Author Topic: Location and Dates  (Read 3611 times)

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
Location and Dates
« on: December 09, 2005, 08:10:34 am »
One of the most important things that make a Con successful is the location. It isn't just about the Hotel that is important; it is the location of the Hotel compared to the area surrounding it. A lot of guests are either driven in, fly in or for some reason or another will not have a vehicle during a con. It is important to have a lot of things nearby within walking distance food as well as entertainment. It is also important to have other options for staying nearby for people who want to attend but may not be able to afford the hotel that the Con is at. Keeping the same location is also important for familiarity reason and comfort for returning guests.

This was primarily the main reason that Kumoricon 2005 was so good. Not only were 6 different hotel/motels to stay at within walking distance. Major mall literally across the street with a full food court, 2 theatres across the street as well as right next to MAX so anyone who was old enough could hop downtown to enjoy the nightlife in Portland.

Now the location has changed to Red Lion Hotel on the River. Has anyone even seen the hotel, visited it, looked at the space as well as what is nearby? I have stayed there and although a nice comfortable stay, it is not a convention hotel. Not only is space limited but even if you wanted to move some things outside there is no room for it. There are a couple fast food places within walking distance. SuperCenter is further than half-mile when your walking and not convenient. There isn't any major transportation to downtown unless you are taking a cab or going to learn the bus route. It is not 15 minutes from the Airport driving, it is longer than that especially with Portland traffic unless you are coming in the middle of the night. It is good that they have a shuttle but the shuttle does have limited times of running. Not as easy to take MAX or as cheap to take a cab as it was from our previous location.

Date

I have seen it stressed that the date is important. That it is important that we keep the same dates because of the extra day for Labor day would mean that more people would show up.

A date is important but not because of a holiday or it was the same date as last year. It is important that it doesn't interfere with anything local that could be going on, other conventions so you are not competing. During that weekend Cascadia Con (WA), DragonCon (GA), Anime Fest (TX), Pacific Media Exp (CA), Kimi no Hanyo (CA) are going on. The reason it is important to know what cons are going on is not only because you want people to attend but you also want guests to attend. Anime Fest is a fairly large and decent con in TX that most of the local distributions like ADV go too. Which means they will most likely not send guests out when someone is local. Because of the holiday the hotel we had 2005 in was booked and since it was decided to not change it, even a little we are getting stuck with a lower quality area.

Changing a date to because of a location is a viable reason. Almost all Cons go through this at least once if not multiple times, Dragon Con, Anime Expo, Anime Fest, etc have gone through changes because of this. It happens but the reason to change a location shouldn't be because the date for the hotel was booked.

The extra holiday isn't what makes a con bigger and succeeded. If it was I wonder what the other Cons that don't happen around a holiday (majority of them) excuses are for being as big then. Changing the date to the next or previous weekend to allow use of the old location is a better idea. In fact changing the date to fall upon a weekend when a major con isn't happening is better as it provides easier access to get guest panels and speakers from anime companies, etc.

Summary (for those not wanting to read the whole thing)

1.  Red Lion is a bad idea to use for Kumoricon 2006. It is smaller, poor location and not as accessible.
2.  I understand that the old location was booked for the dates. The dates are good and I understand wanting the extra holiday but the location is more important.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Location and Dates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 11:01:19 am »
There was a lot of concideration in choosing the hotel.  The Red Lion was not our first choice, but I still feel it's suitable for the convention.  There is a free shuttle provided by the hotel to the MAX Yellow Line at the Expo Center, the Super Center is close enough by, there are other hotel options (Though it actually hurts the con when you stay at a different hotel.).

As for changing the dates, we did look at several alternate dates at the Doubletree, but the only date that was available was Thanksgiving Weekend.  While we did hold the 1st Kumoricon on Thanksgiving weekend, at the size the convention is now, that just would not have worked out.

As we get later into the year the hotel convention spaces get booked up rather quickly.  The only major choices we had were moving to the Red Lion, or going to the Convention Center, and we can't afford to go there this year.

This should be the only year that Kumoricon is at the Red Lion, it's still a really nice hotel, and there is a lot of convention space in there, it's just laid out differently, so we've had to adapt.

In conclusion, the best way that people can help out Kumoricon into moving someplace else is to make this year a spectacular year, and we'll go into 2007 knowing what we can get.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
Location and Dates
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:06:39 pm »
How come it says on the banner Jantzen Beach Or for the location of the hotel?

On the first page you announced it in the Portland Or hotel?

