Author Topic: "I'm not really into..."  (Read 23774 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« on: December 11, 2005, 04:30:05 am »
There are tons of different factions within an anime convention. We even see some spillover from hobbies such as Go and kanji calligraphy. However, it's easy to guess that there's a healthy amount of stuff that some of us just aren't interested in.

So, what parts of the stereotypical list of "Otaku Interests" do you hold no interest in? You can name typical American otaku interests OR typical Japanese otaku interests. :)

I'll start off:

1. I'm not really into miniatures or figurines. I've bought a couple as convention souvenirs, but I largely don't appreciate the point of them. I'd rather have media. This really sets me apart from Japanese fandom; figurines are REALLY big over there.

2. I'm not terribly interested in hentai. I admit I'm no innocent, but I've never put it on my list of convention interests.

3. Mecha. I could take it or leave it. I don't see what the big deal is with big robots. I honestly haven't gotten excited about a big robot since I was a kid collecting transformers.

4. Lastly, military stuff. I only very recently realized there's actually a military otaku faction in America, but that's probably because they don't  have any particular reliance on anime for their hobby. I met some military otaku at the last Kumori Con, and they were nice guys, but my interest shared was zero.

What aren't YOU into? :)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:23:37 pm »
I've got a few things.

1. (I agree with Raiden) I don't enjoy watching anime that revolves around mechs. I just don't think it's very entertaining.

Don't shoot me for this one..
2. I don't like watching anime in Japanese. Subtitles can be very confusing.

That's all. ^^;

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:25:19 pm »
I'm really not into...

Gundam.
Giant robots never got my attention. They just... didn't.

But what's weird is I love making the robots? Like the grage kits? o_o I really want to build and paint one. Only paint it like, crazy colors. Rainbow.

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:09:09 pm »
I don't really like cons that only have "popular" stuff in the dealers room. I like finding new things, and a con is a good place to find stuff obscure.

I agree on the hentai thing.

And htere are WAY too many mech shows.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 05:11:23 pm »
Wow, I don't think this kind of topic has ever been made before.   :shock:

I'm not into very many fighting-type anime.  They're okay but it starts to become predictable that there will always be a tournament.  Then there's also how the fights tend to drag on to the point of being ridiculous.  "I'll unleash my ultimate power."  "You did that already."  "Really?  Well, I've obtained a new level of power, so there."  "How long will it take to power up?"  "About 5 episodes."

I'm not into anime and actually other types of media that's really bloody.  No specific reason; they're just not my cup of tea.

I'm kinda indifferent about mechs.  I think there are some good mech-shows but hard to find.  IMHO, I think if you don't focus entirely on mechs, the story can pass off as good.

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 08:40:40 pm »
I'm not really into Gundam. The only mecha series I enjoyed was Eva.
I'm also not a big fan of Sports or Fighting anime/manga.
Also series that drag on way too long. I don't HATE them, but I find them boring. Like Inuyasha, Pokemon, etc. They start getting way to predictable after a while.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:43:47 pm »
I like Gundam and all, but I am honestly not that interested in a $300.00 super perfect grade model kit. Especially because you have to put it together, and if you screw up, that money is gone forever.

Watching an episode of Genshiken where they put those together made me realize my dislike for the model kits. However, I do like action figures and resin statues (I have a few of those statues, from Tenchi Muyo, Please Teacher, and Fist of The North Star).

Japanese food. I am an Otaku, but I honestly like Chinese food more than Japanese food. I dislike sushi, but I also admit I have only tried it a few times, and it could have been prepared wrong, so I am still open for that one.

I also don't have a particular liking to figurines. They brake to easily, and it can get very frustrating to keep track of them. Also, the whole Bottle Cap thing. The only Bottle Caps I have ever collected where in Resident Evil 4, and thats a video game, so I am not sure I should even count that.

I'm not sure if I should count the next one, but I am gonna say it anyways. I dislike people who claim to be Otaku because its supposed to be the "in" think now. I've been one for over ten years, I remember the times when you could get either subbed or dubbed videos, before bilingual dvds. Back when Viz was completely cornering the market with their Ranma videos and all of their manga, and back when it took around 13 hours to download a single fansubbed Sailor Moon episode. In Real Media format no less!

Now there are tons of companies that do anime and manga, and because it has more media attention now, people are sprouting up, claiming to be otaku because its "cool". I dislike it, and I find it annoying. I hope something else comes along so these shallow people can move on to that soon and leave our fandom alone.

