Author Topic: i want to get involved....  (Read 20053 times)

Offline arc_knight

• Cabbit
i want to get involved....
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:50:26 am »
i was intrested in joining security last year, unfortunatly it was like  a week befor the convention. so this year i wanna get on things early... (way early seeing as how the con was only 4 months ago)

anyways. i work on sakura con security as a cheif bodyguard. one of the 2 i figure after hearing that im going to do this he'll want to assist too. anyways, the two of us have been at it for... *counts* this is our 3rd year. i would say we've done it for 2 years but security work for sakura con goes on way before the con its self. although we're cheif body guards we usualy end up helping with alot of the general security work before and during the con. and setting up for the con too.

anyways, im not looking to come in and try to make a big deal of myself i really just wanna help out since i usualy get kinda bored at cons.

oh... also i have a question! i keep seeing this around... whats a yojimbo? i know what it is in japanese (nihongo yoku hanaseru yo. imi ga wakaru!) but whats the position. some people seemed really excited to be one on these forums.

im sure someones laughing about that question right now... but its best to know right?

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:05:13 pm »
Yojimbo is the security at the con  I do believe hencing I was a yojimbo and thats what I did
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline arc_knight

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:50:47 pm »
oh i get it. sakura con ran into a simular problem this year because there's actual security at the new venue this year. so now were called 'sakura attendee services' or sas for short.

but thats cool, i'd be glad to help out as a yojimbo!

Offline arc_knight

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 08:51:04 am »
man...

why is it every time i try to get onto kumori con staff no one ever gives me info on ppl to talk to? like, the head of security or something? anything?

its been almost 2 weeks...

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 12:04:35 pm »
Sorry, but no one on staff has been around. The person you need to speak with is Brownie, she is running the Yojimbo and her email is non_user_friendly@msn.com
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:45:19 pm »
@ arc_knight

Additionally, if you're interested at all, show up at the general meeting this Saturday.  That'll be your best bet to talk to who you need to talk to and get in on the good stuff.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline trowa_barton

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 07:06:14 pm »
Hi i was just wondering who i would talk to to get on yojimbo crew, my friend Brenda who works staff told me about it and i thought it would be a great way to help out.

thanks for your time,
                Trowa
I admire your strength. I wouldn't mind if you want to kill me, but I might struggle a bit.  
"I have no name, but if you must call me something, call me No-Name"

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:59:06 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
The person you need to speak with is Brownie, she is running the Yojimbo and her email is non_user_friendly@msn.com

gus said right here hehe

Offline trowa_barton

• Oni
yojimbo
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 03:05:48 pm »
Thanks a lot for the info.
I admire your strength. I wouldn't mind if you want to kill me, but I might struggle a bit.  
"I have no name, but if you must call me something, call me No-Name"

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:51:19 am »
Always like to help a fellow con goer!

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:41 pm »
...so who would I talk to about being a Translator/Interpreter??
Yuki-cyan77
KC'06: Staff - on call Sign Language Interpreter
SC'06: Wendy (GUNxSWORD), Aerith (FF7), Inuyasha
Staff - Translator

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 07:44:38 am »
You'll have to wait for the directors to respond but I don't think there is a need for any interpreters or translators.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 12:00:25 am »
I mean Inerpreters for the Deaf...just wondered if you guys needed one.
I'm not certified, but I am in a program to become an interpreter and I need to accumulate real-world interpreting experiece hours.
Yuki-cyan77
Staff - Translator

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 01:13:59 pm »
wow you guys are pretty ancy to get on the ball.. Maybe I am just not that prepared haha

Quote from: "Yuki-cyan77"
I mean Inerpreters for the Deaf...just wondered if you guys needed one.
I'm not certified, but I am in a program to become an interpreter and I need to accumulate real-world interpreting experiece hours.

that would be sooo cool, you should do it regardless of whether we need one or not it is always goto to have an asset for the hearing impaired

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:13:14 pm »
Actually I wanted to do this not only for the Con...but for my experience, new people to meet, and to spread the Con's reputation to be accessible for the Deaf.

**Why I'm for this (having a certified or a qualified interpreter on hand)**
I'm sure there are a bunch of Deaf/Hard of Hearing persons who would be interested in going to Cons, but they do not because they either feel they cannot or have a hard time getting equal access or feel impossing if they request for a certified/qualified interpreter.

