonder what the outcome was in terms of the inital post in this thread?

Offline pajee

• Oni
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 03:47:54 pm »
To the original topic creator:  I think it's a great idea to get together with others and share supplies.  I have a somewhat weekly get together with a friend and all we do is draw. ^_^  It's fun and a great way to get Wednsdays out of the way. xD

I missed out on the Copic Marker panel at Sakura Con!  I'd love it if there was something similar at Kumori Con.  I want to try it before I invest heavy money into those suckers.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 09:53:50 pm »
Ah gosh now I totally wish I still lived in Oregon. *is in desperate need of supplies*

*pokes broken pencil and lined paper* ehhhh well I guess I shouldn't complain I do have my... tablet... though I suck at drawing online.

*stares longingly at the supplies in Oregon*

I doubt I'd ever be a manga-ka, but I would love to be a comic artist. Probably wouldn't do manga style however. Busy creating my own style... sooooo yeah. O_o' If I ever made anything of note it'd be one of those dinky comics in the thrift shop. Oh well *shrug*

But gosh, I envy you people that can pluck up enough patience to finish a whole story or project.
Sweet Times

Offline Zennus

• Cabbit
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 11:55:09 pm »
O_O Copics!?  oooh, everywhere I look at cons mainly at AX, they are really expensive, and I...am getting started on my manga, one is a doujin, and the other is an orginal peice but having Copic markers and tone would be...like a dream come true! *_*
I have Hero's Luck.

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
Update
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 03:34:59 pm »
I was able to attend Saturday and Sunday, and it was a blast! I am also moving out in few more weeks, so I brought two bags of art supplies to give away. I also included Naruto headband for any lucky person who grabbed it. XD I saw some of it being used for the creation station, so that made my day. As for screen tones, I've sold most of what I have to those who were interested, so I don't have it anymore. It was hard to part with things I had for so long, but alas I am limited to two suit case full to where I'm moving, so I hope everything now belongs to happy artists. X3
-A.I-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Mangaka in Oregon
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 05:09:41 pm »
Wow that was you? Those Japanese       papers were popular among my prize winners, thank you!