Thats all I got for now.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 01:12:17 pm »
Very interesting topic indeed. =)

Let's see...

Yaoi. I am a HUGE fan of bish, I collect anime and manga with beautiful male characters. I collect art of beautiful male characters. And just because a male character is bish, doesn't mean he likes men. And it especially doesn't mean he wants to get with his friends in that same series. Some fanworks twist things in a bad way! I mean Roy and Edward? Sanzo and Goku? Kenshin and Sanosuke? What's up with that nonesense?? LOL!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 01:41:11 am »
Quote from: "cupcake_abuser_zooshi"
Also series that drag on way too long. I  don't HATE them, but I find them boring. Like Inuyasha, Pokemon, etc. They start getting way to predictable after a while.

Personally, I'd call this more of a "preference"... just because you generally don't see fans at a convention banding together according to how long they like their series to run.  However, I can easily see how that ties in with your other dislikes. Shounen anime and certain other genres, when made for Japanese television, do sometimes tend to go on and on.

Quote from: "Dustin"
I like Gundam and all, but I am honestly not that interested in a $300.00 super perfect grade model kit. Especially because you have to put it together, and if you screw up, that money is gone forever.

$300...?!?  :shock: Crap, I could could make four cosplays for that price! Or buy 6 brand new RPGs... or a boxed DVD set of most any anime out there. Yeah, most of otakudom is pretty steeped in consumerism... It's to be expected, but there's only so broke you can go. <.<; That's another reason I'm not into figurines and models and cels...

Quote from: "Sinaj"
Yaoi. I am a HUGE fan of bish, I collect anime and manga with beautiful male characters. I collect art of beautiful male characters. And just because a male character is bish, doesn't mean he likes men. And it especially doesn't mean he wants to get with his friends in that same series. Some fanworks twist things in a bad way! I mean Roy and Edward? Sanzo and Goku? Kenshin and Sanosuke? What's up with that nonesense?? LOL!

I agree, although I find it very difficult to say so in public without getting the Death Glare from any nearby fanficcers. ^^;; It's difficult sometimes, because I've seen fanfics by some very talented writers who nevertheless were quite into the idea of portraying heterosexual characters in gay relationships, something I can't quite understand.

There's a limit to how much I should say about it, though: the fact that I'm not into it, doesn't mean others can't be. However, if it's a debate about "what's canon?", I tend not to hold back. ;)

("Dammit, Sheik is NOT male!")

Quote from: "Negima"
Wow, I don't think this kind of topic has ever been made before.   :shock:

What, really?... Well, if not, then it was high time someone did! :)

You see, personally, I've always held a number of interests that just happen to conflict with the anime-loving mainstream. I didn't plan it that way. I just have an infallible ability to fall in love with series that don't end up being #1 hits in America, like Scrapped Princess. I'm into fantasy and some sci-fi, but not big mechs. I love RPGs, but not really Final Fantasy. And I don't particularly like Naruto.

Well hey, it's okay if people like things I don't like. I just don't want people speaking for me, y'know? :? Like, you can't assume someone likes Evangelion, JUST because they like anime. Or Naruto, or yaoi/yuri, or Final Fantasy, or hentai. :P

Apollo Justice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 11:22:14 am »
for me i dont have acess to all the new anime so its like talking to some one "yes i love bebop: other person "me too have you seen ******** anime? : uh no, or i'll have seen 4 episodes of an anime and and its hard enough for me to keep real peopls names strait let alone a anime shows cast (sakaki i want to be sakaki) it doesen't make me any less of an otaku
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 11:53:04 am »

I wouldn't be surprised by a model with that kind of price tag.  In Shinjuku, Japan, there was one store I went to a lot where, among its 4 stories, one of them was dedicated entirely to models and model kits.

I think I forgot to mention a few others.  I've never exactly understood the whole figurine thing.  If it's a character that you're a big fan of then I can understand or you think the design looks really cool (and it's cheap) then I can understand.  But when it costs over $50 or even $30 then I would ask why get it.

And has anyone else seen those pillows or whatever that have characters printed on them (usually in swimsuits)?  Somehow those things scare me when I think of what people could do with those things.  Blame Tenchi GXP for putting the idea in my head (if you've seen some of the early episodes, you know what scene I'm refering to).