Staff members who took American Sign Language (ASL) seminars is a start...but not quite qualified to interprete.
I do understand that Cons run on budgets, but if not get a qualified volunteer every year...maybe every so often is better than none.

I say this as a person who's career goal is to become a multilingual interpreter in verbal and signed languages.

Another thing: 9 out of 10 close Deaf friends of mine luv anime.
I was only able to get 1 to attend an anime con...
1st year- she felt awkward not being able to communicate with people other than writing back and forth using a notebook.
2nd year- she met a couple staff members who took a seminar on signing, but they were not trained properly and she felt some uneasiness asking them for dirrections and felt some discouragement.

I apologize for any uneasiness or awkward feeling I have stirred up.
However, I would like to help the Con expand their horizons because I feel it can be a benefit.  :)
Thank you to all who have read this and/or feel supportive.  ^-^=

I am a willing volunteer interpreter for ASL, ENG, and JPN for KC'06.
I can ASL interpret the panels and most events that are off the stage, but I will need to get permission from my mentor to be able to do any stage ASL interpreting.
Yuki-cyan77
Staff - Translator

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 10:07:13 am »
I say go for it.  Regardless if your deaf, blind, mute, handicapped or not, their all anime fans and their all welcome to attend. If they feel uncomfortable then this needs to be addressed so that they can be made to feel welcome and fit in :)

I myself am legally blind and can easily admit I dislike readinng subs and prefer dubs (please dont lynch me for saying that)  but regardless I try to fit in and am now a staffer security :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 02:57:42 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
I say go for it.  Regardless if your deaf, blind, mute, handicapped or not, their all anime fans and their all welcome to attend. If they feel uncomfortable then this needs to be addressed so that they can be made to feel welcome and fit in :)

I myself am legally blind and can easily admit I dislike readinng subs and prefer dubs (please dont lynch me for saying that)  but regardless I try to fit in and am now a staffer security :)

Kylite I have a question, and please don't take me as rude or anything because that is not my intention.  As legally blind, can you see likejust a little or are you completely blind? And like how do you see the boards?  i had a friend who was legally blind but could still see a little and it was really hard expecially because she was my biology lab partner but I just remember she would always have her comptuer and it would magnify the text a ton so that she could see it, it was pretty cool, it is the same for you? Or do you have like the computer read it to you?

hah, sorry I'm just curious :o

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 03:47:07 pm »
I have one ear and should get a hearing aid for the other soon, I have lost most of the high tones and have trouble talking to some women and children, when I eat at an Asian restaurant I cant hear/understand a thing the waitress says and I just nod a lot.    I took ASL in High School but all I remember are a few bad words.   When A friend found out I like subbed movies and anime and I knew some ASL she tried to get another friend of hers who is deaf to go to the Bijou to see subbed foreign movies on what she did not know was a blind date but she never would come out of her apartment even when tempted wit the seven samurai on VCR..
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:43 am »
to answer your question: I have enuf vision to function normally in life BUT I cant drive, or read text on things like fast food resturant menus, or subtitles from far away. I neve ruse font enlargers as it drives me nuts to scroll the screen so much LOL, I just have my nose up there when reading LOL. but dont let that fool ya im also the number 2 ranked champ for laser tag in oregon.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 01:55:38 pm »
*salutes Kylite* Sir! I challenge you to laser tag sir!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 02:22:17 pm »
They did not have lasers when I was a kid, we had to have flashlight wars and I was the king, especially in winter because I had an old white bed sheet in my pocket and put it on to hide in the snow for victims.

Now days I would could not win, as Waffles would try to sneak up on my left side I would turn to that side as he stumbled in the dark due to his goggles Kylite could sneak up on my deaf right side and laser tag me like a bag of beats at the checkout counter
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 03:10:59 pm »
*tries to pitcure all of that and falls over laughing* that is just soo wrong.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 03:14:19 pm »
where do they have laser tag around here?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 04:31:37 pm »
Ultrazone http://yp.yahoo.com (look it up)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 04:54:25 pm »
ohh o.o Ultrazone is pricey.. How long are games?

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 12:14:22 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"

Thanks!! ^-^=
I'm still trying to get a hold of the K-Con personel I should talk to...(which is who??)