Which one is it?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Location and Dates
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 01:16:49 am »
I just wanted to point out to people there is more then one Red Lion hotel in Portland, so be careful and make sure you get the right one by Jantzen Beach.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Location and Dates
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:54:10 am »
Kyuubi, it's both. Jantzen Beach is in Portland, along the Columbia River. Check the Hotel Information page for the best, hopefully clearest possible location info.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Location and Dates
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 03:37:26 pm »
Quote from: "HaSanGo"
Location<snip>
Now the location has changed to Red Lion Hotel on the River. Has anyone even seen the hotel, visited it, looked at the space as well as what is nearby? <snip>.

Several science fiction conventions, including NorwesCon & OryCon have been held successfully in that hotel (usually referred to as the "other" hotel since we were actually in both that Red Lion and the hotel across I-5 -- currently named "Thunderbird" ). These coventions are typically about 1200 - 2000 attendees.

Pluses:
*Cheaper to stay in than in downtown hotel
*Parking is FREE
*The hotel rooms are much larger than downtown Marriott
*The hotel staff is used to seeing costumed people all the time
*Did I mention that parking is FREE?
*Safer location - don't have scary gorks trying to harrass you when you walk outside for a bit.
*Small shopping center nearby w/ several food choices. There's also a Safeway within walking distance for purchasing other foodstuffs.
*Right on River, so GREAT for outdoor photographs
*Few if any non-convention types will be wandering around (again, less risk of getting mugged)
*Allow parties in rooms
*Allow convention hospitality to serve its own food and beer rather than forcing catering.
*Breakfast buffet is better than Marriott's

minuses
*May be a little small for Kumori if it's expected to expand well beyond 2500.

Is there a chance that we can also get additional con-space at the "Thunderbird" or whatever the other hotel next to the Red Lion is now called? (it was a Red Lion as well previously). Having the convention spread between those two hotels also works out reasonably well as there is easy walking between the two and both have nice large meeting rooms available.

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
Location and Dates
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:12:57 pm »
Every location has its pros and cons. I must admit that I was sceptical of this location and still am but there are a good amount of pros to it and in the end I think this location was a good choice. Maybe If we have a bang up year for 2007 we could go back to the 2006 location and negotiate for parking validation with addmission? Just an idea...

As far as the date is concerned that would be extreemly detrimental to publicity if the date dramatically changed since we are trying to set up for 2007 while working on 2006. Also life happens so continuing to have a stable date will have a more stable fan base. More people that can plan to go to it year after year and plan for it. It becomes easier to remember, plan for, come to and work with.

So, yes location is important by I conclude that date is actually equally important not less.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
Location and Dates
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 02:08:39 am »
This is a great thread and I am learning alot about the hotel and the where the choices are coming from for the con and for the con goers.  

I had not thought about having the con spit with 2 hotels.. that would make things intresting. I worry that it might not be posible but where there is a will there is a way.

The dates seem to have been well established now but if we aren't willing to concider changes we might lose perspective.

I would like to get Kcon to the convention center but we just are not there yet.  I worry about the convention center because of the the posiblity of it not being that safe around there for everyone.  

The Marriot was a great location but the hotel sucked big time sadly and I never want to go back there.  

The Publicity is looking ahead for 07 and this is a good idea for the con in general to help with growth and ensuring that we can get the good suff.  Some things can't be pushed that far ahead but some can and when they are worked on earlier then they will be better.
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Location and Dates
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 08:22:45 am »
Quote from: "spindrift"
This is a great thread and I am learning alot about the hotel and the where the choices are coming from for the con and for the con goers.  <snip>
I would like to get Kcon to the convention center but we just are not there yet.  I worry about the convention center because of the the posiblity of it not being that safe around there for everyone.  
<snip>  

I'd be happiest if it NEVER went to a convention center. The convention center is difficult to drive to, parking is heinously expensive, and there aren't many hotels nearby. Besides downtown is painfully expensive.

Having the convention span 2 hotels can work, we've seen it happen with Orycon and NorwesCon and it worked fine.

Another possibility is: instead of expanding KumoriCon's size, limit it to a certain number of attendees and then create yet another anime convention that can happen at a different time of year in Portland. It's not necessary for each city to have just ONE anime convention per year... we can have more. Science Fiction conventions happen multiple times per year in any given region, so there's no reason we can't do the same for anime. Besides, this will allow more people to attend (some people can't come on the weekend KumoriCon is scheduled.) Perhaps have KumoriCon A on Labor Day weekend and KumoriCon B on Memorial Day weekend... just a thought