Sorry, I'm in semi-rant mode...
Regarding the "fights that drag on" comment I made earlier, I think it would be an interesting idea for an AMV if someone where to compact the whole battle with Frieza and Goku.  Why?  Frieza said Nammec (spelling?) would explode in 5 minutes yet they take forever to finish fighting.  So what if someone were to compact the entire fight into 5 minutes with a song that lasted about five minutes?  

Quote from: "Radien"

And on that note... a handful of webcomics from DA relating to that very topic.  (Not my artwork)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15386698/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15387395/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16768046/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23784862/

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:39:15 pm »
I'm not really into anime much anymore... :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

I have been completely swept away by HK film, the YuGiOh card game, and tv shows like '24' and 'LOST'.  Still, I enjoy anime from time to time and I love putting on the Salem events and going to the convention, but I just don't have the excitement for anime I once had.  :(
The trick is not minding.

Offline rygoody

• Cabbit
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 08:57:32 pm »
anything with boy on boy action = no

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 10:47:22 pm »
Radien - To be perfectly honest, I do buy cels. But only select ones. I have about six from Tenchi Muyo (All Ryoko :D) and five or six from Guyver (a couple Guyver I, and a couple Guyver III). Thats about all I have in terms of cels. I guess the reason I bought those is because I like the feeling I get from being able to say I own part of it. I wonder if that makes any sense or not?

Rarnom - I am a huge fan of Lost aswell. I love good television, which is probably why I am still waiting for a John Doe season one box set. :(

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 05:43:47 am »
Quote from: "Negima"

And on that note... a handful of webcomics from DA relating to that very topic.  (Not my artwork)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15386698/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15387395/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16768046/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23784862/

*LOL*... Okay, this person may be in favor of male Sheik, but she totally got it down in that third comic. ;) It gets my thumbs up.

The second one confused me, though.

Radien - To be perfectly honest, I do buy cels. But only select ones. I have about six from Tenchi Muyo (All Ryoko :D) and five or six from Guyver (a couple Guyver I, and a couple Guyver III). Thats about all I have in terms of cels. I guess the reason I bought those is because I like the feeling I get from being able to say I own part of it. I wonder if that makes any sense or not?

Oh, I understand. It's just... well... I could say that I'm not into the whole "packrat mentality," but the truth is that I am. Badly. However, instead of WANTING to get more stuff just for the sake of having it, it's more like I already HAVE all this stuff I don't need, from my past and childhood, that I have failed to throw out only because I have a hard time doing so. So in truth... I'm bad enough as it is. I don't need encouragement from new hobbies. :shock:

....Oh, two other things I'm "not into" came to mind.

5. The "underage" thing. Teenagers can be attractive, but definitely not before age 16, bare minimum. :P No pedo for me, thanks.

6. Maids. They seem to be part of some Japanese fantasy. Many anime series and even video games (even Soul Calibur 3...!) will often use any excuse to fit them in. Sure, they're cute, but what's with this obsession...?

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 10:29:47 am »
*LOL*... Okay, this person may be in favor of male Sheik, but she totally got it down in that third comic. ;) It gets my thumbs up.

The second one confused me, though.

The artist does a lot of Super Smash Brothers Melee comics so she often does crossovers including Young Link and Adult Link.

6. Maids. They seem to be part of some Japanese fantasy. Many anime series and even video games (even Soul Calibur 3...!) will often use any excuse to fit them in. Sure, they're cute, but what's with this obsession...?

After being over there when a sort of "Maid Boom" started (3 mangas about maids came out while I was there), personally, I think it has to do with the someone-serving-you thing, but I'm not sure.  I just remember watching on TV over there a small piece on what was in Akihabara.  They showed a Maid Cafe where you're greeted by maids saying "Welcome Master."  You can also buy key chains with the maids' pictures on it, even talk to one of the maids for 10 minutes but it'll cost you.

I can "kinda" understand why but, yeah, if I knew someone who was obsessed with it I would still ask them why.

Offline chibi_kuroneko

• Oni
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 11:17:31 pm »
I never really liked mecha anime. I did really enjoy Evangelion, and I'm totally in love with Escaflowne.

Military stuff, I never really liked, but I like German WWII type stuff in more of a fashion point of view.

As for hentai, it's not really my thing. But I do have a strang fascination with Lolicon, but nothing that involves rape.