I hope they'll take me up on my offer. Certified/qualified interpreters can charge as much as $60 an hour...so I heard. Most will not be an on-call w/out being paid an on-call fee.
Yuki-cyan77
Staff - Translator

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 01:02:47 pm »
Ultrazone is 20 bucks for friday frenzy (my prefered time to go) but havent gone in the last year cause I cant get home after it. midnight isnt trimet friendly LOL

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 06:36:03 pm »
Brownie's e-mail is almost unsettling, nightmares of Windows. Anyhow, all I pretty much have to do is send her an e-mail and pretty much say "Hey, my soul is yours for the taking. I want to be on staff" or something along those lines? I want to get this clear since... Well... I hate randomly e-mailing people without an idea of what to say.

kylite - I wonder who is the #1 laser tagger in Oregon then? Probably not me (not joking.) We should get a K-Con Ultra Zone meet up soon, I've got money to spend and haven't gone since I last went with you. Also, I feel the itch to boff.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 12:12:00 am »
ah the love of boffer sword fights between rounds of laser tag. (tho the mocking crowds were insane) anywho...

Just email brownie with the request and let her know you are dedicated to yojimbo and wont deviate from orders given in times of need. (some issues last con *chuckles*)

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 01:45:35 am »
Thanks bro!

And yeah, I know of a couple of those problems at the last con. The one I really remember was the whole "we have too many people coming to the cosplay competition!" In which I had to make a head count, was asked to be security, then ended up helping Sean (I HOPE I got his name right) set up for the competition. It was that scene that made me decide I wanted to work "behind the scenes" some.

Edit: What I mean by "Some" is, security works infront and with the con-goers directly. So they're not entirely behind the scenes.

Also need to comment on the boffer fights. Those things are excellent, especially since we get the security there watching us keeping an eye out for us ^_^ Friends in somewhat high places, eh? The mocking crowds are usually easy to ignore, but when they really get into our faces about it, it makes you want to beat on them... Just a little.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 09:03:00 am »
it kinda like and evolved state of the con goer, first we go and have a great time then were like "i had a great time how can i help and make sure others have a great time as well"
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:49 pm »
Who should I be contacting about being a volunteer multilingual interpreter??
Yuki-cyan77
Staff - Translator

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 09:21:38 pm »
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I beleive Relations or Personel would be the place you'd want to contact: relations@kumoricon.org
personnel@kumoricon.org
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nightbladesden.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 09:45:35 pm »
hey Kri could ya send me an email with the pubicity staff email addys if at all possible??
I'm having troubles tracking down some of them cause I don't know their second names.
This is Crystal btw.
I need a life. Mind if I take yours?

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
To you any other would be helper
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 07:28:14 pm »
@yuki-cyan
It's great to have wonderful people like you, who are willing to help out to bring our convention closer to all people.

FYI - If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, you can always contact a director directly, through the links on the main page of the site. The forums contain so much info, that a lot of posts like this are brought to my attention by other moderators, rather than my reading them myself.

You can also pm me. I check the forums daily, though I may not read in every area, and my email alerts me to any new messages.

*** The best way to get involved is to talk to the director in the area you want to work in, and attend the general meetings, when you can.***

Descriptions are on the main page, under contact info.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nightbladesden.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 07:56:50 pm »
*chuckles* I just sorta got drafted. Showed up to meet a friend and POOF, next thing I know I'm at the pubilicty staff meeting *lol* it was fun. I actualy am thinking of becoming a Yojimbo this year. *shrugs* I have to talk to kylite about it first though.
I need a life. Mind if I take yours?

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 08:40:55 pm »
Quote from: "Darkerlight"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I beleive Relations or Personel would be the place you'd want to contact: relations@kumoricon.org
personnel@kumoricon.org

Thanks!! I'll try those first. ^-^=

^ EcchiSpice,
I think I might have contacted someone before, but was told that Japanese and American Sign Language interpreters weren't needed...I'll give it another shot. Thanks!! ^-^
Yuki-cyan77
Staff - Translator

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 03:26:09 am »
Quote from: "NightBlade"
hey Kri could ya send me an email with the pubicity staff email addys if at all possible??
I'm having troubles tracking down some of them cause I don't know their second names.
This is Crystal btw.

*pounces on Crystal*  This is Heidy
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Flatline

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 05:02:02 am »
Hey there. I posted on another board, but just to get the word out, I'm willing to offer my services as a yojimbo, and I hope it's not too late to do so.
For the Emperor!