Offline KanaM

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~miyavichik
Im really not that into...
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 04:33:29 pm »
Im really not that into.......Anime in general

Offline Krn Doxy

• Cabbit
    • http://myspace.com/krndoxy
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 03:34:18 pm »
I'm glad to see that mechs aren't that interesting to anyone else either.  I remember watching Kannazuki No Miko and thinking, "The shoujo-ai is cute (at the beginning), but the mechs are kinda boring."

Dubbing is gross.

Para Para Paradise.  I know it's popular, but I just think that DDR for hands looks kinda stupid.  Plus, it doesn't give you the workout that DDR does.

Not too into hentai.

That's it, I believe.
Only you can see the murky deep.  Only you know my heart.  You understand the way I am as I stare at you from the dark.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 04:12:54 pm »
I'm not a fan of yaoi, yuri, or hentai

I'm also not too big on the whole mecha thing. It kinda bores me, to be honest

another thing would be the fact that all of the dealers have the same stuff.... c'mon people, get creative and introduce us to some more awesome varieties (not to say that naruto, fma, etc. doesn't kick ass, but it just gets kinda old seeing the same stuff)....
that's about all I can think of at the moment... yep
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 04:49:14 pm »
hmmmm... i dunno...i guess the only thing i don't take an imidiate likeing to would be anime i perfer manga...and people that cosplay that really generic person aka inu-yasha,naruto,fma people
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 05:52:37 pm »
Hmm... Nice subject.

I'm not entirely too fond of the "popular" animes. Whilst I know about them when they're unpopular, I kinda lose interest in them when they hit mainstream.

J-Rock... I'm not saying the music is bad, but I have a problem with the cosplayers. For me, there are always these J-Rock cosplayers that decide they want to glare at the anime cosplayers like 'What the hell are you doing here? This is our con!' It annoys me. There are always those J-Rock cosplayers at every anime convention I go to... Keyword, ANIME convention. It's really just a personal thing.

Hardcore hentai. I hate the stuff. I saw one thing and was like.... o...0 *scared for life* Anyways, I don't mind softcore hentai of any kind. But, the evil rape stuff.... That just gets to me.

Too many of one character at a convention. Yes, I do know that it will happen, but still. It's annoying. I.E. I was hunting a certian cosplayer at Sakura-Con 2006, and I lost him in a crowd of Bleach cosplayers, I never saw him again. Which made me really sad.

I hate seeing the same thing in the Dealer's Room. It gets really boring. I am a Sailor Moon fanatic. I will hunt through a Dealer's Room to try and find anything of the anime thatt I can. But, when I'm crowded with Naruto, FMA, Bleach, etc. stuff, it gets annoying. Yes, those animes are popular, but damn, I've seen the same things over and over for about the past five booths! >.<

That's about it for now.... I can't really think well. Been drugged up on cold medicine about all week.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 07:28:56 pm »
I'm not into Yaoi... Nor will I ever fully comprehend why so many girls are into it... Or guys for that matter. Not that I'm against it or anything, I just don't like it.

J-Rock/J-Pop, yeah, they're good... But I still prefer good ol' American rock over it anyday of the week.

I HATE fanboys/fangirls... Those people actually get me to dislike animes. Inuyasha and Naruto are ones. I liked Naruto alot and still sorta do, but the fans are swamping me... This goes with Kingdom Hearts as well >.>

There's probably alot more that I can't think of at the time, so I may edit this post later or just make a new post later.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 08:36:12 pm »
well so far i've gotten that we dislike

~over popular things
~mecha
~Hentai/hentai yaoi yuri
~and the same thind....
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 09:31:04 pm »
Quote from: "Hell_Kitty"
i perfer manga...

You are now my friend.  ^_^ (Also prefers manga over most anime)

Hmm, I know I posted in this thread but I guess that was before the system hiccup.

I don't like anime that have long tournaments and fights being the main focus of the story.  ... actually I need to word that a little better.  Tournaments and fights are okay as long as they don't drag on forever.  Example: Dragon Ball and DBZ.  The first tournament in DB was good.  The fights are usually 1 or 2 episodes long; nice, short, and quick.  In DBZ, the fight with Vegeta was alright, at least they kept it reasonable.  The fight with Frieza... don't get me started.  I skipped 2 weeks of it and didn't miss a thing.

Mechas I find okay.  I don't hate them but they're not my cup of tea.  Every now and then you do find a good one that stands out.

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:20 pm »
i just think fighting and talking don't mix well. i mean a cool fight scene is cool but dbz prolonged fighting i agree are unesecary(i can't spell T_T)
Current Cosplay Idea's

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 09:40:57 pm »
I'm proud to say i am one of those people who likes the boyxboy stuff...though not when it goes over board... I've even bought my far share of Kenshinx Sano and Royx Hughes but RoyxEd = Pedo and Harry potter yaoi = just no not my cup of tea....

As far as stuff I don't like.... Yaoi fangirls...ya know, the type who you walk up to and they go on and on about how they were meant to be Though most of the people i see seem to do this about Hiei and Kurama...which is a pairing that just irks me...(mind you I have a thing for RoyxHughes but I know that it's just for fun...god knows they weren't "meant to be" 'cause we all know Hughes would never abandon his dear elicia-chan)

I don't mind mech anime as long as it doesn't over take the series...I like my human interaction thank you...

Main Characters who only whine, cry and moan *cough Shinji*

People who claim to be Otaku in general.... okay...this is mostly about people in my school who think it's cool to throw a plush snorlax at the back of my head during psychology >_>;;; These people know who they are...Well I guess not everyone who says "I'm an Otaku" but the kind of people who look down on you if you don't know some minor detail about some series no one knows of...

Looking back on this i see that I'm a pretty unfriendly person... o_o;;;
basically as far as fandoms...too many people take it too far...I mean it's just a hobby in the end right?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 09:41:43 pm »
Quote from: "Hell_Kitty"
i just think fighting and talking don't mix well. i mean a cool fight scene is cool but dbz prolonged fighting i agree are unesecary(i can't spell T_T)

Agreed.

Example:
Goku: Frieza is gaining power.  What am I going to do now?  Wait!  Maybe if I gather enough strength from everything on the planet, I'll be able to defeat him.  But that would require time to concentrate, to focus, and then to form the en*SLAP*  What hit me?!

Frieza: You were standing there for 10 minutes.  What did you think I would do?

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 09:55:28 pm »
i like the idea of bwahahaha i'm evil so i can just talk for 20 min while you think of a way to kill me bwahahaha i'm so evil :roll:
Current Cosplay Idea's

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 10:08:36 pm »
isn't it weird when you've known an anime for like 2 yrs. before it's released on cartoon network, then when you go back to school you see all of these people wearing the merchandise?... that's what urks me about newbies, but then again we all had to start out somewhere... just wish that they wouldn't make so obvious in them being new... it's like tourists in las vegas.... ANNOYING

Offline sol.ch

• Cabbit
    • http://myspace.com/schoe1988
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 10:47:28 pm »
Plenty of stuff I'm just not into...

-Para Para.  Sorry, not a guy thing IMO.
-Gundam.  I've watched thousands of episodes of various shows of all genres, but not a single episode of Gundam whatever.  It just didn't appeal.
-Figurines.  

That's really it...

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 11:31:14 pm »
Not a fan of mechs,

Not a fan gay fan fics with strait characters but I do like the real deal.

I am totally a fan of Gravitation.

I am not a fan of Excel Saga in english yuck!!

I enjoy some dub some sub it just a matter of how the characters come accross.
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 12:20:24 am »
Speaking of dubbing...

I'm not into people who go to the ends of the earth to gripe, groan and complain about dubbing. I'm not really into sub (though watching animes with English dubbing and English subtitles actually can help you understand more of the series or what's going on.) Not EVERYONE will take their time to learn a language for a hobby, or will want to sit there and watch something with subs. And, while English dubs aren't always the best... The Japanese don't get away scott free... All I need to say is "Goku in the Japanese version of DBZ" and people should know what I mean.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:19 am »
@Eternal Yamcha
I agree completely with what you say!  its really annoying when people start complaing and blasting something when they barely watch it or cut them some slacks(sometimes, its NOT the dubbing companies fault you know)
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 12:45:31 pm »
@Eternal Yamcha & Seraph

Dubbing isn't always that bad. For me, it's the only way that I can watch certian animes, due to my lack of money and time to "obtain" them. What I don't like the horrible done dubbing, i.e. Sailor Moon.... Enough said. I've always thought that to really understand anime, you needed to see how the Americans protray the anime you love so much.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 04:07:48 pm »
No... I am for dubbing and I prefer to watch most animes with English dubbing. Sure, there are a number of animes that were dubbed in English that aren't that good (*coughs* Naruto *cough cough*) but it's just zounds more convienent for me.

As for your theory, it's only partially true. It's best to watch the raw footage... But for some people, that is nearly impossible. But watching the English version can help you see the series from a different angle. To really understand a series that you love, you need to go up and beyond the average person. You can't just give the series a passing thought, you need to really delve deep into as many aspects of the series that you can.

Of course, I'm talking from my own Evangelion experi-ance.

Offline rasetsutaisho

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.shinjinrui.cjb.net
Re: Im really not that into...
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 10:28:59 am »
Quote from: "KanaM"
Im really not that into.......Anime in general

yeah i think i know what you mean... i was just at sakura con... and i remember looking through the schedual of what anime was showing (this is relevent i swear, im sure you arnt talking about watching anime specificly) but i never once during the whole 3 days went into any of the 3 viewing rooms to watch anime... and i havent for a few years except to watch 'otaku no video' with a good friend of mine... (it was soooo insperational)

i did however sit in for a veiwing panel for tofu records they showed music videos... it was pretty cool singign along with people i didnt know to our favorite j-rock and j-pop songs...

but anyways, i seriously notice there are too many types of peope who like anime with far too many difrences to ever say 'THIS IS WHAT AN OTAKU/ANIME FAN/SHINJINRUI LIKE OR DISLIKES'  but i think for the most part ppl will always like certain things

such as:

pretty things (like bishonen either in anime or in real life)

hardcore action (like advent children, or boffing out in the back yard)

and

person to person interactin (either at cons, anime stores, or in manga and anime)

anyways, to keep on topic... i'd have to say

i dont like gundam but i do like some robot games (like xenogears... i really liked killing god! it was sooo awesome)
i dont like haveing to deal with ppl who fight about subed and dubed anime
i dont like sitting and discussing anime series (they do that a lot in genshiken)
i dont buy hentai (well i did once but that was only to sell to minors)
i dont like figurines
i dont have an obssesion with ramen and pocky (i've seen people almost get scurvy from this kind of diet)

but i'll also tell you what i do like

i like meeting people
i like dancing to music from japan and video games,
i love japanese clothing
i like martial arts
i love speaking japanese
i like playing awesome games (like resident evil 4, xenogears, dirge of cerebus (yeah my friend pirated it) final fantasy 12 (pirated that too) gekito ninja taisen 4)
i like naruto (and theres nothing you can do about it, but then again i like teenage mutant ninja turtles before naruto)
i like cosplaying
i like drinking at anime conventions!!!! hahahahahahaha! (except when ppl pass out in hallways... thats not really cool)

Offline Xaam

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/allyson_l
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 12:10:35 pm »
I don't like shounen manga or anime. They seem very similar to me. Things like Love Hina that play off of the same jokes over and over, series that have very unrealistic situations. It just seems like the romance section of the anime-world is the section that (regrettably) suffers the most from unrealistic situations.

Give me some romantic manga like Nana! But stop throwing predictable mary-janes at me.

I don't like fanfiction. Period. I like reading what the author of a series writes, and I don't resent finficcers in any way, I just don't like fanfiction at all.

I don't like posters. There aer tons of posters and wall scrolls at conventions, but my room is so small! Besides, I actually try and decorate my room (like paint the walls and keep it look nice and tidy) and posters just clash so badly. (Heheh...I'm such a hypocrite though....I have this bigass poster of Escaflowne on the inside of my closet door).

Now....this one will most likely incur the wrath of otakus and lesser forms of artists....but I really don't like it when people get extremely otaku-ish. Let me elaborate on what I mean:

I'm in no way disturbed or turned off by people who are passionate about what they read. Heck, I'm cosplaying with a friend this year! But it gets taken so far by some people. When people get completely obbsessed with anything it annoys me, and anime is no different.

When a tall and skinny zit-faced white guy is following me around and rattling on about every random japanese thing he knows....its really pathetic. I just wanna grab his shoulders and scream in his face "You're not japanese! Get over it!".

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well....ah well. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's hard to swallow when someone won't shut up about anime. Extreme otakus = big turnoff.
I refuse to believe people refuse to believe the truth.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 04:17:46 pm »
Yes...

Mecha should DIE!! They arent interesting to me at all. It makes me sad to that the new anime on adult swim is going to be one... I have nothing to watch n Saturdays now that FMA finished.

No big on Hentai either. Yuck. Dont need it.

I also dont like the animes like Yugioh, pokemon, or anyting that is centered around dueling with cards or nothing. Also animes that are ALL action and nothing but, with like no story. Or animes like (dont kill me...) DBZ where a freaking fight can last 10 epsidoes in a row.

Or the really cutsey anime where they are all in chibi form dancing around and have attacks like "sugar love pony express" Bleh!! *dies*

And I agree with the thing about the dealers room only having stuff from the popular animes. I mean, they have to have that cause the majority likes it and your there to make money and sell... but it is nice to see merchandise from animes that areant super huge.

THats all I can think of.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 06:42:29 pm »
Quote from: "kimiski"

And I agree with the thing about the dealers room only having stuff from the popular animes. I mean, they have to have that cause the majority likes it and your there to make money and sell... but it is nice to see merchandise from animes that areant super huge.

What happens if my booth has nothing from a popular anime and just generic fun stuff?    Actually the only things I know I will have from a specific anime are Wolf's Rain Collars and Naruto Head bands but the point of each is I would also be offering to acid etch customers names or self made symbols on the spot

I'll just be there to make the vacation sort of pay for it self or break even
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Disco Pete

• Cabbit
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 11:21:43 pm »
I guess I gotta say it:
I like Mecha.

That's not to say that I like ALL mecha, but I like SOME mecha.

I don't follow the latest thing to come out of Japan, and I don't like feeling like some kind of loser because I'm not following Precure or Fate/Stay Night.  I don't dig the whole Yaoi thing.  I'm not into video games, or DDR, or card games.  I don't like anime that focuses too much on a game, like Yu-Gi-Oh (however, I totally dig Hikaru no Go).  I'm not into figures or plushies (models, I'm divided on. I bought a Master Grade Gouf Custom (Gundam: 08th MS Team) at Sakuracon.  It's my first model, and one of my fave Mobile Suits, so I decided to give it a try).

I don't like the Dub-Sub debate- AT ALL.  

I used to think cosplay was silly, and even a little sad.  However, my opinion on that has been changing for some time; I've even pondered whether I should cosplay at Kumoricon, and who as.  Another thing that's changed is my opinion of the word "Otaku".  I used to despise the word, having heard how bad the word's viewed to the average Japanese person.  However, I now like the idea of having a word to identify us, and it wouldn't be the first word to have it's meaning tweaked when introduced to another language.
Mecha should DIE!! They arent interesting to me at all.
Well, some of us aren't that fond of Sailor Moon either.
Or the really cutsey anime where they are all in chibi form dancing around and have attacks like "sugar love pony express" Bleh!! *dies*
I'm in 150% agreement. :lol:
The sad thing is, I'd bet that if there were just one table specializing in hard-to-find stuff, he/she could make a nice tidy sum for his/herself.  At Sakuracon this year I was seeing too much of the same stuff on different tables, especially Bleach and Naruto.
~Disco Pete~

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 11:40:55 pm »
Quote from: "Disco Pete"
The sad thing is, I'd bet that if there were just one table specializing in hard-to-find stuff, he/she could make a nice tidy sum for his/herself.  At Sakuracon this year I was seeing too much of the same stuff on different tables, especially Bleach and Naruto.

Please do define hard to find.  And would a Naruto Head band in leather and steel that said "Insert your name hear" be a hard to find item.   Have you ever thought of making up your own Disco Village emblam
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 12:43:44 pm »
Quote from: "Xaam"
When a tall and skinny zit-faced white guy is following me around and rattling on about every random japanese thing he knows....its really pathetic. I just wanna grab his shoulders and scream in his face "You're not japanese! Get over it!".

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well....ah well. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's hard to swallow when someone won't shut up about anime. Extreme otakus = big turnoff.

funny thing is i dont consider this extream otaku ness thats newbi annyoing cat girl (even if its a guy) action
extream otaku should be more of a com-plament, not "i know this  let me cram it down your throat"=cat girl
extream
well i enjoy anime so i studied japanses for a year, to understand the langue better
the second has an air of respectablity
i dont know if this makes sence here i go again
having to give a perswation speach so doing on on the event of a anime convetion to edugcate the pubic about the fun stuff there
taking somthing you would have to do anyway and giving it a anime twist
because its something you love, not talking to hear your self blow air
once again not sure if that makes sence
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Xaam

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/allyson_l
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2006, 12:15:32 am »
having to give a perswation speach so doing on on the event of a anime convetion to edugcate the pubic about the fun stuff there
taking somthing you would have to do anyway and giving it a anime twist
because its something you love, not talking to hear your self blow air
once again not sure if that makes sence

Thank you. Yes, that does make sense. Perhaps studying and repeating the language is not what annoys me, but rather it is the delivery in which it is given. Any form of genuine passion for a subject is naturally attractive, contagious and persuasive. However, obsession is a sign of mental instability, it makes me uncomfortable and is a big turn off. It is good to make that clear distinction. So here's my revision:

Japanese (the language and the culture) = very yes

having a complete fixation on said language and culture, to the point of questioning a person's capacity to think on other things = big turn off
I refuse to believe people refuse to believe the truth.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 07:26:39 am »
I'm not a huge fan of:

Mecha
The old school animes like akira or speed racer
Animes with lots of gore or just too many action scenes
Hentai
Animes that have say 2D characters and 3D backgrounds.. it's like pick one or the other..

Hmm and some dubbed animes that have been butched with waaay too much slang added into the scripts, that is why I don't watch most of the animes on television.

That is all I can think of for now.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2006, 04:53:03 pm »
Im not really into those depressing anime ie. Lain. The whole Im too dark and life sux thing is just too emo. And Lain just had too many ppl killing themselves or drugging up because life sucked.

I however am proud to say I LOVE MECH ANIME! Vandred, Gundams, Evangelion (still kinda dark for my taste). I just get a rush from the gun fights, the flying, and all around badassness. I even like the more political sides of the gundam series.

As for hentai? Meh I'll watch it but its got to be more fan service. More along the lines of a series with some adult content. And even then its got to be "normal" none of that alien tentacle thing. Thats just gross.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2006, 06:02:01 pm »
-dubbed anime
-sports anime/manga
-FURRIES. I'm not talking Felicia.  I'm talking FULL-OUT fur costumes.  Freaks me out.  Ever since I was a kid!  I used to RUN from Fred Bear, it's just so creepy!
-generic ninja cosplay -_- Yeah, you have a T-shirt on your head.  No, it is not a cosplay XD
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2006, 07:31:18 pm »
some other things that I don't like would be
-using the word baka in every other sentence like your fluent in japanese or something. If you're really so cool, why don't you actually hold an intelligent conversation? .... >.< ouch
-the company 4-kids or whatever it's called.... 'nuff said
-pronoucing a name reeeaaaaalllly bad... I know that that sounds extreme okatu-ish, but c'mon... saSUke? inuWasha?naruDo? .... and yes, I HAVE heard those.
-scary OBSESSIVE otaku... scenario
"I JUST LUUUV SASUKE *drools*, I WATCH LIKE EVERY SINGLE EPISODE THAT HAS HIM IN IT DAILY *annoying girlish squeal*!!! I ALSO KNOW HOW MANY TIMES HE APPEARS IN THE ANIME... YES YES, I'VE COUNTED- IF HE WERE REAL, I'D TAKE SOME OF HIS HAIR AND MAKE IT INTO A VOODOO DOLL*starts foaming at the mouth*- etc. etc...... yeah, now do you see my point?... um ... please cease your insanity for the sake of mankind T__T ... (and yes, I might've exaggerated a bit, but you know what I mean) XD

wow, I'm usually not this mean, you'll have to forgive me on this one... heh heh

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2006, 11:13:03 pm »
dislikes ...

- underage anime girls with big breasts. you're ******** me, right?

----------------------------

Modified due to foul language
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:44:06 pm by kylite »
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
"I'm not really into..."
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2006, 04:18:18 pm »
Quote from: "oishiidesuyo"
dislikes ...

- underage anime girls with big breasts. you're **** me, right?

XD

- To add on to that - JAILBAIT @ CONS dressed in really revealing outfits.  I am soooo utterly apalled that parents would allow their young girl to dress like that!  I saw a few at Sakuracon and about DIED.
- anime with boobs that are just SURREAL.  There's this one . . . gah, but the chicks boobs DEAD SERIOUSLY are 3 or 4 times the size of their heads.  It's sOOOOOO gross XP  I appreciate an anime hottie like any other fan,but it's just disgusting to have ridiculous boobs . . .
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .